Fresno, CA

CBG321

I hope this is the right spot to post this.  I toured Fresno State for a potential Graduate school program and liked the school.  I toured an seemingly amazing apartment with crazy amenities and price only to check on yelp and see that it was party central and catered to the sports team and rowdy jocks.

No big deal until I look on yelp and see even the highest rated apartments have some kind of bad review associated with them, not minor it was ugly stuff but my car was broken into they charged me insane amounts of money, roach/mice infestations, horrible management etc.

I know no apartment is going to be perfect but i'm going to be in Graduate school I'm NOT there to party and won't be able to succeed in my program if i'm tired because of rowdy neighbors.

So my super long question is where near Fresno State University can I find safe, affordable housing that is for adults not rowdy college students?  I realize how lucky I have been in all my past renting experiences not to have any of the above mentioned problems.  

Thanks for any insight!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there! I just graduated from Fresno State with my bachelors and we are not a hardcore party school but there is definitely partying at the sororities/fraternities and the cheap apartments. I lived at North Park and that is because they are dirt cheap and I had few options financially. There were some roaches, some loud neighbors, some car thefts nearby, and bad management. If your budget is higher then $350 I would suggest anything in Clovis or North Fresno. Those will run you from $400-$650 depending on how nice and where you are( assuming you get a 2 bedroom and split). If you get your own apartment it will cost you more. Pretty much you need to be at least a 5 minute drive away from campus and towards Clovis or towards Herndon Avenue. The opposite directions are the bad parts of town and you may find your car missing or broken into. Good Luck!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction towards Clovis or North Fresno.  I am willing to get a side job and pay extra to avoid any roaches or potential break ins or car damage.  That would not be an ideal living environment, I'd be very distracted and scared to live somewhere that was typical!  I'll start filling out those scholarship applications to try to give myself a bigger cushion for apartment rent!  And seek some roommates to reduce the cost.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction towards Clovis or North Fresno.  I am willing to get a side job and pay extra to avoid any roaches or potential break ins or car damage.  That would not be an ideal living environment, I'd be very distracted and scared to live somewhere that was typical!  I'll start filling out those scholarship applications to try to give myself a bigger cushion for apartment rent!  And seek some roommates to reduce the cost.

Thanks!

I am from Clovis originally and I second the idea about Clovis. I lived in an apartment that was 5-10 minutes from campus by bike in Clovis and was $810 for a decent-sized 2-bedroom in a very quiet complex. I'd suggest looking a bit further out from campus (not south of Shaw Ave. definitely north or east).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know nothing except what I've read on like google searches + what I see on google maps.

I've been accepted to Grad School and not sure if anyone recommends any specific quiet apartments? or specific study areas besides the library (which looks really nice online)

I'm from So-cal so its only a 3 hr drive but I've never been to central california! I know its rather isolated? It looks like there is life around campus so I should not be too bored. 

What do people do around there? Is there any hiking or natural things? 

What are the schools out there like?/are there any major hospitals? Do people fight over parking..its crazy with parking in LA.

What's the culture (I currently live in the ghetto in LA so that doesn't concern me). Please give me as many details as you can! I heard clovis is okay? Is it really that different?

PS.- plan to by an air purifier since its really bad air quality there!

Thanks for all your advice and input.