Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

Hi 2016 hopefuls!

I've applied to 4 MA programs in cultural anthropology and received the decisions: 

1. Cornell: accepted (exceptional admission, as the MA program is not officially launched until next year)

2. Indiana Bloomington: rejected  (they accepted less than 10)

3. Rutgers NB: accepted (had an interview with my potential advisor)

4. Nevada Reno: accepted (unanimously).

Now waiting for Fulbright grant decision in May on which school to fund. Best of luck to you all. 

11 hours ago, Baloch said:

Hi 2016 hopefuls!

I've applied to 4 MA programs in cultural anthropology and received the decisions: 

1. Cornell: accepted (exceptional admission, as the MA program is not officially launched until next year)

Now waiting for Fulbright grant decision in May on which school to fund. Best of luck to you all. 

I almost applied to Reno but decided against it. It's still in the early stages of its graduate school specialty in bioarchaeology. But they have an amazing dental anthropologist on staff I was going to work with. I just didn't have the money to apply to too many schools. So I decided to take it off my list.

But congrats!!! You'll have a good time making choices I'm sure.

Thanks Bioarch, Reno seems charming but I'm going to decline. I was wondering if your POI research themes are similar to yours but differ in the geographic focus, does it matter or the thematic match is what's important especially for a PhD?

15 hours ago, Baloch said:

Thanks Bioarch, Reno seems charming but I'm going to decline. I was wondering if your POI research themes are similar to yours but differ in the geographic focus, does it matter or the thematic match is what's important especially for a PhD?

I'm not doing my PhD yet, but everyone that I've talked to, including POIs, have said that what should truly matter is the concepts used. That should match your POI more than geography. That's how my MA admissions both were. Not many people work in my specific region of the world doing what I want to do, so I have to just go off of concepts.

On March 28, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Baloch said:

Hi 2016 hopefuls!

What do you mean by exceptional admission for Cornell?

3 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

I'm not doing my PhD yet, but everyone that I've talked to, including POIs, have said that what should truly matter is the concepts used. That should match your POI more than geography. That's how my MA admissions both were. Not many people work in my specific region of the world doing what I want to do, so I have to just go off of concepts.

Thanks for the answer, I thought so too, and maybe you can support your research by an outsider for authentication.

2 hours ago, birchleaf said:

What do you mean by exceptional admission for Cornell?

The department doesn't usually offer terminal MA, but since I'm a Fulbrighter my grant is specifically for masters, but I'll try to continue afterwards. However, they will launch an official MA program in cultural anthro perhaps in 2017-18.