Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

6 minutes ago, AnthroFilm said:

Depends on the school EA76.. Florida schools are open today but some NC schools are closed (for weather, not holiday)

I think a number of the schools I'm waiting on have closed for Presidents' Day, unfortunately... At least one more day of waiting for me.

As someone who works in university administration, a lot of students have today off but depending on the school the folks who make decisions or who send emails notifying accepted students can be at work. :)

Edited by MedAnth077

14 hours ago, LKK said:

Hi everyone! Finally created a profile for myself, have been following this thread for a long time. Big congrats to all of you who have made it so far. I've applied to a total of 5 schools. 4 in (socio)cultural anthropology: U Chicago, UC Berkeley, CU Boulder and U South Florida + PhD in Food Studies in NYU. Quite many reach schools and I think Berkeley and Chicago are already out of question since I didn't receive invitations for an interview. However, I still hope I will get in to some of these schools.. that would be the dream. I practically spent the whole last year studying and polishing my SoP (I was also working full time, so all weekends and evenings were dedicated to this matter). Hope everyone is doing okay with the waiting!

Also applied to Boulder and South Florida!

Well, I was denied from one of my schools which really sucked to see because it was one of the top MA programs for me. My POI there researches exactly what I want to research so I thought I'd have a very good chance of being admitted there. I guess I was wrong. But I did talk on the phone with another POI and I hope our discussion was good. She told me that if I get accepted anywhere else before I hear from her to get ahold of her before accepting another offer and she can see if their program can beat the funding offer, if one is given. So it sounds to me like she is expecting me to be admitted there.

What do you all think of this???

I think that sounds like amazing news bioarch_fan. While I am thrilled that I already have my acceptance letter... I am still waiting to hear about funding... Letter made it very clear that not all who are accepted will receive any funding. Good luck!

Did anyone hear ANYTHING from/about Columbia? Complete silence about them this year. 

Congrats to all the admits! And please keep the profiles coming--you're all so fascinating. 

I've been lurking and obsessively refreshing this thread for weeks but finally posting! Claiming that Oxford archaeology acceptance!

Now to start compiling a list of Ph.D. programs to apply for next season!

I'm so relieved I got in - I have a good GPA in my current MA program but my undergrad was very average. Also I've attended state schools and community college so I wasn't sure I'd be competitive enough. Also why I didn't apply for a Ph.D. This was the only program I applied to - I did the same thing for undergrad and current grad.

No field experience or publications. Have a strong professional background and my specialization in dress and adornment might have worked in my favor.

Good luck to all those who have yet to hear back! This thread is also really helping with my internal debate of whether I should do a Ph.D. in anth, arch, or another discipline. The dream is to stay in arch at Oxford!

51 minutes ago, sts4656 said:

Has anyone applied to and heard from UC Davis (sociocultural), Harvard (social) and UCSF-Berkeley Joint program (medical)?

Hi STS4656-- I had an interview at Harvard (social) about 3 weeks ago, but no word since. I was really hoping to hear at the start of this week. You?

1 minute ago, EA76 said:

Hi STS4656-- I had an interview at Harvard (social) about 3 weeks ago, but no word since. I was really hoping to hear at the start of this week. You?

Hi EA76, I haven't received any e-mail from Harvard for interview or any other notice, so I assume it to be rejection.. I am also expecting them to announce at least the acceptances until March, good luck to you..

7 hours ago, sts4656 said:

Has anyone applied to and heard from UC Davis (sociocultural), Harvard (social) and UCSF-Berkeley Joint program (medical)?

I got into UC Davis (sociocultural) with a decent offer. Still waiting on a few places to see if I have options to weigh. Davis notified me over a month ago, so my guess is that they're waiting on their early decisions to confirm before making any additional decisions.

20 hours ago, mini monkey said:

One of my friends heard from them a week ago. So they should be sending out information soon.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind me asking, was your friend accepted?

Have y'all heard of Sci-Hub? It's basically 47 million pirated journal articles and while it definitely opens up debate about who owns scientific knowledge, it's for sure useful if you don't want to pay $30 to read articles in preparation for interviews!  

10 hours ago, MedAnth077 said:

Did anyone else not get a rejection notice OR an interview with MIT? Kinda confused. 

Who did you propose to work with? I'm just curious. I went to their open house back in October, and thought about applying.