Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

Hello everyone! First time posting here. If I haven't heard from a school but other people have does that mean I'm fucked? I know that is a super general question but I'm just getting worried from hearing from all of the superstars (congrats to all of you!) on here saying they have interviews. 

Also, if I'm invited to a visit/recruitment weekend, all expenses paid but no interview mentioned, what does that generally indicate? Is the interview implied or, even better, is admittance implied?

Thanks! 

20 hours ago, DYOH87 said:

First-time caller, long-time listener who is not sure that actually registering an account here was best (already spend too much time stressing over the results page as is!) but went ahead and did it anyway. Waiting to hear back from medical/psychological/cultural anth PhD programs at Harvard, NYU, UCLA, UCSD and U of Chicago (Comparative Human Development + Sociocultural). No luck so far but here's to hoping! 

I've been sort of second-guessing my decision not to apply to any "safety" schools, but I do have confidence in my resume. Bachelor's in Anthropology from a top twenty American university and a Master's in Medical Anthropology from a top five UK university. Graduated with distinction from grad school. 7 years of NGO experience at a youth organization in America and 1.5 years of teaching experience in Asia. Have carried out relevant fieldwork experience on mental health treatment modalities in Asia as part of my Master's dissertation (which also got awarded distinction). Pitched a project, piggybacking off my experience living/working/researching in Asia and working with younger populations in general, on psychotherapy in Asia in youth/young adult ethnographic contexts. Secured four letters of recommendation from professors who know me well. 164/153/4.5 GRE score. All programs seem to present a good fit with my research interests, and made contact with 1-3 potential advisors (at all but one program) who echoed that sentiment. Wondering if others who applied to those programs have similar profiles?  

CHD at U of Chicago is currently my top choice, so it stung a little to see that people had started getting interviews. Does anybody know if no interview = rejection from them? I asked my POI, who said that they were unable to disclose any information about my application but that I'd be hearing relatively soon. 

Anyway, hope everybody gets some good news! 

Hi there!

I similarly frequent the forums, however don't often find reason to post. I haven't seen many people posting for this admission term who've mentioned specifically about applying to psychological anthro programs. I've also applied to UCSD's psychological anthro track.

I contacted a recent grad admit in anthro at UCSD (bio, fall 15) prior to applying to their program and asked her a few questions about her experience and process. Anyhow, I recently contacted her about two weeks ago (as anxiety was pulling me toward exhaustion) and asked about her admission experience, and last year's timing of acceptance notifications. She told me that her and her cohort heard back from the department at the end of the second week in February (this week!!). In her case, she received a call from her POI. I also recently called the grad offices to see if the extended application deadline may have an impact on when the department will be sending admissions out (as it changed from January 5, to the 11th, to the 18th). At the time I called the grad offices, I was notified, however not assuredly, that admission decisions may be delayed a week or so. Here's to us and good luck waiting it out hopefully not much longer!!

May I ask who was your POI for their program? 

Chris-

I'd also like to throw a "process" question out there--- do most departments have visit days? Do most departments pay for those visit days? I'm getting nervous I won't be able to afford visiting 2-3 different schools, since the costs can really add up! 

The UMich thing was making me cringe today. So, so unfortunate. I felt really bad for the candidates, but also really bad for whatever administrative assistant had to field that mess. Ouch! 

3 hours ago, christie.s said:

Hi there!

I similarly frequent the forums, however don't often find reason to post. I haven't seen many people posting for this admission term who've mentioned specifically about applying to psychological anthro programs. I've also applied to UCSD's psychological anthro track.

I contacted a recent grad admit in anthro at UCSD (bio, fall 15) prior to applying to their program and asked her a few questions about her experience and process. Anyhow, I recently contacted her about two weeks ago (as anxiety was pulling me toward exhaustion) and asked about her admission experience, and last year's timing of acceptance notifications. She told me that her and her cohort heard back from the department at the end of the second week in February (this week!!). In her case, she received a call from her POI. I also recently called the grad offices to see if the extended application deadline may have an impact on when the department will be sending admissions out (as it changed from January 5, to the 11th, to the 18th). At the time I called the grad offices, I was notified, however not assuredly, that admission decisions may be delayed a week or so. Here's to us and good luck waiting it out hopefully not much longer!!

May I ask who was your POI for their program? 

Chris-

Check your inbox! 

5 hours ago, MedAnth077 said:

I'd also like to throw a "process" question out there--- do most departments have visit days? Do most departments pay for those visit days? I'm getting nervous I won't be able to afford visiting 2-3 different schools, since the costs can really add up! 

The UMich thing was making me cringe today. So, so unfortunate. I felt really bad for the candidates, but also really bad for whatever administrative assistant had to field that mess. Ouch! 

I think, although I am not certain, that most departments will fly you out to visit if you are accepted. Some fly you out before the official acceptance (Northwestern, for example) for a visit weekend that is partially an interview too. 

6 hours ago, Personperson said:

Hello everyone! First time posting here. If I haven't heard from a school but other people have does that mean I'm fucked? I know that is a super general question but I'm just getting worried from hearing from all of the superstars (congrats to all of you!) on here saying they have interviews. 

Also, if I'm invited to a visit/recruitment weekend, all expenses paid but no interview mentioned, what does that generally indicate? Is the interview implied or, even better, is admittance implied?

Thanks! 

A visit/recruitment weekend without an official offer in hand is always an interview, whether they say it or not. Usually, if they are flying you out, their shortlist is very short and the majority of interviewees will get offers. Sometimes it takes the form of "meet and greets" with students and the departments, but if you don't have an official offer yet, then they are using that to informally interview you and see if you are a good fit for the department.

10 hours ago, catcatcatdog said:

Congrats!! My Emory interviews were intense -- everywhere else, interviews were essentially a friendly intellectual chat, but at Emory, they asked me whether I'd read certain (seemingly obscure) works, why I hadn't if I hadn't, really pushed me on certain aspects of my SOP, things like that. That could just have been the people I spoke with, though. So my advice for Emory would be along the lines of a best defense is a good offense (cliched, I know) -- maybe brush up on your SOP and lit the night before. And don't take it personally -- I thought I'd tanked it there, but happily, I hadn't!

hi cat! i just received an invite to the Emory recruitment weekend. wondering if you would be able to talk more about the structure of the weekend that was set up? how many professors did you speak with? what types of questions were asked of you?

On 2/5/2016 at 10:26 AM, Lele93 said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Oregon yet? I have yet to hear back from any of my schools :(

I applied as bio-anth and haven't heard anything from UO. I'm also in the same boat as you (haven't head anything from any programs yet). 

Officially heard back on interviews, and now just waiting for final decisions! Congratulations to all of you who have already been admitted. Does anyone have a general feeling for how long after interviews you might expect to hear a final outcome on the application? 

13 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

anyone else not hear ANYTHING from brown? im assuming rejection, but would like it officially from website like others have gotten

I also haven't heard anything either way... I agree it'd be nice to have an official response 

11 hours ago, fishplusbird said:

I applied as bio-anth and haven't heard anything from UO. I'm also in the same boat as you (haven't head anything from any programs yet). 

Yeah this waiting thing suuucks. Thanks for letting me know! I hope we both start hearing back soon 

20 hours ago, Personperson said:

Thanks! 

My experience last year was that when other people heard back and I didn't, it pretty much meant I was out. Except...

14 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

anyone else not hear ANYTHING from brown? im assuming rejection, but would like it officially from website like others have gotten

Last year I saw people get acceptances and rejections from Oregon, and I heard nothing.  It ended up meaning that I was on the waitlist.  They ultimately didn't have a spot for me, but at least I was in the running.  So for those of you who haven't heard anything from Brown, I would guess you're on the waitlist.

34 minutes ago, Meglet said:

Last year I saw people get acceptances and rejections from Oregon, and I heard nothing.  It ended up meaning that I was on the waitlist.  They ultimately didn't have a spot for me, but at least I was in the running.  So for those of you who haven't heard anything from Brown, I would guess you're on the waitlist.

I'm wait listed at brown. They sent an email saying the wait list was short and they hoped they would find a spot for me. I know another person who was notified they were on the wait list too. My guess is that unless the majority of their accepted and wait listed people decline their offers, you might be out of luck, sorry. I'm sure they sometimes reserve some applications for that reason, but from the email I got, it suggested that the whole wait list had been notified. The other wait listed person received word for word the exact same form email, and we both got them last week. That's all the info I have though, so I could be wrong! 

52 minutes ago, jellyfish11 said:

I'm wait listed at brown. They sent an email saying the wait list was short and they hoped they would find a spot for me. I know another person who was notified they were on the wait list too. My guess is that unless the majority of their accepted and wait listed people decline their offers, you might be out of luck, sorry. I'm sure they sometimes reserve some applications for that reason, but from the email I got, it suggested that the whole wait list had been notified. The other wait listed person received word for word the exact same form email, and we both got them last week. That's all the info I have though, so I could be wrong! 

It's disappointing but I'd rather know what to expect so thanks for the peace of mind! :) 

Hello everyone. I am asking a question on a friend's behalf (I have already made my Ph.D. decision and have been admitted). He submitted his application two months ago to many universities. He asked someone in another (related) department to submit a LOR on his behalf. He's known this professor for about a year. The professor submitted one of his LORs, but then disappeared. It's been two months; he has failed to submit any additional LORs to any other program. He hasn't been in his office since the end of last semester, and he's sent dozens of emails and calls to this professor to no avail. Apparently no one has seen this guy (not even other department members)! When he realized what was going on, he asked a fourth person to provide a LOR (which they did). So now he has 3 LORs for his applications, but 4 listed recommendation providers. 

He thinks this will look very badly for his application, but I've seen other people in other threads before say that this doesn't necessarily reflect badly on the applicant but the professor. What do you all think?

Edited by mini monkey

19 minutes ago, mini monkey said:

Hello everyone. I am asking a question on a friend's behalf (I have already made my Ph.D. decision and have been admitted). He submitted his application two months ago to many universities. He asked someone in another (related) department to submit a LOR on his behalf. He's known this professor for about a year. The professor submitted one of his LORs, but then disappeared. It's been two months; he has failed to submit any additional LORs to any other program. He hasn't been in his office since the end of last semester, and he's sent dozens of emails and calls to this professor to no avail. Apparently no one has seen this guy (not even other department members)! When he realized what was going on, he asked a fourth person to provide a LOR (which they did). So now he has 3 LORs for his applications, but 4 listed recommendation providers. 

He thinks this will look very badly for his application, but I've seen other people in other threads before say that this doesn't necessarily reflect badly on the applicant but the professor. What do you all think?

As long as his other three recs are glowing, the rest of his materials were in on time, and his application was really strong, I don't think they would care about the other rec. 

3 hours ago, jellyfish11 said:

As long as his other three recs are glowing, the rest of his materials were in on time, and his application was really strong, I don't think they would care about the other rec. 

Thank you for your response! That is what I figured. I think his other letters are very strong, so hopefully they overlook the original 3rd provider. 

On 2/9/2016 at 11:04 AM, anthrostudentcyn said:

How did the Brown applicant who posted see their status?

I was notified via a phone call from the DGS last Friday. There's another user who posted their acceptance on the result page recently saying they accepted the offer, but I haven't received anything official yet, nor does my application page in the portal look any different.

On February 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM, MedAnth077 said:

What's the UMich thing? I scrolled up and down (I'm on mobile) and checked Umich News but didn't see anything. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!

57 minutes ago, birchleaf said:

What's the UMich thing? I scrolled up and down (I'm on mobile) and checked Umich News but didn't see anything. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!

Based on what I saw from the results page UMich had mistakenly e-mailed a bunch of people with offers of admission and then turned around and said it was a mistake and rejected them. And some people even got two rejection e-mails (I guess to drive the point home). All in all, a clusterfuck and really crappy for the candidates :/ 

How are y'all preparing for interviews? I feel like I have to re-read the anthropology canon and have a solid 10 year research plan and read all outcoming articles as well as everything all profs in the department have written and I'M FREAKING OUT. 

I've gotten my first PhD acceptance!!!!! Oh my gosh! I only applied to two PhD programs and eight MA's because I wasn't sure if I would be competitive enough for PhD programs yet but I guess I am!! Ahhhh this is a great day

1 hour ago, bioanth said:

I've gotten my first PhD acceptance!!!!! Oh my gosh! I only applied to two PhD programs and eight MA's because I wasn't sure if I would be competitive enough for PhD programs yet but I guess I am!! Ahhhh this is a great day

Congrats! Where did you get in??