Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

1 hour ago, nobonesaboutit said:

hey everyone thought i'd join in since i am in phd purgatory as well!
i was accepted to an MA in bio at university college london but no funding and not my top choice, and rejected from a phd at ucsb :P
waiting not-so patiently for any word from nyu, boston u, university of tennessee, vanderbilt, unlv, and illinois state

absolutely zero word so far and every time i see one of them pop up on the list my little heart breaks lol

And it looks like UCL cut their Graduate Research Scholarships (if you were doing the research MA) from 20 university-wide to 15, so that's even worse. 

Good luck with BU! Their archy programme wasn't even accepting PhDs for 2016 but hopefully Anthro is looking good!

So much heartbreak.

45 minutes ago, Slagatha said:

And it looks like UCL cut their Graduate Research Scholarships (if you were doing the research MA) from 20 university-wide to 15, so that's even worse. 

Good luck with BU! Their archy programme wasn't even accepting PhDs for 2016 but hopefully Anthro is looking good!

So much heartbreak.

i applied knowing that they have basically no funding because i really liked the idea of having a one year masters as a back up if i don't get into a phd. but now that i got in the price tag is pretty staggering :///////
i went out to BU to meet with my POI and met with some of the grad students back in oct and i thiiiiiiinkkkkkk we got on well. but i haven't heard anything yet and it's my top choice.

4 hours ago, nobonesaboutit said:

hey everyone thought i'd join in since i am in phd purgatory as well!
i was accepted to an MA in bio at university college london but no funding and not my top choice, and rejected from a phd at ucsb :P
waiting not-so patiently for any word from nyu, boston u, university of tennessee, vanderbilt, unlv, and illinois state

absolutely zero word so far and every time i see one of them pop up on the list my little heart breaks lol

What's your specialty?! I'm bio anth as well :)

On 2/3/2016 at 8:30 AM, busybee said:

Congrats, Meglet! 

I am curious about which languages you speak and to what degree? After interviewing at one of my schools with a POI, she told me that one of the reasons she liked my application (verses other applicants with interests in the same area) were my foreign language skills. I got the impression that for anthropology admissions, language and experience in your country/region are crucial elements. It might help some on the forum to hear more about this.

Thanks, everyone!

I theoretically speak advanced German, but it's honestly pretty rusty as I haven't used it since college.  Beginning to Lower Intermediate Arabic, which I mean to start brushing up on to get to a solid intermediate before I start my program.  Basic Spanish and Italian...I suspect having a foundation in Arabic helps me, as does the fact that I can clearly do well with foreign languages in general.  I also meant to mention that since finishing my MA, I've been teaching ESL for adults, scoring ESL tests, and for the past few years teaching high school history.  The teaching experience is probably attractive to some programs.  

BUT, I don't really have much research experience.  My MA had a dissertation (flipped terminology in the UK), but it didn't involve field work.  I've never done any internships or anything, and I only took 2 basic anthropology courses through UNM online.  So hopefully that's encouraging to some people coming from non-anthropology backgrounds, without research experience, etc.  I feel like reading a bunch of anthropology books and going to the AAA conference this fall gave me a much better feel for how to write my SOP after last year's failures.

And for my fellow applicants to Boston University, based on the past few years, we probably shouldn't expect to hear until the very end of February or beginning of March.

13 hours ago, bdesh said:

Ahhhhhhhh it's a yes from UT Austin!!!

Yay! I am so happy for you bdesh! Can I ask-- did you get an interview first? How's your relationship to your possible advisor (I guess this is the POI, right?).   

I'm an international student and have heard that sadly UT Austin mostly accepts students from Texas, do you know anything about this rumour? 

2 hours ago, silsab said:

Yay! I am so happy for you bdesh! Can I ask-- did you get an interview first? How's your relationship to your possible advisor (I guess this is the POI, right?).   

I'm an international student and have heard that sadly UT Austin mostly accepts students from Texas, do you know anything about this rumour? 

That's true for their undergraduate admissions policy, where the top 10% of students from every Texas high school are automatically accepted. At the grad level, their admissions program works just like everywhere else.

This whole waiting thing is now going to make me go crazy. I emailed one of the schools to see where they are in the process and I was told that decisions have been made and sent to the graduate school, who will be the ones to notify students. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign yet. :( I might go insane waiting now that I know for sure decisions have been made.

14 minutes ago, bioarch_fan said:

This whole waiting thing is now going to make me go crazy. I emailed one of the schools to see where they are in the process and I was told that decisions have been made and sent to the graduate school, who will be the ones to notify students. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign yet. :( I might go insane waiting now that I know for sure decisions have been made.

Which school was that?

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to relay some news from the other side. I was an applicant last year and obsessively checked this site for info, so I wanted to repay the favor and give you the info I wished I could've had last year! I'm currently in the CUNY department, cultural anthro. I see some people have already received interview invites-- it is my understanding that this is not necessarily a universal within the department. I was invited for an "interview" around this time last year and went to a department event late February where before I even had my "interview" I was informed of my spot on the admissions list (was on the waiting list at the time). I think interviews generally help them make final shuffles on the list but don't necessarily make or break or determine if you're in or out. I have overheard that the dept. received around 90 something applications and has already narrowed to a smaller cut. Last year accepted or waitlisted students started hearing news around early March but it wasn't until the very day of the deadline that I got a final offer with funding... and it's rather cruel but I think a lot of flat-out rejects have already been decided and they just don't really care, and will inform you once all of the acceptances get dealt with first. I'm happy to answer any other questions, wish you all the best of luck. 

3 hours ago, Lele93 said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Oregon yet? I have yet to hear back from any of my schools :(

I think archaeology at Oregon is all decided, not sure about other subdisciplines. 

2 hours ago, jellyfish11 said:

Which school was that?

It's University of West Florida. I called the graduate school today and they said that notifications should be made in the next couple of days.....so maybe I'll hear back mid-next week then?!?!?! :)

5 hours ago, anthrorando said:

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to relay some news from the other side. I was an applicant last year and obsessively checked this site for info, so I wanted to repay the favor and give you the info I wished I could've had last year! I'm currently in the CUNY department, cultural anthro. I see some people have already received interview invites-- it is my understanding that this is not necessarily a universal within the department. I was invited for an "interview" around this time last year and went to a department event late February where before I even had my "interview" I was informed of my spot on the admissions list (was on the waiting list at the time). I think interviews generally help them make final shuffles on the list but don't necessarily make or break or determine if you're in or out. I have overheard that the dept. received around 90 something applications and has already narrowed to a smaller cut. Last year accepted or waitlisted students started hearing news around early March but it wasn't until the very day of the deadline that I got a final offer with funding... and it's rather cruel but I think a lot of flat-out rejects have already been decided and they just don't really care, and will inform you once all of the acceptances get dealt with first. I'm happy to answer any other questions, wish you all the best of luck. 

Thanks for sharing your experience! Do you remember what type of questions were asked of you in the interview?

6 hours ago, Slagatha said:

I think archaeology at Oregon is all decided, not sure about other subdisciplines. 

Okay cool thank you so much! I am Biological Anthro. I haven't seen many posts on the results page for my discipline so I haven't been sure whether or not people are hearing back and not posting or just haven't heard back :/

15 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

It's University of West Florida. I called the graduate school today and they said that notifications should be made in the next couple of days.....so maybe I'll hear back mid-next week then?!?!?! :)

Hey bioarch_fan! I was chatting you up a while back on this thread and I mentioned that I have a Master's from the UWF anthropology program. Yesterday I was talking to one of the bio professors there (she was one of my LOR on my PhD applications) and she mentioned that the department had already made their recommendations, so you are just waiting for the graduate school there to notify you and that should be soon. I don't know about your situation specifically, but based on that conversation I have a good feeling for you!

On 2/4/2016 at 5:10 AM, jellyfish11 said:

Congratulations!! That's awesome. I hear Austin is a great city. Is this your first acceptance?

Thanks so much! This is my third acceptance so far and I honestly feel so lucky to find myself in this position. I honestly did not expect things to go this well, especially having been rejected across the board last year. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back!!

On 2/5/2016 at 5:55 PM, silsab said:

Thank you silsab! No, I did not get an interview first. I also did not reach out to my potential advisor before hand (for UT Austin, or any of the other schools to which I applied). I have never heard that rumor before and don't really think it applies to Austin at the grad level at least. I think what Ajtz'ihb said is right though. I'm from New Jersey. 

3 hours ago, TheMagicMoment said:

Hey bioarch_fan! I was chatting you up a while back on this thread and I mentioned that I have a Master's from the UWF anthropology program. Yesterday I was talking to one of the bio professors there (she was one of my LOR on my PhD applications) and she mentioned that the department had already made their recommendations, so you are just waiting for the graduate school there to notify you and that should be soon. I don't know about your situation specifically, but based on that conversation I have a good feeling for you!

Yeah I'm really really really hoping that I get in there. It's tied in first for my top schools. But I've been wanting to go to UWF since I learned about my POI's (which is the one you're talking about more than likely) research. I'm just hoping that graduate school will hurry up and send out notifications. I'm starting to literally go insane waiting on these results to come out now. I thought I wouldn't get like this but I am. Lmao.

I just wish the department would send out the unofficial notifications now and then the graduate school. I know some graduate programs do that but it doesn't sound like UWF does at all. :/ But thanks for the confidence boost!!!! :)

2 hours ago, bdesh said:

Thanks so much! This is my third acceptance so far and I honestly feel so lucky to find myself in this position. I honestly did not expect things to go this well, especially having been rejected across the board last year. Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back!!

Thank you silsab! No, I did not get an interview first. I also did not reach out to my potential advisor before hand (for UT Austin, or any of the other schools to which I applied). I have never heard that rumor before and don't really think it applies to Austin at the grad level at least. I think what Ajtz'ihb said is right though. I'm from New Jersey. 

Wow, good for you. And it gives me some hope for next year.

Concerning Austin, did it seem like all their offers are sent out now? Austin and JHU are my last two (rapidly dwindling) hopes...