Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

I'm looking to get a masters in Applied Archaeology or CRM, possibly incorporating GIS into the research I do (whatever that may be, still don't really know yet). I'm applying to these places for sure: Utah State University, University of Oklahoma, and Illinois State University. I'm still unsure about IUP because it popped up in a search engine when I was just  looking for programs, and it seemed that it would help me with getting a job after graduation, but I've also seen negative reviews from undergraduates about the lack of passion from professors.

I'd really appreciate hearing from people who are also applying to these schools or who have considered them but decided against them, and all the lovely reasons!!!

On 1/14/2016 at 7:38 PM, Marshalltown said:

I'm looking to get a masters in Applied Archaeology or CRM, possibly incorporating GIS into the research I do (whatever that may be, still don't really know yet). I'm applying to these places for sure: Utah State University, University of Oklahoma, and Illinois State University. I'm still unsure about IUP because it popped up in a search engine when I was just  looking for programs, and it seemed that it would help me with getting a job after graduation, but I've also seen negative reviews from undergraduates about the lack of passion from professors.

I'd really appreciate hearing from people who are also applying to these schools or who have considered them but decided against them, and all the lovely reasons!!!

What I would say is look at the professors and see what they research. If they have published a lot and seem like they're passionate about their work then give it a shot. Also, emailing those professors you'd want to work with and see what their response is...maybe setting up a time to call them to talk over the phone and hear their voice and any excitement they give off when talking about their research. Don't listen to just undergraduates because they aren't always the best individuals to listen to on instances like this. Maybe try and get ahold of other graduate students and get their take on the department. I don't know much about IUP, so I sadly can't tell you one way or another, but I know talking over the phone with POIs helps A LOT.

Also, maybe you should think about looking into Northern Arizona University, University of New Mexico, and maybe even Florida State University. I'm not sure exactly what your interests are but I know there are a ton of programs out there that do specialize in North American prehistoric archaeology. It just takes a lot of searching to find them all. But if you're okay with just those schools then I say go for it. I know the University of Oklahoma is good. However, I'm not sure about Utah State or Illinois State (I only know one professor there but she specializes in bioarchaeology...that's why I decided against applying there).

AH!  So glad that this forum exists.  My two applications to masters programs aren't due until February 15th. I have, however, already submitted one and I'm planning to submit the other next week.

Needless to say I am really jealous of you folks with earlier deadlines, since you are more likely to hear back sooner! Right now I'm hoping for rejections by early march and acceptances mid/late march. Just two and half long, long months to go! 

So I got accepted to one program with an awesome funding package, merit award, and a PI who is really awesome and does a lot of cool stuff. It sucks waiting to hear back from everywhere else now, because all of my friends/family don't understand that just because I got accepted, I haven't already made my decision. Everyone has just assumed I'll be going to the school I've been accepted to, and that I should just forget about the 9 other schools I'm waiting to hear from. And while I LOVE the school I've been accepted to and the funding for a Master's is amazing and I would be able to do so much interesting research there... I still want to see what happens!! ugh. waiting sucks.

28 minutes ago, cefarrow said:

So I got accepted to one program with an awesome funding package, merit award, and a PI who is really awesome and does a lot of cool stuff. It sucks waiting to hear back from everywhere else now, because all of my friends/family don't understand that just because I got accepted, I haven't already made my decision. Everyone has just assumed I'll be going to the school I've been accepted to, and that I should just forget about the 9 other schools I'm waiting to hear from. And while I LOVE the school I've been accepted to and the funding for a Master's is amazing and I would be able to do so much interesting research there... I still want to see what happens!! ugh. waiting sucks.

I am also in the same boat. I put in twelve total apps. I got one acceptance to a top ten engineering school, which allows me to not care about the safety schools I applied for, but I am still anxiously awaiting the other top tier schools. 

Looks like results are starting to trickle in! Historically it seems like this has been a fairly big week and I'm hoping to hear from many of my schools either this week or next... Good luck everyone! I hope it's a successful season generally this year! Two years ago when I first applied was a really rough season, but I saw on grad cafe that last year many people who were rejected everywhere in 2014 got accepted into top programs for fall 2015! I hope this year is a good year too.

On 1/13/2016 at 8:17 PM, jellyfish11 said:

On the thread last year of this nature, there were over 10 pages by this time of year and people were regularly commenting every day. Are we a less stressed out bunch or just quieter? I know I'm going kind of nuts over here. I just want to know! It looks, from the results board, that the schools are beginning to notify. I just got a request from one of my schools for a different version of my transcript, so I take that to mean that the review process has begun! How are all of you doing? Are you nervous, excited, or successfully distracted? I've been trying to stay off grad cafe, but even with working full time, I check multiple times a day. Alas, the best laid plans...

As one of the people who was frequently commenting on last year's thread...I feel much better about my applications this year than last year.  There's also been more going on in my life, which hasn't allowed me much time to be on the forums.  This year's posts also seem less social, and people are asking less advice/opinions.

I have been successfully distracted, but now I'm starting to get nervous...

Right? I feel like something changed this week. I was very good and totally not stressed for 6-8 weeks after my applications went in (based on the different deadlines), but yesterday something changed. Okay, now I'm nervous! And there's no way I'm going to hear anything for another two weeks, and possibly 3-4. (I looked up the usual notification dates just after submitting, but now I am not allowing myself to look up them up again! I just have to remember them, perhaps inaccurately, because otherwise I will get more obsessive.)

On 1/17/2016 at 11:15 AM, anthrostudentcyn said:

Also did anyone apply to anthropology at McGill?

Hi anthrostudentcyn, I applied to McGill, but to the MA program since I just have my BA right now. Feel free to message me! 

Anyone else apply to Emory? They usually send out interview invites by now, based on what I read on the results page. I called today but the grad coordinator was in back-to-back meetings. Waiting is quite awful, indeed. The closer it gets to the average notification dates of the universities to which I applied, the more nervous I become. 

Hey everyone!

I also was a more obsessive lurker last year than I am this year but starting to get nervous. I applied to 4 schools but I'm absolutely unclear on whether or not interviews are part of the process. The schools I applied to are: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, and Chicago. I remember last year I was completely shocked when some people said they have interviews at Columbia because the year before that (crazy stalker, I know!) nobody said anything about interviews. Ugh. Do any of you know if these schools always conduct interviews or not? 

Also, as much as I wanted to, I didn't establish contact with any POIs. Is this a point against me? I just felt really awkward about emailing them when my research topic was rather nebulous and by the time it was focused and concrete, it was already October. 

I'm rather chill now but anxiety will commence on February 1st on the dot. 

so the chair of the graduate admissions committee for a school i applied to for an MA just emailed me encouraging me to try to change my application to a PhD instead even though it's past the application deadline.... I don't know whether to be flattered or scared. He said he was reading over my app and thinks I should try for the PhD. It's nice that he thinks I should try to be admitted for the PhD instead but a PhD is so much commitment!! idk it feels a little scary. none the less, I changed my application to PhD! (for that particular program at least). It's something I know I want to achieve at some point, but I'm not sure if I'm totally prepared yet.

Edited by bioanth

5 hours ago, bioanth said:

so the chair of the graduate admissions committee for a school i applied to for an MA just emailed me encouraging me to try to change my application to a PhD instead even though it's past the application deadline.... I don't know whether to be flattered or scared. He said he was reading over my app and thinks I should try for the PhD. It's nice that he thinks I should try to be admitted for the PhD instead but a PhD is so much commitment!! idk it feels a little scary. none the less, I changed my application to PhD! (for that particular program at least). It's something I know I want to achieve at some point, but I'm not sure if I'm totally prepared yet.

Congratulations!! That is really awesome! Honestly, I have my masters and will have to repeat some coursework if I get into a phd program. I tried to go right from undergrad, but I didn't get in to any phd programs. You are much more likely to be funded for a phd program, and funded well. After 2-3 years, you will have a better sense of whether the phd is really what you want. If it is, you're already on the way! If not, you can leave with your masters, which many people do. Anyway, that's just my two cents... Good luck! That seems like a really good sign that the professor really likes your ideas and wants to work with you.

1 hour ago, jellyfish11 said:

Congratulations!! That is really awesome! Honestly, I have my masters and will have to repeat some coursework if I get into a phd program. I tried to go right from undergrad, but I didn't get in to any phd programs. You are much more likely to be funded for a phd program, and funded well. After 2-3 years, you will have a better sense of whether the phd is really what you want. If it is, you're already on the way! If not, you can leave with your masters, which many people do. Anyway, that's just my two cents... Good luck! That seems like a really good sign that the professor really likes your ideas and wants to work with you.

Thanks!! You make a really good point, both about funding and leaving with a master's if it's too much. I didn't even think about that!

1 hour ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

How common is it to apply out of undergrad and get rejected across the board?

I think it's pretty common - most people in my MA program had applied to phd programs and gotten rejected. That being said, I know plenty of people who got into phd programs with just a BA. I think I was unsuccessful because my research interests had changed and I didn't have such a relevant writing sample. My MA year allowed me to work really hard on a writing sample (my thesis), prove I could succeed in graduate coursework, and get new letters of rec. Our advisors told us why we weren't accepted to the phd program, and for many people it was the writing sample, not having enough research experience in the field, lack of theory courses, or undergrad from a less prestigious school where the letters of rec and grades mean less to the admission committee. I definitely think it's smart to try to get into a phd with only a ba, but if you don't get into a program you're excited about, doing well in an MA program can help you get into a top phd program with funding.

4 minutes ago, Meglet said:

An acceptance!  I got into University of Arkansas!  Funding is TBA, but after straight rejections last year, this is super exciting!

Congrats Meglet!!!!!!!!! That's amazing!!!

9 minutes ago, Meglet said:

An acceptance!  I got into University of Arkansas!  Funding is TBA, but after straight rejections last year, this is super exciting!

Congratulations!! That's so awesome. I was rejected everywhere last time I applied too, so I know it must feel so amazing to get accepted early this cycle! Hope you're out celebrating!