Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

Does anyone know how the Penn State timeline works? I had a Skype interview with three faculty members including POI a couple of weeks ago and just this past Friday received an email inviting me on a campus visit, but no official admission yet. Anyone here familiar with their admission timeline?

Hah, looks like the results page history is only useful for rejection notifications! I would imagine that official word would come after the campus visit? That's how UCLA is doing it - visit mid-Feb and then admissions/funding outcome end of Feb. 

Possibly not much help!

I don't know for sure, but I know two years ago my friend thought she was rejected from CUNY because she never got an interview, but then she got in in March! I think CUNY doesn't always interview the candidates they accept. But that was two years ago so who knows.

Anyone know if Michigan sociocultural interviews? I see a few interview posts about Michigan on the survey, but not enough to convince me that it's something they do with every candidate. Also, has anyone heard back from them regarding when to expect results? Again, it looks like they usually send out results around the 11th, but who knows if it'll be the same this year.

I've been following this page for a while, now driven (by the insanity of waiting) to finally post myself.

Can anyone fill me in on the Stanford interviews? It looks like some years, they request all interviews at once, in one round; but then, in some recent years,  there are two sets of interview dates posted, which leads me to believe it isn't always like that...?

Any idea if the Stanford posts on the results page are for all sub-disciplines/all admits?

20 hours ago, Slagatha said:

Hah, looks like the results page history is only useful for rejection notifications! I would imagine that official word would come after the campus visit? That's how UCLA is doing it - visit mid-Feb and then admissions/funding outcome end of Feb. 

Possibly not much help!

I am guessing that notifications for campus visits will be coming shortly. Was asked to provide official transcripts so they can recommend admissions; that was back in late January. 

Hi guys! 

I just got an email from the DGS at Princeton... I got in! Formal acceptance letter to follow. I am still in serious shock. It seems surreal. I am so thankful to everyone in this forum who kept my spirits up and the hope alive! Best of luck to all of you. I wish you all the best. Hugs :D

7 minutes ago, ladyoflight17 said:

Hi guys! 

I just got an email from the DGS at Princeton... I got in! Formal acceptance letter to follow. I am still in serious shock. It seems surreal. I am so thankful to everyone in this forum who kept my spirits up and the hope alive! Best of luck to all of you. I wish you all the best. Hugs :D

Congrats!!! What wonderful news. I'm sure we will shortly meet in a more official capacity, but in the meantime, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Just now, catcatcatdog said:

Congrats!!! What wonderful news. I'm sure we will shortly meet in a more official capacity, but in the meantime, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks so much! feeling quite relieved and blessed. looking forward to meeting u :D

14 minutes ago, ladyoflight17 said:

Hi guys! 

ladyoflight: Me too! Still seems so so weird, but also fantastic in the best possible way!

2 hours ago, ladyoflight17 said:

Hi guys! 

Were you the person that said "I am floored. I am on the floor" on the result page? If so, I smiled and laughed after reading it! Congrats!!!! 

1 hour ago, mini monkey said:

Were you the person that said "I am floored. I am on the floor" on the result page? If so, I smiled and laughed after reading it! Congrats!!!! 

Lol no that wasn't me! I was the other person who posted my results ... 

Edited by ladyoflight17

On 1/27/2016 at 1:13 PM, anthrostudentcyn said:

Hey! Would anyone be open to giving a short profile of themselves after their acceptances? So future applicants can see all the types of profiles that are accepted? Personally I'm always interested in seeing how people came to their projects/anthropology!

Now that I've gotten a second acceptance (Indiana!) and I know the first one wasn't just a fluke, I'll share.  I'm pretty un-anonymous in my username, picture, etc, so I'm not too concerned about sharing.

Undergrad: Pretty unrelated (technical theater, German studies, minor in Art History), respected small liberal arts college, 3.68 GPA, finished 12 years ago (ouch)

MA in Middle Eastern Studies from SOAS in 2007, with distinction

GRE: 170 V/156 Q/5.0 AW

At the two schools where I've been accepted so far, plus two others, I proposed research on belly dance and cultural appropriation, and I'm a semi-professional belly dancer with 13 years of dance experience.  At three of the schools I applied to, I proposed researching why Muslims in Scotland are highly likely to identify as Scottish, when very few of them in England identify as English, suggesting that it has to do with particular narratives of history and identity constructed to highlight their difference from the shared colonizer (England).  I don't have much on my CV that ties me to Scotland, just a personal obsession and 3.5 years living in the UK, so it will be interesting to see if I get any acceptances on that project.

6 minutes ago, Meglet said:

Now that I've gotten a second acceptance (Indiana!) and I know the first one wasn't just a fluke, I'll share.  I'm pretty un-anonymous in my username, picture, etc, so I'm not too concerned about sharing.

Undergrad: Pretty unrelated (technical theater, German studies, minor in Art History), respected small liberal arts college, 3.68 GPA, finished 12 years ago (ouch)

At the two schools where I've been accepted so far, plus two others, I proposed research on belly dance and cultural appropriation, and I'm a semi-professional belly dancer with 13 years of dance experience.  At three of the schools I applied to, I proposed researching why Muslims in Scotland are highly likely to identify as Scottish, when very few of them in England identify as English, suggesting that it has to do with particular narratives of history and identity constructed to highlight their difference from the shared colonizer (England).  I don't have much on my CV that ties me to Scotland, just a personal obsession and 3.5 years living in the UK, so it will be interesting to see if I get any acceptances on that project.

Congrats on your acceptances Meglet ! Both of your projects seem really interesting! 

8 hours ago, Meglet said:

Congrats on your two admissions!!!!!!

I often found your post at other forums too and your admission gives me hope.
Plus, I am also from different major, not much on my CV except industrial career, so much more hope, I guess.

Hope you have a wonderful start this fall!

14 hours ago, Meglet said:

Congrats, Meglet! 

I am curious about which languages you speak and to what degree? After interviewing at one of my schools with a POI, she told me that one of the reasons she liked my application (verses other applicants with interests in the same area) were my foreign language skills. I got the impression that for anthropology admissions, language and experience in your country/region are crucial elements. It might help some on the forum to hear more about this.

I just realized that Princeton would have been an excellent fit for me, not U Penn. I applied to the wrong school, and I could've gotten the app fee waived for being a Peace Corps volunteer. Oh, well! So it goes. Hopefully admission to Rutgers could mean that I'd be able to work closely with faculty at Princeton, too.

hey everyone thought i'd join in since i am in phd purgatory as well!
i was accepted to an MA in bio at university college london but no funding and not my top choice, and rejected from a phd at ucsb :P
waiting not-so patiently for any word from nyu, boston u, university of tennessee, vanderbilt, unlv, and illinois state

absolutely zero word so far and every time i see one of them pop up on the list my little heart breaks lol