Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

4 hours ago, Personperson said:

How are y'all preparing for interviews? I feel like I have to re-read the anthropology canon and have a solid 10 year research plan and read all outcoming articles as well as everything all profs in the department have written and I'M FREAKING OUT. 

Okay so I'm still working the in-person interview thing out, but I reckon one of things you might want up your sleeve is a 'where you see yourself in 5/10 years' thing/what do you do after the PhD? It's probably no good saying that you plan to bounce between post-docs (realistic though that may be) so you need to think about the career you're angling for afterwards. It could well be an academic gig, but be pragmatic in that you know it's wise to prepare for the non-aca job market. Might be an idea to think about the language requirements most places have, too - what do you know, what prep you will do before you start their programme, and what you'll have to do during the programme. Program. Ah, America.

My Skype interview was mostly 'we like your proposal, here are some changes we want to know if you would be open to' and then a little about how I dealt with some of the methodological and practical challenges involved in my MA thesis/plan to incorporate multi-disciplinary approaches in the PhD. 

Edit: And of course stalking the faculty interests and pubs. I don't know if I'm doing that right but dammit I'm trying.

Edited by Slagatha

8 hours ago, birchleaf said:

What's the UMich thing? I scrolled up and down (I'm on mobile) and checked Umich News but didn't see anything. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!

Precisely what personperson said above. Simply, it just looked like people got multiple rejections after accidentally receiving notification that they were accepted. 

On another note, would someone like to "claim" the waitlist notification for NYU? Would you mind sharing your POI (or messaging me your POI)? I'm dying to know what is going on with NYU's decisions. 

Edited by MedAnth077

I have been interviewed by two different POIs at Emory. Fingers crossed! They seem interested in my research and want more China scholars at Emory, so I may be a shoe-in! The first interviewer said I have his vote, the second one called my research 'fascinating', so only time will tell!

Edited by intellect954

2 hours ago, intellect954 said:

I have been interviewed by two different POIs at Emory. Fingers crossed! They seem interested in my research and want more China scholars at Emory, so I may be a shoe-in! The first interviewer said I have his vote, the second one called my research 'fascinating', so only time will tell!

Good luck! 

5 hours ago, intellect954 said:

Good luck, intellect954! I hope to see you at recruitment weekend!

Did anyone notice the comment from the Brown reject writing: 

"That comment about admitting American students is the joke of the century. All our grad schools prefer foreigners, even from countries known to be rife with GRE cheating. Let's get our country back and secure our institutions for our own people."

As if straight from the Trump campaign trail... scary stuff. 

I did see that. I usually consider anthropology to be one of the more liberal disciplines out there... I know it's naive to think all future anthropologists would be more open-minded than that, but still... that was pretty hateful for someone who wants to enter a discipline that is immersed in seeing the inequalities and structural oppression at play in a lot of the processes very similar to admissions. 

Edited by MedAnth077

12 hours ago, RobertSunfield said:

Has anyone heard anything from UPenn?

Nope! It looks like, based on the past history posted on the Results page, that they really have been all over the place in terms of timing. So who knows. 

On 2/9/2016 at 11:52 AM, catcatcatdog said:

I did (pretty much right after I interviewed)! With a Woodruff Fellowship, too. I had interviews with multiple faculty members whom I'd rather not name publicly, but Jenny Chio was not one of them.

Were you invited to recruitment weekend at Emory, too, by the way? Also, my interviews went really well and I feel like they were pretty laid back!

I am a little late to the game with finding this site.. I have been waiting in limbo on my own. Anyway, just accepted to the University of Florida's PhD in cultural anthropology program. I am beside myself with excitement. My proposal (briefly) is to use visual methods to study the translocal properties of coffee production and consumption. Specifically, how the relationship between the grower and consumer are created through social media. I am also examining how the roasting process removes the origin and situates the exotic import within locavore movements. I identified a very strong POI and wrote the proposal specifically for that POI. I wrote the POI and asked if they would be available for a feedback session before I officially submitted the proposal. I also found other related professors from mass comm and food science that were interested, showing that my proposal is interdisciplinary and has applications outside of anthropology. I am currently an adjunct cultural anthropology instructor at Flagler College in St. Augustine. I have an MPhil in Ethnographic Documentary (visual anthropology) from the University of Manchester and a BA in cultural anthropology from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I had a career in broadcasting before moving to the UK to earn the MPhil, which may have helped my case for using visual methods.

I am still waiting to hear about any funding (said it might be mid-March) but I have already accepted and will just make it work. Plus, I have already found two amazing coffee shops in Gainesville (but always looking for recommendations). 

Best of luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear something..   

That sounds like a really interesting project, AnthroFilm. I used to work in the coffee business during an interlude in my anthropology career--it was very interesting to see the different ways that people across the commercial-specialy spectrum talk about origin, producers, etc. I'll be curious to see the directions that project evolves in.

Have you seen A Film About Coffee

I can't speak to Gainesville, but there are a couple really nice places in Pensacola I can recommend should you ever find yourself out that way.

Thanks Ajtz'ihb! I enjoyed A Film About Coffee very much. I saw it at a screening in Jacksonville last year. However, my favorite though is The Cappuccino Trail, it's deliciously campy. The entire relationship and explosion of "coffee culture" is absolutely fascinating. I can't wait to see how the negotiation between grower, provider, and consumer develops. 

I visit Tallahassee frequently, and have a few "go to" shops there.. where do you recommend in Pensacola?

What is your research focused on? 

The Leisure Club in Pensacola is great, and they do good food in addition to coffee. There's another place down at the end of Palafox called Bodacious Brew that, despite the unpromising name, is also quite good.

I'll have to check out The Cappuccino Trail, sounds awesome.

I'm an archaeologist working in Guatemala, so my actual area of research is pretty far off from yours, but coffee is something I try to stay close to. 

On 2/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, pastthesarcophagi said:

Were any of you the person who heard from their POI at colorado? Do you mind messaging me who your POI is?

I feel like im going insane!

What is this about someone hearing about Colorado? Do you mean Boulder? I'm going nuts waiting to hear myself!

3 hours ago, Ajtz'ihb said:

There's another place down at the end of Palafox called Bodacious Brew that, despite the unpromising name, is also quite good.

Thanks for the recommendations!! Bodacious Brew.. I think I just found the title of my dissertation! :)  

Here's a YouTube link to Cappuccino Trail.

Not sure who posted it, but if you want to kill 50 minutes with a campy BBC Film about fair trade I highly recommend it. I especially love the Cafe Direct representative.  

3 hours ago, ecopolitiq said:

What is this about someone hearing about Colorado? Do you mean Boulder? I'm going nuts waiting to hear myself!

On the results board someone said their POI called them for archaeological arch. I know last year decisions were sent out late Feb. Fingers crossed for the both of us!!!

On 2/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, pastthesarcophagi said:

Were any of you the person who heard from their POI at colorado? Do you mind messaging me who your POI is?

I feel like im going insane!

1 hour ago, pastthesarcophagi said:

On the results board someone said their POI called them for archaeological arch. I know last year decisions were sent out late Feb. Fingers crossed for the both of us!!!

Eee I hope so! I am not super optimistic personally, because I know that they were going to be really competitive for cultural spots this year after all the new people they brought in last year, but some good news for both of us would be nice.

Hi everyone! Finally created a profile for myself, have been following this thread for a long time. Big congrats to all of you who have made it so far. I've applied to a total of 5 schools. 4 in (socio)cultural anthropology: U Chicago, UC Berkeley, CU Boulder and U South Florida + PhD in Food Studies in NYU. Quite many reach schools and I think Berkeley and Chicago are already out of question since I didn't receive invitations for an interview. However, I still hope I will get in to some of these schools.. that would be the dream. I practically spent the whole last year studying and polishing my SoP (I was also working full time, so all weekends and evenings were dedicated to this matter). Hope everyone is doing okay with the waiting!