Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

13 hours ago, EA76 said:

Congratulations on getting the full-funding offer at MAPSS— I don't think they give many of those out, so that speaks very highly to your application materials! 

I can't speak to the program well, but have had two friends go through it— so before I say anything, just know that this is a second-hand account and might be better to hear first-hand perspectives, such as those outlined in the forum posts below from a few years ago (copied/pasted after my answer).

To put it simply though, I think many people feel that MAPSS is a money-making scheme more than anything else. That's a fairly widely-acknowledged perspective both among students and within the University, which means certain faculty members who have a negative option on MAPSS students may not be willing to take you seriously or work with you. It's expensive, even if you get scholarship money—especially because Chicago isn't a cheap place to live. They do offer a lot of support in applying for PhDs, but you should know that you won't be applying next year— they only offer application support to people on the tail-end of the program who have done well, from what I understand, so you are looking at the 9 months in the MAPSS program, plus another year or so that you'd have to fill before beginning a PhD program that, most likely, won't take the MAPSS credit as transfer credit anyway (The point I'm trying to make is you'd be extending an already lengthy doctoral-level education by 2+ years).

Both of my friends had less-than-stellar experiences, personally and academically. The core coursework is challenging and deeply-embeds you in the social sciences (only good things to say about that!), but, beyond that, my friends didn't have the opportunity to connect with the faculty they would have liked to work with or pursue the research they were excited about both because of the length of the program (it's very short) and because of the stigma against MAPSS students (to put it as harshly as possible: basically as just being rich kids who didn't get in to Chicago's PhD programs, but are able to "pay their way" into a PhD program by, to some extent, "buying" a UChicago degree). That's not a stereotype that applied to my friends, or would apply to you, but I think "haunts" the students in the program, to some extent. If you're set on getting into a top PhD program and moving forward in academia as a career than it may be worth taking out loans/drawing on your savings and putting things "on hold" (to some extent) for two years— especially if you think you're in a position where you won't be competitive without it (i.e. low GPA, low GRE scores, little experience in the social sciences, etc.). That doesn't seem to be the case for you though; if you were offered the full-funding package, you must have been competitive for the PhD programs I'd imagine— even if it didn't work out this year, it might be worth re-applying next year. 

We may not want to get into a big MAPSS debate here (it seems to happen every year!), but feel free to PM me if you want. I'd also recommend re-starting the thread below to get more recent opinions (or starting a new one in one of the other forums), if you're interested in hearing what people who have actually done the program (again, that's not me!) might say:

Hahahahah yes there seems to be a MAPSS debate every year! And the perspectives are so extremely different that I've come to the conclusion that MAPSS is just entirely what each person makes of it. My admission letter said that around 200 people matriculate in the program every year and that's a lot. A lot of opinions from which it's quite difficult to extrapolate an accurate perspective of the program (maybe that's actually one of its major drawbacks--too many people). 

I agree with you that doing this program might be a delay of 2+ years to start a PhD when I can just apply again for fall 2017 but I'm terrified that a repeat of this year will again play out in the next. My research interests are so darn specific that I applied to only 4 schools (I really wanted to apply to only 2 but added the other 2 to be "reasonable"). I know that this could certainly change as I read and explore more before the next application cycle and learn about other scholars who I'd like to work with. 

Chicago is a great school, and I appreciated that they offered funding for an MA. Last year and this year, I was admitted to the MA at Columbia and that was just a joke (last year I actually applied to the MA myself and this year it was a consolation admission). They offered no money at all and so rejecting the offers was automatic (though painful because Columbia is my dream school). 

Aside from the delay in starting a PhD, my two concerns with this program is what some people have noted as the dismissiveness with which some professors treat MAPSS students and how intensely competitive it is. I don't mind working hard to prove myself but I don't want to grovel or have to worry about "keeping up" rather than learning. In other words, I don't want a possibly negative experience through MAPSS to put me off from grad school entirely. But again other people like @jellyfish11 had such a positive experience that make MAPSS seem like it's worth it. Ugh. 

Thank you guys for weighing in; I really appreciated reading each of your opinions. 

16 hours ago, Caitlin Yoakum said:

Was accepted to the anthropology Ph.D. program at University of Arkansas back in January (with some pretty amazing funding) but only just found out about this website. Anyone else headed there for anthropology or already there? Currently looking for good housing near the university!

Also, has anyone heard back from University of Georgia? I've gotten answers from A&M, Washington, and UTK (all rejections) but still have yet to hear from Georgia. 

You're so lucky to be working with Jerome Rose. He's such an amazing bioarchaeologists. I was going to apply there but I wanted to get my MA first. Might apply there for my PhD if he's still teaching then. :)

To the person that posted the UPenn reject, did you email the grad director and thus you got a reply back, or did you get a reject email without asking first? 

I have three PhD programs left to hear from... I wonder if I'm being super impatient, but I was just hoping to have definitive answers by early March to get this moment in my life over with. Isn't that terrible?

Got the good news that I've been accepted to the University of South Florida to work with Rebecca Zarger! I saw at least two others on the results page, so if you would like PM me and we can get to know one another?

Now the decision will be whether to abandon ship and head to USF or continue on at Ohio State...

1 hour ago, ecopolitiq said:

Got the good news that I've been accepted to the University of South Florida to work with Rebecca Zarger! I saw at least two others on the results page, so if you would like PM me and we can get to know one another?

Now the decision will be whether to abandon ship and head to USF or continue on at Ohio State...

I know you've heard it numerous times already, but it's rarely a good idea to stay at the same university for both your bachelors and your PhD. I know OSU is an amazing program (I go to Ohio University and have a friend at OSU), but branching out and getting other scholar's perspective is sometimes good. 

4 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

I know you've heard it numerous times already, but it's rarely a good idea to stay at the same university for both your bachelors and your PhD. I know OSU is an amazing program (I go to Ohio University and have a friend at OSU), but branching out and getting other scholar's perspective is sometimes good. 

I totally agree. I've also heard that it isn't especially favorable when you're looking at jobs in academia.

21 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

Do you know a grad student here? I definitely agree, plus USF has a stronger cultural program. I want a job after, lol.

20 hours ago, sierra918 said:

I totally agree. I've also heard that it isn't especially favorable when you're looking at jobs in academia.

On 3/9/2016 at 4:42 PM, bioarch_fan said:

Oh, I should also be clear that I'm finishing up my MA at OSU, not my BA. I was accepted here two years ago for MA/PhD, but decided that the program isn't the best fit and so I am likely getting the PhD elsewhere.

3 hours ago, ecopolitiq said:

Do you know a grad student here? I definitely agree, plus USF has a stronger cultural program. I want a job after, lol.

No my friend that goes to OSU is an undergrad (I believe she's a senior). Her specialty is more biocultural than mine...I think she's now focusing on the medical side of anthropology.

4 hours ago, ecopolitiq said:

Oh, I should also be clear that I'm finishing up my MA at OSU, not my BA. I was accepted here two years ago for MA/PhD, but decided that the program isn't the best fit and so I am likely getting the PhD elsewhere.

Oh ok! That definitely makes a difference! It's completely acceptable to get your MA and Ph.D at the same institution. My apologies for the confusion.

For those of you accepted to CUNY ( and Congratulations!!! That's amazing!), would you mind sharing your region with me? Perhaps via PM if you don't want to break anonymity? I know CUNY staggers its acceptances by region.

On 3/8/2016 at 0:23 PM, Caitlin Yoakum said:

Was accepted to the anthropology Ph.D. program at University of Arkansas back in January (with some pretty amazing funding) but only just found out about this website. Anyone else headed there for anthropology or already there? Currently looking for good housing near the university!

Also, has anyone heard back from University of Georgia? I've gotten answers from A&M, Washington, and UTK (all rejections) but still have yet to hear from Georgia. 

My partner did his anthropology masters at the UofA.  He loved it.  I just got accepted to the Speech-Language Pathology masters program there.  Can't wait to go back home!

For housing, the good stuff sometimes isn't listed online.  It really helps if you can walk/drive around and find the For Rent signage.  There are some great apartments and duplexes just south of campus.  Good luck!

On 3/11/2016 at 8:36 AM, busybee said:

For those of you accepted to CUNY ( and Congratulations!!! That's amazing!), would you mind sharing your region with me? Perhaps via PM if you don't want to break anonymity? I know CUNY staggers its acceptances by region.

Did you receive any responses to this? I'm in CA, USA and haven't heard a peep!

I just officially accepted my offer from the sociocultural wing of the anthropology department at UC Davis. I received the offer in January, but I had to wait for and weigh some other offers. To the member who was waitlisted and hoping for one of us to turn down the offer: sorry. Hopefully someone else makes room for you. If not, I'm sure you'll be in a great program somewhere. Good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, AnxiousApplicant123 said:

I just officially accepted my offer from the sociocultural wing of the anthropology department at UC Davis. I received the offer in January, but I had to wait for and weigh some other offers. To the member who was waitlisted and hoping for one of us to turn down the offer: sorry. Hopefully someone else makes room for you. If not, I'm sure you'll be in a great program somewhere. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!! I've heard great things about their program!

I received funding decisions from University of Central Florida and was not awarded funding sadly. This program is a great one for bioarchaeology since they have 2 full time bioarchaeologists on staff, but I was accepted into a different program with funding for 2 years, so I will be accepting that one instead. I hope this clears up a space for people that can attend UCF without having to pay for their education.

Has anyone other than the one accepted student who posted on the results page on Feb 22 heard anything from Vanderbilt? I know they're only accepting four students this season, but not sure if they're waiting to hear back from their first round of admits or what…thanks!

4 hours ago, jac21 said:

Has anyone other than the one accepted student who posted on the results page on Feb 22 heard anything from Vanderbilt? I know they're only accepting four students this season, but not sure if they're waiting to hear back from their first round of admits or what…thanks!

That was me. I'll send you a PM.

Any more news from McGill's Master's program? I know someone called earlier this semester and they were told that final decisions would be made in April-ish... but that's true of all programs, since the deadline to accept is usually April 15. I'm wondering if anyone has been accepted yet.

Edited by MedAnth077