Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

On 1/23/2016 at 7:37 PM, Meglet said:

An acceptance!  I got into University of Arkansas!  Funding is TBA, but after straight rejections last year, this is super exciting!

Congrats meg!  I'm absolutely thrilled to see a fellow poster from last year's application cycle get a well deserved acceptance  :D

9 hours ago, knp said:

Yes, of course! How many cats do you have?

2 calicos.  Some day I'll be a true crazy cat lady with more than that, but not until we own a house.

And thanks everyone!

Has anyone put in applications for cultural anthropology PhD, and have you heard back from any schools yet? Emory wrote all applicants to say interview invites will go out after February 8th, but it's not one of my top picks, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, intellect954 said:

Has anyone put in applications for cultural anthropology PhD, and have you heard back from any schools yet? Emory wrote all applicants to say interview invites will go out after February 8th, but it's not one of my top picks, to be honest. 

You can see all the results received this year and in past years here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Anth*&t=a&o=&pp=25

I always search anth* because a surprising number of anthropology phd admits misspell "anthropology" in the results posting. You can also search for your schools to see when they notified people in past years.

hope this helps! Just try not to get to addicted or anxious over this, knowing about the results search can be a blessing and a curse.... I spend way too much time there.

15 hours ago, intellect954 said:

All my apps are for cultural or medical anthropology, and I have heard nothing official yet. I was a bit bummed about Emory's announcement, and then we had a pretty bad house fire last week (all humans and animals are safe) so I am now thoroughly distracted with insurance and things. One bizarre positive of the house fire is how distracted I am from worrying about graduate school (how twisted is that? We are a crazy, passionate lot). 

I've been lurking for months (you guys are all incredible) but I just have to say: that last Oxford acceptance for Classical Archaeology, "Think I'm gonna cry", I want to hug you. I hope you get some Big Cash Money!

On 1/25/2016 at 8:43 AM, busybee said:

All my apps are for cultural or medical anthropology, and I have heard nothing official yet. I was a bit bummed about Emory's announcement, and then we had a pretty bad house fire last week (all humans and animals are safe) so I am now thoroughly distracted with insurance and things. One bizarre positive of the house fire is how distracted I am from worrying about graduate school (how twisted is that? We are a crazy, passionate lot). 

Where did you apply to? If I already asked you this, I apologize. ;P Glad you're safe after the fire!

Edited by intellect954

35 minutes ago, intellect954 said:

Where did you apply to? If I already asked you this, I apologize. ;P Glad you're safe after the fire!

I applied to Brown, Berkeley, Chicago, CUNY, and Emory. I applied for medical anth at Berkeley. Someone just posted they received an interview request for "anthropology" at Berkeley. Not sure what that is specifically, but I'm not too worried. That doesn't mean anything necessarily. 

Thanks! I'm glad too. It definitely helped put things into perspective.

Yay, finally found some prospective anthro PhDs!  I have been assuming that if you are not contacted by a department for an interview, then you are not on the shortlist and are basically out of luck.  Would you say this is an accurate assumption or a misguided assumption?  Don't know whether to keep up hope after Berkeley post or not.

1 hour ago, rachelapone said:

Yay, finally found some prospective anthro PhDs!  I have been assuming that if you are not contacted by a department for an interview, then you are not on the shortlist and are basically out of luck.  Would you say this is an accurate assumption or a misguided assumption?  Don't know whether to keep up hope after Berkeley post or not.

I have been assuming the same as well. But I wonder if that's true for different parts of the departments? For example, someone just posted an NYU interview from the physical anthro side... I applied for sociocultural and am really hoping for an interview. I don't know how unlikely that is now.

Edited by MedAnth077

I'm slowly dying on the inside - everything is so drawn out. This is my first application round and I have no idea how the US system works except for what I've read of people's trials and tribulations here. The Berkeley email thing has me on edge and I saw something about a GWU interview a few weeks back but who knows. I think that news dribbling in is the worst part about waiting!

1 hour ago, MAnthroAA said:

Based on the Results Board, it seems like NYU's interview process depends very much on the POI. I wouldn't worry too much yet. :-)

Were you the person who received a Harvard interview? I'm suuuper bummed about that one. 

Unfortunately, I did not post the Harvard interview. Sorry! 

On 1/24/2016 at 7:46 AM, MedAnth077 said:

Congrats, Meglet! What wonderful news. Here's hoping that such an early acceptance bodes well for your other applications. :) What is your area of interest?

Broadly: Middle East, Muslims, Identity, Performance, History

I proposed 2 different projects to the various schools I applied to, so it will be interesting to see if I get any acceptances for the other research proposal.

9 hours ago, rachelapone said:

Sadly I don't think it's that simple.  I did a LOT of stalking the forums and results board last year, and here are a few of my conclusions:

-Not all schools do interviews - e.g. I don't remember seeing any posts on the results about Berkeley interviews last year, just admissions in mid to late February.  There were definitely a few schools I applied to that just sent acceptances and rejections without interviews.

-Some schools do (Northwestern definitely seems to always interview) and if you see a solid history of interviews on the results board plus someone getting an interview this year, you can probably cross that school off your list.

- Just because some people report acceptances from a school and you didn't get one doesn't mean you're out of the running.  Some people report their POI emailing them about the department's recommendation to admit them, which isn't an official admittance yet, and can come at different times if notification is left to the whims of individual professors' schedules.  Also, you could be on the wait list.  Last year, I saw people post acceptances and rejections from University of Oregon, and I heard nothing until I finally emailed them in early April, at which point they told me that I had been waitlisted (but they forgot to tell me), but they could now tell me that all applicants had accepted and there was no spot for me.

I really wish there was more definitive information out there, or some way to make our waiting less tortuous.

Hey everyone! Biological anthropology major here; created this account 2 years ago during the MA season and now back for PhD season! 

Quick question: in your opinions, is having a scheduled interview with a POI prior to the application deadline a good sign? Or is a neutral sign (meaning they frequently do this sort of thing and it means nothing special)? Thanks! I had two interviews prior to the deadline, and I saw that one school sent out a few interviews, so I'm not sure what to think. I wonder if it's a bad sign that I wasn't contacted again after submitting my application. 

I also applied to NYU (to work with Dr. Higham) and have heard nothing; saw that some people have obtained interviews. I am assuming rejected at this point, unfortunately. 

Edited by Great Ape

17 minutes ago, Great Ape said:

Quick question: in your opinions, is having a scheduled interview with a POI prior to the application deadline a good sign? Or is a neutral sign (meaning they frequently do this sort of thing and it means nothing special)? Thanks! I had two interviews prior to the deadline, and I saw that one school sent out a few interviews, so I'm not sure what to think. I wonder if it's a bad sign that I wasn't contacted again after submitting my application.

I also applied to NYU (to work with Dr. Higham) and have heard nothing; saw that some people have obtained interviews. I am assuming rejected at this point, unfortunately. 

As with most elements of the application/admissions process, I suspect it really comes down to each university and its preferences. When I was applying, I had pre-deadline interviews with POIs at two schools -- I was admitted at one, and while I made the official shortlist at the other, I was ultimately rejected. I wouldn't say it's a neutral sign -- professors are busy people, so they won't waste their time with applicants who don't interest them for whatever reason -- but I also wouldn't read too much into it. Having been there and done that, though, I know that interpreting (and over-interpreting) schools' every move is a really hard thing to abstain from!

18 minutes ago, catcatcatdog said:

As with most elements of the application/admissions process, I suspect it really comes down to each university and its preferences. When I was applying, I had pre-deadline interviews with POIs at two schools -- I was admitted at one, and while I made the official shortlist at the other, I was ultimately rejected. I wouldn't say it's a neutral sign -- professors are busy people, so they won't waste their time with applicants who don't interest them for whatever reason -- but I also wouldn't read too much into it. Having been there and done that, though, I know that interpreting (and over-interpreting) schools' every move is a really hard thing to abstain from!

Thank you very much for your response! I figured as much. I hope to hear back soon, either way. The thought of having only a month and a half to move after receiving a response (whether good or bad) is scary! 

7 minutes ago, Great Ape said:

Thank you very much for your response! I figured as much. I hope to hear back soon, either way. The thought of having only a month and a half to move after receiving a response (whether good or bad) is scary! 

What do you mean having to move only a month and a half after a response?

Also, why aren't people posting their subdisciplines in the results page. It is driving me insane! I guess I should assume that if they don't specify, its socio-cultural? I know there are separate admissions meetings/processes for many of the subdisciplines at the schools I have spoken to.

14 minutes ago, pastthesarcophagi said:

What do you mean having to move only a month and a half after a response?

Also, why aren't people posting their subdisciplines in the results page. It is driving me insane! I guess I should assume that if they don't specify, its socio-cultural? I know there are separate admissions meetings/processes for many of the subdisciplines at the schools I have spoken to.

Hmm, I was told that departments usually decide all subfields together. Two of the results are mine and I'm archaeology, but in both cases several other people have posted interviews from those schools the same day, and at least one specified a different subfield. (I didn't specify my subfield in the results, sorry! I'll do so in the future). I guess it depends on the school, but I think most schools with a four-field approach meet together.

Sure, I would love to do that.

I was just accepted to the University of Florida's PhD program in anthropology. My undergrad GPA was 3.79, GRE (v/q/w) was 160/154/4.5. No masters. I am interested in the drug war and how enforcement of the law has impacted social order, definitions of security, and perceptions of peace. Topically, I'm interested in governance, law, violence, drugs, and Latin America. My BA is in anthropology. I have worked as a legal assistant and as a policy analyst.

When I was in high school, two members of my family suffered from heroin addictions. As they moved through the criminal justice system throughout the next 8 years, it changed my perception of what is moral and how we should approach addiction and policing the drug war. Classes in college taught me that the domestic side of this issue was only a very small piece of the puzzle. The drug war is something the United States has pursued for decades and seen little to no improvement in stemming the flow of drugs; yet we have destroyed countless lives as result of our drug policies. We know how many people have died. We know how many kilos of drugs we've confiscated. Drug policy needs to change domestically and abroad, and I believe that people's stories are what we're missing. And I feel I can help get those voices into the open.

Edited by Lexie16