Fall 2016 Applicants

sierra918

I hate writing about myself. Hate it. But for some of these applications, I am required to do so in a substantial way. (The 'personal' paragraph in most SOPs is fine.) This aversion is making things difficult, because my rational brain knows I need to get it done, but my id is behaving like a naughty toddler, getting in the way and yelling "NO!"

I hate writing about myself. Hate it. But for some of these applications, I am required to do so in a substantial way. (The 'personal' paragraph in most SOPs is fine.) This aversion is making things difficult, because my rational brain knows I need to get it done, but my id is behaving like a naughty toddler, getting in the way and yelling "NO!"

I know exactly how you feel.  I've always hated writing about myself, just as I always hate writing in first person on anything academic related.  I've been trained to write strictly in the third person and it's so hard to move towards the first person, even when I'm taking cultural anthropology courses where the professors prefer us to write in the first person.  Lol.  I'm going to start my SOPs next week...so I guess we'll see how it goes.  :)

Hi! More fresh meat here. Graduating from a southern liberal arts uni in May and planning to go straight in for a PhD in cultural anthro. End goal is teaching more than research, tbh, but I feel very strongly about my research area, which is Japanese youth issues.

Just got back GRE scores; v/q/w are 163/144/5, and I fully admit to not studying for the math section at all (my advisor said her husband got into Chicago with 11th percentile, so I'm not bothered). My uni has very small class sizes, so even though I've only been here for a year and change (I did my first two years at a community college and then transferred), I have good relationships with my professors and anticipate excellent recommendations. 

I feel like my big weaknesses are language ability (since I couldn't start taking Japanese until I got to my present institution, but will have two years done by May and this year I'm living with a native speaker and other students in a language learning program) and lack of experiences like going abroad or presenting papers and such. I did a research project on Japanese minority groups over the summer with one of my profs, and that will be presented at my uni's annual undergrad research conference thing, and we might be submitting it for potential publication in the school's humanities review.

My list so far is Duke, Emory, Harvard, Chicago, and probably U of Iowa and USC Columbia as less intimidating options. Finding POIs has been like finding needles in a giant poorly-web-designed haystack. Feels like everyone in my research area is either working outside of anthro departments or outside the US (which isn't really a viable option for me yet). Totally open to suggestions/critiques/any points of advice you guys might have!

Over in the history forum, it seems that the Japanese studies people tend to recommend that, if you need more language practice, you apply to EALC master's programs as well as to PhDs. There are also, if I remember correctly, a lot of decent-paying options to go teach English and take Japanese coursework in Japan itself. ("A lot" meaning "two or three, I think" since I'm coming from a perspective where my main language has zero such opportunities). I wonder if that's a suggestion worth considering for you, too? But this is not my region: when you've talked with your professors about your PhD applications, what have they recommended?

Hi guys, so just wondering who's coming right out of undergrad? I want a top school, but I'm worried that they don't like people coming right out of undergrad, so not sure if I should apply to Master's programs as well (I am planning on it)

Also how many schools is everyone applying to? I'm trying to really tailor my SOP to each school and gain multiple faculty contacts, so I only have a few schools I'm focusing on, but I've seen advice that says to apply to 10+ schools. 

For reference, anthro undergrad, ivy league uni, 3.78 gpa, GRE 160/167/6, good amount of research  and community engagement in my area of interest (gender/sexuality), so I think I'm generally a good candidate, but who knows. 

currently applying to :rutgers, cuny (top choice), chicago mapss, new school (ma), and looking for more suggestions!

Hi guys, so just wondering who's coming right out of undergrad? I want a top school, but I'm worried that they don't like people coming right out of undergrad, so not sure if I should apply to Master's programs as well (I am planning on it)

I do think graduate programs in Anthro tend to favor people with at least a year or two out of undergrad. HUGE caveat: I know multiple people who have gained admission coming right out of undergrad, so this is not to discourage you or say that it's not possible!

In terms of why applicants with at least some post-BA experience tend to be more successful, I'll copy & paste the same thing I did in another forum: Social maturity & substantial experience in one's field site (including fluency in field languages) are crucial to successfully completing a PhD in anthropology. PhD programs also involve a large undergraduate teaching component (in other words, you will be teaching college students), so grad programs really want students who are mature enough to take on the role of university instructor. Everyone in my cohort (a well-regarded Cultural Anthro program) took at least 1-2 years off after college to work, travel, read, and have fun. I also have cohort mates who didn't return to graduate school in their late 20's, and now that I'm nearing the end of the program, many of us are now married with children of our own. I only say this to emphasize that grad school is a professional setting, and you'll be surrounded by and treated like an adult colleague. Grad programs want doctoral students who will enter this role seriously. (That could be you NOW, as a senior undergrad, or it could be you in a few years).

So, again, don't fear. It's very possible, but the hill is a bit steeper coming out of undergrad. 

In terms of your question about the MA degree: Are you willing to pay for a MA degree in anthropology? MA programs don't tend to have funding. I wasn't willing to pay -- I knew I wanted the PhD and had too much undergrad debt to take on more. I didn't gain admission to a single PhD program the first year I applied (this is fairly normal, as I've since learned). So I applied again the next year. I got into one school, a fabulous 'reach' school, and am quite happy. Keep in mind that if you get an MA degree, most PhD programs will still essentially make you start from the beginning  (with those that just have BA degrees) regardless. You may opt out of a few classes if you have an MA coming in, but not many. If you're really sure you want to and can get the PhD, I'd caution against paying the $ and the 2 years it would take to get the MA. If you're unsuccessful this application cycle, try to go & get more experience related to your research area next year, and apply again.

I would actually say this isn't entirely true anymore.  I have found NUMEROUS MA programs that are funded.  You just have to search for them.  Most of my programs are funded in someway or another.  Sure it's competitive, but most of them won't admit students they can't fund.  One school in particular said she's only accepting one student because that is all she can actually fund.  

Thanks for the advice, guys. My top choice school is CUNY, and they said they take people both right out of undergrad and with Master's, but if anyone knows anything about the department, I'd love to hear it.  Something I was thinking of is if I don't get into the PhD at CUNY, to do a) the Master's at Hunter, so I'd work with the same professors, and get instate tuition, b ) the new school master's (I'm wary of this though) if they give me funding, or c) try to get the UChicago MAPSS thing fully funded, or d) a master's in urban planning 

Thanks for the advice, guys. My top choice school is CUNY, and they said they take people both right out of undergrad and with Master's, but if anyone knows anything about the department, I'd love to hear it.  Something I was thinking of is if I don't get into the PhD at CUNY, to do a) the Master's at Hunter, so I'd work with the same professors, and get instate tuition, b ) the new school master's (I'm wary of this though) if they give me funding, or c) try to get the UChicago MAPSS thing fully funded, or d) a master's in urban planning 

Have you considered not going for a Master's at all, but rather getting another year or two of work experience under your belt -- preferably related to your field of study? That would make you a more competitive candidate for the PhD at CUNY in the next cycle if you don't gain admission this year. Just something to think about if you're sure you want the PhD and have a solid undergraduate record (as in, you don't need to make up for poor GPA or no research experience by showing that you can do grad-level work in an MA program). 

haha I kind of don't want to go to the effort of finding jobs. i was thinking if I do some sort of degree with a grounded component or internship, it would be a good mix. 

Yes, the job search is certainly a pain. But, do you have any professional experience? I know continued schooling may look like the key to being admitted to your favorite PhD program, but life/research/professional experience is incredibly valuable to graduate admissions. I think that professional experience will also be more valuable to your post-PhD employment (academic or otherwise).

I am reminded of an ex-boyfriend I used to have, back in undergrad. Both of his parents (who he says are unhappy and unhappily married people) are professors, and he wanted to get a PhD and try for a tenure-track job, too. After we graduated, he enrolled directly in an MA degree. 

"Are you sure you want to do that?" I asked him. "You know, the job search is a pain, but it's manageable."

"Oh yes," he said. "I have a comparative advantage in this field compared to entry level jobs, so this is what I want to do right now. Although you're right, it is funny that I won't ever have a real job until I'm over 30, and also that I am choosing to follow exactly the same path that is the reason my parents' lives are now so miserable! Ha ha!"

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's the best available option.

"Oh yes," he said. "I have a comparative advantage in this field compared to entry level jobs, so this is what I want to do right now. Although you're right, it is funny that I won't ever have a real job until I'm over 30, and also that I am choosing to follow exactly the same path that is the reason my parents' lives are now so miserable! Ha ha!"

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's the best available option.

Yep! As I'm sure he will learn, it is not "funny that you won't ever have a real job until you're over 30" when you ARE over 30... facing that terrifying post-academic cliff while your college classmates are onto their 3rd serious post-BA job and literally running the show... Not that I would know ;)

Edited by farflung

I would actually say this isn't entirely true anymore.  I have found NUMEROUS MA programs that are funded.  You just have to search for them.  Most of my programs are funded in someway or another.  Sure it's competitive, but most of them won't admit students they can't fund.  One school in particular said she's only accepting one student because that is all she can actually fund.  

I'm going to also corroborate this sentiment. My program is funded. Every student receives it. From my cohort to the new one.

Hmm, yeah this is my problem. I've found Master's programs that are fully funded, but if my ultimate goal is PhD, it seems silly to waste the time on a Master's. But at the same time, I've found a Master's in a related field that would be quite marketable on its own, so I'm thinking of doing that, because its only one year, fully funded, and would put me in a great place for jobs after. 

Also how specific is everyone's SOP?

Hmm, yeah this is my problem. I've found Master's programs that are fully funded, but if my ultimate goal is PhD, it seems silly to waste the time on a Master's. But at the same time, I've found a Master's in a related field that would be quite marketable on its own, so I'm thinking of doing that, because its only one year, fully funded, and would put me in a great place for jobs after. 

Also how specific is everyone's SOP?

My ultimate goal is a PhD as well, so it wouldn't matter getting your MA first.  Actually many professors I've talked to prefer to accept students that already have a MA, this shows that they can tackle graduate level classes and other responsibilities associated with a graduate program (i.e. dissertation).  I'm only applying to one PhD program this fall, but it's a MA/PhD program, so I'd be accepted as a MA student first anyways.  So it's actually encouraged to get your MA before applying to PhD programs.

About the SOP, mine's a little more specific than many other students'.  Mostly because I already have a topic picked out for my thesis research.  So I want to talk about that so professors know of a possible research topic already and that might show how serious I am about the project and getting my MA/PhD.

Yeah I'm just not sure the level of specificity. I have basically my idea, what I want to study, and  a few angles I want to approach it from, but I've read SOP's that literally had their whole argument, and were basically dissertation proposals. I don't want mine to be weirdly specific, but also not too broad. Arghh, so tough. 

About the SOP, mine's a little more specific than many other students'.  Mostly because I already have a topic picked out for my thesis research.  So I want to talk about that so professors know of a possible research topic already and that might show how serious I am about the project and getting my MA/PhD.

Yeah I'm just not sure the level of specificity. I have basically my idea, what I want to study, and  a few angles I want to approach it from, but I've read SOP's that literally had their whole argument, and were basically dissertation proposals. I don't want mine to be weirdly specific, but also not too broad. Arghh, so tough. 

For what it's worth, I think it's easy to be too broad and difficult to be too specific. Be as specific as possible about your project topic and what you already know. The SOP is merely an exercise to show that you have thought through what a dissertation project entails, know some of the literature available, and can frame an interesting set of questions / path of inquiry. It's definitely not a contract of any sort, and your advisors will expect that you modify your research idea as you read/learn more and move through your grad program. So, be specific in your SOP to get into grad school, then be flexible once you get there!

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk of SoPs and I'm sitting here staring at mine like, 'wtf.' I have one solid paragraph that discusses my research interests/questions I want to pursue and the rest is a lot of red and caps telling myself to connect thoughts.

What does your opening sentence say? I have a few variations and none of them sound at all appealing.

General question though, I graduated in 2012 but I went abroad several times over the last three years (Eastern Europe and Kenya. Talk about differences!), the only work experience I have is not at all related to either my previous goals or my future ones since I'm a line cook in a restaurant. Should I address the gap and just say hey, I'm finally in a place to pursue higher education? Or, you know, talk about what a ride it's been since undergrad. 

On November 6, 2015 at 3:56:08 AM, lovekilledinos said:

All this talk of SoPs and I'm sitting here staring at mine like, 'wtf.' I have one solid paragraph that discusses my research interests/questions I want to pursue and the rest is a lot of red and caps telling myself to connect thoughts.

What does your opening sentence say? I have a few variations and none of them sound at all appealing.

General question though, I graduated in 2012 but I went abroad several times over the last three years (Eastern Europe and Kenya. Talk about differences!), the only work experience I have is not at all related to either my previous goals or my future ones since I'm a line cook in a restaurant. Should I address the gap and just say hey, I'm finally in a place to pursue higher education? Or, you know, talk about what a ride it's been since undergrad. 

It sounds like your experience in Kenya & E. Europe will help your case for admission into a PhD program in Anthro, so definitely talk about it. No need for a "I'm finally in a place to pursue more education" statement -- your gap between undergrad & grad school is only 3 years. It may seem like a long time, but that's about average (maybe even a little below average for my program), so it's nothing to worry about or address head on, unless you are asked about it in an interview (unlikely).

There are some general rules of thumb about what work experience you should include in your SOP. First, ONLY talk about experience that is immediately relevant to your graduate school research plans (i.e. since I graduated from XYZ university with a BA, i learned a  language, i've been working alongside people i hope to one day study, etc). No need to talk about your experience as a line cook, unless it's relevant to your project or you think it supports your case for admission in a concrete way. Many people don't do ANYTHING related to their research between the BA and grad school -- this is totally normal. You shouldn't under any circumstance say something like "I haven't been doing much of anything since getting a BA, but now I'm ready!" Only talk about your "gap" between undergrad & grad school if it's exceptionally long (8+ years), and only in positive ways (I have tons of experience doing ____, which means I'll succeed in graduate school because _____).

Hey guys, just wondering,how many programs are you applying to? I'm thinking of applying to 3-4 but I'm not sure if that number is way too low. At this point its a matter of what I have time to finish before deadlines and I may only have time for 4, but would that be horrible? I'm also have funded master's that tracks into a PhD where I'd be happy to go to, but I don't know if it's better to apply to more like 8-10

Seven. My ideal might be six, because man are there a lot of moving parts to keep track of with all these applications, but this is a number that feels good to me now. (Per my sidebar on the left: three are anthropology and four are history.)

3-4 schools is fine. Any more than 6 I think is really stretching yourself too thin. Remember, you need to write a personalized statement for each program, so while you can obviously cut and past a lot of sections, that still adds up to a lot of essay writing.

On 11/6/2015, 2:56:08, lovekilledinos said:

I went abroad several times over the last three years (Eastern Europe and Kenya. Talk about differences!), the only work experience I have is not at all related to either my previous goals or my future ones since I'm a line cook in a restaurant. Should I address the gap and just say hey, I'm finally in a place to pursue higher education? Or, you know, talk about what a ride it's been since undergrad. 

Talk about your travel experiences and the way that both travel and work have shaped your outlook on the topics you're interested in. You don't have to make some tortured connection between subaltern labor and OMG Marx Was Right!!, but you can use work and travel as an example of why you're more prepared for graduate study than some random undergrad who's just graduated and never held a job in their life.

On 11/6/2015, 2:56:08, lovekilledinos said:

Mine were mostly some variation on "Institution X is a super big deal in my field. I want it to be a super big deal in my career as well."