Ready to contact professors...

JackieW

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1047.

Yes. It's very common for students to spend time writing and rewriting emails to their professors. There's really no need to. Think of it this way - most professors I know are too busy to remember what you wrote word-for-word anyway. You'll do good if they remember the gist of what your were saying.

I just sent my first email to a prof on Friday and then spent all day Saturday freaking out that I worded it wrong or that maybe my research idea actually sucks or my summarization of his research was completely wrong, etc etc. But he emailed me back today and said that he's "very interested" in my research proposal and really hopes that I apply to their program! :D I'll admit, I did a little happy dance by my computer. So don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine!

...and I'm nervous as hell! Anyone else have a minor freak out before you hit "send"? (I'm also not doing it right now because it's 10:30 on a Sunday night and that's not terribly professional.)

I wouldn't worry about what time you send the email. No one really cares.

I definitely know this feeling. Especially because my target field is very small, about everybody knows each other, I was always scared to death that if I'd write something incredibly stupid, I would be stuck.

Two things I did were to just let the letter rest over night or over lunch and afterwards read it again, to get some distance. Additionally, I gave my draft to a friend to read and she told me it were just fine, so I managed to press on this ugly send button...

And I wouldn't worry about time. I am European, so all my emails arrive by night to a professor in the US.

hahaha that does suck

also sucks is after you meet with a prof and they don't reply to your msg thanking htem for the meeting/ how interested in their stuff you are after themeeting

perhaps a bad impression?

Or just really busy with the start of the semester?