Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

4 hours ago, badeyebrows said:

ah, that last line--i'm feeling the same way. it's hard to think about going through this again, although i have thought that maybe i should give it another go for 2018. especially since i know so much more now than i did when i fired off those applications a few months ago. but damn, i'm not 22 anymore. i've wondered if i'd even fit in with a cohort of people mostly in their early 20s in different life stages--and forgive me if i sound ridiculous, being in my late 20s, but i'm living a very different life than i was five years ago. i've thought that not getting into the two programs i applied for was perhaps a kind of blessing. this way, i still keep my job, i don't have to uproot myself or my husband, and i can of course still write, albeit not under the ~ideal circumstances~ i was pining for in a full-res program... knowing full-well that the MFA would not be a utopia where all i do is write and dissect joan didion essays. 

i'll stop before this devolves into a full-blown diary entry.

Yeah, "utterly defeating" is a way I'd describe this experience as well. If I'm shut out this season, I will definitely apply to grad school again in the fall, but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to go through MFA admissions again (my undergrad major was in another field, and I have long considered pursuing graduate studies outside of creative writing). I've found that allowing myself to explore my options beyond the MFA (both academic and otherwise) has done a lot to ease the anxiety and feelings of inadequacy that this process has brought about. 

4 hours ago, pdh12 said:

totally hypothetically/generally, what do y'all think of UC-Irvine's program? Did anyone else apply there?

I did not, but came close--honestly, the main reason I didn't is that I couldn't bring myself to pay another $100 to apply somewhere that would probably just reject me, lol.

1 hour ago, HebertMarcute said:

i've been lurking for awhile (so thanks!) but just wanted to let you all know that I got a VCU fiction acceptance via email :) i'm local so hit me up if you're coming here!

Congrats!! I've heard good things about the program. I saw a notice on Draft saying someone else got accepted to VCU for fiction as well and it's kinda thrown me into panic.... no email. :/ should I consider myself rejected?

2 hours ago, HebertMarcute said:

i've been lurking for awhile (so thanks!) but just wanted to let you all know that I got a VCU fiction acceptance via email :) i'm local so hit me up if you're coming here!

Congratulations! I've heard good things about the VCU program. Do you know much about the George Mason program, also in Virginia? 

12 hours ago, HebertMarcute said:

Congratulations! 

16 hours ago, MFA17OrBust said:

Congratulations! I've heard good things about the VCU program. Do you know much about the George Mason program, also in Virginia? 

I'm not familiar with the program specifically but wouldn't recommend going to Mason based upon how terrible the quality of life is. It's in the suburbs of D.C., very ugly, and fairly conservative. It is mostly a commuter campus. Definitely doesn't have an urban feel. 

17 hours ago, Chickenrun said:

Congrats!! I've heard good things about the program. I saw a notice on Draft saying someone else got accepted to VCU for fiction as well and it's kinda thrown me into panic.... no email. :/ should I consider myself rejected?

I wouldn't give up the ghost until you've heard if they've sent out the waitlist yet. Good luck!

29 minutes ago, HebertMarcute said:

I'm not familiar with the program specifically but wouldn't recommend going to Mason based upon how terrible the quality of life is. It's in the suburbs of D.C., very ugly, and fairly conservative. It is mostly a commuter campus. Definitely doesn't have an urban feel. 

Seconded--I lived in Fairfax for two years and can't recommend it. Housing is waaay overpriced for the quality of life, too.

23 hours ago, badeyebrows said:

ah, that last line--i'm feeling the same way. it's hard to think about going through this again, although i have thought that maybe i should give it another go for 2018. especially since i know so much more now than i did when i fired off those applications a few months ago. but damn, i'm not 22 anymore. i've wondered if i'd even fit in with a cohort of people mostly in their early 20s in different life stages--and forgive me if i sound ridiculous, being in my late 20s, but i'm living a very different life than i was five years ago. i've thought that not getting into the two programs i applied for was perhaps a kind of blessing. this way, i still keep my job, i don't have to uproot myself or my husband, and i can of course still write, albeit not under the ~ideal circumstances~ i was pining for in a full-res program... knowing full-well that the MFA would not be a utopia where all i do is write and dissect joan didion essays. 

It's definitely not ridiculous. Many of my partners' classmates are straight out of undergraduate, and there's a definite divide in their level of experience and maturity. Heck, even though I'm not that far removed from my undergraduate days (I graduated seven years ago), I would find my twenty-two-year-old self insufferable. I also spoke to a friend's brother, who graduated from a top MFA program, and he did not have fond memories of the freshly minted college graduates in his workshops. That said, I think the average age of cohorts can vary considerably, with many students being in their late twenties or older.

Incidentally, I own a Joan Didion shirt. In my daydreams, I imagine wearing it to the orientation of an MFA program, leading the entire cohort to deem me the coolest person in the world. Obviously.

13 minutes ago, HebertMarcute said:

I'd actually have to disagree with this. An ugly commuter campus may factor into the undergraduate experience, but I don't think that should be one's main consideration for choosing an MFA program (otherwise, no one would go to Hunter College). For what it's worth, I've heard good things about George Mason's program; it's a well-regarded program with decent funding. I know a few alums who liked the program and have had successful careers following graduation.

I've lived in Fairfax, and although I didn't love it, I would much rather live in the D.C. 'burbs than in many other MFA locations. But it comes down to personal preference. It is true, however, that your stipend won't stretch very far in the DMV.

17 hours ago, MFA17OrBust said:

I went to George Mason for my undergrad. The faculty is pretty great and I made many good friendships and connections with people who went to GMU for their MFA (even though I was an undergrad at the time). Lot's of book and lit stuff to do because it's close to DC, plus GMU and Fairfax host a pretty big book festival in the fall. GMU also homes the headquaters for the AWP- fun fact.
The area, as many have already stated, kinda sucks. It's right in the middle of the suburbs. I loved GMU for the people, but hated the location. 

Edited by Chickenrun

23 hours ago, pdh12 said:

totally hypothetically/generally, what do y'all think of UC-Irvine's program? Did anyone else apply there?

@pdh12 Didn't apply to Irvine, but it's one of the top programs. Lots of famous alumni. Great stipend, reasonable teaching load, 3-year program. Not sure about the location--I've heard Irvine's boring, but it's not far from LA, right? I would have applied, but my partner was adamant he didn't want to move to CA (too far for us to relocate). Incidentally, I've heard almost nothing about Irvine on Draft. Some places just don't seem to generate a lot of excitement on there, but it doesn't mean it's not a great program.

@HebertMarcute @Chickenrun and @Scheherazade - 

Thank you for the perspectives on GMU. I've learned more on this forum than from many other sources, and I appreciate the different points of view. Again, just so glad I found this thread. Wishing you all good news, and soon! 

Also glad to hear the perspective on Mason. My interview for their TAship is on Friday. The more I look at the TA packet they sent me, the less enthused I am about my acceptance there. The first year is a 20hr / week commitment to tutoring, but the second and third years are both 2 / 2 teaching comp and / or lit. The course requirements for TAs are so pedagogically centered that I'm concerned about my growth as a poet. 

@Scheherazade I have to disagree about funding. It's not competitive when compared to other programs, and it's especially not competitive regarding the cost of living. I gave up looking at apartments on Craigslist when I saw a literal tiny house (~200sqft.) listed for $950 / mo, utilities not included. 

A few weeks ago I messaged a CNF guy there, who says he really likes it there, but he dislikes the divide between funded TAs and non funded MFA students. He said it created cliques. 

I know this is outside the GMU topic, but I've been accepted to Draft! 

Latest news: 

University of Houston fiction acceptance

University of San Fransico poetry acceptance

And Rutgers-Newark poetry acceptance

Also, I guess pizza is good luck?? 

1 minute ago, sadpoet said:

I know this is outside the GMU topic, but I've been accepted to Draft! 

Latest news: 

University of Houston fiction acceptance

University of San Fransico poetry acceptance

And Rutgers-Newark poetry acceptance

Also, I guess pizza is good luck?? 

Thank you for the Draft news, @sadpoet ! And just in case, I'll have pizza tonight :) 

23 hours ago, Hortense said:

@pdh12 Didn't apply to Irvine, but it's one of the top programs. Lots of famous alumni. Great stipend, reasonable teaching load, 3-year program. Not sure about the location--I've heard Irvine's boring, but it's not far from LA, right? I would have applied, but my partner was adamant he didn't want to move to CA (too far for us to relocate). Incidentally, I've heard almost nothing about Irvine on Draft. Some places just don't seem to generate a lot of excitement on there, but it doesn't mean it's not a great program.

Irvine strongly encourages its accepted students to not say anything online about their acceptance. Also, their poetry program has a tendency to not send out rejection letters either. It's a great program though. And they were super considerate to me last year--even emailed me asking for a late letter or rec a month or so after the deadline. I was going to apply again this year, but life got in the way. 

2 hours ago, manandcamel said:

Accepted to Montana for poetry. No funding - the email says there's only five TA-ships available (not sure if this is across the board or just poetry). 

Congrats on the acceptance, @mandandcamel! I hope the funding comes through.

Days are long when I keep checking in. Although I'm about to leave for a week camping in my van with two dogs and a cat called Stephen! No wifi, no phone? I'm not sure what to expect. But I made pizza today just in case... Good luck everyone! 

16 minutes ago, Sleam said:

Days are long when I keep checking in. Although I'm about to leave for a week camping in my van with two dogs and a cat called Stephen! No wifi, no phone? I'm not sure what to expect. But I made pizza today just in case... Good luck everyone! 

Safe and happy travels, @Sleam

24 minutes ago, MFA17OrBust said:

Safe and happy travels, @Sleam

Thanks! It's an assignment for a magazine in the UK, get to interview and photograph old Land Rovers! Take care, friends. 

On February 28, 2017 at 7:30 PM, manandcamel said:

@Scheherazade I have to disagree about funding. It's not competitive when compared to other programs, and it's especially not competitive regarding the cost of living. I gave up looking at apartments on Craigslist when I saw a literal tiny house (~200sqft.) listed for $950 / mo, utilities not included. 

A few weeks ago I messaged a CNF guy there, who says he really likes it there, but he dislikes the divide between funded TAs and non funded MFA students. He said it created cliques. 

Yeah, the funding isn't great, and there are better-funded programs in the area (Hopkins and UMD). But I'd argue it's at least decent, in that they offer funding to a significant number of students. Their stipend is pretty low, but it's on par with a lot of other programs in expensive areas (Boston University and the University of Washington come to mind). And it's certainly better than the expensive programs that offer virtually zero funding (*insert private university in New York City here*). That said, I guess "not accumulating 100k in debt" is a pretty low bar to clear. Ideally you'd want a livable stipend, and it sounds like George Mason's teaching load is really heavy for what you get. I didn't realize how much teaching they required.

Good point about the divide between funded and unfunded students. That was a big consideration for me; I applied mostly to places that fund all students equally or close to it. When I picked programs, I looked for ones that emphasized camaraderie over competition, and I feel like uneven funding inherently creates a hierarchy. 

By the way, regarding housing in the D.C. area, there are relatively affordable options out there, though you'd probably have to take a roommate or two. When I lived there a few years ago, I paid between $550 and $750 (the former being for an awful house in Maryland I shared with four strangers, the latter being for a nice one-bedroom in Capitol Hill I shared with my partner). I think my favorite living situations were when I shared row houses with a few friends; both times I paid around $600 + utilities. But I'm extroverted and need constant human interaction, so I like having roommates.

1 hour ago, aridari said:

Looks like jhu started calling today for fiction. Assuming no news is not good news. Haven't seen any other acceptances on draft, but not feeling particularly hopeful. 

Welp, I guess that's another program I can cross off my list. With one school left to notify, I'm already starting to work on my applications for 2018. I wish I had started earlier last year; even though I felt good about my SOP back in December, I've found all sorts of ways to make it better. Lesson learned: let drafts simmer before sending them out into the application abyss.