2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

So I have an interview that overlaps with one that I already accepted. But the school that just offered is one of my top choices. Does it look bad if I ask if they have another date? And do I tell them I have another interview or just say I can't go?

Hi everyone! Panicking from reading all of your acceptances- has anyone heard back from the UCLA biosciences PhD? I specifically applied for the neuroscience specialization if that makes any difference. I've gotten some other interview invites but thats my number one choice. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, molecularbio23 said:

Does anyone know if UNC Chapel Hill BBSP is finished sending out interview invitations? I saw the first influx of invites late last week, and am curious if there's more waves of invites. My application wasn't "finished" until December 3rd because my GRE scores took a couple of days to match.

Thank you, and congratulations to everyone hearing back :)

I'm in the same boat as you. What area of focus did you apply to? I noticed the few notifications were for psych/neuro so hopefully they haven't gotten to the other ones. Mine were cancer bio, mol bio, and immunology.

3 hours ago, bicsy said:

AHHH MICHIGAN CALLED BACK AND I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! 

The caller did say that they haven't had their big official review meeting yet but they are beginning to give invites to a few applicants.

@biosci MCDB :)  what about you?

Me too!  What weekend are you going?

Not directly applicable to your university or program, but imho, it doesnt matter when the official GRE scores come in and are matched, as long as they have unofficial GRE scores reported by you to evaluate. My GRE scores still haven't reached WUSTL (really ETS? :angry:) and I got an interview invite like a week back.

21 minutes ago, molecularbio23 said:

Does anyone know if UNC Chapel Hill BBSP is finished sending out interview invitations? I saw the first influx of invites late last week, and am curious if there's more waves of invites. My application wasn't "finished" until December 3rd because my GRE scores took a couple of days to match.

Thank you, and congratulations to everyone hearing back :)

Edited by Microburritology

9 minutes ago, neuronerd2016 said:

Hi everyone! Panicking from reading all of your acceptances- has anyone heard back from the UCLA biosciences PhD? I specifically applied for the neuroscience specialization if that makes any difference. I've gotten some other interview invites but thats my number one choice. Thanks!

I received an invitation for the Gene Regulation program, but the invitation was program-specific, so I would assume each program sends invitations at a different time! :)

Just now, Gram Positive said:

Just checked my email...and...I got an invite to my top choice program (Emory MMG)!!! I need to take a moment to calm down. 

I got a call and email from a faculty member on the recruitment committee. 

Yay!  Happy day!

2 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Congrats! :D

Do you know if MCDB is the only program sending invites today? 

Thanks!  I don't know.  They did say that they haven't had their big meeting yet, but I don't know when that is.

Hi all! I'm new to this site, and freaking about applications...

I applied to 9 so far: UCSF (BMS), Berkeley (CMB), Stanford (Genetics), U Chicago (Human Genetics), U Michigan (Human Genetics) U Penn (GGR), Johns Hopkins (Human Genetics), MIT (Biology), Harvard (BBS). 

I've gotten an interview for U Chicago (Jan 21-23) but I'm terrified I won't get any others. 

Anyone else in the same/similar boat?

6 minutes ago, scilinny said:

I applied to 9 so far: UCSF (BMS), Berkeley (CMB), Stanford (Genetics), U Chicago (Human Genetics), U Michigan (Human Genetics) U Penn (GGR), Johns Hopkins (Human Genetics), MIT (Biology), Harvard (BBS). 

I've gotten an interview for U Chicago (Jan 21-23) but I'm terrified I won't get any others. 

I know someone who received an interview from Hopkins' Human Genetics program super late in the game last year (she had to turn it down due to conflicting interviews!), so probably don't freak out about that one yet! 

Edited by AtomDance

Just now, scilinny said:

Absolutely the same boat. With the exception of Michigan PIBS (and not anyone from my specific program), no one has heard from any of my programs (as far as I'm aware). The anticipation is killer, and I imagine easier once one has a couple interviews lined up. You already have one, it seems likely you'll get others! :D

5 minutes ago, scilinny said:

No. 

Calm down. We're not here to feed into people's anxiety and worries.

Plenty of invites have not been sent out. You already received an interview from a top university and should be proud and excited for things to come.

Just now, Infinito said:

No. 

Calm down. We're not here to feed into people's anxiety and worries.

Plenty of invites have not been sent out. You already received an interview from a top university and should be proud and excited for things to come.

Yeah, interviews are just starting to come out. It's normal to feel anticipation, but no need to freak out about anything at this point, especially when you already have an interview lined up.

2 minutes ago, ruckaround said:

Absolutely the same boat. With the exception of Michigan PIBS (and not anyone from my specific program), no one has heard from any of my programs (as far as I'm aware). The anticipation is killer, and I imagine easier once one has a couple interviews lined up. You already have one, it seems likely you'll get others! :D

thanks! fingers crossed!
best of luck for you too :)

21 minutes ago, scilinny said:

All of this, yes.  I know how you feel, but let's not panic.  If it happens, well be so happy, but if not we should both be grateful for the opportunities we do have.  But i do get it because Harvard and UCSF should start sending stuff the end of this week ish.  They're two of my top choices and I just want to knooooooow

Edited by biochemgirl67

1 hour ago, neuronerd2016 said:

Hi there! Not sure about UCLA but curious to know what other neuroscience programs have sent invites so far, if you're able to share? Thanks!!

There we go.

Just got my first interview invite. 
I'm going to be courteous and not say which one of my programs it is so people don't panic and ask where there invites are, etc. I'll post all the ones I hear from in January.

Breathe, friends. It's a skill that will take you far in graduate school, especially where there are no barometers that indicate how well you are doing.

2 minutes ago, Infinito said:

There we go.

Just got my first interview invite. 
I'm going to be courteous and not say which one of my programs it is so people don't panic and ask where there invites are, etc. I'll post all the ones I hear from in January.

Breathe, friends. It's a skill that will take you far in graduate school, especially where there are no barometers that indicate how well you are doing.

Congrats. But tell us!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Guys, Adele just announced an American tour. Can we talk about this? 
I'm feeling too much. 

(Just trying to ease the tension :p) 

2 minutes ago, jzhan118 said:

OMG seriously?

Me to Adcoms: "Hello... It's me... I was wondering if after all these year's you'd like to meet..."

Adcoms: "YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED TO X."

Months later when you're staring at people that were rejected and haters that didn't believe in you:

"HELLLLOOO FROM THE OOOOOTHER SIIIIIIIIIDDDDE~"