2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Just got rejected from UM PIBS... that was one of my "fit"/"safety" schools and since I've only gotten one interview, I'm really terrified that means I'll get rejected/ have already gotten rejected from my other ones. If I'm not good enough for UM I don't get how I can get into U Chicago or anywhere else on my list. It definitely doesn't help that I probably got rejected from UPenn, Harvard, and UCSF since their interviews have already gone out... 

Insights? Advice?  

9 minutes ago, scilinny said:

Just got rejected from UM PIBS... that was one of my "fit"/"safety" schools and since I've only gotten one interview, I'm really terrified that means I'll get rejected/ have already gotten rejected from my other ones. If I'm not good enough for UM I don't get how I can get into U Chicago or anywhere else on my list. It definitely doesn't help that I probably got rejected from UPenn, Harvard, and UCSF since their interviews have already gone out... 

Insights? Advice?  

First off there really is no such thing as a "safety school" in graduate school.  I have no idea of your background or why you think UM is a safety school.  If you went to Michigan that may be why you got rejected, since schools like to diversify a bit.  I would recommend you focus on your one interview than starting to care about rejections.  All you need is one interview, one school, you can't go to them all.

Edited by peachypie
grammar

2 minutes ago, peachypie said:

First off there really is no such thing as a "safety school" in graduate school.  I have no idea of your background or why you think UM is a safety school.  If you went to Michigan that may be why you got rejected, since school's like to diversify a bit.  I would recommend you focus on your one interview than starting to care about rejections.  All you need is one interview, one school, you can't go to them all.

I'm not from Michigan, also I know that UM is an amazing school, but it seemed easier to get into than the big names that I'm applying to (which is why I classified it as more of a "fit" than a "reach"). Thanks for the advice, I know I can only attend one school, but I hate having so few options at this point when others are celebrating 5+ interviews. Its hard to stay hopeful that I'll get into some of the schools on my list after receiving this rejection. 

14 minutes ago, peachypie said:

All you need is one interview, one school, you can't go to them all.

I gotta say, it is terrifying to only have one interview. A lot is riding on this one interview. But we should focus on the interviews that we do have rather than the rejections we may get.

18 minutes ago, scilinny said:

I'm not from Michigan, also I know that UM is an amazing school, but it seemed easier to get into than the big names that I'm applying to (which is why I classified it as more of a "fit" than a "reach"). Thanks for the advice, I know I can only attend one school, but I hate having so few options at this point when others are celebrating 5+ interviews. Its hard to stay hopeful that I'll get into some of the schools on my list after receiving this rejection. 

If this is all it takes to defeat you to this point then grad school is going to wreck you.  You need to learn resilience.  I would have hoped that the schools you applied to are ones that you are happy to go to so, even if U of Chicago is your only interview and acceptance I would assume that you would be pleased to go there.  Just prepare as best as you can for the one you know you have, that is all you can control at this point.  The rest will fall into place.  The worst that happens is you have to re-apply next year.  the best is you will be attending U of Chicago in the fall. 

7 minutes ago, apple93 said:

Just got Columbia CMBS invite. Ughhh both dates conflict with other schools I've said yes to. Whyyyy :( so many interviews are on the weekend of Jan 29 or Feb 12 :(

1 minute ago, Nero_Mustbethefeeling said:

Woot Woot, I cant believe it, I just got an interview invite for Columbia Systems and Comp Bio!

Hope no one is pulling a Steve Harvey on me :D

congrats!

20 minutes ago, apple93 said:

Just got Columbia CMBS invite. Ughhh both dates conflict with other schools I've said yes to. Whyyyy :( so many interviews are on the weekend of Jan 29 or Feb 12 :(

Congrats! Seriously I've had like three schools now that want Jan 29th weekend and I already committed to the first school and they've already gotten my plane tickets :(

9 minutes ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

Congrats! Seriously I've had like three schools now that want Jan 29th weekend and I already committed to the first school and they've already gotten my plane tickets :(

Thanks! I know right :( why don't they choose other less popular weekends?! Like there is nothing on Feb 5th weekend....

Just got an interview invite for UCI CMB but both their interview dates conflict with other schools I've already committed to...

Has anyone had to deal with this before and what options do I have? Is it appropriate to ask for yet another date or maybe a Skype interview? Or do I just have to turn the interview invite down entirely?

7 minutes ago, AmyShelton said:

Just FYI, Rockefeller's main weekend will be the last weekend of February. Called to find out to help with scheduling other invites.

Well that's great because now all my February is booked up and I thought Rockefeller would be first week of March. So whether I get the interview now or not is a meh.

12 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

Just got an interview invite for UCI CMB but both their interview dates conflict with other schools I've already committed to...

Has anyone had to deal with this before and what options do I have? Is it appropriate to ask for yet another date or maybe a Skype interview? Or do I just have to turn the interview invite down entirely?

Feel free to ask for Skype interviews. I've had plenty that allowed that. Only a few schools said they only do interviews during the days they said they do. And ain't nobody got time for that. Programs thinking they're so special that they can't go out of their way for potential grad students. You can only imagine how far out of the way they'll go for you while you are in the program.

3 minutes ago, Infinito said:

Well that's great because now all my February is booked up and I thought Rockefeller would be first week of March. So whether I get the interview now or not is a meh.

I think Rockefeller has 2 options. They said "All applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified the week of January 11th, 2016. Our interview dates are February 25-26 and March 3-4, 2016. Please try to keep these dates free until you hear from us."

Don't think there are any other posters here applying for UColorado Anschutz cancer bio, but in case of lurkers/future applicants, I got an interview(my first!!! phew!!!) via email today.

I'm a low GPAer and I applied mostly to competitive programs because I'm hesitant to leave my cushy industry job. I wasn't entirely surprised about the radio silence from Penn, Columbia, and Cornell (all big reaches!), but it still made me freak out and decide I'd get rejected everywhere. But, there's hope for us! 

Edited by parafilm

1 minute ago, parafilm said:

Don't think there are any other posters here applying for UColorado Anschutz cancer bio, but in case of lurkers/future applicants, I got an interview(my first!!! phew!!!) via email today.

I'm a low GPAer and I applied mostly to competitive programs because I'm hesitant to leave my cushy industry job. I wasn't entirely surprised about the radio silence from Penn, Columbia, and Cornell (all big reaches!), but it still made me freak out and decide I'd get rejected everywhere. But, there's hope for us! 

Congrats!  That's awesome :)

2 minutes ago, parafilm said:

I'm a low GPA with lots of experience and an industry job, so its nice to know people like myself are getting interviews.  I haven't heard back but only 4/8 schools have gotten back to anyone so far (according to the survey).  I also have a friend that freaked out last year because she wasnt getting early interviews, but she ended up getting interviews (and acceptances) to schools in January that started inviting in December.  So I guess I shouldn't be worried yet.

Congrats on the interview though!

@biochemgirl67  No, I would not say I was trying to "backdoor" my way into this program.  The person who I was set up with has no bearing on admissions decisions, and the questions I asked him were solely about the atmosphere of the science programs at the school and the area surrounding it as well as a question about the structure of the program.  I'm rather offended by your conclusion. 

Edited by aaahhhmyfuture
words

6 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

I'm a low GPA with lots of experience and an industry job, so its nice to know people like myself are getting interviews.  I haven't heard back but only 4/8 schools have gotten back to anyone so far (according to the survey).  I also have a friend that freaked out last year because she wasnt getting early interviews, but she ended up getting interviews (and acceptances) to schools in January that started inviting in December.  So I guess I shouldn't be worried yet.

Congrats on the interview though!

Same boat as all of you. From Memphis, got a BS and MS near Chicago, then landed a biotech job in Seattle where I've been for the past 2 years.  Gotta have a PhD to get where I want to be, but I am really tired of moving and starting over so this year only applied to UW Immunology and UW Bioengineering. GPA of ~3.4 and ~3.6. So yeah, go non-traditionals!

Edited by RaganSmash
clarification

Should you respond to the email which states that you are invited to an interview, or just RSVP in the provided link and that should suffice?

The interview e-mail didn't seem personalized towards me.  I'd like to respond with a thank you, but the e-mail was sent via their admissions email address so I'm not sure what to do

Please advise!