2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Hi guys,

Didn't hear back from Penn Immunology, only to realize today that my application was 'incomplete' (according to the ApplyWeb page) because they couldn't match my GRE scores to my account ( I sent them out late October/ early November so I'm sure they have my scores - other schools got them anyways). Do you guys think this caused them not to review my application? :( 

Edited by mythologyking

Just now, mythologyking said:

Hi guys,

Didn't hear back from Penn Immunology, only to realize today that my application was 'incomplete' (according to the ApplyWeb page) because they couldn't match my GRE scores to my account ( I sent them out in November so I'm sure they have my scores). Do you guys think this caused them not to review my application? :( 

In my experience, if you listed the scores in your app and then sent out your scores. The offical scores are to verifty AFTER the application has been succssful. All the schools I talked to said the same thing. The only thing about Penn was that they were steadfast about having my offical transcripts, all the other schools told me to save my money until I get an interview. You should call them to make sure. but in  my expiernce you should be fine.. (minus Penn) all of my schools have my status as incomplete. 

1 minute ago, novicescientist said:

In my experience, if you listed the scores in your app and then sent out your scores. The offical scores are to verifty AFTER the application has been succssful. All the schools I talked to said the same thing. The only thing about Penn was that they were steadfast about having my offical transcripts, all the other schools told me to save my money until I get an interview. You should call them to make sure. but in  my expiernce you should be fine.. (minus Penn) all of my schools have my status as incomplete. 

Oh okay, but that's cause you've finished your degree right? I know that for current students you just need to upload a copy, and send official ones to them after admission.

I tried calling them but no one picked up. Guess they're still on break :(

Just now, mythologyking said:

Oh okay, but that's cause you've finished your degree right? I know that for current students you just need to upload a copy, and send official ones to them after admission.

I tried calling them but no one picked up. Guess they're still on break :(

Yes, I finished 3 years ago. The answer I got was that the offical scores are to verify what you have listed in the app to what is actually true, which is completed before you recieve a formal offer. The best advice I can give you is to call them. They won't be back till January. I work in a university and I don't go back till Monday. No need to worry about it now right? just make sure you know what went wrong when you call them so that you can explain everything properly. I wish you all the best! You have great interview invites, don't worry too much on 1 school. :D

Hi All,

Long time lurker here- wondering if anyone's heard from any of these programs?

-Stanford Biomedical Informatics

-UCSD Bioinformatics

-UCSF Bioinformatics

-UC Berkeley Comp Bio

-Pittsburgh Comp Bio

So far I have interviews at Columbia Systems Biology, Michigan Bioinformatics, UW Seattle Biochemistry, and Cornell/Weill Cornell/MSKCC.  Thanks! :)

15 minutes ago, PASD693 said:

Hi All,

Long time lurker here- wondering if anyone's heard from any of these programs?

-Stanford Biomedical Informatics

-UCSD Bioinformatics

-UCSF Bioinformatics

-UC Berkeley Comp Bio

-Pittsburgh Comp Bio

So far I have interviews at Columbia Systems Biology, Michigan Bioinformatics, UW Seattle Biochemistry, and Cornell/Weill Cornell/MSKCC.  Thanks! :)

Congrats on your interview offers!

Hi everyone! So I've heard back from most of my schools, but wondering if anyone has heard back from Harvard PiN or UC Berkley neuroscience? A little concerned about Harvard since they said we'd be notified in late December- haven't heard anything so about to give up hope on that one, although I've scoured this thread and haven't seen anyone say that they got interviews yet.

Also on the off chance that anyone has heard from Stanford Biosciences (Neuroscience track)? They said they'd start sending out Jan 4th so not worried, just curious!

Congrats on all the interviews so far!! Hoping to meet some of you on them

16 minutes ago, neuronerd2016 said:

Hi everyone! So I've heard back from most of my schools, but wondering if anyone has heard back from Harvard PiN or UC Berkley neuroscience? A little concerned about Harvard since they said we'd be notified in late December- haven't heard anything so about to give up hope on that one, although I've scoured this thread and haven't seen anyone say that they got interviews yet.

Also on the off chance that anyone has heard from Stanford Biosciences (Neuroscience track)? They said they'd start sending out Jan 4th so not worried, just curious!

Fairly sure that at least a first wave of PiN invites went out already, look through this thread: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/71345-2016-neuroscience-phd-applicant-thread-people-thing/

Also Results search : http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=harvard+neuroscience

Edited by NeuroMetro

1 minute ago, NeuroMetro said:

Oh thank you that explains the lack of neuro posts recently!

10 minutes ago, neuronerd2016 said:

I heard from UC Berkeley Neuroscience on Dec. 16th and from Harvard PiN on Dec. 17th. I haven't heard from Stanford yet.

Received an interview invite today that I will be declining. This professor put a lot of work into reviewing applications, including personally Skype interviewing a few dozen applicants before extending invitations. So I feel pretty crappy about declining his offer, and am obsessing (unnecessarily) over the email I am sending in response to the invitation. Definitely not the worst problem to have, but it still sucks.

38 minutes ago, bicsy said:

This professor put a lot of work into reviewing applications

I'd say there is a good chance then that one or more very qualified applicants were in line behind you. By politely thanking this person, and declining, you likely just opened the door for someone else. No need to feel crappy. You're advancing your career, you have to prioritize, and that POI will have plenty of great recruits as well.

Did any international student get any response from the universities to interview yet? I'm freaking out cause I haven't heard back from any of the schools that i have applied to:

UT Houston (Cancer Biology), Baylor College of Medicine, University of Minnesota Twin Cities (MICAB), UIUC (MIP) and University of Cincinnati (Cancer biology). :(

I am freaking out! :(

Edited by pavitraviswanath

37 minutes ago, pavitraviswanath said:

Did any international student get any response from the universities to interview yet? I'm freaking out cause I haven't heard back from any of the schools that i have applied to:

UT Houston (Cancer Biology), Baylor College of Medicine, University of Minnesota Twin Cities (MICAB), UIUC (MIP) and University of Cincinnati (Cancer biology). :(

Hi,

I'm an International student and I have just received an interview invitation from USC, PIBBS graduate program at 23rd of Dec. 
We have some same schools in our applied list. I haven't heard back from UT Houston and Baylor College of Medicine either. 
I hope we will hear from them in January. 
be hopeful. ;)

6 hours ago, pavitraviswanath said:

I don't know, but you can always search for them on the survey: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php  Hope this helps!

Hey all, happy holidays. :)

So I have a bit of a dilemma..so far I've gotten 4 interviews for programs, and I'm waiting for a couple more. But in the meantime, I'm trying to decide if I should attend a recruitment weekend for a school that has like, only 2 PIs that I would be interested in working with..and even then I'm not super excited about it. 

Should I decline (afraid to do this because if I go, then there's a bigger overall chance of admittance somewhere) or go anyway?

Thanks in advance. 

Just now, Effloresce said:

Hey all, happy holidays. :)

So I have a bit of a dilemma..so far I've gotten 4 interviews for programs, and I'm waiting for a couple more. But in the meantime, I'm trying to decide if I should attend a recruitment weekend for a school that has like, only 2 PIs that I would be interested in working with..and even then I'm not super excited about it. 

Should I decline (afraid to do this because if I go, then there's a bigger overall chance of admittance somewhere) or go anyway?

Thanks in advance. 

I would give some thought to what made you apply there in the first place and if anything has changed.

1 minute ago, biosci said:

I would give some thought to what made you apply there in the first place and if anything has changed.

Okay this is weird because apparently some of the faculty weren't listed. 

I looked at the page and on the bottom it has revised 12/15. Okay, I'm more interested now. :P

On 12/26/2015 at 11:29 AM, jordy_protein said:

I have not heard back yet... hopefully they'll contact us this coming week

I also received an invitation to the PBSB program that conflicts with another interview. I tried calling today but it went to voicemail.

Keep me updated if you hear anything, hopefully they will add another interview date,

On 12/19/2015 at 8:18 PM, aaahhhmyfuture said:

Has anyone heard from UCSB MCDB?  They are supposed to let everyone here by Dec 31st, and I haven't heard yet.  I'm feeling a rejection because it's close to the Christmas Holiday, and I have heard nothing.

I heard back from them last week.  I think emails went out on the 22nd.  They told me they wanted me to respond within a week to let them know if I could attend the interview weekend.  I responded to them but have not yet heard any additional information since then.

21 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Lol every time I hear the name Harvard now and BBS I get triggered, which is kind of sad.

I've released my angst to the great beyond and am trying not to think about it. :P

Doesn't help that Stanford starts up again next week.  #firstworldproblems

Edited by biochemgirl67