2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 hour ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

I'm regretting not submitting my applications earlier.  A few of my professors said not to bother submitting anything early then major procrastination set in. But for those interested (still waiting), I submitted my material probably two days early.

why are you regretting that? Is it because of the wait? Judging from my invites they don't seem to correlate to any pattern of submission unless if it specifically says that it is rolling admissions. Of course I'm only one data point so never mind if that's not the case haha. The earliest was submitted 9 days before and the latest was 12 hours, however all of my letters arrived only a few hours before the deadline.

1 hour ago, alvinnari said:

I'm still worried abound Stanford Biosciences in Chemical and Systems Biology :( I've only seen one person say they've gotten in so far, but anyone else have any news? It's killing me! 

Yeah I'm wondering about that too! I applied to the Immunology program. I also saw a few people got in today. I can't tell if that means they're done or if more will be released in the next few days.

So back in september I ended up visiting 3/4 schools I applied to, getting shown around the department, participate in lab meetings and grad seminars (it was cool). I also ended up chatting with most of the faculty in each department, which kinda felt like a mini-interview. Anyway, I got an interview for one of the schools I visited, asked for a skype one (as the interview date clashes with one of my exams) instead and now I'm interviewing with the PI I've already had 3 skye calls with, spent 3 days with and who has said explicitly that she wants me. I feel like right now this "interview" is just a formality. Eeeeepp somone wants me!!!

1 minute ago, swiftninja said:

Yeah I'm wondering about that too! I applied to the Immunology program. I also saw a few people got in today. I can't tell if that means they're done or if more will be released in the next few days.

Yeah, not sure either. I think I might call tomorrow... I guess it might be different between the two programs we applied to but I figured it couldn't hurt asking instead of waiting until March to potentially find out the hard way :(

22 minutes ago, alvinnari said:

Yeah, not sure either. I think I might call tomorrow... I guess it might be different between the two programs we applied to but I figured it couldn't hurt asking instead of waiting until March to potentially find out the hard way :(

Please post on here if you do!  I'm dying to find out!  (And I applied to immunology too, by the way)

6 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Please post on here if you do!  I'm dying to find out!  (And I applied to immunology too, by the way)

Will do! We all have to look out for each other and help out haha. I'll call them around noon tomorrow and post what they say. Fingers crossed! 

Just now, alvinnari said:

Will do! We all have to look out for each other and help out haha. I'll call them around noon tomorrow and post what they say. Fingers crossed! 

Thank you!  I will be sending spectacular vibes your way for doing this for the rest of us!  :D

1 minute ago, alvinnari said:

Yes thank you :)

13 hours ago, Tanids said:

I just got an interview invitation today. It looks like they are starting to send them out now. Are you applying to the DBS program?

Yes, haven't heard anything. What are the interview dates?

Spoke with someone in the Biology Department at MIT yesterday afternoon, she said that interview invites should go out by the end of this week, and that the program will suggest one weekend of the three due to faculty availability, research interest, etc.

Also with regard to the timing of submission... I submitted all of my apps Nov. 30th, and one of my letters was received after the due date. It hasn't seemed to have negatively impacted me.

Hi guys! So I know this question has been asked before, but it seems I couldn't find the particulat threads anymore... Anyway, is there any difference between attending the first interview weekend and attending the second one? Would attending interviews at an earlier date increase my chance of acceptance? I remember some people say earlier is better but I've also heard opposing voices.

Thank you!!

30 minutes ago, ruckaround said:

Spoke with someone in the Biology Department at MIT yesterday afternoon, she said that interview invites should go out by the end of this week, and that the program will suggest one weekend of the three due to faculty availability, research interest, etc.

Also with regard to the timing of submission... I submitted all of my apps Nov. 30th, and one of my letters was received after the due date. It hasn't seemed to have negatively impacted me.

Thanks for the update!

10 hours ago, yonglin489 said:

They also said those who attend the online grad fair will have their application fee waived. I contacted them about how that works before I submitted my application but they never responded, so I paid the fees...

Huh. It worked for me...it took them a day or two though 

sorry to hear that :(

1 minute ago, Agent Orange said:

First Rejection!

Is it weird that I am a little bit jealous?  I want to know so bad about the outcomes of my applications that I would welcome some rejections (with interviews thrown in) right now!

2 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Is it weird that I am a little bit jealous?  I want to know so bad about the outcomes of my applications that I would welcome some rejections (with interviews thrown in) right now!

I feel the same way haha, i got spoiled by getting responses so quickly after the deadline (not even two weeks!!) so I am at the point where i just want to know what my schedule will look like this spring!

21 hours ago, peachypie said:

Definitely.  I am a woman and I wore pants for all of my interviews regardless of location.  My suit was pants/blazer/blouse with heels.  Then for non-interview days I wore a nice business pant (black or dark browns) and a nice sweater or a blouse and cardigan.  Don't think I packed a skirt or dress ever.  Best of luck.

I just talked to a program admin for a top NE school and they said that they fully encourage people to wear comfortable clothes for their interview, and to bring warm clothes. As such, while ripped jeans aren't good, they said clean nice jeans or khakis, and a t-shirt, would be absolutely fine. 
I mean, just think about it. Even most professors and grad students don't dress up in business clothes or even business casual. Wear something clean, neat and comfortable, and you'll be fine. 

40 minutes ago, Infinito said:

I just talked to a program admin for a top NE school and they said that they fully encourage people to wear comfortable clothes for their interview, and to bring warm clothes. As such, while ripped jeans aren't good, they said clean nice jeans or khakis, and a t-shirt, would be absolutely fine. 
I mean, just think about it. Even most professors and grad students don't dress up in business clothes or even business casual. Wear something clean, neat and comfortable, and you'll be fine. 

So either Yale or MIT is saying nice jeans or khakis and a t-shirt????  Strange, but if that is what they say!  By all means.  I didn't see any jeans or t-shirts on interview days, but it is obviously a decision for you to make.  People usually don't wear t-shirts in the northeast in winter, but maybe this place is well-heated. 

As I said before, applicants will typically be dressed nicer than the grad students and some PIs, that is to be expected.  Some professors and charimen and admin will be dressier and at a minimum be wearing dress pants and a buttoned shirt etc.  You'll always have a PI or two who is going to be in jeans and DGAF but that is what they get to do, they are already there.  You aren't.  You do whatever you want, I'm putting up information on my experience and what I have seen in subsequent interviews.  If it were me I wouldn't show up wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

13 hours ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

I'm regretting not submitting my applications earlier.  A few of my professors said not to bother submitting anything early then major procrastination set in. But for those interested (still waiting), I submitted my material probably two days early.

Submitting a long time before a deadline and submitting a day before the deadline should really be no different unless it has rolling admissions which all schools that do that are pretty clear about and typically those deadlines are much later and often still open at this point in time.  I submitted anywhere from a few days to no more than like a week before a deadline and I got all but one invite for interview.  I did not apply to any schools with rolling admissions.

5 hours ago, Emorphous said:

Hi guys! So I know this question has been asked before, but it seems I couldn't find the particulat threads anymore... Anyway, is there any difference between attending the first interview weekend and attending the second one? Would attending interviews at an earlier date increase my chance of acceptance? I remember some people say earlier is better but I've also heard opposing voices.

Thank you!!

This can be different for each school but you may not know until after how they do it.  I went to 2 or 3 interviews where they had multiple interview dates.  Each of these schools made offers after each interview weekend.  It obviously doesn't mean that they all filled up as I know most of us when getting interviews waited to 1. complete interviews and 2. took some time before making a final decision.  If that is the case it is obviously a bit better to go earlier since they will not be changing their offers to not exceed potential acceptances in previous weeks.  if they wait until after all interviews to make a decision it will have no meaning.  One of my interviews we were their first weekend applicants which a grad student said "you are the guys they want the most so I would guess everyone here gets an invite".  Lo and behold two days later I was offered admission.  this was in January and they had 2 more weekends that hadn't even occurred yet.  If you can make the first weekend work, why not?  If it is a scheduling conflict with another school then it is totally fine to take the next weekend but if nothing is stopping you I'd try to get into the first weekend since you don't know when they will start making decisions.

58 minutes ago, peachypie said:

So either Yale or MIT is saying nice jeans or khakis and a t-shirt????  Strange, but if that is what they say!  By all means.  I didn't see any jeans or t-shirts on interview days, but it is obviously a decision for you to make.  People usually don't wear t-shirts in the northeast in winter, but maybe this place is well-heated.

As I said before, applicants will typically be dressed nicer than the grad students and some PIs, that is to be expected.  Some professors and charimen and admin will be dressier and at a minimum be wearing dress pants and a buttoned shirt etc.  You'll always have a PI or two who is going to be in jeans and DGAF but that is what they get to do, they are already there.  You aren't.  You do whatever you want, I'm putting up information on my experience and what I have seen in subsequent interviews.  If it were me I wouldn't show up wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

It is stange, I interviewed at multiple places two years ago and did not see any candidates wear jeans until after hours.  Everyone in khakis, button down shirt at the very least. Many in blazers and a few in suits.   I would not have felt comfortable wearing jeans to an interview.

Edited by tuckbro

On 1/2/2016 at 4:39 PM, jordy_protein said:

No word on an alternative date. I emailed to ask about travel arrangements and they said we will be contacted after the 4th. 

So are you still requesting for alternative date? I am also PBSB and was told will be contacted after Jan 4th. Have you heard from them now?

4 minutes ago, AngryRobot! said:

So are you still requesting for alternative date? I am also PBSB and was told will be contacted after Jan 4th. Have you heard from them now?

No, I decided to tell them a while back that I would go Jan 20-22 since I wasn't sure they would offer another date. I just decided to not attend the interview I was less interested in that conflicted. PBSB emailed me just now and gave me the schedule for Jan 20-22. :)

3 minutes ago, jordy_protein said:

No, I decided to tell them a while back that I would go Jan 20-22 since I wasn't sure they would offer another date. I just decided to not attend the interview I was less interested in that conflicted. PBSB emailed me just now and gave me the schedule for Jan 20-22. :)

You mean, like, just now? From Ms. A.R.?