2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

6 hours ago, Microburritology said:

I'm having a Pre-Harvard Stress Disorder. I cleant up my inbox, unsubscribed to 90% of my emails, carefully emptied my junk folder, and overdosed on chocolates - all in anticipation of an email from Harvard this week. Will be deeply saddened if I don't up hearing from them on the 19th :unsure:

All the more anxious coz like a moron I didn't contact/email any professor before applying :(:(

I got into plenty of schools without talking to/contacting a professor beforehand.  Although a nice tough I don't think it puts you in either category of "definitely not admitted if you didn't" or "definitely interviewed if you did".  What is done is done, move on and concentrate on your upcoming interviews; right now those are WAY more important than waiting to be invited.

2 hours ago, brainsandeggs said:

One of my letter writers just emailed  me saying Stanford called him asking for more information as one of my recommenders. But he said the PI was from a Stroke research group (not sure what thats about, unless someone that I mentioned in my SOP also does stuff in neurology in the medical school...? But I didn't think so). 

ANYWAY has anyone heard anything like this from their LOR writers? I am obviously very happy (!) that they are showing any interest whatsoever in me, but I'm wondering if it means they are shaky on his letter or something about me as an applicant. Is this common practice for programs to contact letter writers for more info or a more detailed recommendation? 

I only have one example of this so take this with a grain of salt:  one of my classmate's LOR was contacted after her interview before she was extended an acceptance to the program and it was definitely a "we aren't totally sure" kind of feel to it.  Needless to say she got into the program and she is doing really well.  I haven't heard of anyone being contacted prior to the invite to interview simply because they have others they can pull from but I'd say it is better that they are investigating than not if anything.  It means they see something they don't want to just pass up but they may have some concerns that they feel can be clarified.  From what I have heard Stanford interview is pretty comprehensive and so they may take their invites more seriously.  I think it is a generally longer and more involved interview than most schools so maybe they are scrutinizing more beforehand.  Best of luck, you have some great schools on your list of interviews.

2 hours ago, brainsandeggs said:

Too true! Stanford is one of those schools that you never expect to hear back from so what was before a "eh no one gets in to Stanford, why worry" is more of a "AHHH?!" My only concern is that my LOR "writer" actually did not write the letter - I wrote it and he read it over and approved it, though he gave me carte blanche to write whatever. I even had to submit it (he was undergoing some serious back surgery during application season and was high on meds for weeks and STILL is so couldn't do it). I am worried they will ask him something about the letter and he'll be like "what?" and things will take a turn for the tragic. I frantically updated him on everything that was in the letter just in case, but during a opiates-laced phone call who knows what could happen. 

Ah this may explain some more to the story....they may be concerned that your SOP and your LOR letter sounded oddly similar. 

I think people shouldn't stress about getting on the second weekend.  I accepted the second weekend at UW Immunology (Feb 18 -20) because the week before that it conflicted with a Princeton interview I've committed to... and UW sends out rejections really quickly so I think that it depends on the program.  What I'm saying is that it would be better to go to their second date (which can be like the next week)  than to rearrange already accepted invites to get to the first weekend just because it's your top choice.  If you get rejected because of a schedule conflict and the fact that you came a week later, is that program really the one for you?  Or do you want one to consider the value of all reasonable applicants/interviewees before they decide who they want in their program?  Just some hopefully helpful perspective.

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I think people shouldn't stress about getting on the second weekend.  I accepted the second weekend at UW Immunology (Feb 18 -20) because the week before that it conflicted with a Princeton interview I've committed to... and UW sends out rejections really quickly so I think that it depends on the program.  What I'm saying is that it would be better to go to their second date (which can be like the next week)  than to rearrange already accepted invites to get to the first weekend just because it's your top choice.  If you get rejected because of a schedule conflict and the fact that you came a week later, is that program really the one for you?  Or do you want one to consider the value of all reasonable applicants/interviewees before they decide who they want in their program?  Just some hopefully helpful perspective.

Thanks.  For me the concern more was that I wasn't even offered the first weekend...

48 minutes ago, aichan93 said:

Hey I graduated from Brown undergrad! It's a nice campus, I hope you like it :) May I ask who you are interested in working with? My PI is part of the neuro grad program :)

Hey thats awesome! I've never been to Providence before so I'm really looking forward to getting to know the program. In my SOP I found three faculty that I really was excited about : Julie Kauer, Kevin Bath, and John Marshall - but the director told me to look over the faculty again and let him know who I would want to meet with so I'm going to go over everything again with a fine- toothed comb. Any suggestions from your experience there? 

23 minutes ago, biosci said:

Now feeling bad again about being given the second Yale weekend. :(  

what you need to do is be so ready for that weekend that you blow them out of the water.  They don't give everything away after the first round but again you can only help yourself by going first.  I think I was on a second weekend for one of my interviews and still got in.  Grad schools want to interview people they think they can get that they really want first.  Sometimes if a candidate is really promising they are worried they'll go to a "better school" and sometimes those people don't get the first invite weekend or may not get an interview at all.  Its a game of inviting people you want but also people you think will come if given a spot.  What you all don't realize is the politics involved in numbers and invited applicants.  A school doesn't want to get 15 spots for interviews and only get 4 applicants out of that group.  It makes it harder for that program to get 15 spots the next year among the graduate school since they were a less demanded program. 

4 minutes ago, biosci said:

Thanks.  For me the concern more was that I wasn't even offered the first weekend...

Honestly they fill up and they offer what is available.  I think they are sensitive to the fact that this whole bonanza is a scheduling nightmare.  Or they could be trying to save open spots on the first weekend for the people that can't go that second weekend.  You got offered an interview before Christmas, what, 2-3 weeks after the deadline?  They want you, suffice to say.

EDIT: politics are probably/definitely involved.  But I think from the tone of my invites that if they are extending the offer, they think you might be a good fit.  Yale has like a gazillion (highly accurate estimate) people they could have chosen.  Like I said, it could be trying to distribute the initial applicants to make room for those with tighter schedules or it could be that your track has "claimed" more of that day, or it could be a lottery.  You got the interview, it's time to shine!

Edited by biochemgirl67

10 minutes ago, peachypie said:

Ah this may explain some more to the story....they may be concerned that your SOP and your LOR letter sounded oddly similar. 

Right this is what I"m worried about - I worked really hard with him to make sure it wasn't in my voice, but its totally possible. Of course my PI 100% stands behind the letter (he read it before I submitted it) and said he would reiterate the same things and strongly recommend me but god only knows what he could say in his current state !! 

I'm hoping that even if that is a concern for them, at least they are showing some interest enough to check in with him :o

6 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Honestly they fill up and they offer what is available.  I think they are sensitive to the fact that this whole bonanza is a scheduling nightmare.  Or they could be trying to save open spots on the first weekend for the people that can't go that second weekend.  You got offered an interview before Christmas, what, 2-3 weeks after the deadline?  They want you, suffice to say.

EDIT: politics are probably/definitely involved.  But I think from the tone of my invites that if they are extending the offer, they think you might be a good fit.  Yale has like a gazillion (highly accurate estimate) people they could have chosen.  Like I said, it could be trying to distribute the initial applicants to make room for those with tighter schedules or it could be that your track has "claimed" more of that day, or it could be a lottery.  You got the interview, it's time to shine!

If a school has multiple weekends it is rarely a "first come first serve, fill up as needed situation".  But I do agree that an interview means they are interested and an invite this early is a good sign.  for all you know the profs you are interested in aren't available on the first weekend so they are electing to present you the second weekend too.  there are so many possibilities but you need to not focus on that right now.

5 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

Right this is what I"m worried about - I worked really hard with him to make sure it wasn't in my voice, but its totally possible. Of course my PI 100% stands behind the letter (he read it before I submitted it) and said he would reiterate the same things and strongly recommend me but god only knows what he could say in his current state !! 

I'm hoping that even if that is a concern for them, at least they are showing some interest enough to check in with him :o

Well, he'll probably preface himself by telling them of his personal situation.  And if he stands behind it, they will take his word.  Maybe they'll ask him to expand, maybe they'll ask if he really feels you are a good fit, maybe they want to check and see that he really did write it.  The point is, you shouldn't freak either way because you don't want the disappointment or the agonizing anticipation.  Close you eyes and decide that if the Stanford gods really do like you enough to personally contact your PI for whatever reason, you are still in the running, regardless of the outcome.

Edited by biochemgirl67

5 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

i mean, plenty of LORs have secretaries write letters for them and sign it.  It will be ok.  just relax and let it be!  side question: are you a virologist?

3 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Well, he'll probably preface himself by telling them of his personal situation.  And if he stands behind it, they will take his word.  Maybe they'll ask him to expand, maybe they'll ask if he really feels you are a good fit, maybe they want to check and see that he really did write it.  The point is, you shouldn't freak either way because you don't want the disappoint or the agonizing anticipation.  Close you eyes and decide that if the Stanford gods really do like you enough to personally contact your PI for whatever reason, you are still in the running, regardless of the outcome.

Wise words -- I wish he had never mentioned it at all! 

1 minute ago, peachypie said:

i mean, plenty of LORs have secretaries write letters for them and sign it.  It will be ok.  just relax and let it be!  side question: are you a virologist?

Yes that is definitely true! I know many PIs who ask students to write their own letters! 

I'll be imbibing some wine and relaxing all over the place tonight haha! Today has been stressful I dunno about you guys. 

I'm not in virology but neurobio ! 

Just now, Farafeelo said:

i have heard from people on some admissions committee that it might even be better if you go on the last weekend cuz they tend to remember you more when it comes time to deciding who gets in 

that is assuming they do it all at once, which in programs with multiple weekends is rarely the case.  Committees typically  meet the monday or tuesday after the interview weekend.  Not like 1 month later.

17 minutes ago, peachypie said:

What you all don't realize is the politics involved in numbers and invited applicants.  A school doesn't want to get 15 spots for interviews and only get 4 applicants out of that group.  It makes it harder for that program to get 15 spots the next year among the graduate school since they were a less demanded program. 

What do you mean by this?  I'm confused

51 minutes ago, peachypie said:

Always want to go to the first if it is a top pick for you.  Here is the thing, acceptances after interview go out shortly after a visit.  This means that if a place has multiple weekends they put their top recruits in the first set and will extend invites often before the next set.  If you have to do a  makeup or alternate weekend it is BY NO MEANS a death sentence, but trust me you want to hit your top picks as early as you can or as close to the official invite so that when the committee meets to make decisions you are on the short list.

@peachypie, the invite email suggests attending the second weekend for students interested in a specific track because the faculty at the second weekend will better represent that track....  in that case, wouldn't you go the second weekend?

1 minute ago, biosci said:

What do you mean by this?  I'm confused

Say in 2014 a program was slotted by the overarching grad program to get 10 spots for their next class.  They select lets say 15 (based on previous ratios of interview to acceptance to enroll to get an expected 10 enrollees).  But for whatever reason they offered admission and only enrolled 7 (students went to higher ranked programs, poor fit, unavailable PIs etc).  then in 2015 the slots for that program may suddenly go to 8 since the program couldn't fill the 10 the previous year whereas another program maxed out.  There is a lot of money, budget, and bigger politics that affect the programs.  It is why a tier 2 may be hesitant to interview a solid tier 1 applicant for fear that they are a backup school and that the applicant is unlikely to take an acceptance since they will go to a tier 1 school.

1 minute ago, Earl said:

@peachypie, the invite email suggests attending the second weekend for students interested in a specific track because the faculty at the second weekend will better represent that track....  in that case, wouldn't you go the second weekend?

yes.  They clearly gave you the information why.  I also stated in a later reply that available faculty that are appropriate to that applicant are also one reason you  may be given a different weekend.  If they specifically address a certain weekend for you for those reasons it is quite obvious to do that.  It means they want to make sure you get to talk to people of interest to you and those who may be interested in you rather than a weekend where you don't get to talk to someone with research that draws you in.  In hese cases it is very clear what you should do.  In cases where they say nothing about that, I'd recommend you go to the first one.

4 hours ago, Sarahjc said:

Anyone know when Washington's Genome Sciences invites are going out or when their interview weekend is? Still hoping to hear something today 

I received an email invitation to interview this afternoon. I hope you hear back soon, and all the best! The interview is February 7-9th. 

Some schools are set up to focus on a specific area on each weekend. So if you're offered a date that is later than someone else, it may just be due to your specific area of interest and not a gauge of the school's level of interest in you. So don't panic if you're given a later date.

If those of you are interested there is an off-site grad chat that is used by people who were here when we had a chat that has been discontinued.  If you are interested in joining a chat with current grad students as well as each other you can do so--usually a few people are in!

link:

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/

For the Connect select: Rizon

Select your nickname

Channel: #gradchat