2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

4 hours ago, apple93 said:

Do people know if Berkeley MCB is done sending out invites? Or are they sending out more next week?

The invite I got was via a phone call from a POI. He said that the official email invite won't go out until early January but was just calling to give some good news before the holidays. I'm sure they didn't call every invited applicant otherwise they might as well have just sent the email instead. I wouldn't worry about it until January rolls around.

So, having not heard back from any of my schools yet, I'm probably going to send out a few more applications to less competitive programs. I know it's not a nail in the coffin at all, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So I know University of Oregon Biochemistry and University of Arizona Biochemistry have Jan. 5th deadlines, does anybody else know of any decent schools whose programs in Biochemistry have later application deadlines?

1 hour ago, BiochemVitD said:

So, having not heard back from any of my schools yet, I'm probably going to send out a few more applications to less competitive programs. I know it's not a nail in the coffin at all, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So I know University of Oregon Biochemistry and University of Arizona Biochemistry have Jan. 5th deadlines, does anybody else know of any decent schools whose programs in Biochemistry have later application deadlines?

The Biochemistry and Molecular Biology program at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health has a Jan 15th deadline I believe. Baylor College of Medicine also has a January deadline.

okay, i have an interview scheduling dilemma... 

i had rsvp'd to an interview for SCHOOL A, then received another interview from SCHOOL B (i have greater interest in SCHOOL B's program) that conflicts with SCHOOL A.  i am local for SCHOOL A, so they wouldn't have to spend money on travel/lodging for me, whereas SCHOOL B would have to.  what do you guys think about asking SCHOOL A to reschedule the interview for another time?  i was thinking it *might* be okay because i am local anyways and can pop in any time?  

adviceeeeeeee please, thanks!

47 minutes ago, Earl said:

i had rsvp'd to an interview for SCHOOL A, then received another interview from SCHOOL B (i have greater interest in SCHOOL B's program) that conflicts with SCHOOL A.  i am local for SCHOOL A, so they wouldn't have to spend money on travel/lodging for me, whereas SCHOOL B would have to.  what do you guys think about asking SCHOOL A to reschedule the interview for another time?  i was thinking it *might* be okay because i am local anyways and can pop in any time?  

You've already accepted the interview offer to School A. It would be extremely rude to ask them to change dates, and potentially expensive. Ask School B for an alternative interview date.

1 hour ago, Earl said:

It would be very rude to snub school A like that, so don't do it unless you actually have minimal interest in the program.  And you can't "pop in anytime" because they are scheduling faculty interviews that you requested...

1 hour ago, Earl said:

or should I just ask SCHOOL B for alternative interview dates?

This, because you already made commitments to school A's interview date, and as mentioned above, it would be rude to expect them to change it for you.  

31 minutes ago, lindydhr19 said:

Hey, I am an international applicant and I just found out about this website! I wished I'd discovered it sooner >.< I am wondering if anyone has heard from U Chicago Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and Columbia UMC Systems Biology?

It seems like some people have received interviews for U Chicago Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics already. However, I wouldn't fret because a large bulk of admissions always come out in January.  Columbia Systems Biology appears to have not sent out anything yet (don't quote me on this)

Feel free to refer to this page for the latest admissions updates:

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

Hey you guys.  I was emailing a POI that a family member had set me up with.  I didn't really tell anyone where I was applying ahead of time, so this conversation was after I had applied.  He replied to my family member when the three of us were communicating, but when I responded to him with a few questions, he did not answer.  This was a week ago.  Should I send a follow up email or just let it be?  (The set up was largely at the extreme desire of my family to feel helpful.)

7 hours ago, biotechie said:

You've already accepted the interview offer to School A. It would be extremely rude to ask them to change dates, and potentially expensive. Ask School B for an alternative interview date.

6 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

It would be very rude to snub school A like that, so don't do it unless you actually have minimal interest in the program.  And you can't "pop in anytime" because they are scheduling faculty interviews that you requested...

6 hours ago, pot8o said:

This, because you already made commitments to school A's interview date, and as mentioned above, it would be rude to expect them to change it for you.

Thanks for the advice guys.  Yeah, I don't want/intend to be rude to School A.  It's just that School B is one of my top choices, and I don't want to "hurt" my chances of getting in by not being able to make the full interview weekend (ie. by having an interview at a later date etc).  

How do schools take to being asked for an alternative interview date?  Does it put you at a disadvantage in any way?