Overall GPA: 3.25
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised
Q: 156 (64th%) -taking again
V: 166 (96th%)
W: 4.5 (86th%)
B: Not taken

Research Experience: Lab tech doing cancer research for 6 years at a top 10 university. 5 publications in peer-reviewed journals: 2 first author papers (in journals in the top 15% of the field), 1 second author paper in a high impact factor journal that made national news, and 2 other 3rd author papers in mid-level journals (top 15% in field). 3 manuscripts are currently submitted and under review, but I doubt they will be accepted before apps are due. Gave an oral presentation at a major international cancer conference (less than 5% of abstracts were selected for oral presentation), presented a poster at an international cancer conference, second author on an abstract that was selected for oral presentation at a cancer meeting, and am listed as a co-author on several other posters/abstracts (second author on one and middle author on others) that were presented at major meetings. In college, I conducted a senior thesis for one year in a lab.  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Student Leader Award, Dean's list for one year...

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research tech for 6 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I gave an oral presentation at an international cancer meeting, I've been told by professors who have reviewed my CV that this is impressive for a grad school candidate. 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent LORs from widely known professors (one is my PI and the other two are collaborating PIs who know me well), all from top tier research institutions, including the ones I am applying to. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Although my title is "tech", I have essentially been working as a post-doc for the last several years (without the degree obviously). I work on my own projects, propose my own research, work independently, prepare manuscripts, train other members of the lab (students, post-docs and fellows), present at meetings in the institution and outside, and attend conferences at least 1-2/year. My PI and other LORs will address this. My research experience is really the only thing I have going for me... not sure if this can make up for my grades and low quant GRE (although I am taking it again and hoping it will improve). 

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Weill Cornell (BCMB)

Sloan Kettering Gerstner

NYU Sackler

Columbia 

Stanford (Cancer Biology Program)

OHSU 

USCF Tetrad

UCLA Cell and Devel. Biol

I should probably add more attainable schools, but I would have a hard time giving up my research now at a top tier school for a school I'm less interested in since my research now is going very well and will lead to several publications in the next year. If I don't get in anywhere I'm interested in (above schools), then I think I would rather stay where am I and work for another year while taking classes, improving my GRE score, etc and applying again next cycle. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of people who have had low scores but strong research and still got into a top tier school??  I was told by some professors that aptitude for research (which my app will show I have) will win out, which is why I am even bothering applying. But still can't shake the feeling that I am wasting my time... :-/ 

Anyone have any thoughts?? 

Good luck everyone!

Edited by GradApplicant2016

Undergrad Institution: Ivy League
Major(s):  Neuroscience & Behavior
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.11  

Research Experience: Lab tech doing cancer research for 6 years at a top 10 university. 5 publications in peer-reviewed journals: 2 first author papers (in journals in the top 15% of the field), 1 second author paper in a high impact factor journal that made national news, and 2 other 3rd author papers in mid-level journals (top 15% in field). 3 manuscripts are currently submitted and under review, but I doubt they will be accepted before apps are due. Gave an oral presentation at a major international cancer conference (less than 5% of abstracts were selected for oral presentation), presented a poster at an international cancer conference, second author on an abstract that was selected for oral presentation at a cancer meeting, and am listed as a co-author on several other posters/abstracts (second author on one and middle author on others) that were presented at major meetings. In college, I conducted a senior thesis for one year in a lab.  

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I gave an oral presentation at an international cancer meeting, I've been told by professors who have reviewed my CV that this is impressive for a grad school candidate. 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent LORs from widely known professors (one is my PI and the other two are collaborating PIs who know me well), all from top tier research institutions, including the ones I am applying to. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Although my title is "tech", I have essentially been working as a post-doc for the last several years (without the degree obviously). I work on my own projects, propose my own research, work independently, prepare manuscripts, train other members of the lab (students, post-docs and fellows), present at meetings in the institution and outside, and attend conferences at least 1-2/year. My PI and other LORs will address this. My research experience is really the only thing I have going for me... not sure if this can make up for my grades and low quant GRE (although I am taking it again and hoping it will improve). 

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Weill Cornell (BCMB)

Sloan Kettering Gerstner

NYU Sackler

Columbia 

OHSU 

USCF Tetrad

I should probably add more attainable schools, but I would have a hard time giving up my research now at a top tier school for a school I'm less interested in since my research now is going very well and will lead to several publications in the next year. If I don't get in anywhere I'm interested in (above schools), then I think I would rather stay where am I and work for another year while taking classes, improving my GRE score, etc and applying again next cycle. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of people who have had low scores but strong research and still got into a top tier school??  I was told by some professors that aptitude for research (which my app will show I have) will win out, which is why I am even bothering applying. But still can't shake the feeling that I am wasting my time... :-/ 

Good luck everyone!

I honestly think thay your research experience will most definitely make you an excellent candidate for graduate school in any tier. GRE scores are not really informative of a person's capacity to do research, whereas continuous productive exposure to the field and international presentations show you have a lot of skill. 

Minor(s):

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Weill Cornell (BCMB)

Sloan Kettering Gerstner

NYU Sackler

Columbia 

OHSU 

USCF Tetrad

Good luck everyone!

Also, if it helps, I personally know someone that currently goes to a top 3 school that has lower GRE scores than you and a similar GPA.  ;P

GradApplicant2016, I had a somewhat similar experience to you. I applied last year with a 2.9 overall GPA, but excellent research and teaching experiences and very positive letters of recommendation, although I never had any publications until after I had been accepted. I applied to a similar range of well-ranked schools, and while I did get rejected from quite a few, I got into a few top programs. You will almost certainly be fine, but if you're still worried about it, feel free to pm me.

Minor(s):

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Weill Cornell (BCMB)

Sloan Kettering Gerstner

NYU Sackler

Columbia 

OHSU 

USCF Tetrad

Good luck everyone!

Is there a reason you don't want to direct admit into the lab you're currently working in? Your Phd would be easier if you stayed in your current lab. I don't think your school list is unattainable especially considering your research and publications. 

Your research and publications will be more impressive than anyone straight out of undergrad. Your GPA/GRE aren't that low. The only school that might reject you for low GPA/Gre is Rockefeller but they are weird with their decisions so who knows. 

GradApplicant2016, I had a somewhat similar experience to you. I applied last year with a 2.9 overall GPA, but excellent research and teaching experiences and very positive letters of recommendation, although I never had any publications until after I had been accepted. I applied to a similar range of well-ranked schools, and while I did get rejected from quite a few, I got into a few top programs. You will almost certainly be fine, but if you're still worried about it, feel free to pm me.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Happy to hear you were in a similar boat as me and still got accepted into well-ranked schools. At least it sounds like they don't all have a strict GPA cutoff. I was envisioning a quick round of rejections after applying without any of the schools even evaluating my app because of GPA/GRE screening. 

Is there a reason you don't want to direct admit into the lab you're currently working in? Your Phd would be easier if you stayed in your current lab. I don't think your school list is unattainable especially considering your research and publications. 

Your research and publications will be more impressive than anyone straight out of undergrad. Your GPA/GRE aren't that low. The only school that might reject you for low GPA/Gre is Rockefeller but they are weird with their decisions so who knows. 

Well my PI doesn't actually have an appointment in the grad school, just the medical school (although he only does research now and most people are surprised to find he never opted for a grad school appointment), so we don't have any students in our lab. He has suggested that it is easy to get an apportionment and that he could do so if I ended up staying. I haven't heard of anyone direct admitting though, not sure if that's possible where I am (or I guess it might be, but no one talks about it?). I know a lot of professors here and my PI has talked me up with one of the grad school deans, but no one has said anything about me getting in automatically, so I'm still expecting all aspects of my application (like low GPA/GRE) to factor into whether I get in or not. If only someone would offer me a spot without having to go through the stress/anxiety of the application process :) 

Good luck everyone!

Hi! I applied to biophysics/computational bio programs last year with stats fairly similar to yours so my results might be helpful. I applied during the 2nd year of a MS program so I did have a year of grad course work with good grades when I applied. I think my research got me into school though and don't think this coursework made a difference

For some info on my profile: uGPA: 3.25, science uGPA: 3.0 from decent state school. I had a reasonable amount of undergrad research including presentations, a conference pub, awards. Also had an REU from a top 20 school.

MS GPA: 4.0 GPA from mediocre state school. My MS advisors were known/respected in my subfield though. I got a few papers (2 first author), tons of posters, and a couple platform talks from this research. I worked really hard during MS and impressed my advisors and know my LORs reflected this. GRE: 168Q, 162V, 4.0.

Anyway, I applied to 10 programs:  Univ of Washington, Washington Univ in St Louis, Johns Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford, Univ of Pitt, Univ of North Carolina, Univ of Maryland, Stony Brook, Rice. I got offers from all schools except Stanford and UCSF. I met people who were accepted to these schools at other interviews and they were all undergrad seniors with great numbers and average/unimpressive research experience (none that I had talked to had papers for example). These are of course just the people I met so I'm not claiming that everyone at these schools fits in this description. This leads me to think that Stanford and UCSF might focus put a lot of focus on grades and less on research experience. This is just a guess though and could be completely wrong. If they are a good research fit then you should certainly apply! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my experiences with any of the schools I applied to. For example, some schools specifically told me that they don't care about grades at all if above 3.0 or at others I was able to get a feel for which elements of my app they most valued, based on what they kept commenting on. I'd be happy to share if you are considering any of the schools I mentioned. I think you will definitely get some acceptances and even don't think you need to take the GRE again. The schools that will admit you are the ones who value research experience very highly. Your above average but not spectacular quant score won't sway them.

Edited by bsharpe269

Wow, gradapplicant2016, you've got an edge on me research wise! ;) I'm in a very similar boat-- I'm a 3.0 GPA with 165V 158Q (no time to retake, I'm stuck with it!), and 7+ years of solid research experience. Much of it has been in industry, so just one publication. I can only believe that experience, LORs, and commitment to research will get us in. If you can't pull it off, there's no hope for me, either! But I think schools would be crazy not to admit you. Good luck.

Minor(s):

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller

Weill Cornell (BCMB)

Sloan Kettering Gerstner

NYU Sackler

Columbia 

OHSU 

USCF Tetrad

Good luck everyone!

Hey,

Was in a similar situation. Grades and GRE were mediocre for someone applying to graduate school. I think what won out is the research experience (did several independent projects, did a research internship at my top choice lab the summer before applications) and also the connection I made with the POIs. You definitely need to "sell yourself" as someone who is committed to research and don't even bother pointing out how average your GPA/GRE scores are.

I'm currently at a school which is ranked #1 in Canada (and not too bad in world rankings) in several ranking systems. I think the Bio program is #18 in the world? Anyways, I wouldn't foresee you having trouble getting in anywhere. I went straight from my undergrad so I only had a couple years of research experience. But, with that experience, I've been to 2-4 conferences a year, mix of oral and poster presentations, and 2 manuscripts in submission. I've actually slowed down significantly in terms of research progress (I can only see myself presenting at 1-2 conferences this year) because I am part of very large projects that take a long time to finish. But, at the end, I will hopefully reap the benefits with a few publications (maybe some first-author). 

Ugh. One of my letter writers decided to disappear off the face of the planet.......

I'm in the same boat; especially bad as it's a PI with whom I obtained a publication. Might affect my NSF GRFP application, but hopefully I'll have another month to track them down before the Dec 1 application deadlines.

Hi.  I go to a small liberal arts school so, even though I have a 4.0, I am worried that admissions committees won't know how to compare it to a 4.0 from top schools.  I took the biochemistry GRE to try to show that I have good science knowledge, but I only got an 83rd percentile.  I am unsure if sending this will help or hurt, so feedback would be great!  If it helps for context, I have 2 yrs independent research experience at my school, a summer fellowship at a top research institute through a national grant, and numerous poster presentations, but no publications except for a poster abstract that was published.  

Thank you so much for your help!

As far as I've read, heard and been told, 80%+ GRE Biochem scores should be good to send! Your grants, poster presentations, with your undergrad GPA should fit in well together for a strong application - make a strong case in your SOP.

Hi.  I go to a small liberal arts school so, even though I have a 4.0, I am worried that admissions committees won't know how to compare it to a 4.0 from top schools.  I took the biochemistry GRE to try to show that I have good science knowledge, but I only got an 83rd percentile.  I am unsure if sending this will help or hurt, so feedback would be great!  If it helps for context, I have 2 yrs independent research experience at my school, a summer fellowship at a top research institute through a national grant, and numerous poster presentations, but no publications except for a poster abstract that was published.  

Well my PI doesn't actually have an appointment in the grad school, just the medical school (although he only does research now and most people are surprised to find he never opted for a grad school appointment), so we don't have any students in our lab. He has suggested that it is easy to get an apportionment and that he could do so if I ended up staying. I haven't heard of anyone direct admitting though, not sure if that's possible where I am (or I guess it might be, but no one talks about it?). I know a lot of professors here and my PI has talked me up with one of the grad school deans, but no one has said anything about me getting in automatically, so I'm still expecting all aspects of my application (like low GPA/GRE) to factor into whether I get in or not. If only someone would offer me a spot without having to go through the stress/anxiety of the application process :) 

It shouldn't be an issue for you. Some schools allow you to direct admit into a PI's lab. If you can't do that I would still apply to your home institution. Talk with the grad admissions for the program you want to join and explain to them that you would like to join your PI's lab. You most likely will have to rotate through other labs though. I know one grad student who had to do the whole process (apply/interview/get accepted/rotate through min 3 labs then join the PI's lab) because there was no direct admit. Since you wont automatically be accepted the adcom will still have to consider you, but they would be fools to say know considering your research track record and the fact that your PI will be paying for you. I suggest contacting the admissions coordinator for the program your interested in. If you don't mind staying at your current institution!

Undergrad Institution: UT Austin 
Major(s):  Biomedical Engineering
Minor(s):None
GPA in Major: 3.80
Overall GPA: 3.84
Position in Class: Top 30%
Type of Student: Female

Q: 165
V: 156
W: NA

Research Experience: 

2 years at Brent Iverson George Georgiou Laboratory in Chemical Engineering - Learned things like: PCR, molecular cloning, competent cell prep, protein purification, primer design, protein structure analysis, PyMOL ,Geneious software, DNA sequencing, ELISA prep, Gibson Cloning, miniprepping, genomic library constructions 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Biomedical Engineering Honor Society,  Undergraduate Research Fellowship, 3 scholarships, Dean's Honor List. Engineering Scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chemistry Tutor for a professor at UT Austin, Mathnasium Tutoring Center, Myriad RBM testing and receiving serum and blood samples

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Attended and presented at 4 undergraduate research symposiums at UT Austin, presented at the Gulf Coast Undergraduate Research Symposium 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent LORs from widely known professors (one is my PI, one is a research scientist in our lab, 2 are other BME professors that I did well in their classes for), Applying to NSF fellowship as well 

Applying to Where:

-       Rice University  - Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Program

-       University of Washington – Bioengineering Program

-       University of California at San Diego -Bioengineering 

-       Stanford University – Bioengineering

-       MIT - Bioengineering 

-       University of Texas at Austin – Biomedical Engineering and Chemical Engineering

-       Georgia Tech – Bioengineering  

-       University of Chicago – Bioengineering

-       Northwestern University 

Can someone tell me what my chances are in getting into these schools? I feel like my GPA is quite low and may not be as competitive. Should I retake the GRE? 

Thanks,

Ahlam 

I was almost exactly in your shoes last year (GPA of 3.6, though). I find that top schools tend to inflate student's GPAs. For example, an A at my undergrad institution is 93+/100, while at my grad institution (top school in Canada), an A/A+ is 85+/100. It seems that the work is comparable, though (though I'm only comparing a basic stats class at my grad institution to hand-writing 2-way ANOVAs at my undergrad institution) so it does not seem like it's any harder to get these grades. 

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA comparison. Research experience/fit with the program and lab are going to be more important. GPA is just a number that adcomms can use as cut off points (for the most part).

I was almost exactly in your shoes last year (GPA of 3.6, though). I find that top schools tend to inflate student's GPAs. For example, an A at my undergrad institution is 93+/100, while at my grad institution (top school in Canada), an A/A+ is 85+/100. It seems that the work is comparable, though (though I'm only comparing a basic stats class at my grad institution to hand-writing 2-way ANOVAs at my undergrad institution) so it does not seem like it's any harder to get these grades. 

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA comparison. Research experience/fit with the program and lab are going to be more important. GPA is just a number that adcomms can use as cut off points (for the most part).

Thanks.  Do you think it is still worth sending the subject GRE score?  I am not sure if it will help or hurt as many schools highly recommend it, but my score isn't great.  And forgot to mention earlier, my general GRE scores were V169, Q165, AW 4.5.

Thanks again for your help everyone.  One of the bad things about a small liberal arts school is there aren't many people I can talk about this with and ask questions.

Thanks.  Do you think it is still worth sending the subject GRE score?  I am not sure if it will help or hurt as many schools highly recommend it, but my score isn't great.  And forgot to mention earlier, my general GRE scores were V169, Q165, AW 4.5.

Thanks again for your help everyone.  One of the bad things about a small liberal arts school is there aren't many people I can talk about this with and ask questions.

My understanding is the same as what Microburritology said above... your subject GRE score is considered really good! I know someone who got a 75th% on the biochem subject GRE and (with an admittedly very solid application overall) got into several very competitive programs. Your general + subject GRE scores will only help your application (not to mention that a 4.0 GPA is respectable whether it came from an Ivy or a small college). If you look back on other people's profiles in this thread and the one from last year, you'll find many people applying from small liberal arts colleges (I am one of those people). 

Undergrad Institution:  small lib arts school
Major(s): Biology (BS), Chemistry (BA), History (BA)
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: domestic, male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 80th percentile
V: 92nd percentile
W: 75th percentile

Research Experience: 1 summer at large state school lab through my schools collaborative research program doing plant pathology, 1 summer NSF REU at large state school doing genetics research, doing chemistry research at my school during this academic year

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarships from all three departments I’m majoring in, dean’s list a few times, presented at regional and national conference, departmental honors (biology)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic Chemistry TA, Cell Biology TA, Part-time Research Tech at large state school working in plant pathology

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: won a best in session award at regional conference,

Special Bonus Points: Two well-known geneticist LORs (a good few hundred pubs between the two)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

UW-Madison (REU was here)

University of TX – Austin

UM – Ann Arbor

Boston University

NYU

University of Chicago

Duke

Yale

Rockefeller University

UM-College Park

Northwestern

Kind of curious what people think of my chances at these schools. Not really sure if I should aim differently or not.

Undergrad Institution:  small lib arts school
Major(s): Biology (BS), Chemistry (BA), History (BA)
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: domestic, male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 80th percentile
V: 92nd percentile
W: 75th percentile

Research Experience: 1 summer at large state school lab through my schools collaborative research program doing plant pathology, 1 summer NSF REU at large state school doing genetics research, doing chemistry research at my school during this academic year

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarships from all three departments I’m majoring in, dean’s list a few times, presented at regional and national conference, departmental honors (biology)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic Chemistry TA, Cell Biology TA, Part-time Research Tech at large state school working in plant pathology

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: won a best in session award at regional conference,

Special Bonus Points: Two well-known geneticist LORs (a good few hundred pubs between the two)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

UW-Madison (REU was here)

University of TX – Austin

UM – Ann Arbor

Boston University

NYU

University of Chicago

Duke

Yale

Rockefeller University

UM-College Park

Northwestern

Kind of curious what people think of my chances at these schools. Not really sure if I should aim differently or not.

How much research experience would you say you have overall? (In months) 
Also, who's recommending you? 

Alright, I'll chime in, though I'm still finalizing my final list. I'm another non-traditional low GPA/tons of research/slightly older applicant, and I have a Masters. 

Undergrad Institution: Mid-rank private
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.1
Overall GPA: 3.0
Grad GPA: 3.7
Type of Student: Female, domestic.

GRE Scores (revised Version):
Q: 159
V: 165
W: Waiting for score
B: ain't nobody got time for that 

Research Experience: Two years at a Harvard Med School lab, lymphoma research, 2nd author pub in a high-impact journal. At my undergrad, one year in a zebrafish lab, one semester doing cell signaling/insect growth and development with an undergrad research grant and poster. For my masters, thesis project on autophagy in drug-resistant breast cancers. The past two years I've been in industry doing target validation (essentially 90% basic science) for the oncology division of a small startup pharma. At this point I work on my own project, largely independently (designing, executing, analyzing experiments without any supervision) and am responsible for presenting all my data for the group. Overall, about 7 years of research, 4 or 5 of which have been doing independent work rather than work for someone else. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I made dean's list two whole semesters in undergrad! no, I won't be bragging about this in my application. 

Special Bonus Points: I have a teeny-tiny edge at one of the schools on my list due to some connections/collaborations, but I'm not convinced this will actually matter. My LORs should be very good.

Applying to Where:
This is where it gets tricky. I have no idea how low/high to aim, given my Meh grades (my GRE Q score also leaves a bit to be desired). My focus is mainly on cancer biology and stress & metabolic signaling. 

Current Definitely List:
Albert Einstein 
Cornell - BCMB
Scripps - Cell Biology
University of Colorado Denver - Cancer Biology
UPenn - CAMB

Maybes, how much money do I feel like throwing away next month?
Columbia - Pathobiology & Molecular Medicine 

Stanford - Cancer Biology. LOL, probably a waste. And I don't love Palo Alto anyway.
Berkeley - Molecular and Cell Bio. My boss really wants me to apply. We'll see.
Hopkins - Cellular and Molecular Med
Wisconsin - cell bio. I love this school, but I'm not sure I want to live in Wisconsin until I'm 31-33.

Edited by kire01