2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

I have applied in the past to some of those programs with a much lower GPA (3.0) but a higher gre score. (160 and 158). I did not get in. There's many factors in an application. If you think your application is strong enough, then don't retake it. However, I would imagine those numbers are below an institution like Duke's average. If I were in my shoes and got those scores, I would retake it. But my profile is different than yours. Also it's Champaign not Champagne. They might reject you just for that ;-) good luck! 

Yeah I think I'm gonna retake it. Not just for my application but also because I know I can score better. It's just so expensive though :( . Haha I noticed that right after I posted, I'll make sure to get that right on my application. Thanks!

So I've decided what schools I'm applying to. UIC, UIUC,  Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern DGP, Vanderbilt,  SLU, and Notre Dame. I'm working full time as a researcher (overall 3 years experience) and I've taken some grad school classes where I have a 4.0. My undergrad GPA was a 3.02, which is my biggest drawback.  My gre is V: 160 Q: 158 and W: 4.0. Do you guys think I should retake the gre based on the schools I'm applying to and a quick glance at my profile? 

Any input on my stats would def. be appreciated hahaha :lol:

Undergrad Institution: Big 10 School
Major(s): Double Majoring in Cell Biology and Genetics
Minor(s): Anthropology, Biotechnology 
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.96
Position in Class: Top 
Type of Student: Domestic Minority (Hispanic) 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 159 (75%)
V: 155 (67%)

W: 4 (56%)
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

6 semesters of research (3 in a pharmacology lab and 3 in cell biology)

6 semester of involvement in HHMI-sponsored research project (SEA-PHAGES). 2 of these were spent as a student (project is actually presented as a research-oriented course) and 4 have been spent peer mentoring. 

5th Annual SEA-PHAGES National Symposium Speaker and Poster Presenter 

Summer internship (SHURP) at Harvard Medical School (BBS) 

Summer internship (SUIP) at the University of Pennsylvania 

Oral Presentation (2X) at Leadership Alliance National Symposium (LANS)

Coauthor in research paper published in eLife on HHMI Phage project 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Recipient of multiple competitive (and merit) scholarships at home institution. Recipient of 2 4-year "external" scholarships.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Peer mentor for HHMI funded project for 4 semesters. 

Member of selective undergraduate advisory group for the school of biological sciences at home institution. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

I've taken several grad classes at home institution, made connections while doing my internships, and one of my recommenders is famous. I'm also Hispanic and gay, if that helps hahaha 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Don't know (?) 

Applying to Where:

Harvard University- BBS - Cancer Biology
University of Pennsylvania - CAMB -Cancer Biology 
Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine - Comparative Biomedical Sciences - Once again, cancer biology. 

Edited by Bioenchilada

I think that if you've taken Calc I/II and Calc III/Diff EQ possibly with quantum mechanics/thermo (Physical chemistry), no one will look twice at your quantitative score.  You're not applying for computational, chemistry, or engineering programs, so I don't think they will care.  Although I completely understand the freak out, because I recently took the GRE and totally did not get above 90th percentile in quantitative (but killed the verbal) and proceeded to wonder if I should retake.  I was looking at the dates on your profile; did you take a gap year or an extra year to finish school?  If so, did you do anything in that time that underlined your desire for grad school?  (SoP material if you did.)  I wouldn't include the class-based research unless it shaped your thinking and then only if you did anything related afterward.  I would, however, highlight your graduate coursework.  I personally have taken 10 grad courses while in undergrad and each one of them shaped my thinking and scientific brain.  It's something that made me sure I was ready for graduate school and it's what I wanted... if it's the same for you, tell them in your SoP.

I would say that your school list is long.  Almost too long, simply because are you really going to write that many personal statements, making each one tailored in some way to that program?  Could you cut it down to 8?  You'll get in to at least one.  But I would say that make sure you want to go to every school on that list.  When you apply to the top schools, sometimes it's just luck and you don't want to get yourself stuck.  The only reason I say that is because the locations/feels of all these schools are incredibly different.  That's important, because you've got to live there for 4-6 years!

All in all, you're in good shape.  Really, incredibly good shape.

If anyone has critiques over my profile (1st page), please feel free to share!  I welcome any and all criticisms, especially since this application process is nerve wracking.

Haha, that's going to look so awkward. I took the honors calculus series and did well, probably A-/B+ across them, but I retroactively had the grades removed because I was 1) sick at the time and my diagnosis came later and 2) I didn't need the grades nor the credits. I did do the physics series and Orgo, so hopefully I'll be alright, haha. 

I did 5 years as I transferred schools (also part of the credit problem). Pretty sure my SOP will be about my two main experiences, and the fit for graduate school. 

The list of schools is long, but within that list I have my reaches, and then ones that I think should be safer. I'd be willing to go to any of them because I specifically picked locations I could live in and thrive. 

Thanks for the confidence boost, home girl :)

As for your stats: 

Undergrad Institution: Iowa State University
Major(s):  Biochemistry
Minor(s):  Microbiology; Genetics
GPA in Major:  3.91
Overall GPA:  3.74
Position in Class: Unknown (top 25%???)
Type of Student: Domestic, white female

----

You appear to be super competitive, considering that you already completed two very prestigious summer programs, and have posters and publications to boot. All of those scholarships are indicative of your writing prowess, and I believe admissions committees will probably weigh that heavily as they can imagine you being able to snag some fellowships as well. The graduate classes are definitely going to be in your favor as that shows you are comfortable with graduate level material. Basically, I don't see any glaring problems standing out.

It's great that you have very strong rec letter writers. Though, I'd bet their letters are more strong if you apply into a similar field or program. If you go into something else, then their prestige might not matter as much. I can see we have a similar list of schools; I can see your letters being tailored to each institution so that definitely gives you a leg up. Wishing you the best!

Q: 159 (75%)
V: 155 (67%)

W: 4 (56%)
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

6 semesters of research (3 in a pharmacology lab and 3 in cell biology)

6 semester of involvement in HHMI-sponsored research project (SEA-PHAGES). 2 of these were spent as a student (project is actually presented as a research-oriented course) and 4 have been spent peer mentoring. 

5th Annual SEA-PHAGES National Symposium Speaker and Poster Presenter 

Summer internship (SHURP) at Harvard Medical School (BBS) 

Summer internship (SUIP) at the University of Pennsylvania 

Oral Presentation (2X) at Leadership Alliance National Symposium (LANS)

Coauthor in research paper published in eLife on HHMI Phage project 

Recipient of multiple competitive (and merit) scholarships at home institution. Recipient of 2 4-year "external" scholarships.

Peer mentor for HHMI funded project for 4 semesters. 

Member of selective undergraduate advisory group for the school of biological sciences at home institution. 

Special Bonus Points: 

I've taken several grad classes at home institution, made connections while doing my internships, and one of my recommenders is famous. I'm also Hispanic and gay, if that helps hahaha 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Don't know (?) 

Applying to Where:

Harvard University- BBS - Cancer Biology
University of Pennsylvania - CAMB -Cancer Biology 
Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine - Comparative Biomedical Sciences - Once again, cancer biology. 

The only thing that sticks out to me is your GRE scores. I feel like they don't mesh with your GPA and your accomplishments, especially your writing and verbal scores. I'm sure overall it won't matter, but I would imagine those scores would be below the average for an institution like Harvard. No actual idea though. 

Quick question: I have a GPA of 3.45 in biology from a state school and want to know if taking the BIO or BIOCHEM subject tests are worthwhile. Can stellar scores offset my GPA? Obviously other components of my application will play a major role, but I was just wondering what I could do post-grad to improve my chances of getting my application through the initial triage. Thanks for your input in advance!

@MKRC - since you are a bit on the lower side, the subject GRE may help (if you can afford it). I would take the BIO over the BIOCHEM (it's the easier of the two). Also the rule of thumb I've heard is that if you can achieve 75th+ percentile then send the score. You'll need to make your decision soon since the subject exams are only offered 3 times a year (April, Sept, October). 

Also if you don't plan on applying this season, the only thing you can do is gain more research experience (i.e. research tech, masters, entry-level scientist in industry, etc)

Undergrad Institution: Big State School –average ranking
Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.57
Position in Class: not sure   
Type of Student: Domestic

Q: 161 (80%)
V: 158 (79%)
W: 4.0 (56%)

Research Experience: Undergraduate research internship (3 months) in a lab. Worked w/ rats examining gut microbiome with 16s genomic study (involved in rat care, necropsies, genetic isolation and processing for next gen sequencing). Helped analyze and process 16s data.  Mass spec and Gas chromatography experience (6 months) in two separate labs with work contributing to two papers. Total of 3-5 papers (not sure if some will be published by time of application. Coauthor on 3 papers and contributing author on 2 papers (may not get publushed).  

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 3rd place in Undergraduate Research Symposium for Public Health

Poster presentation at the ASM

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor job experience (3 months)

Special Bonus Points: PI who I worked for internship will write glowing LoR (did post doc at UC Davis). Another LoR will be department head of Nutrition and did a lot of work for him.

Applying to Where:

University of Michigan- Microbiol

University of Colorado Denver - Microbiology

University of California Davis Microbiology

University of OhioMicrobiology

University of CincinnatiMicrobiology

Two Questions I have for anyone that may have an answer.

This is my second BS (my first BS was in Interdisciplinary Engineering , but low had a low GPA of 2.63 L at a different state school )

1.    Will this previous major GPA factor into my overall GPA, or does only my GPA on my current Microbiology degree count?

2.    Is my chance of getting into a PhD good/average/poor?

The only thing that sticks out to me is your GRE scores. I feel like they don't mesh with your GPA and your accomplishments, especially your writing and verbal scores. I'm sure overall it won't matter, but I would imagine those scores would be below the average for an institution like Harvard. No actual idea though. 

Yeah, I'm not a very good standardised test taker in general hahaha

So, I don't really know if it's worth retaking the test. :/ 

Also, wouldn't having a rec letter from someone at Harvard make my chances of getting in higher?

Edited by Bioenchilada

Also, wouldn't having a rec letter from someone at Harvard make my chances of getting in higher?

Depends on how much clout your PI and how well the adcom knows the PI. 

Two Questions I have for anyone that may have an answer.

This is my second BS (my first BS was in Interdisciplinary Engineering , but low had a low GPA of 2.63 L at a different state school )

1.    Will this previous major GPA factor into my overall GPA, or does only my GPA on my current Microbiology degree count?

2.    Is my chance of getting into a PhD good/average/poor?

Well, your GPA and GRE looks pretty similar to what mine did, but you have publications and I didn't. So, I'm inclined to say you're in a good position. Top programs will be tough, and you'll want to have good LORs and a good SOP. But, your stats are perfectly reasonable.

I believe that the GPA from both degrees counts, as graduate schools generally want to see your entire academic record. Your most recent BS will count for more and I doubt that any admission committee will do more than glance at the fact you previously did an engineering degree (if your engineering GPA was a little higher it would be a point in your favor).

Undergrad Institution: small liberal arts school for bachelor's & top ten research school for MPH
Major(s): biology undergraduate & epidemiology graduate
GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.7

Q: 163
V: 165
W: 4.5

Research Experience: I started doing research during my senior year of undergrad (I wasn't considering a career in science until my junior year) and wrote a thesis and a poster for an international research conference with the data I gathered. I went straight from my bachelor's to my master's (in my second year of master's now) and I have been doing research at my graduate institution for the past year. No publications yet, but I have my own project.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Lots of awards & scholarships for sports/service/academics at undergrad institution; applied for and got a summer research grant this past year

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: ~2 years lab work, ~4 years of tutoring/teaching work, completed several public health internships (one was abroad)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: President of several student organizations in undergrad, varsity college athlete, marathon runner, involved in graduate student government

Applying to Where (all for molecular biology/genetics programs):

Emory

Duke

Penn

North Carolina

Michigan

University of Washington

Oregon Health & Science

University of Chicago

Colorado - Boulder

Wisconsin

Are there any other places you would suggest? How competitive do you think I am for these programs?

Undergrad Institution: University of California campus (Research institution)
Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.67
Overall GPA: 3.66
Position in Class: Top 20% (?)
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: Scheduled for September
V:
W:
B:

Research Experience:

2 years Environmental Microbiology lab at my school.  2 second-author publications.

1 summer research internship in Entomology lab at my school.

2 years (by the time I graduate) Chemical and Environmental Engineering lab at my school.  1 second-author publication to be submitted soon, will be writing a first-author publication by the end of the academic year.  1 poster presentation at an undergraduate research conference, with 1-3 presentations planned for this academic year.  Received fellowship from undergraduate institution to perform faculty-mentored research in this lab and will be writing an Honors thesis.

UC Regents Scholarship

Honors student

Several scholarships from within school

A couple of smaller outside scholarships

Dean's Honors List for most quarters

Board Member of my campus chapter of American Society for Microbiology for all 4 years

Volunteer in organization focused on cultivating interest in STEM fields for disadvantaged children

Applying to Where:

All are Biomedical Science umbrella programs (planning on indicating interest in microbiology-related fields)

UCI

UCLA

UCD (?)

USC

Stanford (huge reach)

Yale

UNC Chapel Hill

Might add a couple more, hoping I'm competitive for some of these schools.  Looking into programs that focus on host-pathogen interactions.

Edited by themadmicrobiologist

I just found out the other day I was accepted to the University of Michigan's Program in Biomedical Sciences Preview Weekend in October (all expense paid!). Do any current grad students have advice on the types of questions I should ask, what to watch out for to see if the school is a good fit, ect.? Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: small liberal arts school for bachelor's & top ten research school for MPH
Major(s): biology undergraduate & epidemiology graduate
GPA in Major: 3.8
Overall GPA: 3.7

Q: 163
V: 165
W: 4.5

Are there any other places you would suggest? How competitive do you think I am for these programs?

I don't know what field you're interested in, but you will have a competitive application at any program. I'd say apply to any school that interests you. You're probably going to have a fun interview season =)

Just wondering whether I should retake my GRE to boost my chances of at least getting an interview from these programmes; and am I aiming too high, if I am, what programmes/universities should I consider instead? My interests lie in the field of biology of ageing/gene expression. And, my profile is pathetic in comparison to any of those that have been posted! 

Undergrad Institution: Russell Group University, UK
Major(s): Biological Sciences (Concentration: Cell Biology)
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: First Class Honours (predicted); 3.84 (while exchange at an US institution)
Position in Class: Top 10-15%
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores: (just took it, seriously wondering if I should retake it)
Q: 162 
V: 156
W: not known yet
B: will be taking this soon 

Research Experience: 

1) 2.5 months research in cell biology through a prestigious summer internship programme (yielded a co-author paper)

2) 2 semesters of term-time research in a molecular/cellular neuroscience lab in Hopkins

3) 3 months research in an ageing/Alzheimer's disease lab in Singapore 

4) will be working on a project related to ageing/RNA in the coming academic year (Master's project)

Under a national scholarship that covers my tuition fees and living expenses 

Volunteered as science presented in public science events; gave a poster presentation at the end of the aforementioned internship; wrote a scientific paper presenting the results of the term-time research I did 

One co-authored publication 

Special Bonus Points: 
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where: (not finalised)

Brown: Pathology (Aging pathway)

Cornell/Weill Cornell: MCB

Princeton: @Biology

Edited by Jyouie

Well, your GPA and GRE looks pretty similar to what mine did, but you have publications and I didn't. So, I'm inclined to say you're in a good position. Top programs will be tough, and you'll want to have good LORs and a good SOP. But, your stats are perfectly reasonable.

I believe that the GPA from both degrees counts, as graduate schools generally want to see your entire academic record. Your most recent BS will count for more and I doubt that any admission committee will do more than glance at the fact you previously did an engineering degree (if your engineering GPA was a little higher it would be a point in your favor).

Thanks for your input Vene. It is good to know that I have a fighting chance, I'm just hoping that my previous degree's GPA doesn't haunt me .....

So I've decided what schools I'm applying to. UIC, UIUC,  Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern DGP, Vanderbilt,  SLU, and Notre Dame. I'm working full time as a researcher (overall 3 years experience) and I've taken some grad school classes where I have a 4.0. My undergrad GPA was a 3.02, which is my biggest drawback.  My gre is V: 160 Q: 158 and W: 4.0. Do you guys think I should retake the gre based on the schools I'm applying to and a quick glance at my profile? 

I had virtually identical stats, I did not get into vandy or uiuc but we may be looking at different programs. Be sure to highlight your time as a tech in your SOP, because that is more experience than the vast majority of other applicants will have. Also be prepared to answer questions about your gpa. 

I had virtually identical stats, I did not get into vandy or uiuc but we may be looking at different programs. Be sure to highlight your time as a tech in your SOP, because that is more experience than the vast majority of other applicants will have. Also be prepared to answer questions about your gpa. 

Thank you. I was hoping someone would reply. Would you tthink getting 162s would make any difference? I honestly don't know if I have enough time to take it. I work full time and take 2 grad classes. Did you end up getting in somewhere? This is my 3rd time applying. 

Hey everyone - hope your apps are going well! I had a general question about the research experience adcoms are looking for. 

I think I have a decent amount of research experience (you can see my stats in an earlier post) but I don't have any fellowships, pubs, oral or poster presentations, etc. to show for it. My undergrad research isn't as strong or impressive as those that got to lead their own projects and I mostly helped out with small projects in the lab. I am working full time as a researcher in a lab right now and getting strong experience, but I was wondering how my sub par undergraduate experience will affect me in the application process? I do have undergrad research projects I can talk about, but they were never completely just mine. 

Hey everyone - hope your apps are going well! I had a general question about the research experience adcoms are looking for. 

I think I have a decent amount of research experience (you can see my stats in an earlier post) but I don't have any fellowships, pubs, oral or poster presentations, etc. to show for it. My undergrad research isn't as strong or impressive as those that got to lead their own projects and I mostly helped out with small projects in the lab. I am working full time as a researcher in a lab right now and getting strong experience, but I was wondering how my sub par undergraduate experience will affect me in the application process? I do have undergrad research projects I can talk about, but they were never completely just mine. 

That would hurt you as most people have stayed in research for some time, but if you can describe your ability to actually do individual scientific thought during the interview, it might be salvageable. Full time researcher as in like NIH or lab tech? You would need to show independence in your projects. 

That would hurt you as most people have stayed in research for some time, but if you can describe your ability to actually do individual scientific thought during the interview, it might be salvageable. Full time researcher as in like NIH or lab tech? You would need to show independence in your projects. 

Thanks for the advice adi. When you say "stayed in research for some time" do you mean people that have worked on a single project for a long period of time or just simply been in the research field? 

Full time "research associate" at UCSF right now. I'm basically treated as a grad student where I'm designing my own experiments and analyzing data, but ultimately consulting with the postdoc I work with. 

Edited by Ferroportin
accidentally deleted part of post

Thanks for the advice adi. When you say "stayed in research for some time" do you mean people that have worked on a single project for a long period of time or just simply been in the research field? 

Full time "research associate" at UCSF right now. I'm basically treated as a grad student where I'm designing my own experiments and analyzing data, but ultimately consulting with the postdoc I work with. 

Both in terms of time in the field and on one project (as you cannot be fully immersed in one summer for example, IMO), but judging that you are treated as a grad student right now, I think it should be fine. The most important thing is seeing one set of experiments from the beginning to the end, i.e. hypothesis, experiment, troubleshooting and the ultimate conclusion you can derive from the data. This requires time and independence which is what constitutes my "stayed in research for some time". Sorry for not elaborating.

Less than stellar stats to even out the field here! Anyone think I stand a chance... even with the poor GRE?

Undergrad Institution: Medium State School, good biochem/chem reputation
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.35 (3.8 for last 100 credits. Freshman year was unproductive to say the least)
Position in Class: no clue
Type of Student: domestic male

Q: 154 (56%) arghhhh
V: 157 (76%)
W: not sure but probably fine

B: maybe?

Really not sure how I did so badly, despite actually studying and doing significantly better on practice quant sections. I think I just got freaked out... I seriously suck at standardized tests. Will be retaking, I guess.

Research Experience: 

1) One year (will be 2 by grad) of molecular biology research into ubiquitin-proteasome pathways and glutamate receptor trafficking in C. elegans (2 poster presentations including one at a international symposium, wrote and was awarded a small internal grant). Will be completing an honors thesis by graduation. 

2) One summer in an environmental analytical chem lab developing a protocol to detect taste and odor compounds in drinking water. 

3) Not research, but I am a lab tech.. I teach people to use a scanning electron microscope I also operate GCMS and LCMS. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honor Roll here and there, will be graduating with honors and doing a thesis.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Have tutored organic chemistry, lab tech position, volunteer within the university to promote student body health

Special Bonus Points: I think my PI will write me a great letter as I have worked very closely with her this past year. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

U of Washington - Biochemistry

UCSD - Biology

OHSU - PMCB

CU Boulder - MCDB

University of Michigan - PiBs

Northwestern - iBis

UC Irvine - CMB

Oregon State Univ - Biochemistry

UNC -BBSP

Will probably tack one or two more onto this list

Less than stellar stats to even out the field here! Anyone think I stand a chance... even with the poor GRE?

We are applying to some similar schools; I am also applying to OHSU - PMCB, UC Irvine - CMB, and U of Washington and CU Boulder (but for different programs). 

While your GPA isn't stellar, it's not really half bad either. It looks like you're going to be finishing undergrad strong with a good, positive trend for your upper-division classes. I wouldn't worry about it too much (but you will). If you so desire you could briefly address it in your SoP or have a professor juxtapose your overall performance against your freshman year.

Your GRE scores are a little on the low side, but I'm sure you can improve upon them with just a little bit of work (I didn't do too well on it either). Some of the programs have a combined Q/V score cutoff in the 31_ range; I think it is in your best interest to retake it so you don't get weeded out prior to getting your application reviewed.

You do have research experience which will help bolster your application; however it is all about how you can play your past research experience into your future research directions at the specific schools. If you can do that, I think it will help offset any other deficiencies you feel you may have.

Overall I think you're a fairly competitive applicant if you put in the legwork on the GRE and SoP; all of your prospective schools are solid programs with a fair amount of competition so work hard! Good luck!