2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

3 hours ago, cliu said:

Does anyone know how much late LORs can affect your application? I've gotten some interviews (UCSD, UCLA, UW Seattle, Caltech), but it's kinda distressing that people are hearing from Harvard BBS (and I haven't yet). I was wondering if it's possible that they didn't consider my application because one of my recommender's letters is marked as being received 12/2/15 (past the 12/1/15 deadline). Is this something I could email them to ask about? Or should I just continue waiting until I'm officially rejected?

I think this should not stress you out! If it was received then it should have had no problem! Just continue waiting!

7 hours ago, cliu said:

Does anyone know how much late LORs can affect your application? I've gotten some interviews (UCSD, UCLA, UW Seattle, Caltech), but it's kinda distressing that people are hearing from Harvard BBS (and I haven't yet). I was wondering if it's possible that they didn't consider my application because one of my recommender's letters is marked as being received 12/2/15 (past the 12/1/15 deadline). Is this something I could email them to ask about? Or should I just continue waiting until I'm officially rejected?

The impact it would have would depend on the school but there is no information that is worth contacting the school about.  If you got rejected because of that what good is it to know that is why?  The LOR could have just as much pertinence as you being on the west coast.  Presumably since all your interviews are on the west coast that is where you reside.  It is expensive to fly people out from california to boston.  Also they may have seen your other school lists and though, well this person doesn't really want to leave the west coast so is it worth using a spot to bring them in when all the other schools they are interested in are on the other side of the country.

Whatever it is, let it go and relax.  You have 4 interviews to worry about that aren't Harvard.

6 hours ago, peachypie said:

The impact it would have would depend on the school but there is no information that is worth contacting the school about.  If you got rejected because of that what good is it to know that is why?  The LOR could have just as much pertinence as you being on the west coast.  Presumably since all your interviews are on the west coast that is where you reside.  It is expensive to fly people out from california to boston.  Also they may have seen your other school lists and though, well this person doesn't really want to leave the west coast so is it worth using a spot to bring them in when all the other schools they are interested in are on the other side of the country.

Whatever it is, let it go and relax.  You have 4 interviews to worry about that aren't Harvard.

I'm gonna stop you on your third to last sentence because schools definitely do not weigh that as much against people as you're making it out to be. Harvard, especially, has the money to fly people out and cares about quality for their incoming class - not where else you're applying to. 

Also, the cost to fly to Boston from California can literally be cheaper than flying someone from NYC to Boston. 

But, yes, I also haven't gotten an interview from Harvard BBS, but I'm quite content with the other 8 that I have thus far. @cliu while you can hold out for that Harvard one, just concentrate on your actual interview invites as well, if not more. 

40 minutes ago, Infinito said:

I'm gonna stop you on your third to last sentence because schools definitely do not weigh that as much against people as you're making it out to be. Harvard, especially, has the money to fly people out and cares about quality for their incoming class - not where else you're applying to. 

Also, the cost to fly to Boston from California can literally be cheaper than flying someone from NYC to Boston. 

But, yes, I also haven't gotten an interview from Harvard BBS, but I'm quite content with the other 8 that I have thus far. @cliu while you can hold out for that Harvard one, just concentrate on your actual interview invites as well, if not more. 

Is it even possible to get an interview invite after they sent them on the 18th? I don't know if BBS sends them by waves, but I thought someone said earlier that Harvard had sent all of their invites already.

For those that can attend the Weill Cornell interview on Jan 20th and have filled out the form - have you heard back with regard to travel arrangements?

2 hours ago, Purkinje said:

Hey everyone! Two questions: has anyone heard back from Yale neuroscience?

also, is picking the second weekend for an interview disadvantageous? Like, will programs fill slots during the first weekend and be less likely to extend an interview to second weekend interviewees?

thanks in advance for any input :)

Depends on the school.  All of the schools I interviewed at that had multiple weekends sent out acceptances between interview weekends.  In those cases it is obviously better to be in the earlier weekends.  If you can make it that is great, but if you have a conflict but can make the second one, I don't think it is going to drastically change your situation.  If you were a strong candidate going in, you'll be a strong candidate going to the second weekend too. 

4 hours ago, Infinito said:

You can believe what you like.  I do know that some schools will not extend invites or acceptances to people that are strong candidates to go to a top tier school (i.e. Harvard level).  They do pay attention to who is flying in and who is local or nearby for budget reasons.  Most applications ask you where else you are applying, this is done to get an idea of the type of student you are and your interests and also to understand their competition.  They know who they are working against or where their school may rank for you.  When you go on interviews you'll get asked that question a lot because it says a lot about you.  If you are someone who listed 7 west coast schools and harvard the gut reaction is you'd want to be on the west coast but you also would go for a reach/dream at harvard.  Trust me the schools you applied to and are interviewing at tell you a lot about a candidate.  take it as you will, but when cuts need to be made why extend an offer to someone you aren't sure is that likely to take it when you only have so many spots.

30 minutes ago, peachypie said:

You can believe what you like.  I do know that some schools will not extend invites or acceptances to people that are strong candidates to go to a top tier school (i.e. Harvard level).  They do pay attention to who is flying in and who is local or nearby for budget reasons.  Most applications ask you where else you are applying, this is done to get an idea of the type of student you are and your interests and also to understand their competition.  They know who they are working against or where their school may rank for you.  When you go on interviews you'll get asked that question a lot because it says a lot about you.  If you are someone who listed 7 west coast schools and harvard the gut reaction is you'd want to be on the west coast but you also would go for a reach/dream at harvard.  Trust me the schools you applied to and are interviewing at tell you a lot about a candidate.  take it as you will, but when cuts need to be made why extend an offer to someone you aren't sure is that likely to take it when you only have so many spots.

Do you have advice on how to address that question in interviews?  Thanks!

Just now, biosci said:

Do you have advice on how to address that question in interviews?  Thanks!

I mean I always stated where else I was interviewing.  You'll get it from faculty and from grad students, it is more out of curiosity from a grad students prospective.  Many faculty use it as a way to see who they have to compete with as a program and if there is a shining star in there then they'll know you may be harder to "win over".  But be honest.  No one didn't say where else they were or had interviewed at, it is not as loaded of a question as people make it out to be.

15 minutes ago, peachypie said:

I mean I always stated where else I was interviewing.  You'll get it from faculty and from grad students, it is more out of curiosity from a grad students prospective.  Many faculty use it as a way to see who they have to compete with as a program and if there is a shining star in there then they'll know you may be harder to "win over".  But be honest.  No one didn't say where else they were or had interviewed at, it is not as loaded of a question as people make it out to be.

Thanks.  I wasn't planning on lying or anything, I just don't want them to interpret it the wrong way or anything

16 hours ago, Purkinje said:

For those that can attend the Weill Cornell interview on Jan 20th and have filled out the form - have you heard back with regard to travel arrangements?

I have not heard back yet... hopefully they'll contact us this coming week

8 minutes ago, Ash04 said:

Hi Guys, so I have a Skype interview this coming Wednesday. Can anyone share their experiences, please? Also how long does a typical interview last?

I haven't ever done a skype interview so it would be dependent on how the school sets it up.  Typical one on one faculty interviews are 30-45 minutes long and you have about 5 or 6 of those throughout the day.  Obviously you aren't going to hit that as a skype interviewer.  My guess is you  may have a panel of faculty or people on adcomm there and they may all jointly talk to you.  I'd guess 45-60 minutes maybe? 

1 hour ago, peachypie said:

I haven't ever done a skype interview so it would be dependent on how the school sets it up.  Typical one on one faculty interviews are 30-45 minutes long and you have about 5 or 6 of those throughout the day.  Obviously you aren't going to hit that as a skype interviewer.  My guess is you  may have a panel of faculty or people on adcomm there and they may all jointly talk to you.  I'd guess 45-60 minutes maybe? 

Thank you!! 

3 hours ago, Ash04 said:

Hi Guys, so I have a Skype interview this coming Wednesday. Can anyone share their experiences, please? Also how long does a typical interview last?

I had a Skype interview earlier this month, but it was more of a screening interview to decide who would be flown in for the actual interview in January. It wasn't very formal; it was mostly the professor telling me about the program. He didn't even ask me about my research, but he did ask me why I chose to apply. I also told him a little about my post-PhD career plans. The whole thing lasted ~40 minutes, but it probably would have gone longer if he didn't have a meeting to attend right after the interview. 

I'm sure you know this already, but be familiar with the program website, curriculum, style of rotations, types of research going on, etc. And write down 2 or more questions, because you will be asked if you have any questions. Going off of that, if a new question arises as the interviewer is speaking, feel free to ask as long as it's relevant to what the person just told you. If your 'interview' will be anything like mine was, it will feel more like a conversation than an interview. I've read the same thing from other people who did Skype interviews with professors. 

Anticipate technical difficulties with the Skype interview. For the first 2-3 minutes, my video wasn't showing up on his end, but he could hear me fine. Do a practice Skype call with a friend or relative to make sure you know the correct settings to choose/buttons to click, and to make sure the other person can see and hear you well. Wear a nice button down shirt, tucked into a nice pair of khakis/slacks (assuming you're a guy; if you're a girl, wear whatever girls wear for an interview). Some people think it's okay to wear jeans/sweats/whatever as bottoms for a Skype interview, but what if you need to stand up to adjust something? Also, looking good from head to toe will make you feel more confident, even if the other person doesn't see what you're wearing below the field of view. 

Good luck!

9 minutes ago, bicsy said:

I had a Skype interview earlier this month, but it was more of a screening interview to decide who would be flown in for the actual interview in January. It wasn't very formal; it was mostly the professor telling me about the program. He didn't even ask me about my research, but he did ask me why I chose to apply. I also told him a little about my post-PhD career plans. The whole thing lasted ~40 minutes, but it probably would have gone longer if he didn't have a meeting to attend right after the interview. 

I'm sure you know this already, but be familiar with the program website, curriculum, style of rotations, types of research going on, etc. And write down 2 or more questions, because you will be asked if you have any questions. Going off of that, if a new question arises as the interviewer is speaking, feel free to ask as long as it's relevant to what the person just told you. If your 'interview' will be anything like mine was, it will feel more like a conversation than an interview. I've read the same thing from other people who did Skype interviews with professors. 

Anticipate technical difficulties with the Skype interview. For the first 2-3 minutes, my video wasn't showing up on his end, but he could hear me fine. Do a practice Skype call with a friend or relative to make sure you know the correct settings to choose/buttons to click, and to make sure the other person can see and hear you well. Wear a nice button down shirt, tucked into a nice pair of khakis/slacks (assuming you're a guy; if you're a girl, wear whatever girls wear for an interview). Some people think it's okay to wear jeans/sweats/whatever as bottoms for a Skype interview, but what if you need to stand up to adjust something? Also, looking good from head to toe will make you feel more confident, even if the other person doesn't see what you're wearing below the field of view. 

Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

On 12/23/2015 at 6:08 PM, biochemgirl67 said:

When I emailed the coordinator, he said all the invites were out and he would send rejections in a couple weeks.  So... Yeah.  Accept NYU.

@biochemgirl67 thanks! I think I've faced this rejection a few days ago, and admittedly had much better sleep haha! 

6 minutes ago, Immunolog said:

@biochemgirl67 thanks! I think I've faced this rejection a few days ago, and admittedly had much better sleep haha! 

Lol yeah.  I just like knowing the truth.  It's made my holidays 100% better.  So I'm glad I can help someone else with my rejection!  :P

I am also an international student and have applied for Pharmacology Phd. Any international who applied to the same track as I did?

I just got one interview invite two weeks ago, but it's not my top choice. I see several people are getting invites(although different program), and I am getting pretty nervous b/c I still haven't heard back from the majority of schools I've applied to...I guess I should just keep waiting and see what happens!

7 hours ago, Edotdl said:

Official MIT BCS interview invite!

Congratulations! I got my invite more than a week ago, so I guess that's reassuring for people still waiting to hear back from such programs, that even they do invites in waves.

6 minutes ago, shadenitro said:

Has anyone heard back from Columbia?

Hey I heard back from columbia (integrated program) last monday. Seems like they've been sending invites out in waves...