2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

14 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

What??? That was my second choice program.  I mean, I'm probably not getting it but still.  :D

Yeah that's what the person on the phone told me. But someone else on this thread has gotten an earlier invite from them already.

19 minutes ago, mythologyking said:

Yeah that's what the person on the phone told me. But someone else on this thread has gotten an earlier invite from them already.

I'm not holding out any hope for Stanford.  It would have been so nice to see it but honestly, like I said before, I'm kinda happy in a sad way.  I know how expensive it is to live out there.  Ugh, now I'm just nervous I won't get any actual offers out of my three interviews.

10 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I'm not holding out any hope for Stanford.  It would have been so nice to see it but honestly, like I said before, I'm kinda happy in a sad way.  I know how expensive it is to live out there.  Ugh, now I'm just nervous I won't get any actual offers out of my three interviews.

Aren't you waiting for two more schools? But the three schools you've gotten interviews from are really great offers!

14 minutes ago, mythologyking said:

Aren't you waiting for two more schools? But the three schools you've gotten interviews from are really great offers!

University of Tennessee and Rockefeller.  But I am not at all confident about either.  Tennessee already started sending out some invites and I didn't get one yet.  I think they feel that I wouldn't actually go there based off the other schools I applied to.  And Rockefeller is just as selective as Harvard, UCSF, and Stanford.

I'm just going to try to do my best on interviews.  And hopefully get one or two offers.  I'm just so jealous of the people who have like six offers :P

Edited by biochemgirl67

On another note, does anyone that is interviewing at Vanderbilt know if we're supposed to confirm travel details with them? Some programs with interview dates in February have been on me about booking flights and forwarding the information to them, but Vanderbilt hasn't and that's coming up next week.

2 hours ago, Earl said:

curious, did you guys ask stanford immunology or stanford microbiology and immunology?? i'm waiting to hear back from stanford immunology.. microbio/immuno was my second choice area.. thanks

I called the immunology home program. She said, "We just starting meeting yesterday and still need time to look over everyone..." Quite a different response from the others. 

2 minutes ago, immuno91 said:

On another note, does anyone that is interviewing at Vanderbilt know if we're supposed to confirm travel details with them? Some programs with interview dates in February have been on me about booking flights and forwarding the information to them, but Vanderbilt hasn't and that's coming up next week.

I'm going to email Dr. bowman on Monday if I haven't heard from her.  She said she would get back to us like a week before the event to let us know who we are going to interview with.  I think by next Monday we should have information at latest.  So excited!!!

4 minutes ago, Immunolog said:

I called the immunology home program. She said, "We just starting meeting yesterday and still need time to look over everyone..." Quite a different response from the others. 

Well I guess that maybe I was in the "hell no" pile. :rolleyes:

OMGGGG I CANT BELIEVE YOU CAN JUST CALL...

have been checking this thread obsessively for weeks, the one time I have lab meeting and forget to check is the time when I could have called Stanford!! Too late now just tried.. (cancer bio).

14 minutes ago, immuno91 said:

9 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I'm going to email Dr. bowman on Monday if I haven't heard from her.  She said she would get back to us like a week before the event to let us know who we are going to interview with.  I think by next Monday we should have information at latest.  So excited!!!

I last talked with Dr. Bowman before Christmas, and she just said I'd be responsible for booking the flight there. Hopefully they'll be in contact with us sometime this week!!! Although I'm not going til the 29th so maybe it'll be a bit longer for me

15 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

OMGGGG I CANT BELIEVE YOU CAN JUST CALL...

have been checking this thread obsessively for weeks, the one time I have lab meeting and forget to check is the time when I could have called Stanford!! Too late now just tried.. (cancer bio).

I called for cancer bio, they're not divulging info via phone. The program coordinator told me to wait till later this week  for an e-mail, if invited.

1 hour ago, biochemgirl67 said:

And just like that she emails!

13 minutes ago, immuno91 said:

And just like that she emails!

My daughter waited a day and a half to select her Vandy interview weekend, and the first weekend was already full. So she's attending the second weekend choice. Out of curiosity, can you share what the general weekend schedule is like?

4 minutes ago, ms_green_genes said:

My daughter waited a day and a half to select her Vandy interview weekend, and the first weekend was already full. So she's attending the second weekend choice. Out of curiosity, can you share what the general weekend schedule is like?

The email was just catching up, reminding people to make sure that they booked their flights and letting everyone know that faculty lists and an interview schedule would be sent on Monday. I'm sure someone will be on hand to let everyone know what's going on then.

8 minutes ago, immuno91 said:

The email was just catching up, reminding people to make sure that they booked their flights and letting everyone know that faculty lists and an interview schedule would be sent on Monday. I'm sure someone will be on hand to let everyone know what's going on then.

Great! Thanks for responding so quickly!

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

I called for cancer bio, they're not divulging info via phone. The program coordinator told me to wait till later this week  for an e-mail, if invited.

Emailed Program coordinator, said they would be out by end of week as well.

(cancer bio, stanford)

Just confirmed my interview date for Weill Cornell PBSB on February 10-12th! Hope to see you all there.

Also got an invitation to Scripps Jupiter campus, however this one conflicts too.

Also any word on TETRAD invites? haven't seen any going out in a while since before the break.

20 hours ago, piglet33 said:

So back in september I ended up visiting 3/4 schools I applied to, getting shown around the department, participate in lab meetings and grad seminars (it was cool). I also ended up chatting with most of the faculty in each department, which kinda felt like a mini-interview. Anyway, I got an interview for one of the schools I visited, asked for a skype one (as the interview date clashes with one of my exams) instead and now I'm interviewing with the PI I've already had 3 skye calls with, spent 3 days with and who has said explicitly that she wants me. I feel like right now this "interview" is just a formality. Eeeeepp somone wants me!!!

Hey just curious what dept did you apply to at USC? I see you have an interview - I can't find anyone else who's applied there and not much comes up on the 'results search' here for USC.

5 hours ago, RaganSmash said:

Alright, I'm really close to contacting UW Immunology once more to ask about my status. The admissions lady told me that all applicants would be notified of the status of their application by the end of December, and I, along with several other Seattle residents, still have not received any kind of word despite a large number of rejections having been sent out. I don't want to be an annoying jackass though. I last contacted them on December 17th. Thoughts?

I was thinking of maybe waiting a little while more. I was definitely considering reaching out to the program as well. Maybe in just a few more days though as I, too, wouldn't like to be annoying (it is only the 2nd business day of 2016). If I don't hear back from UW (perhaps by the end of the week), I do intend on reaching out to solidify my interest in their program and show that I have been keeping tabs on their admission process with great interest.

5 hours ago, RaganSmash said:

Alright, I'm really close to contacting UW Immunology once more to ask about my status. The admissions lady told me that all applicants would be notified of the status of their application by the end of December, and I, along with several other Seattle residents, still have not received any kind of word despite a large number of rejections having been sent out. I don't want to be an annoying jackass though. I last contacted them on December 17th. Thoughts?

I'd say it may be better to just wait it out and operate under the assumption of a rejection.  Admins are really busy during this time and contacting multiple times is unnecessary, you'll hear from them when they tell you.  Nothing more than that.

23 minutes ago, Focus said:

I was thinking of maybe waiting a little while more. I was definitely considering reaching out to the program as well. Maybe in just a few more days though as I, too, wouldn't like to be annoying (it is only the 2nd business day of 2016). If I don't hear back from UW (perhaps by the end of the week), I do intend on reaching out to solidify my interest in their program and show that I have been keeping tabs on their admission process with great interest.

I actually did end up emailing them since she told me directly that everyone would be informed of their status by the end of December (I of course was polite and tread lightly). But I'll let you know what I learn when I hear back. This is one of only two departments I applied to this year so I just really want to know if I've been rejected already.

Edited by RaganSmash

5 hours ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

While everyone is on the topic of calling schools, I responded to interview invites from schools like 2 weeks ago saying I could go (yes I know over Christmas), but haven't heard anything back since responding.  I wasnt worried last week since most offices were closed, but now I am concerned that my email got lost or something.

Should I contact them again to make sure they got my confirmation or should I just not worry about it and give them more time?  What would you guys do?  How long should I wait before sending a followup email?

I just really want to start scheduling travel and all of that so I can stop worrying about interviews and worry about scheduling haha.

I'd follow up with just a check in when to see about travel information.  Whenever I got an invite even when it was super early like in December they always immediately scheduled my travel within a day or two.  One place I needed to get reimbursed but they still wanted us to tell them our travel dates ahead of time so they could organize a pick-up and know what nights for a hotel etc.  Usually it is handled at the time of accepting the interview and not too much later unless they said please let us know by XYZ and we'll schedule travel some time in January or something.