Maximum Age to Enter Graduate School

lelick1234

Hey Folks, 

I might have to delay my applications a couple of years for many issues.  This is not necessarily a bad thing because I plan on plugging away at my research project along the way.  I live pretty close to the Reagan Library.  What do you believe is the cut off in regards to age for someone hoping to enter academia?  I will probably be 34 by the time I apply to graduate school. Is this too old? 

--Leo

I don't think that's too old, I see a large age range in my classes. I once had a PhD student teaching a class (during my undergrad) and he was in his late 30's/early 40s with a wife and 4 kids. He was well-knowledgeable and mature. He also had a lot work experience so he was well-regarded. 

You'll have workk experience as an advantage over the kids entering grad school straight out of undergrad. That work experience will help your perspective, whether it''s a masters or PhD program.  

If youre talking about med school, that's another story...

I finished my undergrad at 52, then went straight to grad school. I know several other 'older' grad students ranging from 45-60, so age should not be a factor.

Like Daredevil said above - the work experience is a definite advantage over the folks entering grad school immediately after finishing their undergrad at a more traditional age. I think the biggest advantage is that you are used to dealing with typical corporate BS, the academic version is different, but a few years work experience enables you to deal with it more easily.

If you're alive you're probably fine.

More seriously I'd suggest remembering your letters of reference are only as good as your faculty feel comfortable writing them. If you know now it'll be awhile before you apply, I'd suggest writing your faculty and telling them of your plans over the next couple of years. That way, they can write a draft or something of a letter now, while the experiences are still fresh, rather than you contacting them out of the blue three years later and scrambling to remember who you were as a student. 

If you're alive you're probably fine.

More seriously I'd suggest remembering your letters of reference are only as good as your faculty feel comfortable writing them. If you know now it'll be awhile before you apply, I'd suggest writing your faculty and telling them of your plans over the next couple of years. That way, they can write a draft or something of a letter now, while the experiences are still fresh, rather than you contacting them out of the blue three years later and scrambling to remember who you were as a student. 

This is a really good suggestion and something to think about since rec letters are so important. Keep them updated, too. Let them know of anything interesting you find in your research so they feel they know you (present tense) rather than knew you (past tense).

An aside: I'm 31 and starting my program this year, and the other new student entering our program is older than I am. So age doesn't have to be a negative factor. 

You'll have workk experience as an advantage over the kids entering grad school straight out of undergrad. That work experience will help your perspective, whether it''s a masters or PhD program.  

Definitely this. I entered my MA at 28 with 12 years or so in the work force and 5 in professional/career positions. I definitely think it made me more adept at navigating work place politics (as avflinsch suggested). Many of the people in my cohort who had never held a job outside history/work-study stuff were disappointed/surprised when they discovered the department could be qutie catty, that there were serious fault lines drawn around seemingly petty disagreements, and that they had to navigate their path through all that. I also think I am more comfortable with the likelihood that I won't get the academic job I hope to after I finish the PhD, and because of that I do work at keeping my resume current (meaning working when I can in jobs similar to my former professional positions) and building the alt-ac section of resume.

This is very very good advice!!! 

---

Also, as much I don't like being the negative one, I think the truth is that age will be a factor in your admission decision. Whether it's fair or not and whether we want to believe it or not, an applicant's age will probably be something that the admission committees will think about (maybe only internally, in their own heads, maybe discussed amongst the group). 

However, I agree that age is not necessarily a negative factor and that there are lots of positives that come with age (as others said above). I don't think any good candidate will be rejected because of their age. But I do think it's naive to think that the admission committees will be "age-blind" in their decision.

Yeah, I have been emailing a few of my professors every once in a while about some of my research interests.  Graduate school for me is something that I have to go slow with given my current circumstances. It is better to be working every day on a 10-year plan than abandoning the dream completely. One should love the preparation just as much as they love the destination.  For example, I hate math and scored horribly on the quantitative section on the GRE because I got demoralized during the exam five years ago. Now, however, I am having fun reviewing pre-Algerbra and geometry at my own pace.  I even downloaded some history of mathematics books to place everything into perspective.  It has made studying for the GRE far less of a panic inducing chore and more of a practice in intellectual development.  Since I have not made graduate school the end all of everything in my life, I can now imagine possibly, through studying for the GRE, becoming much better at quantitative analysis, which would be very helpful in the end for my research.  I also have time to slowly or quickly learn some languages.  There are lots of language resources online and at various libraries.  What is stopping me while working and raising a family picking up at least intermediate reading level of one of the easy romantic languages like French.   Also, taking time off from academia and actually reading books that relate to my projected research project has made me realize how naive I was about historiography as an undergraduate.  I mean, I think finishing one book a month over five years on one topic would already make me well on the way towards expertise.  Just some ideas. 

Students range from 22-28 in my program except for at least one "non-traditional" student.  They do bring in perspectives that may not necessarily be appreciated at first -- only because you've lived through the BS and they haven't (yet).  Graduate school will be what you make of it.

Age does factor quite a bit if you're thinking of becoming a professor when you finish the PhD because the job market is too unstable, faculty would prefer not to have a lot of turnovers (and only God knows whether or not that tenure line will disappear), and the time involved in piecing together your academic career.  Unlike law firms where you can become a partner 5 years or so after you work with the same law firm after you graduate (so let's say 8 years total).  In academia, you'll need 6-8 years of graduate school plus (in best case scenario) 6 years on the tenure track so that's a total of 14ish years.  So you may not be tenured until you're in your 50s.  Professors realize this and are a bit wary if you truly intend to become a professor at a research university.

Nola Ochs scoffs at your thirty-four years, and raises you a ninety-five.

As long as you have the energy and the drive, you're not too old. And 34's actually very par for the course, I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone older than you in your cohort. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎30‎:‎53‎, TMP said:

Students range from 22-28 in my program except for at least one "non-traditional" student.  They do bring in perspectives that may not necessarily be appreciated at first -- only because you've lived through the BS and they haven't (yet).  Graduate school will be what you make of it.

Age does factor quite a bit if you're thinking of becoming a professor when you finish the PhD because the job market is too unstable, faculty would prefer not to have a lot of turnovers (and only God knows whether or not that tenure line will disappear), and the time involved in piecing together your academic career.  Unlike law firms where you can become a partner 5 years or so after you work with the same law firm after you graduate (so let's say 8 years total).  In academia, you'll need 6-8 years of graduate school plus (in best case scenario) 6 years on the tenure track so that's a total of 14ish years.  So you may not be tenured until you're in your 50s.  Professors realize this and are a bit wary if you truly intend to become a professor at a research university.

First, that would be age discrimination. Period. Also, I don't see how the difference of 6 years or so would matter (28 vs. 34 as PhD program entry age); I don't think search committees would care much either. If you were to finish your PhD at 60, then there might be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2015 at 4:25 AM, lelick1234 said:

I will probably be 34 by the time I apply to graduate school. Is this too old? 

I didn't receive my BA until I was 35, and I am getting ready to finish my MA thesis at 37. I think the most challenging aspect has been work'life balance, but that would be an issue no matter what my career was.

Just to give you a little hope OP, there is a lady at my office (I work for a state agency and attend graduate school full time) that did not receive her MSW until she was almost 50. She had 4 children and was married. You've got this! Good luck!

I will say that one of my advisors was ~13 years out of college before she herself started graduate school.

Age itself isn't an issue. As others have mentioned, however, it may behoove you to keep in touch with old professors and make sure they're up-to-date on your plans. If you ask for a letter of recommendation from someone who hasn't heard from you in 5-10 years, it's unlikely they'll remember you well enough to write anything substantial.

Edited by thedig13

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2015 at 10:04 AM, betwixt&between said:

I didn't receive my BA until I was 35, and I am getting ready to finish my MA thesis at 37. I think the most challenging aspect has been work'life balance, but that would be an issue no matter what my career was.

I'm graduating at 32, and I completely understand. Balancing adult life with school is pretty difficult.

I'll be entering programs (hopefully) at 33. I don't necessarily feel like I'm out of element compared to the graduate students around me. I think one of the grad students here is at least in his 40s. Doesn't seem to be much of a issue.

yeah in my graduate classes (I'm an undergrad) I'd say most are 27-31, and two friends of mine who TA are 33 and no one bats an eye. If anything, it can be a positive thing. I'm applying right out of undergrad, and I know a lot of professors have been wary of that for me, they like people to have real world experience.