Vanier 2015-2016

smw123

9 hours ago, Lanie said:

:DI have not heard end of day. I heard earlier. I'm sticking to my 2 days. I might not make it. :)  I really hope they don't give me my ranking if I didn't get it. I'm not sure i want to know either way.

They give you your ranking no matter what- and there is a score broken down into the three areas! Fingers crossed!

Hello!

Long time lurker but first time posting. In fact, I just signed up.

I am thinking of applying for the Vanier next year. I am curious what candidates who got forwarded by their institutions put for their leadership section.

Also, what about research potential? It says in this section that "both the prestige of the Vanier CGS and the stage and nature of the candidate's academic career should be considered." Does this mean if you're a 1st year Phd, they expect you to have fewer publications than a 2nd year and so forth? Or that different research councils have different expectations? (I will be applying to CIHR)

Thanks, and good luck for results tomorrow! I wish everyone the best!

Edited by orange turtle

@orange turtle, what do you mean by "put for their leadership section?" If you mean what sorts of information we included, I focused on demonstrating well-roundedness. I discussed my volunteer and service work, both within and outside of the university. I believe I had approximately five current volunteer and service commitments, as well as four or five previous causes (both in the recent and distant past), to which I referred. I guess I'll find out tomorrow how well I did!

1 hour ago, Imaginary said:

@Lanie, you're in Women's Studies? We should talk! I'm in English Language & Literature, but a lot of my work focuses on women and representations of women; I also just TAed a WS course.

Amazing. I'll send you a message.