2016 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

otherss

5 hours ago, chaparral said:

Has anyone heard from any of these schools/programs? I have an invite to UGA recruitment weekend, which I am super excited about! But I would love to hear from other schools as well :)  

I will be attending the Plant Bio Recruitment Weekend at UGA as well.

On 1/8/2016 at 10:32 AM, chaparral said:

Has anyone heard from any of these schools/programs? I have an invite to UGA recruitment weekend, which I am super excited about! But I would love to hear from other schools as well :)  

I heard from Berkeley IB in late December about the interview weekend on Jan 21st. Still waiting on UCLA, though!

1 hour ago, biokat8 said:

I heard from Berkeley IB in late December about the interview weekend on Jan 21st. Still waiting on UCLA, though!

Thanks, biokat8! I'm guessing I didn't get an interview since I haven't heard... my PI told me about the weekend when I visited his lab in November but I haven't heard anything since. Did you get an "official" departmental invite?

6 hours ago, chaparral said:

Thanks, biokat8! I'm guessing I didn't get an interview since I haven't heard... my PI told me about the weekend when I visited his lab in November but I haven't heard anything since. Did you get an "official" departmental invite?

I received an e-mail from the department with travel details, etc. It seems like the interview invites have all been sent out for that program, but who knows! The whole process seems like such a mystery from the outside! :wacko:

52 minutes ago, biokat8 said:

I received an e-mail from the department with travel details, etc. It seems like the interview invites have all been sent out for that program, but who knows! The whole process seems like such a mystery from the outside! :wacko:

Ahh, well thanks, biokat8! I'm a bit disappointed, but no longer holding my breath, which is a great feeling :) I wish you the best! 

On 1/11/2016 at 11:28 PM, chaparral said:

Ahh, well thanks, biokat8! I'm a bit disappointed, but no longer holding my breath, which is a great feeling :) I wish you the best! 

Thanks @biokat8 for the information, good luck to you next weekend!

@chaparral I also applied and haven't heard anything, so I can finally stop holding my breath as well. Though it does say on their website that if you don't receive an interview invitation, it doesn't mean you're not being considered...perhaps a glimmer of hope.

14 hours ago, Ophiopogon said:

Thanks @biokat8 for the information, good luck to you next weekend!

@chaparral I also applied and haven't heard anything, so I can finally stop holding my breath as well. Though it does say on their website that if you don't receive an interview invitation, it doesn't mean you're not being considered...perhaps a glimmer of hope.

Thanks @Ophiopogon! Where did you see that on the website?

38 minutes ago, chaparral said:

Thanks @Ophiopogon! Where did you see that on the website?

Under the FAQ section of the IB admissions page, question #9: https://ib.berkeley.edu/grad/admissions/faq.php#9

Perhaps since you already visited the lab they don't see a need for you to visit again. Fingers crossed for you! I have not visited in person, only email exchanges with the POI, so my hopes are narrower.

Edited by Ophiopogon

28 minutes ago, Ophiopogon said:

Under the FAQ section of the IB admissions page, question #9: https://ib.berkeley.edu/grad/admissions/faq.php#9

Perhaps since you already visited the lab they don't see a need for you to visit again. Fingers crossed for you! I have not visited in person, only email exchanges with the POI, so my hopes are narrower.

Thank you! It feels good to see the NOT (lack of interview does NOT mean you aren't being considered) is bold and capitalized... ha! but seriously, thanks, and I wish you the best! :)

Hi, I just heard back from umich EEB. I am super excited. In their letter, they says dress is casual. But I was told so many times I need to dress formally. I am a little bit confused.  

4 hours ago, Haiqing said:

Hi, I just heard back from umich EEB. I am super excited. In their letter, they says dress is casual. But I was told so many times I need to dress formally. I am a little bit confused.  

Congrats! Personally I do think that it is always best to dress a little more formally than required. It shows you care and know how to be professional. However, I'm not terribly surprised that an ecology interview might be more casual... When I went to the ESA meeting, no one wore a full-on suit (except a few students), and a few people presented in jeans and/or hiking shoes. Not what I was expecting for a national conference!

Perhaps there is a side to ecologists that always wants to be field-ready... ha! :)

5 minutes ago, chaparral said:

Congrats! Personally I do think that it is always best to dress a little more formally than required. It shows you care and know how to be professional. However, I'm not terribly surprised that an ecology interview might be more casual... When I went to the ESA meeting, no one wore a full-on suit (except a few students), and a few people presented in jeans and/or hiking shoes. Not what I was expecting for a national conference!

Perhaps there is a side to ecologists that always wants to be field-ready... ha! :)

Thank you so much for your information! Haha. I think I will dress formally anyway!

If an invite specifies casual dress, then dressing formally (i.e. a suit) will not impress anyone. Our recruiting event is casual, and when the occasional student wears a suit anyways they stick out, and not in a "Oh they know how to be professional" way. 

Dressing professionally does not automatically mean wearing a suit, especially not in EEB. You can look put together but still casual with a button down and/or sweater, a clean pair of khakis/chinos or even black/dark jeans, and a decent but comfortable pair of shoes or boots (basically anything besides sneakers and hiking boots). 

If you really want to wear a suit, do have it pressed beforehand and try to avoid crinkling it up during travel. Showing up in a wrinkly suit jacket counteracts the professional image you're hoping to create by wearing it.

2 hours ago, Pitangus said:

If an invite specifies casual dress, then dressing formally (i.e. a suit) will not impress anyone. Our recruiting event is casual, and when the occasional student wears a suit anyways they stick out, and not in a "Oh they know how to be professional" way. 

Dressing professionally does not automatically mean wearing a suit, especially not in EEB. You can look put together but still casual with a button down and/or sweater, a clean pair of khakis/chinos or even black/dark jeans, and a decent but comfortable pair of shoes or boots (basically anything besides sneakers and hiking boots). 

If you really want to wear a suit, do have it pressed beforehand and try to avoid crinkling it up during travel. Showing up in a wrinkly suit jacket counteracts the professional image you're hoping to create by wearing it.

Thank you so much.  I will carefully think about it. I always wear jeans and hoodies... Probably I will wear a button down shirt with sweater and a pair of khakis..

Chaparral I am in the same position as you! I applied to the IB department at Berkeley however I also had a three hour visit at the school in early October. This wait is too nerve racking! I'm considering emailing and asking but I'm too scared. Does anyone have any advice?

Applied to: UCB, BU, UW

3 hours ago, nightwisp said:

Chaparral I am in the same position as you! I applied to the IB department at Berkeley however I also had a three hour visit at the school in early October. This wait is too nerve racking! I'm considering emailing and asking but I'm too scared. Does anyone have any advice?

Applied to: UCB, BU, UW

yeah, I'm not sure there's much to be gained from calling... I think at this point I'm definitely not going to be officially interviewed (what biokat8 said is consistent with the timeline my POI gave me). If they're still interested they will keep me in consideration I guess. 

***pure speculation*** I bet the people they officially invited are the ones they want to admit, but some of those people will turn them down, and then the department will think about admitting other people. It's pretty $$$ to fly people out, so they probably want to start with the applicants they're most interested in. Perhaps we will hear more after the interview dates on the 21?

Best wishes to you!!! :)

3 hours ago, chaparral said:

yeah, I'm not sure there's much to be gained from calling... I think at this point I'm definitely not going to be officially interviewed (what biokat8 said is consistent with the timeline my POI gave me). If they're still interested they will keep me in consideration I guess. 

***pure speculation*** I bet the people they officially invited are the ones they want to admit, but some of those people will turn them down, and then the department will think about admitting other people. It's pretty $$$ to fly people out, so they probably want to start with the applicants they're most interested in. Perhaps we will hear more after the interview dates on the 21?

Best wishes to you!!! :)

My Best wishes to you as well! My fingers are crossed but I'm prepared for the worst. I believe there might be a second round of interviews in february, but I'm not sure if its a continuation of already invited candidates or a new wave. Try to stay positive! We will get into a good program eventually. :)

The people who heard from UIUC (PEEC or the Animal Biology Program), can you please post on this forum if the POI contacted you with the interview letter or did the admissions committee send a formal invite? 

Edited by EEB2016

On 2016/1/13 at 0:31 AM, Haiqing said:

Congrats! Are you domestic or international? I haven't received any email from the umich EEB but my POI told me today that they are making final decisions on inviting to interviews so he wanted to skype with me as soon as possible. btw I'm an international student.

On 1/20/2016 at 2:54 AM, chantalchao said:

Congrats! Are you domestic or international? I haven't received any email from the umich EEB but my POI told me today that they are making final decisions on inviting to interviews so he wanted to skype with me as soon as possible. btw I'm an international student.

I am an international student. But I am in US. So I will attend the on campus interview.

On 2016/1/21 at 6:19 AM, Haiqing said:

I am an international student. But I am in US. So I will attend the on campus interview.

That's cool! Good luck!

I wish I could afford the international flight ticket to Ann Arbor. I would be glad if you could share with your experience during the recruitment weekend :) if my skype/phone interview is after that. I haven't heard from the graduate coordinator about my arrangement for the interview, though.

Whoa. How many interviews are you guys doing per visit? I just got one of my schedules and I'm set up for 12 in one day...plus another over Skype with a faculty member who will be away during my recruitment visit.