Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

1 minute ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Just received my waitlist letter from Uoft

Oh wow. That's good news, there's still a chance for you. I'm going to check my mail now :S also in toronto. 

28 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

HEY!! I am in the exact same position! Was waitlisted and now am entering part time BSW!! Glad to meet someone like me :) Are you done your perquisites?

Hey CalendarGirl, (and kv32),

I am in a similar position to you both.  I applied to a few MSW programs and at this point I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in.  (Womp womp).  I did however get into the Renison BSW program.  I've made my peace with where I'm at and am looking forward to how I can best put together an application for next year, or possibly the year after.  The good thing from going through this process once and listening to others is I now have some idea of where my application's strengths and weaknesses are.  I bet both of you are in a similar position and now have the time (and the university resources from your BSW program) to ameliorate. I'm going to be trying my darndest to build up more research experience.  My hours are not bad (but are largely volunteer) however that will get better with practicum opportunities.

I'm excited to meet two classmates for next year :) I'm doing the full time BSW and am hoping to carry on with at least one of my volunteer commitments so I think next year will be very hectic for me but I am looking forward to it.  Are you going to the same placement fair on the 25th?  As soon as my exams are finished in a few days I'm going to start figuring out what I can do to prepare for that.  I'd love to talk to you guys more about everything involved in the BSW and get a game plan ready for the next period of our lives :)

Cheers,

FrogMirror 

8 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Oh wow. That's good news, there's still a chance for you. I'm going to check my mail now :S also in toronto. 

I suppose. I know they don't release this information but I am really curious to know how many people in total do they have on the waitlist. The letter is dated Apr 4 so you will definitely receive by the end of today, if not tomorrow. Hope you receive even better news :)

Edited by Applicant#1000

On 4/5/2016 at 4:28 PM, AnnInTO said:

Hi Colieg,

I've applied for the MSW for Working Professionals program in Peel Region!  It isn't mentioned much on here, so I'm so glad I've found someone who may potentially be attending the program.  I still haven't heard back yet; I think I have another three weeks to go.  I keep wondering the same thing about Windsor - I don't think that they have an online portal like the other universities do, unless you were a previous Windsor student.  I got the impression that we'd be notified of our admission decisions by postal mail but I could be wrong.  Best of luck to you!!

I am not a windsor students but I log into myUWindsor and logon with the account details i got from when I sent my application in and its under applications. 

5 minutes ago, Applicant#1000 said:

I suppose. I know they don't release this information but I am really curious to know how many people in total do they have on the waitlist. The letter is dated Apr 4 so you will definitely receive by the end of today, if not tomorrow. Hope you receive even better news :)

I got the letter. I was waitlist as well. 

edit: nothing changed on my ROSI or SGS

Edited by phd2msw

1 minute ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Congrats!! There is hope :)

Thanks. I haven't submitted the mark for my research methods course yet (should be done within a month). I think this might influence my chances. I could be wrong though. 

13 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Thanks. I haven't submitted the mark for my research methods course yet (should be done within a month). I think this might influence my chances. I could be wrong though. 

Yes that definitely can better your chances!

Edited by Applicant#1000

Seeing that people have received letters from UofT makes me want to go home to check the mail. Really hoping I made the wait list since I haven't been accepted yet. Do they tell you how many people are on the list or where you are on the list?

Edited by notafortuneteller
Spelling error

2 minutes ago, notafortuneteller said:

Seeing that people have recieved letters from UofT makes me want to go home to check the mail. Really hoping I made the wait list since I haven't been accepted yet. Do they tell you how many people are on the list or where you are on the list?

They say the wait list isn't ranked and that as people reject their offers they look at all applications collectively, and will contact you by mail/telephone. We have until May 10th to let them know if we wish to remain on the waitlist. 

4 minutes ago, rachberks said:

So to me it seems like a lot of people were placed on the waitlist. Or maybe we're all keeners on here? hahaha! 

Someone earlier on this thread said that U of T's waitlist is typically very large.  Though I'm sure everyone on this sub is a keener too :P 

1 minute ago, rachberks said:

They say the wait list isn't ranked and that as people reject their offers they look at all applications collectively, and will contact you by mail/telephone. We have until May 10th to let them know if we wish to remain on the waitlist. 

Okay, thanks! 

7 minutes ago, sosocialworker said:

UofT has a really big waitlist. As long as you meet the basic criteria and your references and statement are good, people will end up on it.

Now I wonder how many people end up coming off of it :P thanks for the reply!