Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

12 hours ago, MSW-UofT said:

22 minutes ago, orangaglad said:

just received my rejection from Lakehead HBSW and the wait continues for York and Windsor

Shit! Did they email this out? Did you reply to Orillia campus or Thunderbay?

I'm sorry to hear this. I am also still waiting on York as well as Lakehead. 

Just now, Sarah Erwin said:

Shit! Did they email this out? Did you reply to Orillia campus or Thunderbay?

I'm sorry to hear this. I am also still waiting on York as well as Lakehead. 

Hi , I just checked my lakehead applicant account and it said refused - quota :  Due to enrollment limitations, it was not possible to offer you admission into this program. I'm really hoping to hear back soon just so I can focus on what's next instead of just waiting in limbo

40 minutes ago, Sarah Erwin said:

Yeah I hear you there :( Im sorry:( THe wait is killing me as well.

Did you apply to both campuses for Lakehead?

I only applied to Orillia. (closer to home)

Wait listed for Lakehead's HBSW at Thunder Bay , nothing from orillia as of now . Just received a email from Sonya as I'm writing this saying that all decisions have been made and we will hear back within the next couple of days . Official letters sent home in the next 10 days . Good luck all !! ??

Hi guys, this was my first admissions cycle and it is a real eye-opener how competitive social work programs are!! Congrats to all those who got in and good luck to those still waiting :)

I was rejected from Laurier and am still waiting to hear from York and U of T for the 2-yr programs, although I think my chances are very bleak at this point. I am making plans for next year already, and I think a good option for me would be to look into a post-degree BSW. I anticipate I will have about 500 hours of volunteer experience directly working with vulnerable groups at that time (would try to accumulate more but I work a demanding full-time job in an unrelated field), am doing a research methods course online right now and hoping to get an A/ A+ in that, and have a 3.79 average in the last year of my 4-year undergrad business degree from U of T. I have an interest in mental health as it pertains to newcomer/ refugee groups, although I also have experience and an interest in long-term care.

My question is, does it seem like I have decent credentials to get into the Lakehead HBSW program (and can I apply to both Thunderbay and Orilia to increase my chances?) What are the stats of getting into those programs? I am also looking into the 2-year post-degree BSW at York, does anyone have any thoughts around that program and what it looks for in its candidates? Is there any one area of my application that I can work on over the next 7-8 months? I am also reaching out to the admissions offices of these schools, but everyone on this group has been so supportive and insightful I would love to get some feedback from you all as well. 

I am really determined to make it into social work no matter how many tries it takes me! :) Thank you in advance!! 

3 minutes ago, SamSat said:

Hi guys, this was my first admissions cycle and it is a real eye-opener how competitive social work programs are!! Congrats to all those who got in and good luck to those still waiting :)

I was rejected from Laurier and am still waiting to hear from York and U of T for the 2-yr programs, although I think my chances are very bleak at this point. I am making plans for next year already, and I think a good option for me would be to look into a post-degree BSW. I anticipate I will have about 500 hours of volunteer experience directly working with vulnerable groups at that time (would try to accumulate more but I work a demanding full-time job in an unrelated field), am doing a research methods course online right now and hoping to get an A/ A+ in that, and have a 3.79 average in the last year of my 4-year undergrad business degree from U of T. I have an interest in mental health as it pertains to newcomer/ refugee groups, although I also have experience and an interest in long-term care.

My question is, does it seem like I have decent credentials to get into the Lakehead HBSW program (and can I apply to both Thunderbay and Orilia to increase my chances?) What are the stats of getting into those programs? I am also looking into the 2-year post-degree BSW at York, does anyone have any thoughts around that program and what it looks for in its candidates? Is there any one area of my application that I can work on over the next 7-8 months? I am also reaching out to the admissions offices of these schools, but everyone on this group has been so supportive and insightful I would love to get some feedback from you all as well. 

I am really determined to make it into social work no matter how many tries it takes me! :) Thank you in advance!! 

Hey, I am very much in the same position as you. This year I applied for U of T and York's 2 year MSW, York's Post-Degree BSW and Carleton's BSW, to maximze my chances of getting into something. I thought I had a decent application and chance of getting into at least York's MSW but after checking out this forum for the past few months, I realise I am way under-qualified!

On Monday, my York Myfile account updated to show I was accepted into the Post-Degree BSW. I imagine if they invited me to the BSW they won't be accepting me into the MSW which is disappointing but completely understandable given the qualifications of everyone else here! As far as what they are looking for, I can tell you a bit about my application for the BSW. York is very much focused on anti-oppression and the like, so I tried to tailor my application to this. I focused on how I wanted to combine my undergrad degree in International Development with a social work degree, to work with Canada's immigrant and refugee population. I spoke a lot about the time I spent volunteering in Latin America post-graduation and I think my application might have been positively received as well because I focused on what I don't know, and what their program would teach me. Because I learned after my undergrad that although I know a lot, I still have a lot to learn, and York's program can help me get to where I want to go.

My advice would be to focus on getting unique volunteer and/or work experiences over the next several months so that your application will stand out from the rest!

Hey,

I've been on here many times but never posted.

I applied to Lakehead HBSW back in 2010 when I was graduating from my BA. I applied to both campuses but was only accepted at Orillia. I decided not to go as I had an opportunity to move to the Northwest Territories for work. I emailed Sonya a few weeks after hearing I got in to Orillia to ask for feedback on my application. I highly recommend anyone who didn't get in do this. She gave me a super detailed breakdown of my application and how I scored and where I could improve my application in the future. I think a big thing is experience. I know it is super hard to get experience when working full time but try and think outside of the box. 

I spoke with an admissions officer at UVIC in the fall and she told me about a few students accepted in to the MSW without any "social work" experience. They had both worked at summer camps and were able to justify how this experience had helped prepare them for social work. Think into your work history and see if there are any experiencea that you have that you can explain how they relate to social work. I worked on and off as a lifeguard and swim instructor for years and put this on my application when I first applied.

Perhaps take a couple social work classes online over the next year and reapply again next year.

Good luck!

14 hours ago, karlyrk said:

hi - good luck to all waiting to hear back from schools! 

i'm here to ask for others opinions on a decision i had to make... while waiting to hear back from schools i was offered a 1yr contract in a counselling position. i have a lot of experience working with children and families but none doing direct clinical work with children and families so i was pretty eager to gain some skills/knowledge/experience in this specific field. i'm also 22 and not even a year out of my undergrad. so, i made the decision to commit to this position and have decided to re-apply next year to all of the schools i applied to this year. shortly after making this decision i found out i was accepted at my 1st choice school. i declined the offer and am planning on re-applying for next fall.

does declining an offer of admission to a particular school influence my future applications? sometimes i have nightmares that i won't be accepted next fall cause they will be like HA you should have accepted your offer when you had the chance

You probably should have deferred the offer instead. Then you wouldn't have needed to apply again. I don't know if it would impact your chances of getting in but I would probably explain why you declined the offer in your statement for next year. 

14 minutes ago, patience_is_a_virtue said:

For people who have been waitlisted for the 2-year MSW at UofT, has your SGS updated? if yes, what has it updated to? 

I received my waitlist letter yesterday, and my SGS just changed to "decision made" today. 

Hey everyone, 

Long-time lurker here. I also got wait-listed for the MSW program at UofT. It's the only school that I applied to. I don't really understand the point of keeping a massive wait-list. Maybe 50 would be reasonable, but beyond that, it would be ridiculous. It's not like a hundred of the successful applicants might get abducted by aliens in the next few months. Why are they not disclosing the exact number of people in the wait-list? And on top of that, they will keep it open until the first week of September. It's ironic how the institution that advocates mental health awareness puts so much stress and anxiety to the poor wait-listed people. 

There will be an information session on Thursday, May 5th. Is anyone interested to come? We might be able to dig in some more information from them in person about how the wait-list really works. 

13 minutes ago, Paarthunax said:

Hey everyone, 

Long-time lurker here. I also got wait-listed for the MSW program at UofT. It's the only school that I applied to. I don't really understand the point of keeping a massive wait-list. Maybe 50 would be reasonable, but beyond that, it would be ridiculous. It's not like a hundred of the successful applicants might get abducted by aliens in the next few months. Why are they not disclosing the exact number of people in the wait-list? And on top of that, they will keep it open until the first week of September. It's ironic how the institution that advocates mental health awareness puts so much stress and anxiety to the poor wait-listed people. 

There will be an information session on Thursday, May 5th. Is anyone interested to come? We might be able to dig in some more information from them in person about how the wait-list really works. 

I would be interested in attending. I'm going to be downtown that day anyways (going to the blue jays game :)). 
I was told by a friend of mine that even though we are told that the waitlist isn't ranked, if you call in and ask, they can tell you about your application. 
I'm thinking of trying this next week. 

Just now, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I would be interested in attending. I'm going to be downtown that day anyways (going to the blue jays game :)). 
I was told by a friend of mine that even though we are told that the waitlist isn't ranked, if you call in and ask, they can tell you about your application. 
I'm thinking of trying this next week. 

Cool. Let us know how it goes next week after you make your call. I'll post here again few days before the info session so we can all meet up and interrogate them. lol

Hello friends. Waitlisted for the 2-Year MSW at U of T. Received word via snail mail today, letter was dated April 4th. I live downtown Toronto, if that helps anyone gauge when they should expect their letter to arrive.

Hi Everyone,

For anyone waiting on UWindsor (I know there aren't many of us here), I just received an email this afternoon stating that I've been accepted into their regular-track MSW for Working Professionals program in Peel Region.  I'm definitely very excited as it's the only school that I applied to.  Best of luck to everyone still waiting! :) 

Received my wait list letter to UofT's 2 year MSW program. It was the only one I applied to, so I'm pretty much hoping for the best at this point.

I've applied to a few jobs (school guidance counsellor, teacher's assistant for differently-abled children, and research assistant with SickKids and Hamilton Health Sciences). Hoping that I get one of these so I don't end up doing nothing for a year. 

Also considering getting certified as an English teacher abroad (2 month online program at UofT OISE). Guess it'd be cool to spend a gap year living in another country teaching!

Best of luck to everyone on the wait list!

I just checked my SGS and it says Decision Made, while ROSI still says No Registration History. Just waiting for my rejection/waitlist letter now. I live in Saskatchewan so it will probably take a while to arrive.

Jeez the waitlist is so long for U of T. Seems like everyone on here who wasn't accepted was waitlisted. That's really wrong on their part. 
False hope isn't a good thing either....

For those who have been waitlisted, are you planning to stay on it?