Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

On 3/29/2016 at 2:29 PM, RRizwan said:

Hi everyone! 

So I just accepted an offer to Laurier and now have to relocate! Any tips on finding graduate school roomie out in Kitchener? (Anyone here looking for one for Sept?) 

On 4/8/2016 at 8:38 PM, MSWHopeful22 said:

Hi!

I applied for the 2 year MSW and I am still waiting too.

i have e-mailed and called the school and received the same information. Essentially, the initial acceptances were sent out, as well as initial rejections. They told me that the initial acceptances have 2 weeks to respond, and once the two weeks hit or someone rejects sooner, that space is then offered to someone else right away. I inquired and they said it is done on an individual basis, so it can trickle in at any time and it won't necessarily be a second "wave" of acceptances. They said it is a process that will take until the end of April/early May, if I remember correctly?

I'm usually a pretty patient person, but I am getting very anxious about all of this. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend, JHC!

I am still waiting too... patience is a virtue, I guess the saying goes. 

On 4/12/2016 at 8:54 PM, NB_MSW2016 said:

Hey Purple-Elephant! 

While it is true that research methods is important, most schools assess your application holistically. So if you didn't do so well in research methods (neither did I and I got into the MSW - I had a B- in research methods and a D+ in second year stats) you can still demonstrate research aptitude in other ways (eg. by volunteering to work for professors as an RA over the summer and attending relevant conferences). You can also apply for undergrad research fellowships - I think that getting one of these would really set your application apart because they allow you to conduct research on a full-time basis AND get paid to do it. I don't know about Renison, but at my school there are two major ones: USSRF and NSERC. You also might get a publication or two by doing these things and you'll get to engage with the research process in a really immersive way. You might even find out that you love it (I hated the research methods class but discovered that I love research - go figure!).

So don't lose hope! You're in a really good position - you've identified an area of weakness in your application and you still have time to compensate for it. Good luck and hope this was helpful in some way!

Those are really great suggestions thank you :) I will look into those ideas. Also, I can tell that you're a social worker with that perfect example of reframing lol! 

Hey guys, I just made a thread for those admitted to Lakehead Universities HBSW. The title is just "Lakehead University HBSW". I figured that I will soon start organizing myself as if I'm going there since it starts in July, if I don't hear back from the other two. It might be nice to throw around some ideas while figuring out living arrangements and other logistics :). For instance, I'm considering commuting from Toronto/subletting and getting a place there for 6 months/ moving out and heading there for the year. Anyone else thinking of commuting from the city?

Meet me there if you might attend! 

Sarah 

2 hours ago, Paarthunax said:

Out of curiosity, how much do you think U of T gives importance to research experience? I didn't do a thesis and I've never worked as an RA. However, I got an A in my research methods course. 

I think it's pretty important. I'm in the exact same boat as you: no fourth year thesis, no research assistant experience, and an A in research methods. That's why I'm pretty sure I was waitlisted instead of accepted.

Just wanted to let those on the U of T wait list for the 2 year program know, those who were accepted were given 4 weeks to respond, so you could see some movement happening soon, I'm guessing. I didn't see anyone else post this information yet. 

2 hours ago, Ach29 said:

Just wanted to let those on the U of T wait list for the 2 year program know, those who were accepted were given 4 weeks to respond, so you could see some movement happening soon, I'm guessing. I didn't see anyone else post this information yet. 

I know a few people got offers on March 30 or 31st, so I think people can probably start to get off the waitlist the first week of May! 

Edited by msw.ang

23 hours ago, msw.ang said:

I definitely wouldn't consider getting waitlisted at UoT a sign that you aren't meant to be a social worker! 2-year MSW programs are VERY competitive.. especially if it's your first time applying or your right out of undergrad. I hear the Lakehead program is great, and then if you apply for a 1year msw after you're not actually losing any time! However, if you're having second thoughts and think advertising is for you.. then maybe you're leaning that way for a reason? Ultimately only you can decide! I think if you apply to college programs they'll probably get back to you before June though. 

ya, I may have gotten a little carried away there :P...I was looking into alternatives in case I didn't even get into lakehead and those seemed soo cool. It didn't take me long after posting to think logically though haha. My plan is to do the BSW, and then if I absolutely hate it for whatever reason, I will apply to advertising. But if I really enjoy it, then I'll apply for the MSW afterwards. And besides, the lakehead app was so expensive and I went through so much stress to get it submitted on time that I might as well reap the rewards of my efforts. So maybe its a good thing I didn't get into the MSW just yet since I'm having second thoughts atm... 

Alsooo,  the good thing about college programs is that they're usually open til late august anyways, and they respond to your application within 2 weeks which is amazing!! So if anyone doesn't hear back from any schools this yr, consider doing a post grad certificate or 1 yr diploma in a related field if u want more experience. A friend of mine did his post grad in addictions counselling and got into u of t 2 yr this past yr!

On 4/11/2016 at 0:07 PM, SaltWaterSea said:

Not much mention of Carleton's 2 year MSW on here. Thoughts/experiences/etc. on the school and program would be greatly appreciated!! I have been accepted there but also at another school and i'm trying to make some decisions. 

Hey!

I jut accepted Carleton's offer - my friend is there finishing the first year of the 2 year MSW. She said it's pretty sociological and not heavy on clinical skills. Not sure if you have a BSW but it sounds like the first year is theory heavy. I like that the program sets the practicums as full time instead of part time along with classes.

11 hours ago, Phogan said:

Hey!

I jut accepted Carleton's offer - my friend is there finishing the first year of the 2 year MSW. She said it's pretty sociological and not heavy on clinical skills. Not sure if you have a BSW but it sounds like the first year is theory heavy. I like that the program sets the practicums as full time instead of part time along with classes.

Awesome, thanks Phogan! I'm doing the 2 yr program so having the first year as a lot of theory is what i'm expecting. That's a great point about the practicums and something for me to consider when comparing the schools. Thank you!

So just a heads up for everyone regarding York's 2 Year MSW - I just spoke to York's graduate admissions office. I was calling them to see whether if I accept my offer to the Post-Degree BSW, if they won't accept me into the MSW because they'll be able to see that I accepted the BSW, and she said it won't have any baring. Anyways, she did say that they have sent out their initial offers of admission and their waitlist offers for the 2 Year MSW program, so she told me to check my Myfile and my e-mail (I didn't tell her I have been checking multiple times a day for the past month, lol). She said they're still going through all the applications and making decisions, but to check Myfile. My Myfile still says 'No Decision Made' so I'm guessing it doesn't look too good for me. I only had 10 days to reject/accept my BSW acceptance, so hopefully it is the same for the MSW and more decisions will be coming soon.

Edited by mswbsw

For anyone waiting to hear from Windsors 2 year program I finally caved and emailed to ask when the process would be finished and they said this, "We are expecting to wrap up the process by the end of April. All students will receive a notice of decision by this time. Thank you." 

I was just reading through my application to Windsor and I noticed that I clicked off months instead of years for the experience section of the application. And the number of hours does not correlate to the amount of months I have listed: 5 months and 7000 hours... I didn't know what else to do because applications have probably been reviewed but I emailed just to ask if there was anything I could do to correct this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I feel like I may be out of luck :( darn. 

17 hours ago, sam94 said:

I was just reading through my application to Windsor and I noticed that I clicked off months instead of years for the experience section of the application. And the number of hours does not correlate to the amount of months I have listed: 5 months and 7000 hours... I didn't know what else to do because applications have probably been reviewed but I emailed just to ask if there was anything I could do to correct this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I feel like I may be out of luck :( darn. 

You could maybe try calling the admissions people there? I think that's likely your best bet. Sorry that that happened though. At this stage there may not be a ton you can do to correct it, if they have already started with their acceptances and rejections :( Maybe they just assumed you mixed up months and years given you also stated in hours!

On 3/16/2016 at 7:38 PM, kirsten107 said:

I'm wondering the same thing! Fingers crossed that it just means they haven't gotten to it yet.. 

You're welcome! Hope to see you there :)

On 2016-04-15 at 11:11 AM, mswbsw said:

So just a heads up for everyone regarding York's 2 Year MSW - I just spoke to York's graduate admissions office. I was calling them to see whether if I accept my offer to the Post-Degree BSW, if they won't accept me into the MSW because they'll be able to see that I accepted the BSW, and she said it won't have any baring. Anyways, she did say that they have sent out their initial offers of admission and their waitlist offers for the 2 Year MSW program, so she told me to check my Myfile and my e-mail (I didn't tell her I have been checking multiple times a day for the past month, lol). She said they're still going through all the applications and making decisions, but to check Myfile. My Myfile still says 'No Decision Made' so I'm guessing it doesn't look too good for me. I only had 10 days to reject/accept my BSW acceptance, so hopefully it is the same for the MSW and more decisions will be coming soon.

York University MSW 2 Year:

I have been frantically looking for information re York's 2 year MSW for the Fall 2016 entrance, so thank you very much for posting this.

On Friday, I got an e-mail saying that I have been placed on the waitlist although in MyFile it still says: "No Decision Yet". The waitlist closes Aug 31, 2016. I called the office today and was told that 400 people applied and only 20 get in. That is a 0.05% chance of getting accepted. In the past 1-2 people have vacated their spot and there was no mention that the 20 have a time limit to respond (I did not ask this question because I had not thought of it).

Since York's MSW 2 year program only accepts 20 people, it is kind of hard for me to be hopeful that someone or some people will vacate their spot especially given what I was told about previous years.

Although I was told I should be proud of my accomplishment, still feels like a rejection. =(

I wonder how many people are on the waitlist and if the original 20 have a time-limit to respond.

Edited by AmaniK

On April 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM, MSWHopeful22 said:

Hi!

I applied for the 2 year MSW and I am still waiting too.

i have e-mailed and called the school and received the same information. Essentially, the initial acceptances were sent out, as well as initial rejections. They told me that the initial acceptances have 2 weeks to respond, and once the two weeks hit or someone rejects sooner, that space is then offered to someone else right away. I inquired and they said it is done on an individual basis, so it can trickle in at any time and it won't necessarily be a second "wave" of acceptances. They said it is a process that will take until the end of April/early May, if I remember correctly?

I'm usually a pretty patient person, but I am getting very anxious about all of this. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend, JHC!

Thank you very much! Best of luck to you too!! Hopefully we'll all be headed there together!

I spoke with them a little before this probably and got a similar answer, and I think someone else said they are hoping to be done by the end of April...ergh, the wait is almost over...fingers crossed for all of us!

On April 13, 2016 at 11:51 PM, PatIs said:

Hi everyone! 

So I just accepted an offer to Laurier and now have to relocate! Any tips on finding graduate school roomie out in Kitchener? (Anyone here looking for one for Sept?) 

Just speaking from experience, Kitchener is a bit dodgy in some areas and although it is marginally cheaper to rent there, if you're looking for an environment that is more student friendly, try Waterloo. Your student card functions as a public transit pass and it's ten minutes up the road. Both the Laurier main campus and UW are there. If you go on a variety of websites that advertise for student housing and/or roommates you can find some great stuff. Look for listings that specify grad students. There are a lot of buildings in Waterloo that are built to capitalize on the density of students there and boast amenities like a bathroom in every room and being pre-furnished, but be careful with those because they're owned by big corporations that don't really care about your interests and can short you when it comes to your deposits. I've heard some horror stories. All in all though, I love living in Waterloo. There are so many amenities, places to eat, and places to hang out.

Edited by dexy77

1 hour ago, dexy77 said:

Just speaking from experience, Kitchener is a bit dodgy in some areas and although it is marginally cheaper to rent there, if you're looking for an environment that is more student friendly, try Waterloo. Your student card functions as a public transit pass and it's ten minutes up the road. Both the Laurier main campus and UW are there. If you go on a variety of websites that advertise for student housing and/or roommates you can find some great stuff. Look for listings that specify grad students. There are a lot of buildings in Waterloo that are built to capitalize on the density of students there and boast amenities like a bathroom in every room and being pre-furnished, but be careful with those because they're owned by big corporations that don't really care about your interests and can short you when it comes to your deposits. I've heard some horror stories. All in all though, I love living in Waterloo. There are so many amenities, places to eat, and places to hang out.

Hi,

Do you know anyone that applied for the MSW 2 year program at York for the Fall 2016 entrance? I am waitlisted and want to know what are my chances of getting in. Thank you.

Anyone else who hasn't heard anything from York? I haven't received e-mail or mail, and my MyFile still says "no decision made." I already accepted Toronto's offer as it was my top choice, but I'm just curious if other people also have heard nothing? 

6 hours ago, msw.ang said:

Anyone else who hasn't heard anything from York? I haven't received e-mail or mail, and my MyFile still says "no decision made." I already accepted Toronto's offer as it was my top choice, but I'm just curious if other people also have heard nothing? 

Hello,

Friday I got an e-mail from York informing me that I am on the waitlist for their 2 Year MSW program and the waitlist closes Aug 31, 2016. MyFile still says "No Decision Yet". When I called yesterday morning, I was told about 400 people applied and only 20 got in, so I should be very proud of my accomplishment. I don't know how many have been waitlisted, so not sure about my chances of getting off of it. My assumption is that it is unlikely.

Someone named "mswbsw" above wrote: "So just a heads up for everyone regarding York's 2 Year MSW - I just spoke to York's graduate admissions office. I was calling them to see whether if I accept my offer to the Post-Degree BSW, if they won't accept me into the MSW because they'll be able to see that I accepted the BSW, and she said it won't have any baring. Anyways, she did say that they have sent out their initial offers of admission and their waitlist offers for the 2 Year MSW program, so she told me to check my Myfile and my e-mail (I didn't tell her I have been checking multiple times a day for the past month, lol). She said they're still going through all the applications and making decisions, but to check Myfile. My Myfile still says 'No Decision Made' so I'm guessing it doesn't look too good for me. I only had 10 days to reject/accept my BSW acceptance, so hopefully it is the same for the MSW and more decisions will be coming soon".

Did you apply for the 1 Year or 2 Year MSW program?

Congrats on your U of T acceptance.