Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

17 hours ago, MelMSW said:

Congrats! I'm also going to Laurier, but I can't find a group on facebook. Did you end up finding any groups to join?

Also, just as a reminder, don't forget to send in your deposit! I almost forgot, which would have been awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, is anyone planning on doing a thesis? Is it even feasible in the time frame? Did anyone/does anyone get CGS funding for social work research? It seems really confusing and I'm not even sure if this is looked at by the department or university as a whole (does each department get a certain amount to give out? Or is it just a mass among the entire university) - asking for next year, I know the deadlines are farrrrrrrrrr past and I'm not on the ball with it (oops...)

I've also asked about a Facebook group but no one has made one yet. 

In terms of a thesis, I am also interested in doing one, but I've heard that it's difficult to get approval through the FSW. Not many professors want to oversee a student taking on a thesis, so try to strengthen your ideas and really show your passion. Hopefully you can do one!

4 hours ago, LP3 said:

I've also asked about a Facebook group but no one has made one yet. 

In terms of a thesis, I am also interested in doing one, but I've heard that it's difficult to get approval through the FSW. Not many professors want to oversee a student taking on a thesis, so try to strengthen your ideas and really show your passion. Hopefully you can do one!

Want to DM me your information (so I can find you on facebook) so I can make a group? Alternatively I can send you mine! If not that's totally okay!

Thank you so much for letting me know! Hopefully we can find someone! 

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM, radiance1313 said:

Hey everyone, i know that many people on this dicussion board, this i there second or third time applying to MSW programs (and congrats too all of you that got in)

I was hoping to seek some support from all of you, and get some advice.

This was my first year applying to a 2 Year MSW program (i currently am completing my undergrad in the field of child and youth care) . I applied to york, where i got rejected  and U Of T where I got waitlisted.

ideally, like many of you it was my dream to obtain my MSW! long story short the reason I want to obtain my MSW is so that I can Work not only with Children but also within the Field of Geriatrics.

Any advice on other programs I should apply to next year, advice on how i should enhance my application?  (as I know many of you this is your second time applying and have more experience, with applications and knowledge of what the process has looked like)

I greatly appreciate you help!!!

Wishing you all the best in your future!

Hey! This was my second time applying. After being rejected from U of T and laurier my first try, I sought better jobs that are more applicable to the field and am now spelling in geriatric research at camh and I think that was a huge help (camh is often hiring for research positions) and spent 2 years working with vulnerable populations as well. I found that really helped my resume. I'd also suggest upgrading some of your courses to bump your GPA. I know U of T looks strongly on your research methods mark. Other than that, id day be really specific in your application when answering their questions and look to see what some of the profs are researching or what they specialize in to make sure you're responses are in line with their interests. 

I'd highly recommend doing a bsw though if you get in touch because you'll have a much easier time getting into the 1 yr bsw afterwards and there are way more schools you can apply to 

Hope this helps

19 hours ago, orangaglad said:

Yay just got waitlisted at Windsor for the 2 year.  Someone decline their offer and make my day lol :) 

Hey, was just wondering how you found out? 

1 minute ago, sam94 said:

Hey, was just wondering how you found out? 

Nvm, just checked my windsor. I was also waitlisted. 

I found out this morning via MyFile that I got accepted into York's 2-year MSW program from the waitlist. It was the BEST news!!!

For those on any waitlist there is hope!

Thank you to all for your help and/or support.

Best of luck!

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to all those accepted this year :)

I am currently in the 2 year MSW @ UofT I just finished my first year.

Please feel free to send me a message if you want to chat about the program, I found this forum immensely helpful when I was applying and I would love to try and help anyone out if I can.

If there is anyone who has applied to St.Thomas and has been wait listed they are making calls to people on the wait list now, I just got a call but turned it down.

Good luck! :)

42 minutes ago, MSW Applicant 2016 said:

It's May 13th. Is there anyone that's been accepted off the waitlist for the 1-year HBSW program at Lakehead U? Or, are we still waiting to hear?

That's the day indicated on the letter. I am waiting as well. 

I received an offer for Lakehead's HBSW off the waitlist on Friday, but I declined it. Hopefully someone else off the waitlist from here gets the email :) 

Hi everyone. 

I know this forum has slowed down but I've been checking in regularly, still ready everyone's questions and responses.

I have a question for anyone attending U of Waterloo. I thought I'd try here before contacting the school.

We are set to be on campus for August and I know we're expected to pay tuition early August to have access to course registration, however, I'm wondering if we'll be expected to pay another term in September for the fall. I'm trying to budget and this is a significant amount to tuck aside if need be.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm totally late to this forum because I didn't apply this application round, but I applied to U of T last year and got wait listed.  I didn't apply this year as I felt I need one more year of experience under my belt to really decide where my interests lie.  For those of you who are struggling to get paid experience in the field (I definitely was after my undergrad, which was a double major in psychology and criminology) I would recommend looking at the Social Service Worker program at college.  A lot of schools have a 10 month accelerated or fast-track program.  I took SSW at Fanshawe and had an amazing placement experience that turned into a job I've been at for a year now.  I've been able to get interviews and jobs at other agencies in the field as well.  It also gives you the opportunity to register as a RSSW (Registered Social Service Worker) with the OCSWSSW which has been a great addition to my resume.

Hi everyone,

I wish I came across this form earlier. I have a few questions and would be grateful if anyone had some answers. Currently I have just finished my BWS at York and have applied for my MSW at York and Ryerson. I have been waitlisted at York and have not gotten any response back from Ryerson. I called that admissions office at Ryerson and was informed that someone could be accepted anytime from April until late August. I was wondering if anyone knows how the admissions process at Ryerson works and what the chances are for getting off the waitlist at York is? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in the forum, but I was a serious lurker throughout March and April waiting for acceptances/rejections/waitlist offers. I was waitlisted at U of T for the two year MSW program and just got a call yesterday morning from Angela with an offer of admission! I just wanted to give you guys a heads up and wish everyone on the waitlist good luck! :) Hopefully this gives you a little bit of hope if you need it, as I was beginning to feel pretty hopeless myself. Also congrats to everyone who has already been accepted! 

5 hours ago, Ed07ti said:

Hey Madikd, 

just wondering if you would be able to share some information pertaining to your education and experience?

it seems that there are alot of qualified individuals trying to get accept. Thanks.

Hi Ed07ti, 

I have a BaH: major in sociology and graduated on the Dean's List/President's List with a cumulative average of 87% (92% in statistics and 91% in research methods).

I volunteered for 3 years with the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization as a mentor within an elementary school, and currently volunteer at a women's shelter, as well as Girls Inc., which runs after-school programs to educate girls on prevalent societal issues including media literacy, healthy relationships, etc. I am also employed as a health administrator at a rehabilitation centre that caters to individuals involved in motor-vehicle accidents requiring psychological assessment and/or treatment. 

Reading through this forum, I think it is evident that my grades were definitely a strength in my application, as relevant experience was not necessarily a strong point. My personal statement was also extremely personal with a strong focus, and I had some truly great references! 

I hope this helps :) Everyone on here has worked so hard and you are right... so many are so qualified and deserving! 

Good luck!