Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

16 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Hello all. I am currently in Renison's full time BSW program. I'm planning to apply to MSW programs this coming year, feel free to tell me to get lost from this forum, but I thought maybe I could benefit from the wisdom you all have gained this year.

A few questions...First, has anyone heard anything about/applied to Western's MSW program? I have never heard anyone talk about it so I'm assuming it isn't great?

Second, is it true that your research methods mark is really important? I only got 72% in that course, back in the second year of my undergrad. Is this grade important for people with their BSW degree who are applying to advanced standing programs? My marks have been great since third year, and all my grades are above 90 so far this year in my BSW. I'm kind of scared seeing people's posts about research methods because I never thought a second year course could have such an impact on my future.

PS if anyone has any Renison BSW questions I'm happy to answer. 

Most schools take a hard-line when it comes to the Stats / Research Methods grades. If it isn't a minimum of 'B', the odds of getting in are dramatically lower. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is definitely something that is a huge caveat for a lot of applications.

3 hours ago, eculic089 said:

Most schools take a hard-line when it comes to the Stats / Research Methods grades. If it isn't a minimum of 'B', the odds of getting in are dramatically lower. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is definitely something that is a huge caveat for a lot of applications.

I appreciate the honesty, it is good to know before applying. Do you (or anyone) have any idea if Laurier focuses a lot of research methods grades? 

2 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

I appreciate the honesty, it is good to know before applying. Do you (or anyone) have any idea if Laurier focuses a lot of research methods grades? 

Hi Purple-Elephant,

I had the same question for Angela Umbrello (U of T 2-yr MSW coordinator) when I applied back in October, as I had a 73 in my research methods course too. She said that the average applicant had a B, and my grade was a B-, and so it would be beneficial to look into doing another research methods course in the social sciences and sending in my official transcript if I get in or wait-listed. I had heard from others about, and Angela also recommended, the Athabasca University online course SOSC 366 (research methods in the social sciences). You have 6 months to complete it and you can do the entire thing online. I am currently about halfway through and I have found it to be about average in terms of courseload and slightly easier than average in terms of difficulty. So far I have a much higher average than I did for my previous research methods course, and I'm hoping it lasts :) I would recommend looking into it! Hope this helps.

On 4/7/2016 at 3:56 AM, msw.ang said:

Does anyone know the differences between Laurier and Toronto's 2-year MSW programs? They both seem to have a clinical focus.. as opposed to York's anti-oppressive social justice framework. Anyone else have any insight on the difference between the two programs?

Hi,

I am curious (and really sorry for the lack of knowledge)... but what does it mean that York's curriculum operates within the anti-oppressive social justice framework? And how is this emphasis different from a clinical focus? Thanks!

3 hours ago, SamSat said:

Hi Purple-Elephant,

I had the same question for Angela Umbrello (U of T 2-yr MSW coordinator) when I applied back in October, as I had a 73 in my research methods course too. She said that the average applicant had a B, and my grade was a B-, and so it would be beneficial to look into doing another research methods course in the social sciences and sending in my official transcript if I get in or wait-listed. I had heard from others about, and Angela also recommended, the Athabasca University online course SOSC 366 (research methods in the social sciences). You have 6 months to complete it and you can do the entire thing online. I am currently about halfway through and I have found it to be about average in terms of courseload and slightly easier than average in terms of difficulty. So far I have a much higher average than I did for my previous research methods course, and I'm hoping it lasts :) I would recommend looking into it! Hope this helps.

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to take the course through Athabasca? 

12 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to take the course through Athabasca? 

I have taken my degree through Athabasca, including SOSC 366. I got an A or A- in that course. I have enjoyed the courses they offer and most of the tutors are very good to work with. I had a massage therapy diploma, so I was able to do the bachelor of professional arts majoring in human services in just over 2 years. The course fees also include your textbooks, which is nice. If you have any questions about Athabasca let me know! 

20 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Honestly I'm not too sure if it's a huge thing for them, I think they're more focused on the practical experience and references.

My undergrad was a major in English with two minors in Psychology and Cultural Anthropology, and then I had a post-grad college certificate in charity management. I got wait listed at Laurier which means i at least met their requirements, and I believe my research methods grade during my undergrad was very mediocre, if I remember correctly it was a 74%. My other grades were pretty decent, CGPA 3.35 for my undergrad (better in my last two years) and 3.7 for my post-grad certificate, but I would think this shows they don't place particular focus on research methods. 

Edited by Sarah Erwin

Not much mention of Carleton's 2 year MSW on here. Thoughts/experiences/etc. on the school and program would be greatly appreciated!! I have been accepted there but also at another school and i'm trying to make some decisions. 

Hey guys,

I heard back from u of Laurier about my application! They basically said it was my experience profile that was lacking as my marks were very high in my last year of study which was an asset. They said I was very close to being competitive just need to strengthen my experience. Anyone who has attended a post degree one year BSW, do you think this will help me with my goals, if I already have a high average. Will it enable me to build my experience? Insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much @SamSat @notafortuneteller and @Sarah Erwin! I will be sure to remember about Athabasca if it comes down to that for me, that is pretty expensive though for retaking one course. I don't really understand why research methods is so important. It is good to hear from someone with experience with Laurier Sarah :) 

On April 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Purple-Elephant said:

Hello all. I am currently in Renison's full time BSW program. I'm planning to apply to MSW programs this coming year, feel free to tell me to get lost from this forum, but I thought maybe I could benefit from the wisdom you all have gained this year.

A few questions...First, has anyone heard anything about/applied to Western's MSW program? I have never heard anyone talk about it so I'm assuming it isn't great?

Second, is it true that your research methods mark is really important? I only got 72% in that course, back in the second year of my undergrad. Is this grade important for people with their BSW degree who are applying to advanced standing programs? My marks have been great since third year, and all my grades are above 90 so far this year in my BSW. I'm kind of scared seeing people's posts about research methods because I never thought a second year course could have such an impact on my future.

PS if anyone has any Renison BSW questions I'm happy to answer. 

Hey Purple-Elephant! 

While it is true that research methods is important, most schools assess your application holistically. So if you didn't do so well in research methods (neither did I and I got into the MSW - I had a B- in research methods and a D+ in second year stats) you can still demonstrate research aptitude in other ways (eg. by volunteering to work for professors as an RA over the summer and attending relevant conferences). You can also apply for undergrad research fellowships - I think that getting one of these would really set your application apart because they allow you to conduct research on a full-time basis AND get paid to do it. I don't know about Renison, but at my school there are two major ones: USSRF and NSERC. You also might get a publication or two by doing these things and you'll get to engage with the research process in a really immersive way. You might even find out that you love it (I hated the research methods class but discovered that I love research - go figure!).

So don't lose hope! You're in a really good position - you've identified an area of weakness in your application and you still have time to compensate for it. Good luck and hope this was helpful in some way!

On 4/10/2016 at 5:54 PM, SamSat said:

Hi,

I am curious (and really sorry for the lack of knowledge)... but what does it mean that York's curriculum operates within the anti-oppressive social justice framework? And how is this emphasis different from a clinical focus? Thanks!

Hello @SamSat! There was a post a couple of weeks ago from someone who's currently in York's 2-year MSW.. I can't seem to find it now but if you read through the thread I'm sure you'll find it, or maybe someone else can link it here for you.. but they basically said it's far from being clinical or mental health-focused... at all, and that it focuses on micro and macro level social policy theory, anti-oppression, LGBT-Q rights, etc. as opposed to focusing on mental health, health, or counselling. This kind of social justice dense program is super important and needs to be offered somewhere, but it wouldn't give me the kind of education I'm looking for. Toronto and Laurier's programs are more focused on clinical and mental health practices.. whereas there may only be one class offered at York for that type of thing. I want to go into mental health, specifically crisis work/depression/suicide/mood disorders/counselling/addiction work, so York is totally not for me, but I know a lot of people who love the anti-oppression, social justice curriculum that York offers.. so it's really a personal decision on what you're interested in and what you want to get out of your msw! 

Edited by msw.ang

10 hours ago, msw.ang said:

Hello @SamSat! There was a post a couple of weeks ago from someone who's currently in York's 2-year MSW.. I can't seem to find it now but if you read through the thread I'm sure you'll find it, or maybe someone else can link it here for you.. but they basically said it's far from being clinical or mental health-focused... at all, and that it focuses on micro and macro level social policy theory, anti-oppression, LGBT-Q rights, etc. as opposed to focusing on mental health, health, or counselling. This kind of social justice dense program is super important and needs to be offered somewhere, but it wouldn't give me the kind of education I'm looking for. Toronto and Laurier's programs are more focused on clinical and mental health practices.. whereas there may only be one class offered at York for that type of thing. I want to go into mental health, specifically crisis work/depression/suicide/mood disorders/counselling/addiction work, so York is totally not for me, but I know a lot of people who love the anti-oppression, social justice curriculum that York offers.. so it's really a personal decision on what you're interested in and what you want to get out of your msw! 

Thank you... that helps a lot :) Will go fishing for the post now!

Does anyone know how York does their admissions? I'm beginning to think they don't do the traditional acceptance and waitlist but just keep accepting after people decline initially? I might call them today, but if anyone has already and can shed some light that would be great :(

35 minutes ago, Sarah Erwin said:

Does anyone know how York does their admissions? I'm beginning to think they don't do the traditional acceptance and waitlist but just keep accepting after people decline initially? I might call them today, but if anyone has already and can shed some light that would be great :(

Email

So i haven't posted much here yet but this is my second time applying to the MSW program (rejected from everywhere my first time- went back and beefed up my resume) and so far this year...

I've been accepted to the MSW program for working professionals at Windsor (PEEL campus), anyone else going there this fall?

I was also wait-listed at U of T and plan to stay on the wait-list as long as possible.

Finally, i was rejected a couple weeks ago from Calgary.

Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back or on a wait-list! I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone :)

so I just got into Lakeheads 1 yr BSW (Orillia campus)...but now I'm torn because I've taken getting waitlisted at u of t as a sign that maybe I'm not meant to work in social services (I've been applying for 2 yrs now and still nothing). And now I'm looking into applying to college programs in advertising because I miss being creative, lol so random I know....If I apply now, I don't know when I would hear back from them and I'm pretty sure lakehead requires a response by early june......ahhh what to do??

12 minutes ago, Sam.E said:

so I just got into Lakeheads 1 yr BSW (Orillia campus)...but now I'm torn because I've taken getting waitlisted at u of t as a sign that maybe I'm not meant to work in social services (I've been applying for 2 yrs now and still nothing). And now I'm looking into applying to college programs in advertising because I miss being creative, lol so random I know....If I apply now, I don't know when I would hear back from them and I'm pretty sure lakehead requires a response by early june......ahhh what to do??

I just got into Lakehead's Orillia program too! U of t is a super competitive school, and I'd say don't give up- I've heard that the Advanced Standing program at U of T and everywhere else is much less competitive than the two year programs, so lakehead might be exactly what you need. And form that one year, you can still be registered as a social worker and find work.

3 hours ago, Sam.E said:

A professor once told me: "normal people don't go into social work.  Normal people don't feel drawn to a life of so much giving." Go with your gut, you're facing this choice and challenge for a reason :).

5 hours ago, Sam.E said:

I definitely wouldn't consider getting waitlisted at UoT a sign that you aren't meant to be a social worker! 2-year MSW programs are VERY competitive.. especially if it's your first time applying or your right out of undergrad. I hear the Lakehead program is great, and then if you apply for a 1year msw after you're not actually losing any time! However, if you're having second thoughts and think advertising is for you.. then maybe you're leaning that way for a reason? Ultimately only you can decide! I think if you apply to college programs they'll probably get back to you before June though. 

Edited by msw.ang