Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

14 hours ago, AmaniK said:

Does this apply to 1 year MSW (40 spots) or the 2 year MSW (20 spots) or both?

& do you know approximately how many are usually on the 2 year MSW waitlist approximately?

One year MSW has 60 spots with 20 of them are part-time. In 2015, approximately  450-500  applied for the two years program. Of course some people declined their offers because they chose other MSW offers. Hard to estimate the exact percentage

On April 13, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Paarthunax said:

Out of curiosity, how much do you think U of T gives importance to research experience? I didn't do a thesis and I've never worked as an RA. However, I got an A in my research methods course. 

On April 13, 2016 at 5:36 PM, rabschaud said:

I think it's pretty important. I'm in the exact same boat as you: no fourth year thesis, no research assistant experience, and an A in research methods. That's why I'm pretty sure I was waitlisted instead of accepted.

Sorry for the late response on this but I haven't been back here in a little while. I have been accepted to U of T's 2-year program with no thesis, no RA experience, and a B+ in Research Methodology. They did say at the information sessions that your Research Methods mark is very important, but I have gotten the impression that if your practical experience, references, and personal statements are strong, this can outweigh some of these other factors for U of T. Each school considers these factors quite differently I believe.

Hope this helps! 

1 hour ago, chelsealion said:

I just declined my offer to Laurier (whelp), so those of you on the wait list, a spot just opened up!

Congrats on your York 2 yr MSW acceptance. I am on the waitlist unfortunately.

I happen to find this program in September simply because I've always wanted to do a Master's, but I was not sure in what. This program is perfectly in line with my experience, passion, and career interests.

After applying I discovered other people's background who applied to this program and other 2 yr MSW and discovered that I only have a fraction of their experience in the field. So in that sense I'm fortunate to have been waitlisted, but it still sucks.

Do you know of any others who also got accepted and/or waitlisted into york's 2 yr MSW? There's not much on this forum about York applications.

Edited by AmaniK

58 minutes ago, AmaniK said:

Congrats on your York 2 yr MSW acceptance. I am on the waitlist unfortunately.

I happen to find this program in September simply because I've always wanted to do a Master's, but I was not sure in what. This program is perfectly in line with my experience, passion, and career interests.

After applying I discovered other people's background who applied to this program and other 2 yr MSW and discovered that I only have a fraction of their experience in the field. So in that sense I'm fortunate to have been waitlisted, but it still sucks.

Do you know of any others who also got accepted and/or waitlisted into york's 2 yr MSW? There's not much on this forum about York applications.

Hey there, I am also on York's 2 yr wait list (and U of T's too actually). Tbh at this point it's really up to luck. Because it's unranked, our profiles wld have to match pretty well w anyone who declined. 

Sometimes it feels better because York is so small (it is an accomplishment!) But their wait list might even be as long as another  20 people :P. Best of luck to both of us!

10 minutes ago, Cooksters said:

Hey there, I am also on York's 2 yr wait list (and U of T's too actually). Tbh at this point it's really up to luck. Because it's unranked, our profiles wld have to match pretty well w anyone who declined. 

Sometimes it feels better because York is so small (it is an accomplishment!) But their wait list might even be as long as another  20 people :P. Best of luck to both of us!

Congrats and good luck to you as well.

I was told by the graduate school of social work when I called that I should be proud because it is an accomplishment considering how many apply and how few get in (less than 0.05% chance).

In hindsight I should not have only applied to York; you are smart for not putting all your eggs in one basket.

1 hour ago, ChristopherMcG said:

officially unsuccessful (rejected) at York, hoping on some U of T wait-list movement!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Did u find this out today?

11 hours ago, mswbsw said:

My status on Myfile changed to "reviewed - unsuccessful" for York's 2 Year MSW today. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those on the waitlist!

Thank you. All the best to you. What is meant for you will be yours.

On April 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Sarah Erwin said:

Just got an offer of admission from Laurier (was on the waitlist). So happy and excited!, it was my first choice! Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

On April 21, 2016 at 8:48 PM, MSW/MEd said:

I was also accepted off the wait list today!

Congratulations!! If you have any questions feel free to pm me!

On 4/20/2016 at 6:58 PM, Sarah Erwin said:

Just got an offer of admission from Laurier (was on the waitlist). So happy and excited!, it was my first choice! Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

congrats girl!!! you're so lucky to hear back so quickly!

8 hours ago, dexy77 said:

Congratulations!! If you have any questions feel free to pm me!

hey, when did you get off of u of t's waitlist last yr??

man its so quiet on here these past 2 weeks....

does anyone who went to lakehead before the MSW know if they give scholarships or bursaries to HBSW students? all of the ones on the website are geared towards high school students.. 

12 hours ago, Sam.E said:

man its so quiet on here these past 2 weeks....

does anyone who went to lakehead before the MSW know if they give scholarships or bursaries to HBSW students? all of the ones on the website are geared towards high school students.. 

I am unable to answer your question, but yes it has been very quiet. Further, some people refuse to respond to DM/PM... I guess they are not willing to help, which is what I thought this forum was for.

I hope someone answers your question.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, AmaniK said:

I am unable to answer your question, but yes it has been very quiet. Further, some people refuse to respond to DM/PM... I guess they are not willing to help, which is what I thought this forum was for.

I hope someone answers your question.

Good luck!

That is not the case. After results, the forum always get quiet. The only bursary Lakehead has is the one for part-time students. They have another on in October area but other than that they don't really have money to be honest.

1 hour ago, MSW-UofT said:

That is not the case. After results, the forum always get quiet. The only bursary Lakehead has is the one for part-time students. They have another on in October area but other than that they don't really have money to be honest.

thanks! they made it seem that they had tons of money to give, but apparently theres only a fall/winter bursary (prob max $1000) :(

for those of you attending Lakehead Orillia, I am making a fb group called Lakehead 1 yr HBSW 2016/2017 (Orillia). Someone message me their email so I can start the group!

On April 25, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Sam.E said:

hey, when did you get off of u of t's waitlist last yr??

Beginning of July I believe. Someone probably didn't clear their acceptance conditions??

On 4/20/2016 at 6:58 PM, Sarah Erwin said:

On 4/21/2016 at 8:48 PM, MSW/MEd said:

I was also accepted off the wait list today!

On 4/21/2016 at 7:36 PM, Sarah Erwin said:

Congrats! Do you know if there's a group running already for those accepted?

Are you attending for sure? Where are you coming from?

Congrats! I'm also going to Laurier, but I can't find a group on facebook. Did you end up finding any groups to join?

Also, just as a reminder, don't forget to send in your deposit! I almost forgot, which would have been awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, is anyone planning on doing a thesis? Is it even feasible in the time frame? Did anyone/does anyone get CGS funding for social work research? It seems really confusing and I'm not even sure if this is looked at by the department or university as a whole (does each department get a certain amount to give out? Or is it just a mass among the entire university) - asking for next year, I know the deadlines are farrrrrrrrrr past and I'm not on the ball with it (oops...)