Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

1 hour ago, ciistai said:

Welcome and good luck!! I know the wait for funding can be awful... I'm also Canadian and went to the UK for an MPhil. I didn't hear about my funding until... late March? It can unfortunately sometimes take a while but I am wishing you the best!!!! UCL is amazing apparently and I am SO jealous of the Classical Studies library at Senate House - I used to brave a two-hour bus ride to London just to use it.

Out of curiosity, what funding did you get - ORS/GRS or something else? 

$$$ and international fees in the UK are the worst.

45 minutes ago, Slagatha said:

Out of curiosity, what funding did you get - ORS/GRS or something else? 

$$$ and international fees in the UK are the worst.

It was a scholarship specific to my university actually! I wasn't in London though

37 minutes ago, ciistai said:

It was a scholarship specific to my university actually! I wasn't in London though

My bad! I misread the 'apparently' part and got over-excited. 

Ugh. So much over-excitement. 

One of the MA programs I applied to just asked for a Skype interview. As I already have the Chapel Hill (PhD) admit, the odds of my accepting their offer seem low, so agreeing to the interview seems like wasting their time. But declining to be interviewed seems so rude and abrupt, not to mention that part of me worries that as soon as I say no to this program I'll (somehow?) irreparably wreck the Chapel Hill situation. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on how to phrase this so that I don't come off sounding like I think I'm too good for their program?

4 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

One of the MA programs I applied to just asked for a Skype interview. As I already have the Chapel Hill (PhD) admit, the odds of my accepting their offer seem low, so agreeing to the interview seems like wasting their time. But declining to be interviewed seems so rude and abrupt, not to mention that part of me worries that as soon as I say no to this program I'll (somehow?) irreparably wreck the Chapel Hill situation. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on how to phrase this so that I don't come off sounding like I think I'm too good for their program?

That's kind of funny and is a tough situation. I have agreed to visit an MA program since I do not yet have a PhD admit but do have three waitlists and an interview. But even that is making me crazy because I feel like I might be wasting everyone's time. So I feel your pain. I think you need to be honest with them, and say you are really grateful for the opportunity and think they have a great program but you were fortunate enough to be accepted to a PhD program early and that is your first choice. You could say you'd be happy to talk to them but you just wanted to be honest...I bet they will be nice. 

59 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

If there's zero chance you'll accept the MA program's offer, then you're right, you don't want to waste their time. You can say that you're honored by the interview request, but that you just received a PhD offer and so would like to withdraw your application (or decline the offer, if it's an actual offer). They would much rather get a courteous email to that effect than spend half an hour talking to somebody who has already decided to decline their offer. 

But if they could conceivably change your mind, then it's perfectly fine to do the interview and see what they have to say. In that case, I wouldn't mention your other offer unless they ask.

1 hour ago, pro Augustis said:

I'm in the same boat and presumably at the same place! I asked my advisor at Penn about this because it felt a little uncomfortable. She told me it's probably best to e-mail and (graciously) decline the interview, especially if you know you won't go to an MA. This way no one's time is wasted (whether yours or theirs) and other applicants will have a better shot. I did the same with Kansas yesterday and they were very understanding. In fact, they sent back a really nice e-mail congratulating me on my acceptance and wishing me the best. 

10 hours ago, pro Augustis said:

I'm going to assume that this is Notre Dame, since a bunch of interviews for them went out yesterday.  I'm in the same boat: PHD offer from Ohio State, but ND wants to interview.  I think I'm actually going ahead with the interview, just because ND is a great school in what I want to do (late antique history).  Getting to know their faculty a bit can only help me in the long run.

I recently found out I've been wait listed for funding. How often do people move off the wait list and get guaranteed funding? I know it varies some, but I'm just curious about if I generally have a chance or not. 

20 hours ago, perpetua una studienda said:

That'd be me again. At least it was a nice personal email.

Oh, thanks for explaining. Sorry it wasn't better news. 

Anyone want to claim the Princeton interview? 

13 hours ago, Jimleko said:

I learned today that I got accepted into Cornell's PHD program, after I thought I had done poorly in the interview.  I guess I was wrong!  So excited!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! :D That's very exciting!

13 hours ago, Jimleko said:

I learned today that I got accepted into Cornell's PHD program, after I thought I had done poorly in the interview.  I guess I was wrong!  So excited!

I know two people there (one in Classics one not) who love it. Congratulations are indeed in order! 

3 minutes ago, LtnLvr said:

Got my Berkeley rejection today. Anyone else in my boat? It is annoying but it does feel good to know. 

Still waiting on my rejection from them. AHMA is taking their sweet time. Were you straight Classics?

1 minute ago, rjyjate said:

Still waiting on my rejection from them. AHMA is taking their sweet time. Were you straight Classics?

Yes, I was! And I wasn't the one who posted on the boards with the rejection. 

1 hour ago, rjyjate said:

Also waiting on AHMA to reject me! :'(