Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

1 hour ago, Agrippina said:

Is anyone else still waiting? I am not a patient person, and it's stressful to wait!

I'm still waiting on a few responses! I know they'll likely be rejections but this is annoying.

Congratulations to all those who have heard good news recently. I have been quiet on here, since I've spent the last few weeks bouncing about the country to see various places and, when in New York, desperately trying to catch up on work. So far it seems that I have been waitlisted in Michigan and accepted at UNC Chapel Hill and UT Austin. Tomorrow I fly to Chapel Hill for the last of these visits, after which I'll have to figure out how to make the choice. I liked the UT program, the students there were all enthusiastic about the place, and Austin comes with the rather sizable bonus that my best friend from college lives there. Chapel Hill, on the other hand, seems better in rankings/placement. As to the Chapel Hill program itself, I should have a better idea of it once I've visited, and I hope that seeing it will make the choice clearer one way or the other.

Has the Duke Classics visit happened yet? I've not been rejected from them yet (though I know I will be) but I thought they would have sent out notifications by now...

Also to whomever posted the acceptance to Oxford MPhil Greek/ Roman History - firstly, congratulations! Secondly - the program doesn't usually fund Master's students, but you may still hear back about college-based funding or any other grants you've applied for (e.g. Clarendon, Ertegun). When I got the Ertegun I was notified on March 26th, quite late.

Edited by ciistai

Hi everyone, hope the waiting game is going OK. Question: do you all think there is a benefit to having one of my professors call a school I am waitlisted at on my behalf? To say that I have other offers and ask about my chances? Or is it better for me to email the school myself to express interest? What are your reasons? 

Did one of your professors volunteer to do this? It seems premature, and I wonder if it could do more harm than good. Perhaps if you haven't heard something by the beginning of April, you could consider it. I am also slightly uncomfortable about having someone else contact a school on your behalf. It seems like something the applicant should be doing for himself. But I do not really know about this. I am simply putting my thoughts out there for you to consider.

41 minutes ago, Agrippina said:

Did one of your professors volunteer to do this? It seems premature, and I wonder if it could do more harm than good. Perhaps if you haven't heard something by the beginning of April, you could consider it. I am also slightly uncomfortable about having someone else contact a school on your behalf. It seems like something the applicant should be doing for himself. But I do not really know about this. I am simply putting my thoughts out there for you to consider.

Thanks. Yes, one of my professors offered but also said I could just write directly. I think I am going to contact the school directly. 

1 hour ago, heliogabalus said:

Well, that's horrific...

Apparently he was in charge of the program. How much jail time will this evil man get? Who is taking his place in the department?

Sad to say this might prove disastrous for Cincy's applications over the next couple of years...

That's a perfectly valid set of research interests, but in context... wow. Like I said, no words for how unfathomable and horrendous this is. I really feel for his students and I hope they're all doing okay. I know he teaches adults but he may have some current or former students who have been victims of people like him in the past. Just terrible.

4 hours ago, Agrippina said:

Apparently he was in charge of the program. How much jail time will this evil man get? Who is taking his place in the department?

well he is definitely fired. and he married to one of their leading classical archaeologists. so who knows what will happen to the department. it seemed like he was on sabbatical this year? so Dr. Lynch has been acting has head of the department. 

What a sickening development... I of course know that Classics is not immune from the evils of the world, but it still shocks me when something so horrible pops up in the academic bubble. It hits close to home, I suppose. I wonder what happens from here to his current students. 

7 hours ago, Eurydice said:

well he is definitely fired. and he married to one of their leading classical archaeologists. 

I didn't know this, and was hoping it was not who I thought it might be, but easy Googling has confirmed my fears. Feeling so awful for her and for the whole department. 

Edited by ciistai

Hey - does anyone know what is going on with NYU? I haven't heard from them since they wrote to everyone in January saying they would be in touch for a Skype interview if they were interested. I guess they just send out late rejections? Probably coming today or next week...

6 hours ago, LtnLvr said:

Hey - does anyone know what is going on with NYU? I haven't heard from them since they wrote to everyone in January saying they would be in touch for a Skype interview if they were interested. I guess they just send out late rejections? Probably coming today or next week...

I'm not entirely sure (didn't apply there myself) but a friend recently attended their recruitment visit within the past week and a half I believe. Good luck!

Edited by ClassApp

7 hours ago, LtnLvr said:

Well, they are on Spring break now.

It seems like a lot of the acceptances and funding offers have been made by now (not all, of course!), and I'm admittedly relieved to have a couple great choices. Such a big decision is so nerve-wracking--how are you guys handling it? Has anyone made his/her decision?

More importantly, what criteria are most important to you in this decision? How are you deciding?

I have posted about this elsewhere in the forum a few minutes ago but I thought I would confer with classicists and archaeologists directly about this too.

I accepted my offer to IPCAA at UMich and am about to decline my offer at UPenn. I know IPCAA is the best choice for me... well, I'm about 90% sure. But, AAMW is such a great program and rejecting it makes me feel crazy! Aside from that, I really liked everyone there a lot. I want to send an email to the faculty who met with me, but I find I don't know what to say. I don't want to be too self-flagellating but I think they're aware of my other offer (at least one definitely is)  and might be understanding of my tough decision.

I've been putting off just finally doing this for way too long and I just want to be done with it, especially so I can free up a spot for someone on the waitlist. 

Does anyone have advice for me on this very difficult email I have to send? How long should it be? How regretful? Individual emails or should I copy each faculty member I met on the same email?

1 hour ago, ciistai said:

Does anyone have advice for me on this very difficult email I have to send? How long should it be? How regretful? Individual emails or should I copy each faculty member I met on the same email?

Just as you sent your thank-you notes to all of the professors who wrote letters of recommendation just after you sent your applications, send a brief thank-you note to each faculty member who spent time with you, right after the intereview. If you did not send those thank-you notes already, send one to each now along with your regrets. If you did send your thank-you notes immediately after the interview, it is appropriate to send one email to the DGS with your regrets. Keep it short and positive. (3-4 sentences is sufficient.) In the note, thank the department for their time and interest, express that you appreciate their offer, and mention that you have decided to enroll in a different program, although it was a difficult decision for you. If you are feeling especially like thanking everyone a second time, send them a personalized version of the note you send to the DGS with your regrets, reiterating your thanks for the time they spent with you. I think it is wonderful that you want to balance a healthy respect for their time having to deal with email, with your reasonable desire to thank them a second time and let them know what you decided. Even if a second thank-you is not precisely dictated by good manners, it isn't completely out of line, either. 

Just my opinion, having been the writer of recommendations for a dozen or so years.