Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

7 hours ago, ClassApp said:

Haha yes. I'm still awaiting news about waitlists and any news at all from Toronto... Dying slowly. Oh so slowly. 

Same!  I'm assuming I won't hear anything about waitlists until April or so, which is fine... but where is Toronto?  I'd like to know where I stand there!

On 2/22/2016 at 2:01 PM, jwiebz said:

I see there's a wait list notification out there for Notre Dame. Has anyone else heard anything since the interviews?

I got my waitlist notification from them on Saturday.  I imagine that they have sent out all of their acceptances and waitlist options by now.

On 2/22/2016 at 2:33 PM, Agrippina said:

Waitlist at Rutgers. 

Where have people heard from? Good luck everyone.

For PHDs, I've heard back from Penn (waitlisted), OSU History (accepted), and Cornell Classics (accepted).  For MAs, I've heard back from WashU in St. Louis, FSU, Notre Dame, and University of Kansas (Accepted by all but Notre Dame, where I was waitlisted).

3 hours ago, Agrippina said:

Waitlist at Rutgers. 

Where have people heard from? Good luck everyone.

I've heard back from WashU and Kansas for their M.A. programs (both acceptances and also my top two choices, so I'm very happy with it). I'm still waiting to hear from two schools (Notre Dame and Kentucky - but based on @Jimleko's experience, it looks like I might be expecting a rejection from Notre Dame).

Is there anyone out there who did a fly out interview weekend and didn't get accepted or knows someone that happened to? What was the reason do you think? This didn't happen to me but wondering why it happens to try to avoid it. :)

Well, when I did interview weekends a few years ago, roughly 2/3 of the prospective students weren't accepted at each school-- so it happens all the time. I really don't think there's anything you can do to avoid it, any more than you can avoid a regular rejection. The schools know how many spots they can fill ahead of time, and they fly in more students than they have places: so someone is going to get rejected.

I think the key is to try not to take it any more personally than you would a standard rejection. I mean, obviously it feels different, because you met people and you hope that you made a good impression and that they liked you. But ultimately, they are deciding on the merits of your application as a whole, and it is entirely possible that (even if they like you) they don't think you're the best choice for their program. It's just life, and this type of thing will keep happening over the course of your academic career-- grant applications, job applications-- so it is a good idea to figure out how to roll with it. 

8 hours ago, LtnLvr said:

Is there anyone out there who did a fly out interview weekend and didn't get accepted or knows someone that happened to? What was the reason do you think? This didn't happen to me but wondering why it happens to try to avoid it. :)

I did 3 years ago - there were 8 of us invited and they only had space for 4. They said it was a tough decision to make so they made offers to the 4 people who had Master's degrees. Personally I also was not ready at all for a PhD so it was a blessing in disguise!

I flew out for another interview at the same school this past weekend and if I'm rejected again I will be asking for feedback (just for reference since it'd be nice to know how I can improve my interview skills etc.) so I can let you know what they say if that is indeed what happens, haha...

19 minutes ago, Jimleko said:

Looks like final decisions from Berkeley's AHMA program are out.  Alas, I was not accepted, but immediately after I got an acceptance from Catholic University's Greek and Latin program.  Always nice when the bad is followed by the good.

Congratulations on your acceptance!