Fall 2016 Applicants

Pius Aeneas

10 hours ago, cmakouri said:

Hey all! I just called in for an interview in a couple weeks for RISD's MAT program. Any advice or tips on what to expect/how to prepare? Any info would be much appreciated! 

I have so far just had one Skype interview, but a friend presently in a PhD program advised me to go over my writing sample and statement of purpose beforehand, be ready to go into greater detail about anything I said, avoid generalities I couldn't substantiate if pressed, have specific answers for why I wanted to attend that particular place and work with that particular scholar, and so forth. I am bad at coming up with questions to ask at interviews, so for me the main thing I prepare is thinking of one or two things to ask the interviewers beforehand. 

6 hours ago, Augusto said:

when exactly is the AAMW weekend? Really hoping to hear from them (my top choice) soon - good or bad. If the fates are kind and the news is good (highly unlikely, but still possible), I may be in a pickle - considering I already booked (nonrefundable) tickets to two prospective weekends at the end of February 

It's February 25th to 27th

Hey, de-lurking. I've received an interview and am on the waitlist (either in general or for any funding) at three schools. I'm starting to wonder what being waitlisted at three schools means if anything. I almost felt worse once I got waitlisted at the second two schools because it now seems like a pattern. Is there anything one should do to get off the waitlist? Other than replying confirming interest?  

Edited by LtnLvr

9 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

Congratulations to whoever reported the Berkeley AHMA admit! 

Where are you seeing that? I saw that someone got into Berkeley, but it didn't specify AHMA. I am wondering why there are not more notifications about Berkeley going up since they probably accept a relatively high number of students, and whether the person who interviewed with them and posted on this thread is the person who was accepted. Rather futile wonderings...

2 hours ago, Jimleko said:

As far as I can tell, the only thing you can do is express interest and wait.  If someone with your interests rejects the school, they're likely to accept you; but it's still completely out of your hands.

Thanks, Jimleko!

34 minutes ago, LtnLvr said:

Where are you seeing that? I saw that someone got into Berkeley, but it didn't specify AHMA. I am wondering why there are not more notifications about Berkeley going up since they probably accept a relatively high number of students, and whether the person who interviewed with them and posted on this thread is the person who was accepted. Rather futile wonderings...

I posted the Berkeley admit (for classics, not AHMA), and I didn't get interviewed. 

Just a general letter of admission from the graduate division at this point, nothing from the department yet.

Hi, everyone! 

Do you all think it's common to be accepted off the wait list? I'm very nervous about the whole concept of it. I was recently put on one and I have no idea what the odds are of being accepted. Does anyone know if programs send out the wait list after those accepted have committed or simply after they have sent out the acceptance letters?

Thanks all, and good luck on your applications!

2 minutes ago, jwiebz said:

Hi, everyone! 

Do you all think it's common to be accepted off the wait list? I'm very nervous about the whole concept of it. I was recently put on one and I have no idea what the odds are of being accepted. Does anyone know if programs send out the wait list after those accepted have committed or simply after they have sent out the acceptance letters?

Thanks all, and good luck on your applications!

When wait list notifications are sent out varies entirely by program. I know that some programs (e.g. Michigan) will put people on the waitlist before even sending out acceptances.

Hi, everyone! I'm currently an undergrad at UNC Chapel Hill so feel free to ask about the school/area/department. I've applied to PhD programs at UCSB, U of Toronto, UWis-Madison, UWas-Seattle, UVA, and WashU St. Louis. I've been accepted to UCSB and UWis-Madison. I've been rejected from UVA and UWas-Seattle. I'm still waiting to hear from WashU and Toronto (it's killing me slowly). Has anyone heard updates about Toronto? Do they send notifications/acceptances to Canadians before Americans? I have a friend here who was accepted to their MA program around two weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, ClassApp said:

Hi, everyone! I'm currently an undergrad at UNC Chapel Hill so feel free to ask about the school/area/department. I've applied to PhD programs at UCSB, U of Toronto, UWis-Madison, UWas-Seattle, UVA, and WashU St. Louis. I've been accepted to UCSB and UWis-Madison. I've been rejected from UVA and UWas-Seattle. I'm still waiting to hear from WashU and Toronto (it's killing me slowly). Has anyone heard updates about Toronto? Do they send notifications/acceptances to Canadians before Americans? I have a friend here who was accepted to their MA program around two weeks ago. 

The only thing I can tell you is that I also applied to Toronto's PHD program (ancient history) and also haven't heard back yet.  I'm an American as well.  Also applied to WashU at St. Louis and also haven't heard back yet.

Edited by Jimleko

2 minutes ago, ClassApp said:

Based on the results board and other posters, it looks like Toronto has sent out a bunch of American acceptances. I know the WashU committee just met on Friday, but I don't know when the consequent decisions were/will be sent out.

1 hour ago, $eptimius$everus said:

Based on the results board and other posters, it looks like Toronto has sent out a bunch of American acceptances. I know the WashU committee just met on Friday, but I don't know when the consequent decisions were/will be sent out.

Really? Maybe I'm going crazy, but this year in Classics I can only find one acceptance to Toronto's PhD on the results page (Jan 26) and they're labeled as "I" so International--I thought probably Canadian (plus one for the masters program). Regardless, it makes me feel a bit better to know that there are a couple other people out there who haven't heard back yet! And hopefully WashU will send out their decisions soon. I know they usually have to go through Admissions, etc, but maybe an email will be sent out early this week if they've made their decisions already!

Edited by ClassApp

45 minutes ago, ClassApp said:

Really? Maybe I'm going crazy, but this year in Classics I can only find one acceptance to Toronto's PhD on the results page (Jan 26) and they're labeled as "I" so International--I thought probably Canadian (plus one for the masters program). 

Ah you're right; I misread the MA post. At least one person has a Toronto acceptance in their signature, although I'm not sure which program.

If it's helpful to anyone, I got into the Toronto MA and hold Canadian citizenship. Though in past years it looks like they've admitted Americans/internationals/MA applicants/PhD applicants all around the same time.

20 hours ago, LtnLvr said:

Thanks, Jimleko!

Hey - I am the AHMA person. I was not interviewed, if that helps you out at all. And I was told by Peña last year that they accept approximately four people a year, with the expectation that two or so will actually matriculate 

2 hours ago, Augusto said:

Hey - I can claim the AHMA post. I received a super nice email from the AHMA chair. I do not think they are finished. For what is worth, they said I was unanimously chosen by the committee. So, I think they may have let me know a little early because of that, but they may still be deciding on others. Prospective students weekend at the start of March, funding will be determined after interviews conducted then. 

Congrats on the acceptance! Could I ask what dates in March the prospective students thing takes place on? (Assuming it's the same for the classics side.) I heard from the graduate division the other day but haven't been contacted by the department yet.

10 minutes ago, Iocheaira said:

If you're the person who recently posted a waitlisting from Kansas on the results board, I officially declined their offer today. I hope you get the spot! Good luck!

That was me!! Thank you, and congratulations on your acceptances! 

3 hours ago, anactoria said:

Congrats on the acceptance! Could I ask what dates in March the prospective students thing takes place on? (Assuming it's the same for the classics side.) I heard from the graduate division the other day but haven't been contacted by the department yet.

Congrats! Not sure if it is the same as AHMA, but the dates are March 6th - 7th! Hope to see you there! 

Hi everyone, I've been lurking but finally cracked under the stress and need to post. I'm Canadian, did my BA at Guelph, MA in Classics at MUN, and MA in English at Acadia. I'm going into Classical Reception and applied to schools in the UK, since that's where it's a hot topic right now. I've been accepted to UCL and RHUL, but funding is an entirely separate application process, so despite my acceptances I have no idea if I can go until I hear back re: funding... UCL is supposed to send out word by February 24th. So this is probably the most stressful month ever.

3 hours ago, Ovid ex ponto said:

Hi everyone, I've been lurking but finally cracked under the stress and need to post. I'm Canadian, did my BA at Guelph, MA in Classics at MUN, and MA in English at Acadia. I'm going into Classical Reception and applied to schools in the UK, since that's where it's a hot topic right now. I've been accepted to UCL and RHUL, but funding is an entirely separate application process, so despite my acceptances I have no idea if I can go until I hear back re: funding... UCL is supposed to send out word by February 24th. So this is probably the most stressful month ever.

Welcome and good luck!! I know the wait for funding can be awful... I'm also Canadian and went to the UK for an MPhil. I didn't hear about my funding until... late March? It can unfortunately sometimes take a while but I am wishing you the best!!!! UCL is amazing apparently and I am SO jealous of the Classical Studies library at Senate House - I used to brave a two-hour bus ride to London just to use it.