DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

3 hours ago, x\/x\/x said:

Last year grad research folks didn't find out until March 31 :( 

And intensive language students didn't until mid April. I'm hoping that isn't the same this year and we all find out in the next week.

On 3/10/2016 at 3:50 PM, Horb said:

Question for intensive language grant applicants: how long was your statement of purpose?

Mine was 3, 1.5 spaced. During the application process I contacted the Canadian offices in Toronto and was told the Tabular CV and Letter of Intent could be max. 3 pages each, with no specifications on margins or font.

25 minutes ago, kunstkid said:

Mine was 3, 1.5 spaced. During the application process I contacted the Canadian offices in Toronto and was told the Tabular CV and Letter of Intent could be max. 3 pages each, with no specifications on margins or font.

Good to know! I contacted the NYC office and they said there were no minimums or maximums (which was odd, as last year it was 500 words max). Mine was 2 pages double spaced, I believe. 

For all those who've applied for a graduate research grant (long-term): I e-mailed the NY offices of DAAD this weekend, and was told that we should wait until mid-April (!!!) for decisions to be released. Let's hope my correspondent is just being overly cautious...

Hello everyone...I applied for the "Study Scholarship for Foreign Graduates in Fine Arts" and although the various messages in the portal said that a decision would be made in late February, informing applicants "as a rule within three weeks," here we are in the third week and nothing seems to be happening. Since my scholarship is processed by the main offices in Bonn and not DAAD New York, calling the American DAAD offices in SF or NY has not been very informative. My status online has been "paper copies received" since November. Did anyone else apply for Fine Arts? 

Edited by javanaise

7 hours ago, Abyssus said:

For all those who've applied for a graduate research grant (long-term): I e-mailed the NY offices of DAAD this weekend, and was told that we should wait until mid-April (!!!) for decisions to be released. Let's hope my correspondent is just being overly cautious...

blergh :(

6 minutes ago, Sound+Vision said:

Hi! I also applied for Fine Arts Study Scholarship and haven't heard anything.

I'm kind of stressed about my application actually being received though--how/where are you guys seeing your online status?

For the intensive language grant (I'm not sure about the Fine Arts, so take this with a grain of salt if your application procedure was different): 

We had to submit an application online, then print it out, and mail it in. If you had to do this, then the website in which you filled out and submitted your application is the "portal" and should list your status if you click on personal funding, then application and funding overview.

8 minutes ago, Horb said:

For the intensive language grant (I'm not sure about the Fine Arts, so take this with a grain of salt if your application procedure was different): 

We had to submit an application online, then print it out, and mail it in. If you had to do this, then the website in which you filled out and submitted your application is the "portal" and should list your status if you click on personal funding, then application and funding overview.

Thanks Horb! I found it, and it still says "application submitted". Still have anxieties about the paper application being received as well (without any confirmation/lost-in-the-mail nightmares etc.) but there are just too many things to spend time worrying about, right? Guess we'll all just have to wait and hope for the best.  Good luck to all!

Happy Tuesday everyone! May the odds be in your favor today (with status changes or ridiculously early surprise results).

Im hating the person that told me the results will be out within the next days... and nothing happened <.<

Crossing fingers for everyone!

2 minutes ago, Gibery said:

Im hating the person that told me the results will be out within the next days... and nothing happened <.<

Crossing fingers for everyone!

Hi Gibery, I forget, are you from the US (or applying from the US)? (It seems like we all have varying notifications times based on country).

3 minutes ago, Horb said:

Hi Gibery, I forget, are you from the US (or applying from the US)? (It seems like we all have varying notifications times based on country).

Nope! I'm from Argentina

and the only thing that changes in the portal is the maintenance times!...

Just now, Gibery said:

Nope! I'm from Argentina

and the only thing that changes in the portal is the maintenance times!...

Haha! Well I hope you hear soon! I was on twitter to see if DAAD updated and someone (from I think Ohio) got a letter of acceptance in the mail, but they could have been an undergrad, which I think has a different process.

1 minute ago, Horb said:

Haha! Well I hope you hear soon! I was on twitter to see if DAAD updated and someone (from I think Ohio) got a letter of acceptance in the mail, but they could have been an undergrad, which I think has a different process.

oh lord! another thing to check: Twitter!!!! @_@

1 minute ago, Gibery said:

oh lord! another thing to check: Twitter!!!! @_@

When people tweet at them, they usually respond. But I'm to afraid to make contact, haha.

16 hours ago, Sound+Vision said:

Thanks Horb! I found it, and it still says "application submitted". Still have anxieties about the paper application being received as well (without any confirmation/lost-in-the-mail nightmares etc.) but there are just too many things to spend time worrying about, right? Guess we'll all just have to wait and hope for the best.  Good luck to all!

Sound+Vision : 

How are your applications for the art academies going? This process seems never-ending...

Hi all,

I went through the last few years of DAAD and found similar notification periods, namely:

Study: Late March (3/28/2013, 3/24/2014, 3/31/2015)

Research: Late March (3/28/2013, 3/28/2014, 3/31/2015)

Intensive: Mid April (4/16/2014, 4/17/2015) (though someone mentioned hearing at the start of March in 2013...)

It looks like I may be in for a long wait...

2 minutes ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

I went through the last few years of DAAD and found similar notification periods, namely:

Study: Late March (3/28/2013, 3/24/2014, 3/31/2015)

Research: Late March (3/28/2013, 3/28/2014, 3/31/2015)

Intensive: Mid April (4/16/2014, 4/17/2015) (though someone mentioned hearing at the start of March in 2013...)

It looks like I may be in for a long wait...

Thanks for doing this detective work, Horb! But also: euuuuugh mid-April? Looks like I'll be biting my nails for longer than expected

41 minutes ago, kunstkid said:

Thanks for doing this detective work, Horb! But also: euuuuugh mid-April? Looks like I'll be biting my nails for longer than expected

It all depends! One person in our thread previously stated that they were told end of March (would be great!). I might email Monday to inquire about results. I'd do almost anything for this award, but I am trying to realistic.

Edited by Horb
Edited for content.