DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

19 hours ago, Abyssus said:

Alas. Just saw in the DAAD Portal that my application for a research grant (doctoral candidate) has been rejected... Good luck to everyone else!

I was shocked to my feet yesterday when I checked my status and saw Rejected . But I tried to glean from colleagues and friends who got the award last year whether they noticed any change on their application status before receiving an email notification from DaaD . From their answers it appears either they didn't notice a change in their application status or DAaD sent them a notification first before their online portal application status changed

but from past experiences, you are unlikely to see any message or notification on your portal without first receiving an email notification 

please can those who are more skilled with an understanding tell me how this works? 

I applied for a PhD research grant for more than six months 

19 hours ago, Abyssus said:

Alas. Just saw in the DAAD Portal that my application for a research grant (doctoral candidate) has been rejected... Good luck to everyone else!

Same with mine. Completely devastated . Can't be productive. But I've not received any follow up email from  them? 

18 hours ago, xylogirl10 said:

Hi! Long time stalker of this forum. I'm from the States and I applied for funding for a German PhD program. My application says it has been rejected on the portal.

I wish the rest of you the best of luck!

Hello 

sorry to hear that. Mine too says rejected. Have you received any follow up email from them? 

14 minutes ago, Veronica germany said:

I was shocked to my feet yesterday when I checked my status and saw Rejected . But I tried to glean from colleagues and friends who got the award last year whether they noticed any change on their application status before receiving an email notification from DaaD . From their answers it appears either they didn't notice a change in their application status or DAaD sent them a notification first before their online portal application status changed

but from past experiences, you are unlikely to see any message or notification on your portal without first receiving an email notification 

please can those who are more skilled with an understanding tell me how this works? 

I applied for a PhD research grant for more than six months 

Hi Veronica. So sorry to hear that :( Did you apply and/or are you from the US?

17 hours ago, xylogirl10 said:

It went right to rejection...unless it changed for 10 hours and I missed it. I have heard rumors that some rejected applications are wait-listed, but I doubt that is the case with me because it is so early.

Hello everyone

and what exactly is wait listing? 

What are the chances with these different scenarios?

1.  application status changing from "submitted " to Rejected

2. Application status changing from submitted - selection made- rejected 

and does any body know how it went for those who were wait listed? 

Any one here who has been wait listed before? Please clues and more close . I'm running insane 

Hi Veronica,

Sorry to hear about your news. Welcome to the club! :(

DAAD in the US has, or so they claim to me, no idea how the portal functions or why statuses are changed for some people and not others at any given time. I applied previously and my status went from "submitted" to "selection made" but I was still rejected, and my status for that previous application still says "selection made." A representative from the US told me Bonn will send official notifications for grad research grants within the next 7 days. In light of this delay it's unfortunate (tortuous?) that Bonn can't keep the "application status" field under wraps, since it leads to so much confusion and extra stress/worrying.

18 hours ago, Horb said:

No change here either.

Hello Horb .  I am new here but I've gleaned from last year's blog that you are really determined to get the DAaD scholarship. I wish you well but u fortunately my status sank to Rejected in less than 24 hours and that happened a day after I mildly contacted them via the portal to find out if they had sent me any message / email .  However, I haven't received any notification from daad since the change in application status.   Can anybody give me more info? 

What at is likely going to be the next step? It seems many who applied for a doctoral research svholarship were rejected

again anybody on this platform whose application status changed to Rejected and still got a reversal? 

Has as such miracle / mystery ever happened? 

Edited by Veronica germany

15 hours ago, aynrand said:

Anybody here who applied from outside North America and/or not from North America?

Yes I applied from outside North America and I'm not an American . Got rejected status yesterday  but still no follow up email yet 

20 minutes ago, x\/x\/x said:

Hi Veronica,

DAAD in the US has, or so they claim to me, no idea how the portal functions or why statuses are changed for some people and not others at any given time. I applied previously and my status went from "submitted" to "selection made" but I was still rejected, and my status for that previous application still says "selection made." A representative from the US told me Bonn will send official notifications for grad research grants within the next 7 days. In light of this delay it's unfortunate (tortuous?) that Bonn can't keep the "application status" field under wraps, since it leads to so much confusion and extra stress/worrying.

Dear xvxvxv

many thanks for your support

having been playing around the online portal since I knew about daad, I have been used to the tradition of Bonn sending you an email notification regarding messages or new information first and then retrieving those messages from the portal. 

So so when I didn't get any notification but saw a change from application submitted to Rejected in less than 24 hours of visiting the portal, I was sure taken aback. 

Please de if you wouldn't mind me probing further, how long was it after your status changed to selection made before you received a reply from daad

and was the official rejection letter announced as a notification on your email before you retrieved the message from the portal? 

Or or dud you get the official rejection directly from the portal? 

Any contact act with anyone who had a rejection and then wait listed ? 

Are you considering applying for the next round? 

1 hour ago, x\/x\/x said:

Hi Veronica,

Hello Decaf

has your application changed again? Or is still the same way? 

I dont have have the courage to check again 

I'm so scared 

Hi Veronica,

I don't recall the exact time table from my last application, but it was a few days between seeing the portal change and receiving official notification, which I think came via e-mail from DAAD North America. They seem to be tweaking the process slightly every year, so I'm not sure past precedent will be much help, particularly if you're in a different country. My only piece of advice now would be *not* to look at the portal, as it only leads to misery and uncertainty. I'm sure we will hear an official answer before the end of the month.

And while rejection is never fun, I would also just like to say that this grant will not make or break your life: it is not the final word on your intellectual qualifications or professional potential. Like any major fellowship, DAAD is highly competitive and no one should ever count it as a sure thing. 

2 hours ago, Veronica germany said:

Hello Horb .  I am new here but I've gleaned from last year's blog that you are really determined to get the DAaD scholarship. I wish you well but u fortunately my status sank to Rejected in less than 24 hours and that happened a day after I mildly contacted them via the portal to find out if they had sent me any message / email .  However, I haven't received any notification from daad since the change in application status.   Can anybody give me more info? 

What at is likely going to be the next step? It seems many who applied for a doctoral research svholarship were rejected

again anybody on this platform whose application status changed to Rejected and still got a reversal? 

Has as such miracle / mystery ever happened? 

I'm sorry about your rejection! Fortunately, I know asking questions doesn't impact our status, but it doesn't necessarily make the process any easier or reduce anxiety. 

Last year or the year before, I recall statuses changing to rejection then back to selection made but no one ended up having a different outcome if I remember correctly. I think they may have wanted to send emails first (which came from New York).

i have no idea what the process this year will look like.

oS

1 hour ago, Horb said:

I'm sorry about your rejection! Fortunately, I know asking questions doesn't impact our status, but it doesn't necessarily make the process any easier or reduce anxiety. 

Last year or the year before, I recall statuses changing to rejection then back to selection made but no one ended up having a different outcome if I remember correctly. I think they may have wanted to send emails first (which came from New York).

i have no idea what the process this year will look like.

Hmmm . so Rejection and Selection made or the back and forth of these stauses is likely to end up with outright REJECTION

Meaning that only those with status reading : Research Grant Funding are most likely sure of their fate

thanks a bunch for this piece of information.

Best of luck to you too.

24 minutes ago, Veronica germany said:

Hmmm . so Rejection and Selection made or the back and forth of these stauses is likely to end up with outright REJECTION

Meaning that only those with status reading : Research Grant Funding are most likely sure of their fate

thanks a bunch for this piece of information.

Best of luck to you too.

Editing to clarify: Selection Made either transitions into accepted (funded) or rejected. HOWEVER, there is no way to tell until a final status is determined (funding or application rejected). Last year, people had selection made that converted to funding or to rejected. Some people last year (or the year before, you can see it if you look through the old forum) had it go from application submitted => selection made => rejected => selection made => rejected.

I personally will be waiting to celebrate if I get "funding" on the portal until I have an official email. But I HIGHLY doubt I will get funded, since I'm on the higher end of the A1-B1 spectrum and I doubt DAAD would want to give me funding over someone newer to German, but I don't have any statistics for that. 

Edited by Horb
Clarity

So, I saw my status change to "Application Rejected" yesterday and got the official notification today as a message in the DAAD portal, rather than an email from DAAD New York like last year. This time they actually told me how many points I had achieved and that I "just marginally" missed being awarded the scholarship. So, that's too bad, but I'm actually happy to have received a more "personal" rejection letter this time.

4 hours ago, x\/x\/x said:

And while rejection is never fun, I would also just like to say that this grant will not make or break your life: it is not the final word on your intellectual qualifications or professional potential.

Indeed! I needed to read this. I am reminding myself that this organization doesn't care enough to let us know how many pages they want or other rather important application details. I shouldn't take it personally.

I kind of regret mentioning the wait-list thing. I didn't mean to give anyone false hope. We had heard that we wouldn't hear anything until April. I was surprised to see "rejected" yesterday and I thought, "wow they must have hated my proposal!" until the other applicants started updating. I only know about it because a friend was rejected, but then was offered it in May when someone couldn't go a few years ago. She said it doesn't happen often and there is no official list.

Good luck to all of you and your future endeavors!

7 minutes ago, zadigblue said:

So, I saw my status change to "Application Rejected" yesterday and got the official notification today as a message in the DAAD portal, rather than an email from DAAD New York like last year. This time they actually told me how many points I had achieved and that I "just marginally" missed being awarded the scholarship. So, that's too bad, but I'm actually happy to have received a more "personal" rejection letter this time.

I'm still sitting at Application Submitted for the Study Scholarship. Really would like to know if they're rejecting in small batches and I'm just waiting for the ax to fall or if I lucked out and am safe. More waiting...

14 minutes ago, zadigblue said:

I hope they do this! I would love to know exactly what got me rejected.

1 minute ago, aynrand said:

My application status hasn't changed at all. Still "Application Submitted."

are you also applying from North America/the US? Or as an affiliate of a North American university? Were you a "priority candidate"?

3 minutes ago, x\/x\/x said:

are you also applying from North America/the US? Or as an affiliate of a North American university? Were you a "priority candidate"?

No. Am not applying from North America. I applied for a research grant for PhD program in Germany. Still no update.

29 minutes ago, aynrand said:

No. Am not applying from North America. I applied for a research grant for PhD program in Germany. Still no update.

I also applied for PhD research grant although not from North America but got a rejection yesterday.  As at the last time , i checked the portal this morning , they hadnt sent in additional info or official rejection.   I am afraid to open the portal again to peep in