DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

1 hour ago, x\/x\/x said:

well, I'm an alternate (or "reserve candidate") for a research grant. Sigh.

So your status went from application submitted to selection made to reserved list ? 

Then you don't have any cause to worry 

congrats in advance 

1 minute ago, Veronica germany said:

So your status went from application submitted to selection made to reserved list ? 

Then you don't have any cause to worry 

congrats in advance 

Just to clarify: reserved candidate status does not mean you will get the grant. If people drop out / turn down the grant, then you *may* get the grant. It is no guaranteed. It is still an honor though! 

36 minutes ago, Horb said:

Reserved candidate is its own status. If you have rejected, I would assume you are not waitlisted. But again, DAAD has been changing things up and someone said previously that a friend was rejected but later (in May) was awarded the grant.

I mean up till now there has  been no other or new message both as an email notification or as an outright portal message in the last three days when I first saw application rejected

this is getting me real worried 

others have said they got an official confirmation from DAAD within hours or at least in 24 hours 

any body with a more plausible information? Pup ? 

Edited by Veronica germany

Hi all,

Lurker since February--this (and the Fulbright thread) have been helpful to the waiting process, and I thought I should share what little information I have in small contribution.  DAAD status is impossibly confusing this year!

I applied to a long-term research grant (more than six months), from North America.  My status went from 'application submitted' directly to 'application rejected', with nothing in between.  This was Tuesday, when many others here said the same.

Today (so someone is working, at least!), I had an actual letter, but only in the portal.  Someone else mentioned getting one earlier, so maybe they are coming for all of you fellow rejectees, soon.  It really helped me with closure.

The letter does say that the committee had to decide between 157 applicants, and were only able to award 40 (a 25% hit rate).  I assume these numbers were for my programme only, but hopefully that helps others in different categories maintain perspective.  I haven't done enough detective work to compare that with prior years, to see if our speculations about funding cuts/reallocations are justified.

The letter also does give a X.XX out of 10 rating, which is very helpful.  I would like to know concrete ways to improve, though.

Best of Luck to all those still in the running, and for those of us commiserating, please don't be too hard on yourself.  I did, for a day, but everything will be all right.  You are all very smart people, I promise!

8 minutes ago, tritalk said:

If you have received a decision, did you get an e-mail telling you to check the portal first? :wacko: --> me, waiting to find out 

Hi tritalk, I didn't.  I think you will have to brave the cold and log in!

4 minutes ago, pup said:

Hi all,

Lurker since February--this (and the Fulbright thread) have been helpful to the waiting process, and I thought I should share what little information I have in small contribution.  DAAD status is impossibly confusing this year!

I applied to a long-term research grant (more than six months), from North America.  My status went from 'application submitted' directly to 'application rejected', with nothing in between.  This was Tuesday, when many others here said the same.

Today (so someone is working, at least!), I had an actual letter, but only in the portal.  Someone else mentioned getting one earlier, so maybe they are coming for all of you fellow rejectees, soon.  It really helped me with closure.

The letter does say that the committee had to decide between 157 applicants, and were only able to award 40 (a 25% hit rate).  I assume these numbers were for my programme only, but hopefully that helps others in different categories maintain perspective.  I haven't done enough detective work to compare that with prior years, to see if our speculations about funding cuts/reallocations are justified.

The letter also does give a X.XX out of 10 rating, which is very helpful.  I would like to know concrete ways to improve, though.

Best of Luck to all those still in the running, and for those of us commiserating, please don't be too hard on yourself.  I did, for a day, but everything will be all right.  You are all very smart people, I promise!

Wow this is really a brave one

Thanks for sharing and morally supporting others 

Just now, pup said:

Hi tritalk, I didn't.  I think you will have to brave the cold and log in!

Hi Pup,

I logged in, and it's still blank. This is driving me nuts. Did you hear back from Fulbright? It's a great program; I was an ETA a couple years ago and had some great experiences. Good luck! 

3 minutes ago, tritalk said:

Hi Pup,

I logged in, and it's still blank. This is driving me nuts. Did you hear back from Fulbright? It's a great program; I was an ETA a couple years ago and had some great experiences. Good luck! 

Hi again,

Just to clarify the already confusing process:  I DID in fact receive an email today 'Neue Mitteilung/New Message DAAD-Portal: Bewerbun'.  The message just tells you to log into the portal.  Out of habit, I just checked the portal before logging into my email today.  I guess I don't have to do that anymore!

I am an alternate for Fulbright.  An agonising fate, as the wait never ends.  I am mentally trying to move on, though, to assuage the anxiety.  I'm an optimist, so it is difficult.

Daumen gedrückt für alle!

1 minute ago, pup said:

Hi again,

Just to clarify the already confusing process:  I DID in fact receive an email today 'Neue Mitteilung/New Message DAAD-Portal: Bewerbun'.  The message just tells you to log into the portal.  Out of habit, I just checked the portal before logging into my email today.  I guess I don't have to do that anymore!

I am an alternate for Fulbright.  An agonising fate, as the wait never ends.  I am mentally trying to move on, though, to assuage the anxiety.  I'm an optimist, so it is difficult.

hey Pup, thanks for your posts. I'm sure I'll be joining your ranks soon enough. I was an alternate for Fulbright a few years ago and was ultimately unsuccessful, but here's hoping things turn out well for us both this time around! 

3 minutes ago, pup said:

Hi again,

Hi pup you seem to bring on real hope to some of us still in limbo 

up till now I've nit received any email of portal notification 

rejection status still displayed 

2 hours ago, Veronica germany said:

I mean up till now there has  been no other or new message both as an email notification or as an outright portal message in the last three days when I first saw application rejected

this is getting me real worried 

others have said they got an official confirmation from DAAD within hours or at least in 24 hours 

any body with a more plausible information? Pup ? 

Someone also stated we would get results in 7 (business) days. I'm not sure every process is the same.

5 hours ago, eigthy said:

Hey Gibery!

Still no mail? :) 

Hello eigthy!! Congratzs!! my email arrived 2-3 days later through the portal! stil nothing on the mail!

I'm still stalking to know everyone's status! Sorry for all the rejects :/ and still finger crossed to the rest :)

Just now, Gibery said:

Hello eigthy!! Congratzs!! my email arrived 2-3 days later through the portal! stil nothing on the mail!

I'm still stalking to know everyone's status! Sorry for all the rejects :/ and still finger crossed to the rest :)

I'm really curious to know if the delay in status change (it has been weeks since mine changed) means anything.

11 minutes ago, Gibery said:

11 minutes ago, Gibery said:

No prior notification in your email? 

Straight to the portal? Congrats. What status were you before the award letter? 

12 minutes ago, Veronica germany said:

No prior notification in your email? 

Straight to the portal? Congrats. What status were you before the award letter? 

I had a notification on my email that i had a new msg on the portal :) and after everything i received it was notificated on my mail first

My status went from selection made that lasted like 1 week, then empty for a few hours, then funding!

1 minute ago, Gibery said:

I had a notification on my email that i had a new msg on the portal :) and after everything i received it was notificated on my mail first

My status went from selection made that lasted like 1 week, then empty for a few hours, then funding!

Thanks for all of your information!

25 minutes ago, Gibery said:

Congrats .

at least that is a pattern to look out for ????

selection made - vacant space- then the raw deal! 

Lol 

Edited by Veronica germany

Is any one here from India or Sri lanka? I have applied for Language summer course in June.It was Essay Competition and on my portal my application status is Showing "Selection Made". Any news about result? Or any important change for the same? 

19 hours ago, x\/x\/x said:

well, I'm an alternate (or "reserve candidate") for a research grant. Sigh.

hi x//,

Ignore if this is too personal, but I was wondering what score you received to be an 'alternate' (mine was 8.40/10, and that was not enough), just wondering 'how close is close'.

Thanks, and good luck!

grad research grant; status: rejected.

7 minutes ago, crookster said:

hi x//,

Ignore if this is too personal, but I was wondering what score you received to be an 'alternate' (mine was 8.40/10, and that was not enough), just wondering 'how close is close'.

Thanks, and good luck!

hey crookster, 

unfortunately they didn't tell me my score, so I have no clue! I do know the list is ranked, but neither NYC nor Bonn would give me more information than that. 

Are there any US grad research applicants out there who were successful? If so, would you mind sharing the deadline for accepting/declining the grant? 

Random question: did any one else have technical issues when submitting their application? I just realized my question was never answered by DAAD (funny in its own way) but I know my application was completely submitted.

2 hours ago, crookster said:

hi x//,

Thanks, and good luck!

PhD research grant, status : Rejected, No correspondence either from portal or mail since monday or tuesday when i noticed that sudden change from submitted to rejected .

any one here to help out?