DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

Just now, abreak said:

Congrats!! It seems like people usually receive a confirmation email within a few days of their status changing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Thank you! I hope that's the case!

54 minutes ago, EarlyModernGermany said:

Since SNP3 applied for the study scholarship, I'd imagine that those of us waiting on language scholarships will not be hearing today. Just a guess, but it seems like these come in waves.

Summer Language Grant, DAAD NY, portal status: 'selection made'

Agreed. There's usually a three week wait, but if that is the case it'll be far past "end of March or early April"

14 minutes ago, tritalk said:

My status also says, "funding" now! I want to celebrate, but I still haven't received an e-mail confirmation, so I'm a little hesitant....

I got the email 2 or 3 days later, you will get the msg in the portal! after you need to submit the "declaration of aceptance" but all the instructions are gonna be there in your email! dont worry!! and celebrate already!

Edited by Gibery

22 hours ago, Horb said:

What exactly are you looking for? Fulbright is great for study, research, or ETA. Austria has some ETA opportunities as well that are not Fulbright. 

I am hoping more for research (though study could be entertained).  I am currently doing a PhD in the USA, but opportunities in my subfield are fantastic in Germany, and my department is very supportive of people leaving for a year (or so) to collaborate on research elsewhere.  Thanks for any leads!

5 minutes ago, pup said:

I am hoping more for research (though study could be entertained).  I am currently doing a PhD in the USA, but opportunities in my subfield are fantastic in Germany, and my department is very supportive of people leaving for a year (or so) to collaborate on research elsewhere.  Thanks for any leads!

Yeah, the Fulbright Research to Germany would the best route (other than DAAD). But you should definitely see if there are dissertation fellowships that allow for travel (i.e. they give you $20K, but it doesn't state you NEED to stay at your university for the year. It is just earmarked for the dissertation work, so you could go abroad for a year and live off of that money. You'd still need to figure out how a visa would work if 90 days wouldn't be enough for the research). UCLA's GRAPES database (just google that) and Cornell's database provide a TON of external fellowship opportunities. Just make sure you aren't look at an internal or Uni of Cal based grant (most listings in the database are not restricted to UCLA or the Uni of Cal system).

2 minutes ago, Heimat Historian said:

Hi all.  I'm applying for the intensive language scholarship and I still have "selection made" in my portal.  I guess we'll be waiting a bit still huh? 

My guess is we will hear April 16th.

Just now, Heimat Historian said:

That makes buying tickets kind of tight, doesn't it?  Do you remember what school you put down? 

I did Goethe Institut. I say April 16th because the last two years, it was April 16th and April 17th. I don't expect a change. I also don't know if they care if getting tickets is "tight" as we do get a stipend for it.

16 minutes ago, Heimat Historian said:

That makes buying tickets kind of tight, doesn't it?  Do you remember what school you put down? 

What about you?

The tight window is tricky, especially since I'm going to try to go even if I don't get funding. The first Goethe-Institut course available in the summer begins April 25th. Even if there are any slots left in that class as late as the 15th, trying to get ready to leave the country in less than 10 days will be difficult. Hopefully we'll here sooner!

Applying: DAAD Intensive Language Grant, DAAD NYC, Status: Selection Made

48 minutes ago, EarlyModernGermany said:

The tight window is tricky, especially since I'm going to try to go even if I don't get funding. The first Goethe-Institut course available in the summer begins April 25th. Even if there are any slots left in that class as late as the 15th, trying to get ready to leave the country in less than 10 days will be difficult. Hopefully we'll here sooner!

Applying: DAAD Intensive Language Grant, DAAD NYC, Status: Selection Made

Are you allowed to go in April? Last year they said the first course option was June. Did they change it?

13 hours ago, pup said:

@abreak, @Horb

Thanks for the links--that's a lot for me to work through already!

For any others looking for Germany-specific funding, there is:  http://www.research-in-germany.org/en/research-funding/funding-programmes/overview-phd-students.html

Congrats to all those getting good news today, and to those of you still waiting, hang in there!

For those who got selected especially for research grants, is there any paragraph in your award letters that suggests what supported your applications . 

This is may help us who are thinking if re applying for 2017/2018 

any pointer ? 

Finally the the rejection has been confirmed with an email 

congrats to all those who made it . 

I look foreard to the opening of this year's application 

Yeah but there's a difference between when daad funds and when Goethe institute holds courses. But it doesn't matter. They would have told you so I assume it has changed :)

7 hours ago, Veronica germany said:

For those who got selected especially for research grants, is there any paragraph in your award letters that suggests what supported your applications . 

This is may help us who are thinking if re applying for 2017/2018 

There were 2 letters, one saying congratulations u got the scholarship, attached are these documents (and the list of documents) and a "Letter of award" that says the name of the scholarship/target institution/monthly payment/travel allowance/insurance benefits, but... there was nothing related to why they chose my project

@Gibery @SNP3 Would either of you mind sharing the date by which DAAD expects you to accept/decline your award? I'm just trying to get a sense of when us alternates might start hearing back. Thanks!

5 hours ago, x\/x\/x said:

@Gibery @SNP3 Would either of you mind sharing the date by which DAAD expects you to accept/decline your award? I'm just trying to get a sense of when us alternates might start hearing back. Thanks!

The declaration of acceptance says it should be uploaded as soon as posible, at the latest within 4 weeks 

3 minutes ago, s3v said:

Graduate study scholarship just went from Selection Made to blank.

fingers crossed!!! Today could be THE DAY! good luck =)

6 minutes ago, s3v said:

Graduate study scholarship just went from Selection Made to blank.

GOOD LUCK! I HOPE IT IS AN ACCEPTANCE!!!!

Is it weird that people are finding out at all different times?

4 minutes ago, Gibery said:

fingers crossed!!! Today could be THE DAY! good luck =)

1 minute ago, Horb said:

GOOD LUCK! I HOPE IT IS AN ACCEPTANCE!!!!

Is it weird that people are finding out at all different times?

Thanks. The fairly large delta in when the others found out and when I'm finding out (maybe??), indicates to me that this probably won't be good news.
Based on their processing rate, I also don't expect the application status to change until monday or tuesday at the earliest.

Also, when they confirmed my application, they said results should come at the end of march or beginning of april from Bonn. The scholarship info page at daad says results should be in middle of april. classic daad amiryt.