Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

Hi, I am accepted by them and is seriously considering it, but I have not gotten any information about the Prospective Student Days. Where did you get that information?

Is anyone who got into the University of Washington and is considering it (or has accepted their offer) planning on attending the Prospective Student Days next week?

I'm looking into MA EAS programs for Fall 11 (a bit early I suppose, but starting my essay) and I'd like to know what are considered strong programs for Korean studies. Also, am I a competitive candidate for top programs, or should I aim for middling programs (OSU and IU-Bloomington look decent to me). I have no formal east asian undergrad work (history major) but have spent 3 years in Korea and studied korean to the intermediate level. Im also not really interested in PhD programs at this point, but may consider them in the future..So many questions, but thankfully, so much time..!

Harvard and University of Hawaii at Manoa are probably two of the best programs in Korean Studies.

Heard that University of Washington at Seattle has a great Korean Studies program, too.

I know that a professor who taught at Seoul National University's ģ™øźµķ•™ź³¼ (Sorry, I don't

know what the English name for their program is) for 20-some years

has moved to UW one or two years ago. His name is ķ•˜ģš©ģ²  or ķ•˜ģ˜ģ²  or something.

And you might look into the academic works of maybe Professor Lee Hong Yung for Berkeley

and Samuel S. Kim for Columbia

(that is..if you're interested in Politics)

Since you haven't taken any undegrad courses, it might be good to sit in on some courses so you can

get the feel of what you would be studying later on. Also, it might help you in writing your application essays.

If you're living in Seoul, you might consider auditing some courses at Yonsei University's Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS). I know that the professors there warmly welcome students to audit their classes.

A professor their named Michael-something graduated from Harvard. Or you might like to take some

courses at Seoul National University's GSIS. But I think Yonsei might have a better Korean Studies program.

Hope this helps !

Edited by gumbikim

Hi, I am accepted by them and is seriously considering it, but I have not gotten any information about the Prospective Student Days. Where did you get that information?

I haven't either. If it's next week...OMG do I have to cancel my trip to Singapore..sad.gif

I haven't either. If it's next week...OMG do I have to cancel my trip to Singapore..sad.gif

My bad, I didn't realize that it is for underrepresented minority students, which may explain why you weren't contacted... Don't go cancelling your trip to Singapore but be sure to say hi to the sun for me :)

My bad, I didn't realize that it is for underrepresented minority students, which may explain why you weren't contacted... Don't go cancelling your trip to Singapore but be sure to say hi to the sun for me smile.gif

ummm

Difficult to understand.

Were you notified by e-mail?

ummm

Difficult to understand.

Were you notified by e-mail?

I was notified by email. It is not being sponsored by the Jackson school though. It is being sponsored by GO-MAP, a central office that works with minority and underrepresented students. If you look up GO-MAP there is more information on their website.

I was notified by email. It is not being sponsored by the Jackson school though. It is being sponsored by GO-MAP, a central office that works with minority and underrepresented students. If you look up GO-MAP there is more information on their website.

Hi there, I am doing anthropology with a focus on China. May I ask if the UW or Indiana provide you with any funding?

Edited by Peanut

I have a question on the chinese language classes at UW .

I want to take some Chinese language classes during my MA studies, but

don't really know where my level of Chinese stands. I received a level 8 on

the HSK test last June, but aside from preparing for that test, I haven't

been able to maintain my Chinese lately because of admission stuff and all.

I'd like to polish up my Chinese before the fall semester starts, but don't

know where to start or what kind of preparation would be best for grad school.

Also, I've never taken a Chinese language class at a US institution before so I was

wondering how the courses are conducted and whether I should take

language courses from the third-year level or the fourth.

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by gumbikim

I have a question on the chinese language classes at UW .

I want to take some Chinese language classes during my MA studies, but

don't really know where my level of Chinese stands. I received a level 8 on

the HSK test last June, but aside from preparing for that test, I haven't

been able to maintain my Chinese lately because of admission stuff and all.

I'd like to polish up my Chinese before the fall semester starts, but don't

know where to start or what kind of preparation would be best for grad school.

Also, I've never taken a Chinese language class at a US institution before so I was

wondering how the courses are conducted and whether I should take

language courses from the third-year level or the fourth.

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi gumbikim, I visited UW last week and got to meet some of the current china studies students. They showed me what they are working on in language class. If you got an 8 on the HSK, I'd say you should probably be able to test into Chinese 4 with some reviewing over the summer. I study with the HSK advanced book and have some grammar difficulties, but I could read and understand the assignment the guy in Chinese 4 showed me. They will have placement exams when you go. Of course, brushing up over the summer will be helpful.

As to your questions about how it is taught in US institutions, classes are usually taught in English at lower levels, which I personally think places the students at a disadvantage in terms of speaking. As you progress, classes are taught more in Mandarin. But, if I were you, and what I plan to do, is to work on my reading. Try reading books, scholarly articles, the newspaper and things like that in Chinese. Also, if you can't already read traditional characters, you might want to start working on that. But honestly, with you passing HSK 8, I think you'll be fine!

Edited by haowanr

Hi gumbikim, I visited UW last week and got to meet some of the current china studies students. They showed me what they are working on in language class. If you got an 8 on the HSK, I'd say you should probably be able to test into Chinese 4 with some reviewing over the summer. I study with the HSK advanced book and have some grammar difficulties, but I could read and understand the assignment the guy in Chinese 4 showed me. They will have placement exams when you go. Of course, brushing up over the summer will be helpful.

As to your questions about how it is taught in US institutions, classes are usually taught in English at lower levels, which I personally think places the students at a disadvantage in terms of speaking. As you progress, classes are taught more in Mandarin. But, if I were you, and what I plan to do, is to work on my reading. Try reading books, scholarly articles, the newspaper and things like that in Chinese. Also, if you can't already read traditional characters, you might want to start working on that. But honestly, with you passing HSK 8, I think you'll be fine!

Thanks a lot Haowanr ^^

So are you going to attend UW?

Oh gee..I have so many questions !!

I have a harder time reading traditional characters (although I can sometimes guess if they look similar to the simplified ones).

Is there a textbook that you would recommend for me Haowanr? I've never studied with Chinese books that use

traditional characters before!

And I haven't practiced writing essays in Chinese since 2004 so..I guess I might have to attend some classes

in Korea for my essay writing.. or do you think I should go on and study with the HSK advanced books like you?

I don't know how to look up Chinese scholarly articles and how to get access to Chinese books, yet.

Do you think they'd teach us at grad school or would I have to learn on my own?

Once again, Thanks for the useful info, Haowanr smile.gif

• 4 months later...

Can you share any information about your undergrad gpa/gre scores? I will also be applying to Yale's EAS program. Like you I have several years of experience within East Asia(China). I think most of my app is very strong but I am worried about some very poor grades in undergrad econ/math/science courses that weigh down my gpa along with a low gre quant score (my research interests for the MA are not related to economics).

Thanks,

IMN

Hm, from what I hear each class varies quite a bit, as it is a small program. In recent years, there have been PhD-bound students, and there have been students who went on to careers in government, international relations (foreign service and non-profit), education, the arts, etc.

I really lucked out in being admitted - my undergrad record was less than stellar, not at all focused, and had very little to do with East Asia. I did bring many years of life and work experience in Asia to the table, though, which I guess is mainly what got me through the door (along with lots of good luck). I get the sense I was something of an exception. Most other students seemed to fit more closely into the mold of the recent grad of an East Asian field - poli sci, anthro, history, EALC/EAS - with maybe just a few years study/work abroad experience.

I will say the one major drawback of the Yale program (if funding is not a problem), is that it is only one year long. This means, if you want to advance directly into a PhD program afterwards, you'll have to apply and ask for recommendations before your first term is over, and before your new professors have had a chance to really get to know you. There are always some people who do that, and appear to succeed, but it's extremely stressful.