Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

Seeing the 2009 thread get posted to inspired me.

i'm applying for EALC/EALL PhD to:

columbia - yale - ucla - usc (also applying to history at usc)

so far those are the only places that have really matched with my interests -- i'd like to find a less competitive program that i match with but haven't had much luck.

i know there's more of you out there -- lets hear it!

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at the M.A. programs at Harvard, Duke, Yale, Stanford, and maybe a few other schools. I want to study East Asian philosophy and had originally planned to apply to philosophy Ph.D. programs this year, but after realizing just how hard it will be to find a well-ranked match for my interests in that field, I decided to look at EAS programs. I just made this decision pretty recently, though, so I haven't read as much about these programs as I have about those in philosophy. Does anybody have any details on admissions stats and/or funding offers? Duke reports that they admit almost 60% of applicants to their program, and I read somewhere (not on their own website) that Harvard admits close to the same. I was really [pleasantly] surprised by this, especially considering the competitiveness of philo. programs (many accepting only 3-6% of applicants). Can anyone confirm that I'm not completely off on these stats? Also, is there any ranking of EAS programs similar to the PGR report in philosophy? Any useful links or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at the M.A. programs at Harvard, Duke, Yale, Stanford, and maybe a few other schools. I want to study East Asian philosophy and had originally planned to apply to philosophy Ph.D. programs this year, but after realizing just how hard it will be to find a well-ranked match for my interests in that field, I decided to look at EAS programs. I just made this decision pretty recently, though, so I haven't read as much about these programs as I have about those in philosophy. Does anybody have any details on admissions stats and/or funding offers? Duke reports that they admit almost 60% of applicants to their program, and I read somewhere (not on their own website) that Harvard admits close to the same. I was really [pleasantly] surprised by this, especially considering the competitiveness of philo. programs (many accepting only 3-6% of applicants). Can anyone confirm that I'm not completely off on these stats? Also, is there any ranking of EAS programs similar to the PGR report in philosophy? Any useful links or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I don't think rankings would be informative for East Asian Studies at all. The 'field' is much too dispersed, rather a conglomeration of different disciplines. One can speak of stronger schools with broader faculty and language support and longer histories of involvement in the field, but ranks will differ according to your needs. You are better off doing as you have done, locating programs and faculty that match your interests.

Funding is always an issue at the MA level for EAS. It's there, but maybe for < 25% of applicants. You'd be lucky to get tuition remission at Harvard; they typically make a first round of 'financially blind' half-acceptances, but then they tell you that they can't officially admit you unless you have the means to pay for it (translation, please divulge any other financial resources or rich relatives that you may have neglected to mention). FLAS and other fellowships are available at many schools, but those are competitive and cross-disciplinary funds.

If you're interested in EA philosophy, then Berkeley (Csikszentmihalyi), Hawaii (Ames), and Indiana (Eno, Stalnaker) should all be on your list. Stanford (Yearley, Lewis) would be fine for you too. Harvard (Puett) would be okay, not sure about Duke though. Getting into a program shouldn't be too difficult, but, as you seem to be aware, obtaining funding is tough. Admissions becomes much more competitive in EA studies at the PhD level.

• 4 weeks later...

really i just want to bump this post so we don't get split between this and the other one about East Asian stuff...

anyway, i've heard from two schools now by phone -- just calling to get more info about me and my application. sounds like the process is in full swing, but it's unlikely formal acceptances will come out before the second week of Feb.

Hearing from schools is really a good sign. Sadly, I have not heard from any school.

May I ask which two school?

anyway, i've heard from two schools now by phone -- just calling to get more info about me and my application. sounds like the process is in full swing, but it's unlikely formal acceptances will come out before the second week of Feb.

Hearing from schools is really a good sign. Sadly, I have not heard from any school.

May I ask which two school?

so far UCLA and Yale have contacted me by phone. discussion was positive, but i got the impression that Yale was just trying to evaluate how well i would fit in their program. UCLA said my application is slogging through the bureaucratic mire of departmental admissions and i should hear from them mid-Feb.

it was nice to hear from them, but i wouldn't put too much stock in it. at the end of the day, you're either in or you're not, and they've yet to tell me either way.

Hi all!

Just joined today!

I've applied to UC Berkeley, UW-Seattle and Michigan, Ann Arbor

Only 3 schools ...

Can't seem to find many faculty who have the same research interests as mine

Planning to re-apply if I don't get into any program

Best of luck to everyone! smile.gif

Edited by gumbikim

Was anyone else hoping to hear back from Berkeley's M.A. program last week (based on when they made decisions the past couple years)? Ahh...I hate the waiting...

Tugou and Diegothedreadful, thanks for the tips earlier on Chinese philosophy!

I was and still am..

Am constantly checking my mail box and e-mail account...

Practically going nuts..

But am not really counting on getting in though..

Still..it would be nice to hear at least "something" from them

Me, too. I am becoming impatient and can hardly concentrate on thesis writing.

I am applying to the Japanese programs though.

Am constantly checking my mail box and e-mail account...

Practically going nuts..

But am not really counting on getting in though..

Still..it would be nice to hear at least "something" from them

Edited by syakai59

Me, too. I am becoming impatient and can hardly concentrate on thesis writing.

I am applying to the Japanese programs though.

I have the exact same problem. The one that is really distracting me is Harvard's RSEA. I know from the results search that any day now I could hear something, so...I can't stop checking.

I have the exact same problem. The one that is really distracting me is Harvard's RSEA. I know from the results search that any day now I could hear something, so...I can't stop checking.

Same here~~~~I looked up the last year admission. It seems like RSEA will send their decisions around Feb 15th. Well...I can not wait,just let me know the decision....

Got an email from Michigan ALC with a rejection letter attached. . .not quite the way I wanted to start the process. It stings more than I thought it would. sigh.

Sorry to hear about Michigan. :(

Your signature says you've been referred to two MAs. Was one of those Yale? I got referred to the East Asian Studies MA from Political Science. How much of a chance do you think we stand? I'd really really like to think they wouldn't do that to us if we weren't very competitive for it. So nervous.

Good luck with the rest of your apps too!

Sorry to hear about Michigan. :(

Your signature says you've been referred to two MAs. Was one of those Yale? I got referred to the East Asian Studies MA from Political Science. How much of a chance do you think we stand? I'd really really like to think they wouldn't do that to us if we weren't very competitive for it. So nervous.

Good luck with the rest of your apps too!

Yes! it was Yale! The DGS of the EALL program called me to tell me that they liked me but wanted to refer me to the MA program to get a few more courses under my belt. She has also sent me several personal emails and put me in touch with two students, so I would think they only do that if they are really really confident that you will get in the MA program. It's so nice to talk to someone who is in the same boat! Hopefully we will both get in, as Yale is by far my top choice! (my dream school). The other was Harvard, who sent me a letter saying that they couldn't accept me into the PhD program but that the adcomm thought I should be considered for the RSEA MA . . . didn't sound as enthusiastic

Michigan was near the bottom of my list of preferences, but it still is no fun to get rejections. . .Good luck to you too!

Edited by waldrop