Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

I got admission from UW too. One of professors told me that there is only one fellowship each year for new coming students,

so I applied the TA position.There would be an interview for TA next week.

Anyone ease has funding information?

By the way, my field is Japanese literature.

Hello! Maybe we'll end up there together in UW! I'll be studying South Asian Literature. The funding situation does seem a bit weird, the graduate counsellor also asked me to apply for a TA position and they said they'll only know the results by May. That would be unfortunate, because I've got two fellowship offers from UMinn and Purdue so far, which are pressuring me for responses by or even before April 15.

I also get the feeling that they've taken one person for each field this year, i.e. Japanese, South Asian, Chinese and Korean.

Thanks, I'm very excited. I graduated from a top liberal arts school in the US with double-majors in Chinese and Philosophy, have taken the last 2 years off to live in Taiwan (first in a Buddhist monastery and then as an English teacher/interpreter), and now want to combine my majors and study Chinese Philosophy and Comparative Philosophy (i.e., taking an East-West approach). I applied to M.A. programs in EAS this year to give myself a chance to decide which department (probably EALC or Religion,, as the majority of philosophy departments have no interest in Asia) will ultimately best accomodate my interests for a Ph.D. I have 4 years of Chinese training in university (including half a year in Taiwan) plus the 2 years living abroad, and I also read French, Spanish, and some German. My GPA and GRE verbal and writing scores were high; my GRE math score was quite low. I don't have that much in the way of publications or conferences.

Keep your head up, Gumbikim, and I'm sure everything will work out for you smile.gif

Wow! Chinese AND French, Spanish, German...!! That's quite a lot of languages you got there !

Thanks for sharing the info and wish you all the best at Berkeley biggrin.gif

Edited by gumbikim

I got admission from UW too. One of professors told me that there is only one fellowship each year for new coming students,

so I applied the TA position.There would be an interview for TA next week.

Anyone ease has funding information?

By the way, my field is Japanese literature.

Congratulations ! biggrin.gif

Wish you all the best at UW as well !

I am still waiting for other results (Columbia, Yale, Stanford), but I don't think they will work out :(

If we will not know the funding information until May, that would be too bad.

But since you already have two fellowship offers, you don't need to worry. Congratulations!

I think fellowship is far more better than TAship.

Are you sure they only took one person for each field?

It seems that they have a lot of graduate students in Chinese program, but much fewer in Japanese program.

Do you know how their department is? Frankly, I know little about it.

Hello! Maybe we'll end up there together in UW! I'll be studying South Asian Literature. The funding situation does seem a bit weird, the graduate counsellor also asked me to apply for a TA position and they said they'll only know the results by May. That would be unfortunate, because I've got two fellowship offers from UMinn and Purdue so far, which are pressuring me for responses by or even before April 15.

I also get the feeling that they've taken one person for each field this year, i.e. Japanese, South Asian, Chinese and Korean.

I am still waiting for other results (Columbia, Yale, Stanford), but I don't think they will work out :(

If we will not know the funding information until May, that would be too bad.

But since you already have two fellowship offers, you don't need to worry. Congratulations!

I think fellowship is far more better than TAship.

Are you sure they only took one person for each field?

It seems that they have a lot of graduate students in Chinese program, but much fewer in Japanese program.

Do you know how their department is? Frankly, I know little about it.

I'm also waiting for a couple of results still, like Columbia MEALAC and UChicago but I doubt they will work out either. I've also applied to a few places for Comp Lit, one of whom (Purdue) has accepted me. But my languages are Hindi, Bengali, Sanskrit and most Comp Lit schools are just eurocentric, so I'm not expecting any more. Also, please don't take my word on the funding by May thing, it may only be for South Asian Studies. I am also speculating about the one person per subject area thing to make myself feel good :P

As for the reputation of UW, I have heard they're very very good. I am in School of Oriental and African Studies London where I take a class with a lot of students doing an MA in Chinese or Japanese literature and they were all quite excited when I told them of my acceptance. I also love the idea of living in Seattle but yeah, the funding thing, at least for my area seems a bit out of funk. Have you got an official acceptance letter/ email yet? Because I've just exchanged a couple of mails with the counsellor of the department, who told me about my acceptance and funding prospects.

Also, I am really hoping that getting into UW was significantly tough, so I stand a chance at my other programs. I'm sure you feel the same way :)

Thank you. But I still don't know the funding information and am not sure whether I will go.

Do you know how their programs are?

Well,,, in fact I don't know a lot about how their programs are run or anything in detail.

The reason I applied to UW was because the professors' research interests

coincided with mine. Plus, a professor I know who teaches Chinese Area Studies

in Korea was there for about a year as an exchange professor and he told

me that the programs there are pretty sturdy and the campus is quite

lovely. I didn't know UW was really competitive to get into because most Koreans

who apply to Asian Studies or East Asian Studies programs only praise

top schools like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and so on. My former academic

advisor from the grad school I attended for about a year in Korea suggested

I apply to Harvard, but refused to write a recommendation for me. He was

at Yenching last year sleep.gif. I still can't understand his intentions..

Harvard's too expensive for me anyways. Considering

my personal circumstances and research interests, I applied to only

public schools. I don't know much about the Japanese Studies field so

I won't be able to comment on that one. Sorry ~~

If anyone knows anything about the programs at Ohio State University

and the University of Hawaii at Manoa

I'd appreciate it if you tell me anything about them..~

Edited by gumbikim

Thank you for the information.

I received an email from the counsellor. He said the official letter will be sent this week.

I'm also waiting for a couple of results still, like Columbia MEALAC and UChicago but I doubt they will work out either. I've also applied to a few places for Comp Lit, one of whom (Purdue) has accepted me. But my languages are Hindi, Bengali, Sanskrit and most Comp Lit schools are just eurocentric, so I'm not expecting any more. Also, please don't take my word on the funding by May thing, it may only be for South Asian Studies. I am also speculating about the one person per subject area thing to make myself feel good :P

As for the reputation of UW, I have heard they're very very good. I am in School of Oriental and African Studies London where I take a class with a lot of students doing an MA in Chinese or Japanese literature and they were all quite excited when I told them of my acceptance. I also love the idea of living in Seattle but yeah, the funding thing, at least for my area seems a bit out of funk. Have you got an official acceptance letter/ email yet? Because I've just exchanged a couple of mails with the counsellor of the department, who told me about my acceptance and funding prospects.

Also, I am really hoping that getting into UW was significantly tough, so I stand a chance at my other programs. I'm sure you feel the same way :)

Thank you for your useful information.

About Ohio state, I heard that they are good at finding jobs for their students :)

Well,,, in fact I don't know a lot about how their programs are run or anything in detail.

The reason I applied to UW was because the professors' research interests

coincided with mine. Plus, a professor I know who teaches Chinese Area Studies

in Korea was there for about a year as an exchange professor and he told

me that the programs there are pretty sturdy and the campus is quite

lovely. I didn't know UW was really competitive to get into because most Koreans

who apply to Asian Studies or East Asian Studies programs only praise

top schools like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and so on. My former academic

advisor from the grad school I attended for about a year in Korea suggested

I apply to Harvard, but refused to write a recommendation for me. He was

at Yenching last year sleep.gif. I still can't understand his intentions..

Harvard's too expensive for me anyways. Considering

my personal circumstances and research interests, I applied to only

public schools. I don't know much about the Japanese Studies field so

I won't be able to comment on that one. Sorry ~~

If anyone knows anything about the programs at Ohio State University

and the University of Hawaii at Manoa

I'd appreciate it if you tell me anything about them..~

Anyone applying to UCLA?

yah -- i spoke with a faculty member there a few weeks ago who said the adcom would be meeting (what he thought was) this week to make decisions. hopefully we'll hear before the week is out! (i bet we'll be waiting even longer for funding information though)

yah -- i spoke with a faculty member there a few weeks ago who said the adcom would be meeting (what he thought was) this week to make decisions. hopefully we'll hear before the week is out! (i bet we'll be waiting even longer for funding information though)

thanks for the info-- the wait is agonizing now that decisions have started to come out. i guess you are feeling secure though, since you were accepted at yale and columbia already (congratulations). may i ask if you know any details about the yale decisions (# of students accepted, dept. funding situation etc.)? i applied to yale as well, but haven't heard anything. i'm expecting the worst, as i imagine that even if i'm somehow on the waitlist, the chances of being bumped up aren't that great, but it would still be nice to have a better idea of the situation.

wow, you are accepted by Columbia and Yale! Congratulations!

I also applied these two but have not heard anything. I guess this means I have no chance.

break my heart.

Would you mind sharing your background?

I am wondering what I am lack of.

Thank you!

Edited by syakai59

may i ask if you know any details about the yale decisions (# of students accepted, dept. funding situation etc.)? i applied to yale as well, but haven't heard anything. i'm expecting the worst, as i imagine that even if i'm somehow on the waitlist, the chances of being bumped up aren't that great, but it would still be nice to have a better idea of the situation.

honestly no, i don't know anything about the number of admits, etc. the information i received indicated i'd be getting the standard fellowship pack that all Ph.D students get.

it's definitely way too early to count yourself out anywhere. offers come from a totally different office based on the department's recommendations, and i'm sure there are people that don't get contacted in advance. it will probably be a bit before the Graduate School Dean starts sending out the formal admissions letters.

wow, you are accepted by Columbia and Yale! Congratulations!

I also applied these two but have not heard anything. I guess this means I have no chance.

break my heart.

Would you mind sharing your background?

I am wondering what I am lack of.

Thank you!

it's still waaaay too early to know! (last year someone got their acceptance from Columbia on March 2!)

Anyone applying to UCLA?

I'm applying to UCLA, but in History with an East Asian focus. I've applied to other universities in Asian Studies, so I'm monitoring both boards, and wondering whether my application is getting passed around at all. Any news from EAS yet? I'm still worried about whether I should have applied for History or EAS...if EAS lets out their results sooner, I'll have my answer!

Has anyone heard anything lately from/about Harvard RSEA?

I didn't apply to Harvard, so nope! But to those of you who applied to Michigan.. in case you're wondering..

I called Carol Stepanchuk yesterday and she said the results for "M.A. Asian Studies: China" will be out

around March 15th.

Edited by gumbikim

I got an acceptance for OSU. They don't directly admit students into the PhD program, so I've been admitted into the MA and can apply for the PhD at the end of the first year of my MA if so I wish.

Thanks ^^ I just saw your posting.

Congrats on your getting into OSU smile.gif

I just called Harvard RSEA. They said the decisions will be made in couple of weeks.

Pray~~~~~~~~~

Wow, it seemed like things moved faster last year. Decisions made in a couple weeks? So we're not finding out until March basically?