Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

Wow, I was told specifically that I will know by Mid-March. So I guess I can safely assume I'm out. Could you share your profile in any case?

No. That doesn't mean you are not in. You will hear in 2 weeks. I called the DGS myself, so you just go ahead and call him on Monday. Don't wait for them to write you. And then let us hear some good news.

Washington is wonderful. Especially if you are interested in gender and sexuality, and Turkish studies U Washington is one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

Washington is not promising me funding, so well. Minnesota is my most likely option currently, they've offered me a solid and safe package. What's your area of work FDT?

Washington is not promising me funding, so well. Minnesota is my most likely option currently, they've offered me a solid and safe package. What's your area of work FDT?

I work on contemporary art in the Middle East. I am already at Minnesota, so if you come here I'll see you. ALL at Minnesota is a very well-respected program. They also have a very close relation with the department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature that is a wonderful program. The reason why I applied to Columbia was that I wanted to work with scholars who work on Iran. But if you are doing south Asia, Minnesota is a wonderful place, I assure you. One of the professors in the History department is Ajay Skaria, one of the founders of Subaltern Studies. At ALL also they have professor Simona Sawhney, who is a wonderful thinker. The problem for me is that Minnesota is very much into South Asian studies and no Middle East unfortunately.

I think it is odd. I don't have much experience in this area but I feel like most schools would just wait till Monday. Strange

I guess it's better than the alternative, which is making us wait longer. Parts of Harvard are famous for that. However, the results search shows a 9 day span for acceptances sent out last year, for whatever that's worth.

Yeah the Harvard email was sent on Sunday morning...ironically, as I'm pretty obsessive about checking for notifications usually, and this was probably the one time I didn't expect to get anything. They said they made the decision Friday and wanted to let me know as soon as possible. I don't know whether all the acceptances went out at the same time or not, so don't give up if you're still waiting!

Yeah the Harvard email was sent on Sunday morning...ironically, as I'm pretty obsessive about checking for notifications usually, and this was probably the one time I didn't expect to get anything. They said they made the decision Friday and wanted to let me know as soon as possible. I don't know whether all the acceptances went out at the same time or not, so don't give up if you're still waiting!

Congrats!

I also applied to Michigan, Indiana, Washington, and Hawaii

Hi, i applied to Michigan as well.

Did you apply to the "m.a. asian studies : china" program and are you native Chinese?

Also, can I ask you what field you are interested in?

Just like to know what type of competition I'm in for..

As for me..I'm native Korean~

Congrats! Have you decided on which school to go to?

Hi, i applied to Michigan as well.

Did you apply to the "m.a. asian studies : china" program and are you native Chinese?

Also, can I ask you what field you are interested in?

Just like to know what type of competition I'm in for..

As for me..I'm native Korean~

I am not native Chinese or Chinese American. I do, however, speak Mandarin and am in the middle of my second semester of Japanese. I did apply to m.a. asian studies: China. I am interested in China's ethnic minorities.

By the way, I saw that someone posted an acceptance to Indiana for the MA. I was accepted, too. Will you attend?

Edited by haowanr

I see that there was one rejection (i feel your pain) and one acceptance today for RSEA. If anyone is willing to answer, were you notified by a professor with whom you had previous contact, the Director, or someone else? Basically, were these generic emails or personal? If you have any other info, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

I see that there was one rejection (i feel your pain) and one acceptance today for RSEA. If anyone is willing to answer, were you notified by a professor with whom you had previous contact, the Director, or someone else? Basically, were these generic emails or personal? If you have any other info, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

I'm curious as well. Based on the results last year, it looks like RSEA acceptances and rejections don't come out at once, but rather one by one over a period of a week or so, which strikes me as odd, as does first acceptances coming out on a Sunday. I'd love to hear if anyone has any insight into the process or pertinent information. Thanks!

I am not native Chinese or Chinese American. I do, however, speak Mandarin and am in the middle of my second semester of Japanese. I did apply to m.a. asian studies: China. I am interested in China's ethnic minorities.

By the way, I saw that someone posted an acceptance to Indiana for the MA. I was accepted, too. Will you attend?

I'm interested in China's politics and society.

The content of all of the SOPs I wrote slightly differs according to the schools' faculty

I can receive guidance from.

I've only applied to Berkeley, Univ. of Washington, and Univ. of Michigan and

have already been rejected from Berkeley.

I'm still waiting for UW and Michigan's results though.

I think I have a stronger chance at Michigan, but you never know.

Still, am having my fingers crossed!

Hope you hear some good news from Washington and Michigan as well

and congrats on getting accepted into Indiana !!

Edited by gumbikim

I'm interested in China's politics and society.

The content of all of the SOPs I wrote slightly differs according to the schools' faculty

I can receive guidance from.

I've only applied to Berkeley, Univ. of Washington, and Univ. of Michigan and

have already been rejected from Berkeley.

I'm still waiting for UW and Michigan's results though.

I think I have a stronger chance at Michigan, but you never know.

Still, am having my fingers crossed!

Hope you hear some good news from Washington and Michigan as well!

I have been accepted to U Mich as well. I found out 2 Sunday's ago.

We're both waiting on Washington it seems. I'm so anxious. Hope you get in to your first choice!

Edited by haowanr

I have been accepted to U Mich as well. I found out 2 Sunday's ago.

We're both waiting on Washington it seems. I'm so anxious. Hope you get in to your first choice!

Did Carol notify you? That's strange cuz she told me that results would be out around March 15th or so.

Or does this mean that I'm out sleep.gif

Well...my language recommender sent his recommendation pretty late..

around February 17th or 18th probably..

That may be the reason my admission review is taking so long..

Do you know if the decisions have been finalized or not?

Anyways congrats !!!

Michigan is such a great school~ !!!

Edited by gumbikim