Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

Got an email from RSEA. I'm in. They're personal, which may be which they don't all come out at once, so good luck to those waiting!

Did you get in MEALAC too? Well I guess you work on East Asia, so MEALAC is not quite up your alley. Congrats. Do you know anybody who is dropping from MEALAC in order to go to Harvard or Princeton? :D That is how desperately I am waiting for people to get into wonderful places to drop from MEALAC. LOL

Edited by FDT

Got an email from RSEA. I'm in. They're personal, which may be which they don't all come out at once, so good luck to those waiting!

Oh! BTW, is this a PhD program? Is it joint with another department or they offer a PhD program at RSEA?

Oh! BTW, is this a PhD program? Is it joint with another department or they offer a PhD program at RSEA?

I don't know about MEALAC, though ironically that's my other region/language. RSEA only offers Masters, I believe.

I don't know about MEALAC, though ironically that's my other region/language. RSEA only offers Masters, I believe.

I know this isn't the city page but I live in Cambridge. I'd be happy to answers questions you may have with the area if you are not familiar with it already.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

:( sorry to hear that, titania! but at least you're sitting on acceptances from Washington and Minnesota! and those two aren't schools to sneeze at, as they say. maybe our collective willpower will get Columbia to send out their decisions quicker, hahaha.

I saw somebody in the results page got into Yale's East Asian Studies. Did they say when decisions will come out, or numbers of applicants? Any details would be appreciated. Im dying here ... tongue.gif

I wrote my POI in the EALL dept (who had previously referred my app to the MA program) and she checked for me. Apparently there were 106 applicants and 4 received funding, she didn't say how many were accepted.

Best of luck! Hope we are classmates!

Does anyone know when the Columbia MARSEA or UPenn MA in EALC admissions results will be out?

Hey guys, I am new here... Does anyone know when results for Columbia MARSEA or MA in UPenn EALC will be out? Anyone applying for these programs?

I wrote my POI in the EALL dept (who had previously referred my app to the MA program) and she checked for me. Apparently there were 106 applicants and 4 received funding, she didn't say how many were accepted.

Best of luck! Hope we are classmates!

Hey~I just got admitted to EA @ Yale too~ Good to see you here^_^

Do you know if there is any chance to get fellowship? I was only informed that there are "few" fundings this year...

Hey~I just got admitted to EA @ Yale too~ Good to see you here^_^

Do you know if there is any chance to get fellowship? I was only informed that there are "few" fundings this year...

I was told by my POI I was admitted without funding but I haven't gotten the email from the department yet. The students I talked to that went said they had to take out loans to cover most of it but that it was totally worth it. Apparently very few people get any funding. I applied for a FLAS fellowship that would cover about half, but I don't know if I will get it, and the deadline is past. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get some funding but I think I am going either way. Might we be classmates? What are you hoping to go for?

I was told by my POI I was admitted without funding but I haven't gotten the email from the department yet. The students I talked to that went said they had to take out loans to cover most of it but that it was totally worth it. Apparently very few people get any funding. I applied for a FLAS fellowship that would cover about half, but I don't know if I will get it, and the deadline is past. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get some funding but I think I am going either way. Might we be classmates? What are you hoping to go for?

I think there will be a good chance that we will be classmates^_^ But this financial thing is very headaching... I am a international student so the FLAS is not available to me... I don't know if there will be any opportunities like TA or tuition cut?

So you know other guys who is also admitted? Do you know how many potential classmates out there?

Congratulations! I may be able to see you there. I am considering accepting the offer from them. I am in the Japanese PhD program, but I am Chinese :)

I just heard from UWSTL. I got accepted to MA-Chinese Studies!!! Its my first choice :)

I just heard from UWSTL. I got accepted to MA-Chinese Studies!!! Its my first choice smile.gif

Congrats ! biggrin.gif

So are you definitely going to decline Michigan?

(Too bad Lieberthal retired. I really wanted to take

one of his courses..hmm)

Can I ask when you sent your application material?

I sent all of mine one day before the deadline date for Michigan

and on the deadline date for Washington so..

I guess my application documents would probably be reviewed the latest..

But still... This waiting is like really agonizing~and

I haven't heard anything from UW and Michigan.

Congrats ! biggrin.gif

So are you definitely going to decline Michigan?

(Too bad Lieberthal retired. I really wanted to take

one of his courses..hmm)

Can I ask when you sent your application material?

I sent all of mine one day before the deadline date for Michigan

and on the deadline date for Washington so..

I guess my application documents would probably be reviewed the latest..

But still... This waiting is like really agonizing~and

I haven't heard anything from UW and Michigan.

I am most likely going to decline Michigan. It was lower on my list. I sent my application materials on the deadline day for each school I applied to besides Hawaii. From what I understand of the admissions process (I work at a university and my boss is on the admissions committee), they collect materials and look at them all together for one program at a date a couple weeks out from when they are actually due. Maybe you haven't heard because, at least for Washington, they came in the mail and your letter has a lot farther to travel. I would call or email Michigan. Good luck and I hope you get some good news soon!

I am most likely going to decline Michigan. It was lower on my list. I sent my application materials on the deadline day for each school I applied to besides Hawaii. From what I understand of the admissions process (I work at a university and my boss is on the admissions committee), they collect materials and look at them all together for one program at a date a couple weeks out from when they are actually due. Maybe you haven't heard because, at least for Washington, they came in the mail and your letter has a lot farther to travel. I would call or email Michigan. Good luck and I hope you get some good news soon!

Thanks for the info Haowanr!

Michigan is higher on my list, so..if you can,..

Could you decline Michigan as soon as you can? sad.gif

I e-mailed Michigan, but haven't received a reply.

I'm trying to keep my hopes up high by telling myself

that things are going pretty sluggish for me

since my language recommendation arrived at Michigan

around the time you received Michigan's acceptance.

(My other materials arrived on the deadline or just

a little past)

Has your status changed on the woverline website?

Edited by gumbikim

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you think it's worth doing an unfunded MA in EALL. It seems that many people here have completed or are applying to MA programs, so I'm interested to know what you think. My academic goal is to earn a PhD and teach, but I didn't get into a PhD program this year. My only option at the moment is to go with an unfunded MA, which means I'm looking at the mind-boggling amount of about $100,000 for the two years. I have no money myself, so I'm going to have to ask my parents to take out a line of credit on their house. Moreover, realistically speaking, an MA in EALL has little marketability in and outside of academia. And as there are no guarantees that I'll be accepted into a PhD program afterwards, I'm worried that in two years, I'll be that much older, saddled with $100,000 in debt, and with no improved career marketability in or outside of academia. I don't what to do.