Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

Yes! it was Yale! The DGS of the EALL program called me to tell me that they liked me but wanted to refer me to the MA program to get a few more courses under my belt. She has also sent me several personal emails and put me in touch with two students, so I would think they only do that if they are really really confident that you will get in the MA program. It's so nice to talk to someone who is in the same boat! Hopefully we will both get in, as Yale is by far my top choice! (my dream school). The other was Harvard, who sent me a letter saying that they couldn't accept me into the PhD program but that the adcomm thought I should be considered for the RSEA MA . . . didn't sound as enthusiastic

Michigan was near the bottom of my list of preferences, but it still is no fun to get rejections. . .Good luck to you too!

Woooow,you guys are really owesome. Congs~~~~

Yes! it was Yale! The DGS of the EALL program called me to tell me that they liked me but wanted to refer me to the MA program to get a few more courses under my belt. She has also sent me several personal emails and put me in touch with two students, so I would think they only do that if they are really really confident that you will get in the MA program. It's so nice to talk to someone who is in the same boat! Hopefully we will both get in, as Yale is by far my top choice! (my dream school). The other was Harvard, who sent me a letter saying that they couldn't accept me into the PhD program but that the adcomm thought I should be considered for the RSEA MA . . . didn't sound as enthusiastic

Michigan was near the bottom of my list of preferences, but it still is no fun to get rejections. . .Good luck to you too!

Oh wow, that's really awesome, especially about putting you in touch with some students! That's definitely sounding hopeful for you. My Yale e-mail sounded a bit more like your Harvard e-mail but it was from the DGS of PolSci so we're dealing with different people. Yale is also my dream school so it would be great if we ended up being classmates there! :D I will pass on any information I might find out to you.

Accepted to Penn! But they've apparently accepted 10 people and only 3 get fellowships, so it's like being half-accepted (who does a PhD without full funding? That's what I want to know!) Anyone else out there?

I also applied to the Harvard EALC PhD program, but haven't received a response yet. Should I take this to mean that I didn't get in? :( Is it at all possible I might be on a wait-list or is that simply wishful thinking?

I received an acceptance to the OSU DEALL MA program, although funding is not finalized yet.

I'm also wondering: is it common practice for schools to send out admissions offers, but without finalized funding details? (This is what I've observed for OSU and Harvard so far.) Is the point of this to secure their first-choice students? I would think that the lack of finalized funding would be an obstacle to students committing to a program, however.

Edited by alexicon

Same here~~~~I looked up the last year admission. It seems like RSEA will send their decisions around Feb 15th. Well...I can not wait,just let me know the decision....

same here too. I don't think I have the chance to be admitted to Harvard RSEA Chinese Studies, but still feel anxious about the result.

wish you all best luck.

Hey guys, first time posting! Just wondering if anybody knows whether interviews are normally part of the application for MAs. I've applied to the 1yr programs at Columbia, Stanford and Yale, and I would assume that since they're not going to be spending 5 years with you like in a phd they probably don't bother. Anybody have any insight? Anybody who applied straight to the MA programs calls? Should I be preparing?

As far as I know, there is no interview, not even for most of PhD programs (I could be wrong).

But it seems that a lot of people got call from Yale.

Anyone knows more?

Hey guys, first time posting! Just wondering if anybody knows whether interviews are normally part of the application for MAs. I've applied to the 1yr programs at Columbia, Stanford and Yale, and I would assume that since they're not going to be spending 5 years with you like in a phd they probably don't bother. Anybody have any insight? Anybody who applied straight to the MA programs calls? Should I be preparing?

I have the exact same problem. The one that is really distracting me is Harvard's RSEA. I know from the results search that any day now I could hear something, so...I can't stop checking.

I agree. From last year post, I do not think any RSEA applicant receive phone interview.

Desperately waiting for decisions here...

Well, pray for all of us for Feb 15th.....

I agree. From last year post, I do not think any RSEA applicant receive phone interview.

Desperately waiting for decisions here...

Well, pray for all of us for Feb 15th.....

Hi,, are you sure the result will come out around that time? are there any pre signs that indicate you are likely to be admitted?.... so anxious now although i think there's slim chance for me. pray for everyone.

Well...looks like someone got into Berkeley's M.A. program with partial funding (results search)...

If that person's any one of you guys please let us know if there was any word in

your e-mail if the admissions are all out or not?

Prepared for rejection (bummer writing sample and not-so-great GPA), but at the same time, really curious of the outcome ~~ ~~

I can open it, but there is nothing new in it. I don't think it means they are updating, as I encountered the similar problem to you several times before.

According to the "results search", the guy who got offer knew the result via personal email from faculty. I think it will take a while before we can see the result on the website.

I tried to check my application status on the Columbia site and it wouldn't work. . . anyone else having this problem? Is it just having technical issues or could they be updating it with decision info? I know I'm obsessing but I want to know! What are your thoughts?

Edited by syakai59

Hello!

I'm a student at the School of Oriental and African Studies, London and I've applied to Berkeley, UWashington, UMinnesota, Columbia MEALAC and UChicago this year for a PhD. So far I have offers from Minnesota and UWĀ and a sugarcoated personal rejection from my POI at Berkeley (but its still a no, sigh). I work in Hindi, Bengali and Sanskrit, and have a BA and MA in English Literature from Indian universities. I'm working on my second Masters at SOAS, United Kingdom on an international fellowship. No publications and terrible GRE scores :P

Would anyone else mind sharing stats?

Well...looks like someone got into Berkeley's M.A. program with partial funding (results search)...

If that person's any one of you guys please let us know if there was any word in

your e-mail if the admissions are all out or not?

Prepared for rejection (bummer writing sample and not-so-great GPA), but at the same time, really curious of the outcome ~~ ~~

I was the one who made the post about getting into the Group in Asian Studies at Berkeley (M.A. program). The email I got was not personalized and seemed to imply that all the admissions are out, but I don't know for sure and hopefully I'm wrong. It did say that the program received a record number of applications this year. Hope you get some good news soon.

Applied to M.A. programs (China) at Berkeley, Washington University in St. LouisĀ and Michigan.

Have a B.A. in English and International Commerce from a Korean University

(terrible ugpa 3.5/4.3 scale. didn't bother studying much back then. )

Studied one year of Chinese Area Studies at a graduate school in Korea (no degree though)

( a tad bit better ggpa 3.6 /4.3 scale. have a "C" which I wrote an addendum for..

i had my reasons so hope that helps..)

GRE verbal scores: v. 660, q. 790, w. 4.0 // v. 670, q. 660, w. 4.5

(but most international students have high GRE scores, right? so...don't know if my scores are competitive enough)

writing sample: real bummer - I hope the committee members be generous (?) and assess my

potential through my Personal Statement and SOP (which i know is most unlikely the case

since the schools i've applied to are all very competitive).

i can always try again next year sad.gif ...........

Letter of Recommendations - only one from the China Studies field

chinese language scores: i sent copies of my most recent HSK scores to all three universities.

most schools have already told me that they don't receive them..but...since my transcripts indicate

that i have never taken any formal chinese language training , i'm just praying they might consider at least

taking a look at my scores

i've been brutally true ...

any others willing to share their stats?

I was the one who made the post about getting into the Group in Asian Studies at Berkeley (M.A. program). The email I got was not personalized and seemed to imply that all the admissions are out, but I don't know for sure and hopefully I'm wrong. It did say that the program received a record number of applications this year. Hope you get some good news soon.

Congrats!! smile.gif

I wasn't really counting on getting in..but it would have been nice if they sent

some news to those who got rejected as well.

Mind sharing your stats, and could you tell us your area of focus?

From what I understand, Berkeley's decision have been made. I have been in contact with the department chair for quite a while now, so she told me when I was turned down and why. She also said that she wants to continue to informally help me in my future graduate work and congratulated me for getting into UMinnesota and UWashington, calling it the "best possible thing to happen" (!)

They may not have sent out formal mails yet because I haven't got a formal rejection, just a mail from my POI.

From what I understand, Berkeley's decision have been made. I have been in contact with the department chair for quite a while now, so she told me when I was turned down and why. She also said that she wants to continue to informally help me in my future graduate work and congratulated me for getting into UMinnesota and UWashington, calling it the "best possible thing to happen" (!)

They may not have sent out formal mails yet because I haven't got a formal rejection, just a mail from my POI.

Are we discussing Berkeley's Asian Studies MA or East Asian Languages and Cultures MA/PhD? Have both been decided?

I got admission from UW too. One of professors told me that there is only one fellowship each year for new coming students,

so I applied the TA position.There would be an interview for TA next week.

Anyone ease has funding information?

By the way, my field is Japanese literature.

Congrats!! smile.gif

I wasn't really counting on getting in..but it would have been nice if they sent

some news to those who got rejected as well.

Mind sharing your stats, and could you tell us your area of focus?

Thanks, I'm very excited. I graduated from a top liberal arts school in the US with double-majors in Chinese and Philosophy, have taken the last 2 years off to live in Taiwan (first in a Buddhist monastery and then as an English teacher/interpreter), and now want to combine my majors and study Chinese Philosophy and Comparative Philosophy (i.e., taking an East-West approach). I applied to M.A. programs in EAS this year to give myself a chance to decide which department (probably EALC or Religion,, as the majority of philosophy departments have no interest in Asia) will ultimately best accomodate my interests for a Ph.D. I have 4 years of Chinese training in university (including half a year in Taiwan) plus the 2 years living abroad, and I also read French, Spanish, and some German. My GPA and GRE verbal and writing scores were high; my GRE math score was quite low. I don't have that much in the way of publications or conferences.

Keep your head up, Gumbikim, and I'm sure everything will work out for you smile.gif