Asian Studies 2010

tenshi

Yeah, I'm really really ready to hear from Yale MA as well! Based on the last few years it looks like late feb to mid march, but I'm really hoping we find out much sooner! Yale is my first choice by far!

From what I hear they just began review of MA applications last week.

Good luck!

As one of their products, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

From what I hear they just began review of MA applications last week.

Good luck!

As one of their products, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Ooh great! That's very exciting. Hopefully we get good news and we'll be classmates, waldrop. :)

subrosa, did you do the MA? how did you fund it and what are you doing now?

Ooh great! That's very exciting. Hopefully we get good news and we'll be classmates, waldrop. :)

subrosa, did you do the MA? how did you fund it and what are you doing now?

Yup, I did the MA. It was a lot of hard work, but a wonderful experience. The faculty and students are very open, and everyone treats you like an equal. There was none of the "lesser citizen" kind of feeling some MA students get at other programs. And, of course, it was great preparation for PhD applications.

They don't advertise it a lot, but there actually is funding available. My year, most of us had some fellowship or another. They'll tell you either when you get the admission letter, or shortly thereafter. Even if you don't get a fellowship offer at the very beginning, there are still teaching opportunities around.

I'm studying in Japan now, and am returning to the PhD fold in History in the fall. (Not sure where yet, though. huh.gif)

Good luck and best wishes!!

Hey guys,

The Yale MA is also definitely at the top of my list! Although it's too bad we're a year or two too late for Jonathan Spence :(

Anyway, like the rest of you, I've been dying to get some info on the admissions stats for the MA program. Only the PhD admission stats are published, and you cant really draw any conclusions about the MA application stats from it. I know this is a very inexact comparison, but I found that Columbia Political Science program also has a stand-alone one-year MA and a PhD program. It says that the PhD program gets about 600 applications per year, while the stand-alone MA program gets just 50-75. Also, it looks like they refer more than 100 PhD applicants to the MA program! Talk about making the odds worse for the MA applicants ... http://www.columbia.edu/cu/polisci/grad/main/masters/admission.html

I know that trying to extrapolate admissions statistics at Yale East Asian studies from Columbia Poly Sci is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, but there are definitely some similarities. Given that the Yale PhD program got 64 applicants in 2009, I wonder what that means for the MA program? Anyway ... just something to take your mind off watching for the mailman :)

Hey guys,

The Yale MA is also definitely at the top of my list! Although it's too bad we're a year or two too late for Jonathan Spence :(

Anyway, like the rest of you, I've been dying to get some info on the admissions stats for the MA program. Only the PhD admission stats are published, and you cant really draw any conclusions about the MA application stats from it. I know this is a very inexact comparison, but I found that Columbia Political Science program also has a stand-alone one-year MA and a PhD program. It says that the PhD program gets about 600 applications per year, while the stand-alone MA program gets just 50-75. Also, it looks like they refer more than 100 PhD applicants to the MA program! Talk about making the odds worse for the MA applicants ... http://www.columbia..../admission.html

I know that trying to extrapolate admissions statistics at Yale East Asian studies from Columbia Poly Sci is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, but there are definitely some similarities. Given that the Yale PhD program got 64 applicants in 2009, I wonder what that means for the MA program? Anyway ... just something to take your mind off watching for the mailman :)

That's pretty interesting. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that not everyone who gets referred to an MA from political science is in East Asia. :) They could be referred to many other different MA programs so it's not like all of them are being dumped on one...unless I'm not reading that right.

Yup, I did the MA. It was a lot of hard work, but a wonderful experience. The faculty and students are very open, and everyone treats you like an equal. There was none of the "lesser citizen" kind of feeling some MA students get at other programs. And, of course, it was great preparation for PhD applications.

They don't advertise it a lot, but there actually is funding available. My year, most of us had some fellowship or another. They'll tell you either when you get the admission letter, or shortly thereafter. Even if you don't get a fellowship offer at the very beginning, there are still teaching opportunities around.

I'm studying in Japan now, and am returning to the PhD fold in History in the fall. (Not sure where yet, though. huh.gif)

Good luck and best wishes!!

Hi subrosa,

Were most of the students there preparing for PhD programs, or were they preparing for other careers? Do you know what kind of jobs your classmates got after they graduated?

Also, do you mind saying a little bit about the kind of background you had when you got in?

Thanks!

I'm applying to UCLA, but in History with an East Asian focus. I've applied to other universities in Asian Studies, so I'm monitoring both boards, and wondering whether my application is getting passed around at all. Any news from EAS yet? I'm still worried about whether I should have applied for History or EAS...if EAS lets out their results sooner, I'll have my answer!

UCLA ALC decisions are out it seems-- a couple acceptances in the results section. I didn't hear anything, so I guess I didn't get in-- really upsetting as it was my first choice. For those who did get in, would you mind sharing your stats or any info you have on the acceptance stats? I'd like to think about how I can improve my application for the future...

Edited by alexicon

honestly no, i don't know anything about the number of admits, etc. the information i received indicated i'd be getting the standard fellowship pack that all Ph.D students get.

it's definitely way too early to count yourself out anywhere. offers come from a totally different office based on the department's recommendations, and i'm sure there are people that don't get contacted in advance. it will probably be a bit before the Graduate School Dean starts sending out the formal admissions letters.

thanks. it turns out that i didn't get in as i feared...sigh. may i ask what your stats are? do you have a master's degree already? just wondering in the interest of improving my application in future years.

Hi subrosa,

Were most of the students there preparing for PhD programs, or were they preparing for other careers? Do you know what kind of jobs your classmates got after they graduated?

Also, do you mind saying a little bit about the kind of background you had when you got in?

Thanks!

Hm, from what I hear each class varies quite a bit, as it is a small program. In recent years, there have been PhD-bound students, and there have been students who went on to careers in government, international relations (foreign service and non-profit), education, the arts, etc.

I really lucked out in being admitted - my undergrad record was less than stellar, not at all focused, and had very little to do with East Asia. I did bring many years of life and work experience in Asia to the table, though, which I guess is mainly what got me through the door (along with lots of good luck). I get the sense I was something of an exception. Most other students seemed to fit more closely into the mold of the recent grad of an East Asian field - poli sci, anthro, history, EALC/EAS - with maybe just a few years study/work abroad experience.

I will say the one major drawback of the Yale program (if funding is not a problem), is that it is only one year long. This means, if you want to advance directly into a PhD program afterwards, you'll have to apply and ask for recommendations before your first term is over, and before your new professors have had a chance to really get to know you. There are always some people who do that, and appear to succeed, but it's extremely stressful.

UCLA ALC decisions are out it seems-- a couple acceptances in the results section. I didn't hear anything, so I guess I didn't get in-- really upsetting as it was my first choice. For those who did get in, would you mind sharing your stats or any info you have on the acceptance stats? I'd like to think about how I can improve my application for the future...

I got into this program with full funding. I'm an international student (BA abroad, MA in the US) fluent in the research language, so I think that might have been a plus. Also, having an MA seems advantageous. Two years ago I was rejected everywhere, but now with an MA from a pretty good school, I have already received offers from my top 3 choices besides UCLA. In addition, my MA studies enabled me to work with probably one of the biggest names in my field and get a pretty strong LOR from him. What is more, my MA studies helped me polish my research agenda and write a very well-received SOP.

I think numerical stats such as GRE scores and GPAs alone are not decisive. Although my GRE score is pretty high(above 1500) and GPA as well(around 3.9), they did not get me anywhere 2 years ago. If you are willing to put one or two years into an MA (if you don't have one already), polish your research topic and SOP, and work hard to impress a big name in your field for a strong LOR, I'm sure you will be able to get into any program you want.

I'm not sure if this answer is helpful, but if you perhaps share a bit more of your own stats, I might be able to help a bit more.

I got into this program with full funding. I'm an international student (BA abroad, MA in the US) fluent in the research language, so I think that might have been a plus. Also, having an MA seems advantageous. Two years ago I was rejected everywhere, but now with an MA from a pretty good school, I have already received offers from my top 3 choices besides UCLA. In addition, my MA studies enabled me to work with probably one of the biggest names in my field and get a pretty strong LOR from him. What is more, my MA studies helped me polish my research agenda and write a very well-received SOP.

I think numerical stats such as GRE scores and GPAs alone are not decisive. Although my GRE score is pretty high(above 1500) and GPA as well(around 3.9), they did not get me anywhere 2 years ago. If you are willing to put one or two years into an MA (if you don't have one already), polish your research topic and SOP, and work hard to impress a big name in your field for a strong LOR, I'm sure you will be able to get into any program you want.

I'm not sure if this answer is helpful, but if you perhaps share a bit more of your own stats, I might be able to help a bit more.

thanks very much for your reply. it's very helpful to hear about your background. congratulations on your acceptance-- it sounds like you're a great candidate.

as for my stats, i'm also an international student, with a BA from the US (an ivy league university). i have high intermediate proficiency in my two relevant research languages and am currently doing intensive language study to strengthen one of them. i don't have a MA, which seems like it might have been a strike against me from what you're saying (i guess the implication is lack of coursework and heavier requirement for funding, given that i wouldn't "just" be doing a PhD?) i have close to three years of experience being abroad in asia. i had a high GPA similar to yours and graduated phi beta kappa, although despite this, i also feel my application could have been weakened by irregularities in my coursework, as well as lack of grounding in literature and critical theory. i had high GRE scores and three LORs from very well-known professors in my fields of interest. i thought i had a pretty strong and focused SOP as well. i don't think i'm a flawless candidate, but i thought my application was strong and interesting. but it looks like i'm likely shut out of all PhD programs this year. sigh.

thanks very much for your reply. it's very helpful to hear about your background. congratulations on your acceptance-- it sounds like you're a great candidate.

as for my stats, i'm also an international student, with a BA from the US (an ivy league university). i have high intermediate proficiency in my two relevant research languages and am currently doing intensive language study to strengthen one of them. i don't have a MA, which seems like it might have been a strike against me from what you're saying (i guess the implication is lack of coursework and heavier requirement for funding, given that i wouldn't "just" be doing a PhD?) i have close to three years of experience being abroad in asia. i had a high GPA similar to yours and graduated phi beta kappa, although despite this, i also feel my application could have been weakened by irregularities in my coursework, as well as lack of grounding in literature and critical theory. i had high GRE scores and three LORs from very well-known professors in my fields of interest. i thought i had a pretty strong and focused SOP as well. i don't think i'm a flawless candidate, but i thought my application was strong and interesting. but it looks like i'm likely shut out of all PhD programs this year. sigh.

Thanks for sharing your stats. I'm sure that things will work out eventually. In my case, it took 2 years, but it was definitely worth it. I'm happy that I didn't get into any school back then and potentially had to settle for less because now I can virtually choose among the best programs in the country.

I heard from my graduate director that more and more students moving into PhD programs already have MAs. Getting into a PhD program with only a BA is certainly possible, but if you have to compete with guys who have already proven to be capable of doing graduate work, then I guess that might be a disadvantage. I'm not sure if students with MAs are necessarily cheaper since most of the time you get 5 year funding from the department, period. Anything beyond those 5 years you mostly have to take care of yourself through outside fellowships etc.

Also, the fact that you are an international student often times works against you when applying to public schools since for some reason international students are "more expensive." I got lucky with UCLA, but that is the exception, not the norm. After all, I got a rejection from Toronto since they were apparently not allowed to accept international students this year due to this very reason. Anyhow, I would recommend to any international student to focus on the rich private schools in the future.

Edited by nurye27

FWIW, I think nurye27 is dead on with this response.

My own stats are lower and i don't have a masters, but have still managed to land funded offers with all of the programs i've been accepted to. My recommenders are well-regarded and i worked for a long time on putting together my SOP with close advice from my undergraduate adviser, which seems to echo nurye27's remark that your LOR, SOP, and research agenda (i would add writing sample) are infinitely more valuable than any numerical stats. These are essentially what you're paying for when you get your MA -- names, connections, proof that you can do research, and an idea whether or not what you're doing is something people currently in the field think is important or exciting. Whether you get these when you're an undergrad, through an MA program, or by working as a researcher probably isn't too important, but having them makes all the difference.

thanks. it turns out that i didn't get in as i feared...sigh. may i ask what your stats are? do you have a master's degree already? just wondering in the interest of improving my application in future years.

alexicon, i'm a bit belated here, but sorry to hear you didn't get in. if you're still waiting on any current apps, i hope you have better luck.

while folks are on the subject of stats, by the way, i'm going to add my voice to the chorus of those saying master's degree is key. my stats are similar to nurye27's (a little lower in the GRE), and like him, i had a pre-MA application round that didn't go too well. i applied to a mix of PhD and MA programs coming out of undergrad 5 years ago, and only the two MA programs in the bunch accepted me - PhDs were flat denials all around, not even wait list. this time, with the same stats plus the MA and some research experience, i've had two admits, UCLA History among them. given my experience the last time, i was not too optimistic going into this round of applications, but i suspect that having proof of my ability to do graduate level work made all the difference.

anyway, best of luck once again on current or future applications!

Congratulations! You are accepted by so many schools!

Have you received formal admission from Columbia? I have not heard anything from them. Did they have interview or something like that? I am trying to figure out whether I still have a chance to get in. Thank you!

anyone scheduled their campus visits yet?

Edited by syakai59

Just to reiterate what I just posted on the results board: I heard from the prof I was in contact with at Harvard today that they've made their EALC decisions, 13 admits out of 130 applications, with 4 wait-listed.

Congrats to any admit who might be reading this! I was one of the wait-listed. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I also happen to have very lovely grandparents in their 90s who live in Massachusetts and would very much like for their only grandkid to come on back home, so, if you're feeling inclined to go somewhere else... just kidding. ;)

Just to reiterate what I just posted on the results board: I heard from the prof I was in contact with at Harvard today that they've made their EALC decisions, 13 admits out of 130 applications, with 4 wait-listed.

Congrats to any admit who might be reading this! I was one of the wait-listed. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I also happen to have very lovely grandparents in their 90s who live in Massachusetts and would very much like for their only grandkid to come on back home, so, if you're feeling inclined to go somewhere else... just kidding. ;)

Congs~~~~although waitlisted...I wish you could get in finally.

I have my finger crossed for you, and everyone who applied RSEA this year.

nurye, tenshi, happy elephant: thanks for your insights. it's helpful to know that other people went through a similar situation of getting shut out of PhD programs straight out of undergrad/pre-MA and that things turned out okay in the end. it gives me hope that i have a shot in the future at a PhD program, as i've been wondering whether i should take the rejections as a sign that i should drop my academic dreams.

unfortunately, i've been set on getting into a PhD program, so i didn't really bother much with researching and applying for master's programs, only applying to two. hindsight is 20/20, i suppose. but at least i did get into the master's programs (although i'm still waiting on funding details). so i guess i'll go with a master's first and try my luck again in the future.

Congratulations! You are accepted by so many schools!

Have you received formal admission from Columbia? I have not heard anything from them. Did they have interview or something like that? I am trying to figure out whether I still have a chance to get in. Thank you!

Actually, I haven't gotten the formal admission letter yet, but faculty have been in contact with me. There was no interview. If you've been wait-listed, there's still a chance you'll get in, so don't give up yet!