Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Just now, Determinedandnervous said:

Thank you! And yes, it's a $21,000 stipend plus money from RA/TA positions.

I should have tried. I feared funding would not be enough for me and my spouse, but since then I learned about the process for her to get a work permit and with this stipend we could be fine even if she worked part time on a minimum wage. Well, if this cycle does not hold up for me...

2 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

Congrats, everyone.

I for one have opened the wine to drown my sorrows (at my end it's 11pm, so that's acceptable I'd say :P ). Didn't hear from Berkeley nor Chicago (and didn't apply to any of the other schools that released today), so this is a dark day.

11pm at my end and feeling the same way too. The wait for my schools to communicate a decision, whatever it is, is getting really painful now. 

Congrats to all the people who got good news today!

Feeling a little down as Berkeley was one of my top two choices and I haven't heard anything from them. From the results page it seems like my numbers were fine for the cutoffs (so that's somewhat of a relief) though it looks like no international students have heard from them (or posted, if they did hear), so I wonder if my nationality was a factor. Trying to stay positive, in any case.

12 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

Congrats to all the people who got good news today!

Feeling a little down as Berkeley was one of my top two choices and I haven't heard anything from them. From the results page it seems like my numbers were fine for the cutoffs (so that's somewhat of a relief) though it looks like no international students have heard from them (or posted, if they did hear), so I wonder if my nationality was a factor. Trying to stay positive, in any case.

Not many Berkeley admits posted on the survey page last year either. So I assume Berkeley has already sent out all the offers (hopefully I am wrong). I agree that international students are facing more competition, however, I also doubt if the funding for intl students is retracted so that Berkeley can't admit any intl students, as someone else said earlier. Hopefully we can hear some good news from Berkeley tomorrow! 

Edited by shane94

8 minutes ago, shane94 said:

Not many Berkeley admits posted on the survey page last year either. So I assume Berkeley has already sent out all the offers (hopefully I am wrong). I agree that international students are facing more competition, however, I also doubt if the funding for intl students is retracted so that Berkeley can't admit any intl students, as someone else said earlier. Hopefully we can hear some good news from Berkeley tomorrow! 

to be more specific, very limited funding for intl students can be applied to all UCs. Particularly my subfield(AP/Theory), those who are applying for comp and IR as an intl student could have more chance than me in UCs.

GOOD LUCK.

3 hours ago, ultraultra said:

it looks like no international students have heard from them (or posted, if they did hear), so I wonder if my nationality was a factor.

As I said earlier, I was told that Berkeley (as the last of the UCs, more or less) still has an old policy in place that requires the department to pay tuition for international students (instead of the university just waiving it), which makes it hardly feasible for the department to take internationals.

Let's try to comfort ourselves with the thought that we might have made it if we were American ;) Then again, we'll never know. But we all have other applications in the running, and as much as this is a bummer, I'm sure something will work out!

1 hour ago, psc2016 said:

Would that be okay for me to email the DGS to inquire about the decision if I have not heard from Berkeley or Duke? 

I'd probably advise against it (partially out of sympathy for the person in charge of admissions who is probably flooded with inquiries from nervous applicants at this time of year). The most I can see you getting out of it is a response that says you should wait until the official result, which may well be tomorrow. It's stressful, I know, but I think you have to just grin and bear it until the official result comes in. 

Full disclosure, I say that from a position of being admitted somewhere (unreported Madison admission) so I'm less stressed about not hearing back from schools and I'd totally understand your position if you sent off a few inquiries.

Good luck!

Edited by theresgonnabe(goodtimes)

Another one bites the dust. Decisions are out for U Arizona Government & Public policy at results survey and i have yet to hear back from them. Dont know what to make of it. Probably going to trash bin. Funny though, that a referee didnt submit reference report. Till date. At least provides me a scapegoat to pin my failure on. 

On 3 February 2016 at 9:42 PM, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

A small suggestion, for those of you who see your letter writers more regularly, would be to ask them if they've heard anything or been contacted by programs. I've received informal news through my supervisor personally.

Regarding the post on the survey page that says UChicago acceptances might be a scam: I just spoke to my POI at Chicago, and he says the decisions were made a couple of days ago, so definitely this is all legit. Also he says they had over 500 applicants and offered only 21 admissions, so seems like ad comm also had a lot of tough choices to make this year...

32 minutes ago, Khaari said:

Regarding the post on the survey page that says UChicago acceptances might be a scam: I just spoke to my POI at Chicago, and he says the decisions were made a couple of days ago, so definitely this is all legit. Also he says they had over 500 applicants and offered only 21 admissions, so seems like ad comm also had a lot of tough choices to make this year...

Thanks. This is great information.