Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

3 minutes ago, ezra123 said:

I'm also American and haven't heard anything. It seems like very few have heard anything from Georgetown at this point.

Just seems odd to me that the deadline would be Dec. 15 and it would take them over two months to make decisions. I heard back from both UNT and USC within a week of their deadlines.

1 minute ago, VMcJ said:

Georgetown is still my best shot, but this delay means probably rejection, or worse, admission without funding.

What's your field? I've only seen a few people post acceptances randomly and I don't think any were Americanists

Just now, Sbrail2 said:

What's your field? I've only seen a few people post acceptances randomly and I don't think any were Americanists

Theory.

2 minutes ago, wpg205 said:

I know from a friend's experience that schools definitely reject applicants they think will get in and accept somewhere better.  There are so few spots that I think they are very strategic about who they accept. 

Awww, you just brightened that rejection for me :)

1 minute ago, wpg205 said:

I know from a friend's experience that schools definitely reject applicants they think will get in and accept somewhere better.  There are so few spots that I think they are very strategic about who they accept. 

I read an article about exactly this by someone who studied the grad school admissions process; it seems many departments are also concerned about the ratio of offers accepted to offers made as a metric of performance. 

I read that article as well, but that was about grad school applications at large. Given what happened to my friend (accepted at very high level programs, rejected by all of the lower ranked schools they applied to), I'm fairly confident it is going on in political science departments in particular. 

What's up with the Columbia admit??? Anyone claim the recent admit? Says that they checked website and got a fully funded ad. offer? I tried to check my account and its still listed as "submitted" I know I am most likely reject but I want some closure -_-

1 minute ago, japaniia said:

What's up with the Columbia admit??? Anyone claim the recent admit? Says that they checked website and got a fully funded ad. offer? I tried to check my account and its still listed as "submitted" I know I am most likely reject but I want some closure -_-

Mine is the same - still says the same "submitted" as it has for months now. Who knows...

1 minute ago, ezra123 said:

Mine is the same - still says the same "submitted" as it has for months now. Who knows...

Yeah I mean congrats to whoever got it, but I am here biting my nails hoping to get closure and nope, looks like I'll wait for a couple of weeks or so. Sigh, I just want it to be all over. I am also waiting on a couple of fellowships I applied for but hey, at least t you get acceptances or rejections around the same time you don't have to wait weeks or  months for the "no" haha! Patience gotta have patience....

13 minutes ago, japaniia said:

I can't speak to that admit's specific case, but I got presumably the same automated emailed from the Columbia GSAS today telling me to check the website where I could view my official offer/funding info. I don't know why they wouldn't have received the informal offer from the department several weeks ago though.

29 minutes ago, japaniia said:

That's me. Called the department and confirmed. Dept admin was extremely apologetic that I hadn't received informal offer, and said it was an administrative oversight. Weird all around, but not a spam admit.

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this thread for a while, taking in all the good advice - it's such a great community here!

It's nearly the end of this admittance cycle for me and it looks like I may end up having to choose between Ohio State and Cornell (though still waiting on funding offer from Ohio State). I'm IR/IPE, and they're both great programs for me in terms of fit, research interests etc. While OSU generally seems to be ranked slightly higher and place more empasis on methods training, Cornell appears to have a better placement record and better name recognition internationally. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on one over the other?

22 minutes ago, xoxo said:

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this thread for a while, taking in all the good advice - it's such a great community here!

It's nearly the end of this admittance cycle for me and it looks like I may end up having to choose between Ohio State and Cornell (though still waiting on funding offer from Ohio State). I'm IR/IPE, and they're both great programs for me in terms of fit, research interests etc. While OSU generally seems to be ranked slightly higher and place more empasis on methods training, Cornell appears to have a better placement record and better name recognition internationally. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on one over the other?

Cornell is an ivy; OSU is not -- just in case you want to get a job in communications department or outside of academia, going to Cornell makes more sense to me. Also, they are both top 20. People might care about the top 5/10 difference because top 5 are Chymps, but top 15/20 is rarely distinguishable. If funding and POIs are similar in both departments, I would vote for Cornell for sure 

28 minutes ago, xoxo said:

It's nearly the end of this admittance cycle for me and it looks like I may end up having to choose between Ohio State and Cornell (though still waiting on funding offer from Ohio State). I'm IR/IPE, and they're both great programs for me in terms of fit, research interests etc. While OSU generally seems to be ranked slightly higher and place more emphasis on methods training, Cornell appears to have a better placement record and better name recognition internationally. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on one over the other?

Name recognition is certainly something, but in some ways because they're ranked so close together you could make the most of OSU and still place very well. I know it's very well regarded in the Canadian university context. I would urge you to visit both to fell them out and speak to professors, as well as current grads, to ascertain if you like the vibe of the community and the focus of the department. They're also situated in very different settings - Columbus v. Ithaca. That's certainly something to consider.