Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Maybe this is not the right thread where to ask this, but are stipend figures final pocket money? Or is there any tax or something I should consider while start planning my finances?

1 minute ago, geraud said:

Maybe this is not the right thread where to ask this, but are stipend figures final pocket money? Or is there any tax or something I should consider while start planning my finances?

Stipend figures are definitely not the amount you can expect to receive. There is both federal and state tax that generally has to be paid (details obviously differ per place), plus there might be an array of university fees that may or may not be covered by the tuition portion of your funding as well as potentially health insurance related costs if that's through the university. The best way to know what you can expect to end up receiving is asking a current student discretely during the visit day.

35 minutes ago, reasonablepie said:

Stipend figures are definitely not the amount you can expect to receive. There is both federal and state tax that generally has to be paid (details obviously differ per place), plus there might be an array of university fees that may or may not be covered by the tuition portion of your funding as well as potentially health insurance related costs if that's through the university. The best way to know what you can expect to end up receiving is asking a current student discretely during the visit day.

Thank you very much!! I am not from the US and I was not aware of that info. Thanks again!

10 minutes ago, Tvent1986 said:

No. I do not have interest in MA. Well, I think it is a rejection. I didnt receive nothong abou wait list.

Schools that have MA programs (Duke, Chicago, Columbia, NYU) are waiting to send out rejections later because some rejections come with the Master offer. I won't be surprised if all NYU admit and WL decisions are out at this juncture, but an offer is still possible though unlikely 

On 10/9/2015 at 7:21 AM, Bubandis said:

Excellent! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Hello Bubandis, hope you are doing great. Dont mean any disrespect, but just wanted to ask you, where did you get the idea for that name from? And that name goes really well with the DP! Just want to pay my complements, as it always cracks me up!

1 hour ago, yasir8959 said:

Hello Bubandis, hope you are doing great. Dont mean any disrespect, but just wanted to ask you, where did you get the idea for that name from? And that name goes really well with the DP! Just want to pay my complements, as it always cracks me up!

I assume it's a Trailer Park boys reference? 

correct, it is a TPB reference. Most of the time they call Randy (the character who is my avatar), "Bobandy" or "Randy Bobandy," but there is on instance wherein a drunken Jim Lahey calls him "Bubandis" while talking on the phone in the shower.

Glad that some of you get a little amusement from the name :)

We just wrapped up the UVA visiting event yesterday. Was fun. Good luck to everyone in making your decisions. And, to those still in limbo, I expect that there will be plenty of wait list activity in the latter half of next month, so don't lose hope!

9 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

LOLZ -- Your DP is serene, tranquil but I feel its a bit sad... Why have you chosen sad DP if you don't mind me asking?

Hello all, I have been lurking for a while. Has anyone heard from Toronto by any chance? I asked them a while ago and they said early March so the coming week might have some big news! I have applied only to this school (not a good strategy but I have reasons) so you can imagine how my stress levels are. Good luck everyone!     

42 minutes ago, _Dreamer_ said:

Hello all, I have been lurking for a while. Has anyone heard from Toronto by any chance? I asked them a while ago and they said early March so the coming week might have some big news! I have applied only to this school (not a good strategy but I have reasons) so you can imagine how my stress levels are. Good luck everyone!     

Toronto is still not out-- I think they will be releasing decisions next week, though. 

4 minutes ago, psg1234 said:

Yeah. I just got an admission email from Colton. I am really excited, and yeah, again, can't thank you guys enough. I would have had no idea where to begin my application if not for this board. I am grateful to all of you! 

Thank you for confirming. And congrats! 

So I still have no update from Northwestern, application says "submitted",  grad status still says "a decision has not yet been rendered." I've tried messaging through the message center (no response for two weeks) and emailing (a week later, still no response). I just called today and left a voicemail but wasn't able to get through to anyone. Anybody have any advice? I know at this point it probably seems like I'm bothering them for a status update and it is likely a rejection but I'm just look for some closure and it seems weird to me that there's still no update. Thanks guys and gals. 

2 minutes ago, Adorno said:

So I still have no update from Northwestern, application says "submitted",  grad status still says "a decision has not yet been rendered." I've tried messaging through the message center (no response for two weeks) and emailing (a week later, still no response). I just called today and left a voicemail but wasn't able to get through to anyone. Anybody have any advice? I know at this point it probably seems like I'm bothering them for a status update and it is likely a rejection but I'm just look for some closure and it seems weird to me that there's still no update. Thanks guys and gals. 

I say if it's April 15 and they did not render a decision then you should ask for your money back.